What's the last 21st XD you saw at retail?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

What's the last 21st XD you saw at retail?

Post by flayrah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Three (??) years ago, in the after-Christmas mobs of a WalMart, I found a Ridgerunner in badly beaten box. It didn't have a price tag, the price scanner wasn't working (not working at WalMar! I was shocked!! :lol:), and the XD P-51 isn't my favorite model, so I put it back down and went on my way. I still think about it though, probably was $20 or less.

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: What's the last 21st XD you saw at retail?

Post by Tinman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 pm

I think the last XD I saw in a retail store was either two or three years ago (can't remember for sure), December 2008 or 2009, at the KB Toys outlet store (which is no longer there) near Waterloo NY. They had a few of the American, Battle of the Bulge figures scattered among the shelves. I'm pretty sure that was 2009, not 2008, but who knows....

YT

Post by YT » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 pm

F-104 Smoke 2 at a TRU in Springfield IL about 2 years ago. About 6 months before that I saw a huge stack of the 50 cal trailers at a TRU in Iowa, still full price...
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Bunches of those Hanomags with cannons for me at Toys R Us.

About 3 years ago as well.

Oh.. and Flying Tigers P-40s as well.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Platoon figures on clearance at Walmart for around $2 a piece, along with the 2-packs. I bought quite a few.
Last XD planes I saw were the Pearl Harbor Taylor and Welch P-40's and a Smoke F-104 for $25, I bought one of each.
Last 1:18 tank was an RC Panzer (maybe because it was in the RC section)

There was still a trickle of 1:32 after that.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:05 pm

21st Figures at KB toys when they closed, 3 figs for $9..... that was the sale and they'd sell them for $3 each as well.
I'm with Tinman on this "09.
The last plane I saw was at walmart ........... Stuka..........$15..... Don't ask.................... :roll:

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 pm

DAK figures... artillery spotters to be exact.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:44 pm

I can't remember the last time I bought 1/18 at retail. Even when they were in TRU and Wallyworld, and Tuesday Morning, I waited for clearance sales to stock up, and of course with the MD blow out, I filled my shelves.

Mrs. TTT says she is gonna bury me with them........ :wink:

No retail for years.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:03 am

I can remember the stacks of Atlantic Avengers sitting around WM for 25.00 each. I was waiting for the Geo. Bush Avenger in blue, so I didn't bite on them, at first...
But I think the BoB figures at KB Toys were the very last 21st XD item I saw at a retail place.
Sad to think you can't walk into a WM or TRU and buy any XD stuff.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 am

Probably the last xd stuff I saw was at an upstate NY WM in 2008 or 2009. I was only 10 or 11 and I don't really remember prices. It was some 1:72 planes on a little spot on the shelves. The sad thing is, I didn't even know they were going out of business!!! I had only discovered them a year or two before and I didn't know much about them. The last of 1:18 I can remember is some platoon figs, I hadn't seen them before and I thought they were a brand new series and that 21st Century was going strong... Until stuff started disappearing of the shelves... I was like "where the heck is everything!?!?! They couldn't be going out of...business." Oh the horror. I was so disappointed. My beloved 21st Century was no longer easily available!! So, yeah that's my story.

This thread makes me want to cry... :( :cry:

COME BACK 21ST CENTURY TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :cry:

AJ
Last edited by AJWW2 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it be like dat

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 am

After Chinook and Hobby West sold their XD products to PMHobbycraft, the new store just dumped the figures in a giant bin, and the vehicles were on the highest shelf. I spent a day going through that bin and bought 4 Japs, 5 Nam men (3 platoon, 2 AB), 2 OMG, Sgt. Burns, and some others. Due to the placement of the vehicles, you could only get them down by request so I couldn't look over their stock. At that point and time, I only had one tank, Red 332, and picked out the only visible one they had - a winter M41. Who knows what else was on that shelf: Hanomags, ammo carriers, jeeps, other tanks, planes?

After 8 months, all the vehicles were sold and the remaining figures were dumped in a shopping cart hidden in the back corner of the store. The figures: Corsair, Stuka, Mustang, and 109 pilots, BOTB Riflemen and tankers, and marines.

The last item to be sold was a Stuka Gunner.

Calgary's overpriced hobby store, Model Land, has three XD planes in their basement: 1st series 262 for $110, Soviet Mig $115, and a Canadian F104 for $110. These may forever linger down there until the end of time - unless I cough up some money and buy them all!

