POST ALL BBI TARGET/TRU ETC FINDS HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 pm

Is it just me, or does BBI have a thing with their figures heads looking like old men? Weren't most of the WWII soldiers (or even modern soldiers) in their 20's? Aside from that, these are great figures. Swapped the heads of the old-looking dudes with the figures with chutes, and have a paratrooper squad I'm really happy with. Keep up the good work, BBI.

And I know I've been one of the many clammoring for new types of soldiers, but with all the great figures we've been getting from BBI and 21C, could we maybe get a couple German grunts redone with the new joints? Looking at my diorammas, you'd think it was the articulation that cost them the war. :wink:

digger

figs

Post by digger » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:46 am

Morian - if you could get the new BoB German with open coat he is also a regular infantryman. He includes extra arms without the jacket & mittens, and a regular grey helmet. When you take the coat off he is in his plain uniform with new articulation. The only problem is getting a bunch in one shot. :roll:

As for the headsculpts I love them. The new bbi heads fit on the 21st paras just fine, and although some guys look too old we have gotten great likenesses from bbi over the years, like G. Bush, Eric Bana, Bruce Willis, John Wayne, Tom Sizemore, etc....makes it fun imo. :)

Morian Miner

Re: figs

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:00 pm

digger wrote:Morian - if you could get the new BoB German with open coat he is also a regular infantryman. He includes extra arms without the jacket & mittens, and a regular grey helmet. When you take the coat off he is in his plain uniform with new articulation. The only problem is getting a bunch in one shot. :roll:
Have a bunch of the BoB Germans. Love 'em for what they are. But, unless they've changed them on the ones showing up, they still are the old-style knee joint and one degree-of-freedom shoulder. That's what I'd like to see - a semi-super-articulated german to go with the paras (oh, and some artillery :D )

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm

Artillery! :D
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:25 pm

Snagged all six of the new Army figures today at the TRU in Albany NY today, plus four of them as stocking-stuffers for my son. First I've seen up this way, and I almost missed them - they were still in the case box, tucked up into one of those overhead cupboards (if you know what I mean).

digger

Paras at Amazon

Post by digger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:26 pm

Well, the paras are at Amazon for their regular in store price making them cheaper than the modern guys which are $8 at amazon.

So....I could either wait another 3-4 weeks for the new WWII guys to show there, OR I could figure out a way to track these suckers down :) Anyone have ANY idea how to distinguish these figures from the earlier desert figs with the same skn? Is there a # on the case I could use? I wonder how TRU even tells the cases apart when they are sealed? :?
There is obviously some miscommunication at bbi because Mike said they are available to small retailers but the small retailers say they are not. :roll: I hate to keep ranting on this but it really is the nightmare days of TRU all over again - a new item, out for 3 weeks, exclusive to their store, and it is impossible to find it... :x :evil: :twisted:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:53 pm

how come Amazon is selling XD stuff? They have BOB germans, red 3 FW 190 etc. What's up with that?

I see they still won't ship toys to Canada. I have no idea why..

digger

only online

Post by digger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 pm

Amazon has had XD [again] for a while now, just not tru. They have a good deal on a set of the BoB figures btw....I just can't wait until they get the new bbi guys....now to find an amazon coupon... 8)

You will see Target online has XD as well. They sometimes carry items (in all depts.) that are not in the chain distribution. In this case they have XD.

5ohsinker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by 5ohsinker » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:53 pm

There were African American paratroopers, but none that saw combat. The triple nickels, the 555th, was sent west to battle forest fires.

digger

bbi figure review

Post by digger » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:41 am

OK....I waited a year for these guys and now I finally got my hands on a set. For those who want to skip the LONG review, let me just say - awesome. These new bbi figures are on par with the XD Japanese in terms of articulation and detail, with some pros and a few minor cons.

Articulation - the Japanese actually have a point that these guys do not (right above the knee), but three of these guys have the sweet ankle-joint we have come to know from the early bbi guys. This point does wonders for having the guys crouch/creep around. Also, some of the guys can get more than a 90 degree bend on their arm so they can get to almost proper firing position. The extra arm from old XD figures are still best in this regard though. Overall the articulation is good, with the figures being able to do splits with no gear or limbs popping off. No figure stands though - and no hole in the feet - take that for what it's worth.

This leads me to sturdiness - these are VERY sturdy. No bbi "breaks" like we use to have. These really can be flung around by kids like a GiJoe. (On a side note I found an RAH Joe on card from '88 and it has a $4.99 price tag on it! The four inch figure market has had 20 yr. price stability!!).

Another reason they can be 'played' with is because their gear is stuck on, aside from the packs & helmets. The gear on the chest can be plucked off like on the bbi modern figures, but it does not seem like it is meant to be removed. The gear on their belts is molded on. SO, customizing will be tough. You cannot mix & match gear like on the 21C Paras to get a bunch of similar but unique soldiers (like in my webshots album). This hurts the most because no two of the new guys are alike. That is, no two guys are from the same unit so if you want 6 battle-ready Screaming Eagles, they will all be virtually identical from the neck down. On the one hand you will never lose a map case or a canteen, but on the other there is a lot less creativity in setting them up.

Headsculpts - Love them. Yea, some guys look older but the detail is all there and the heads "pop" right off and are easily switched with S1 paras.

Weapons - sweet and plenty of them - we know this from the S1 paras (wow, buying all those paras seems stupid now....I guess that's why they didn't announce this wave earlier :roll: ).

1) The jump ready para - he sucks. That makes 7 of 12 bbi figures with life-vests on :evil: . Every case of these new guys I get my hands on I will have 2 more of these worthless guys. His backpack is also on the right (wrong) way so he is LESS accurate than the S1 paras from bbi. He is literally worthless to me.

2) The Pathfinder is cool, but his headsculpt is so unique (with camo & deep blue eyes) that his possibilities are limited (and my guy was missing his backpack :? ).

3) The US 2nd Ranger is cool, though a little "uptight" looking and too clean. He just got his uniform from the dry-cleaner.

4) The 101st Airborne guys is one of my favs - he's the perfect battle-ready para. Shame they didn't do 2 of him. Doofy look on his face but he comes with good weapons and displays very well because when you bend his knee it does not reveal the color of the orginal plastic like it does on the S1 paras and some of these guys. It is cool that the figures are painted - but the pitfall is missing a spot or a joint here or there.

5) US 29th Infantryman - WOW. A regular with removable helmet....need I say more? OK...he is weathered beautifully, has the great ankles and a life-like face. Drawbacks include his unpainted knees (see above) and the BAR ammo stuck on him. If this ammo was removable you could use this guy to build the entire 29th Infantry...he is awesome.

6) The US Ranger is my favorite. His uniform is cool, he is battle-hardened, his joints are flawless and he possibly has the BEST 1:18 headsculpt ever. He is SO BADASS looking down his .45 that you will just stare back at him :shock: .

Now please don't make me wait a year for S3. I really hope they continue to release waves with a variety of figures but with overlap so with time you could get a few different Pathfinders, Screaming Eagles, Infantrymen...etc....I guess like the 1/6th figure market...

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:17 am

5ohsinker wrote:There were African American paratroopers, but none that saw combat. The triple nickels, the 555th, was sent west to battle forest fires.
Thanks for the info on this unit. I didn't know they exsisted.
I know for US wars 1860 - 1948, black troops were given very unsavory duty (manual labor type jobs). With noteable excepts: 54th Mass in Civil War, Buffalo Soldiers during the late 1800's Indian Wars, Tuskeegee Airman in WWII (anyone know of any unit from WWI?). Problem was the soldiers could fight just as well or better than white soldiers could, but most were not allowed or given the opportunity to do so.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

digger

bbi figs

Post by digger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:08 am

I went to TRU Corporate sales with the card back yesterday; I was ready to buy a container if I had to...but of course to no avail. The identical Skn # is driving me crazy because the office will order you a case - but if it turns out to be the old Desert guys they will not refund your money. :? It's a gamble I'm almost ready to take. 8)

I was thinking if our hobby ever took off in the toy world (my bro saw an FOV ad on TV....that's cool) these new bbi figures would be like Dancing Elmo - impossible to find! I can get anything in this city...anything....and I can't get a bunch of these figs. :roll: One month since release...excitement turning into fatigue and desparation... :( :o

PS - you know the distribution sucks when even the scalpers don't have them. One month after release of ANY WM item and the thing is listed all over ebay. My last hope I think is Amazon...

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 am

Just got my set of these figures in the mail today. I got them in a trade with raiderad6. So far I have only opened two of them, but man do I love them. Great figures, only problem I have with them is no figure stand holes in the feet. The distinct look of each doesn't bother me since I won't be attempting to build an army or anything. That is what the XD BOB and first series figures are for. Now I just wish I would have gotten the olive green XD Marines instead of the camo XD Marines. Hmm, must find the WW II BBI Paratroopers now.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 am

I got my set of figures earlier from Birddog and I agree with the general opinion as to the superior quality. Best WWII figures yet, IMHO. I like the fact that all the little accessories (canteens, clips, pistol holsters, etc. are glued or moulded on as now they can't get lost. I totally agree with Digger's sentiments regarding the inclusion of another Para figure wtih straps and lifevest - there's not much use for that one. I bought only a couple of the S1 Paras (with chutes) and glad I didn't stock up on those due to their limited usage - though they do look cool being displayed hanging from the ceiling with open chutes supported by a wire frame. The accessories are the other big selling point. Now I've got a bunch of extra .50 cal Machine Guns, bzookas and mortars (with rounds!) Plus all the hand grenades. All around excellent work by BBI! Now they need to make a quality basic 1:18 jeep that is readily avaliable as their hummers and dune buggies were in the past.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:20 pm

my hometown TRU and wally world still suck!
no new BBI or 21st at either one
i really want a couple of BBI, M2HB 50 cal machine guns and GIs to man them
i need to set up a perimeter around the 14 girls i got from a 1/18 car site
the japanese & german troops are trying to raid them

digger

Post by digger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:47 pm

KAGNEW wrote:i need to set up a perimeter around the 14 girls i got from a 1/18 car sitethe japanese & german troops are trying to raid them
:D

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:07 pm

Haven't seen the new BBI WW2 figuures in the Houston area yet. I've been looking since the initial spotting. The TRUs here are flush with just about everything BBI Elite force, including P-51s and the WW2 paratroopers. The Corsair is a bit short in supply, but it can be found. I hope the new figs show up soon, as I am getting tired of wasting gas since searching on the phone is useless. If anyone else in the Houston area sees them, please post it.

digger

paras

Post by digger » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 am

The S1 bbi paras are very limited - you can remove the shoulder straps from the figure but NOT the harnesses. As said, they are great figures but the limitation and repetition hurts. And there is a 7th harnessed figure that was released with S2. Total of 6 different figures - only 5 of which are ready for battle. :?

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:15 pm

still no GIs at TRU or WW
dog gone it

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:46 pm

The BBI Paratroopers are certainly limited in their use but they sure can look great when displayed the way my three are :)

Sorry about the somewhat blurred pics, but I was holding the camera in a rather odd way within the confines of my closet!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:22 pm

Hey t what did you use to keep the shrouds open? I would like to put them up in my class.
Aaron

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:05 pm

I made a wire frame to keep the chute canopies open. The frame is 12" in diameter with a couple of curved cross pieces. The wire I used is 18 gauge, I think. I made a base piece that is circular and 12" in diameter. I then cut a couple more pieces of wire (about 14 - 18 inches long) to make a couple of rounded cross pieces to hold the chute out. The resulting shape resembles a corsshairs when looked down upon. I used tight wrapping of the wire and masking tape to hold the wires in place. The frames are strung up by fishingline and the chutes/frames are on hooks so they can be easily removed. The results weren't too bad!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanx.
Aaron