YT

Post by YT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:51 am

The time of extinction, is exactly when I decided to get into the hobby. It was the Monkey Depot sale that brought me in. I remember seeing huge piles of XD at Walmart on clearance but resiting the urge to delve into a new hobby, a choice that cost me a pretty penny in the long run.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Karl Dak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Karl Dak » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:20 am

It sounds like you guys were all pretty lucky to buy even one fig in the stores. While I remember seeing 21st Century figs and vehicles in my local WM and TRU, I wasn't into the military stuff back then. Overlooked quite a bit; now buying on Ebay for premium price$+. Neat topic though - it's nice to read all the great finds back in the day.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Bunches of those Hanomags with cannons for me at Toys R Us.

About 3 years ago as well.

Oh.. and Flying Tigers P-40s as well.
Ditto that on TRU and both the halftrack and P-40. It was Aug., and 3 years sounds about right.

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Canadian F-104 at Wal-Mart for $25 about 3 years ago.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

snake

Post by snake » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Never seen these at retail.

My brother, who lived in the States for a number of years suggested I try the 21 Century 1/18, as he had had a couple. First 1/18 purchase off Ebay. P-38 D-Day. :shock:

Nugget
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nugget » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 pm

This thread makes me sad :(.

Probably KB Toys in 2009, I remember them having multiple sets of 21C OMG and S1 Marines for $3 each. I really, really, really wish I had bought a set of each. I think Walmart had stuff until the end too, I know I got the 21C .30 gunner and M1 Garand 'sniper' for $5 each at a super walmart.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 am

I cannot honestly say I ever saw huge piles of 21st stuff on clearance, save for one time.

It was the big blitz of 1:18 hanomags, M16 HT's, Avenger, and such... It sat, wrapped up in plastic wrap on pallets in the lawn/garden area for a month, was opened RIGHT before Xmas, and clearanced almost immediately. Barley any of it ever even saw full retail price, much less in an area even close to the toy section. Goofiest move ever.

Anyway, I stocked up... I bought everything but the Avenger in bulk at the time.

I saw some 21st stuff hit clearance, don't get me wrong... A lot of it even was selling well, but eventually would hit a clearance for one reason or another. But other than the one time at WM, I never saw a floor to ceiling pile... The only thing close was TRU's stack of fountain playsets, haha. I like it, but it was definitely overpriced for what it was.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

YT

Post by YT » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:49 pm

It seems Walmart has taken on TRU's philosophy on clearance. I don't even cruise down their clearance isle anymore, no deals. Sometimes items even have the red clearance tag and are at full retail. Seems like a huge shift from these 21st fire sales back in the day...

jdowd1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jdowd1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 am

The WWII museum store in New Orleans had 10 cases of grey Avengers on sale for $25.00/Avenger. I bought just about all of em back in 2008.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:57 am

The reissued P-40 at Toysrus in '08. Last aircraft before I gave up on 21st. Sad to see these 'detailed' planes shift from mass retail to specialty shops.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 am

My local Hobbytown USA store still has an 88mm gun, M-48 tank, a couple gray Pak-40s and a couple Stuka-zu-Fuss Hanomags for sale. The prices aren't bad, either, but they haven't moved for months. They are what was left from a restock of sorts of a bunch of 1:18 21c and BBI items the store got in last year that included mostly various 21c halftracks and a few armor pieces (including a diecast Tiger in the Wal Mart Motorworks box and a USAF F-104!) It was quite a glorious moment last year when I walked into the store to see the shelves full of nearly 30 XD and BBI items :D

Whats there a year later (even after the store moved locations) is the final remnant of 21c XD left at retail in my town :(

At mass retail, some of the last XD I recall seeing was the S2 Pak-40 Hanomag and some 32x playsets at TRU and some $1 Bruno Bauer figures at Wal Mart.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 pm

About a year ago I found three of the DAK MG figures at TRU. They were priced at $4.99 so I went ahead and bought them.

Its not 21st but the last BBI I found was the light grey Zero that I found at the local hobby shop 4 months ago. I bought it for $69.99.

lancelot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lancelot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:16 pm

the last ones I saw were a few German gunners with STG 44s and a few U.S. infantry men with 30. caliber machine guns. They were five bucks each. I wish I had the forty bucks to buy all of them at the time, but at least I walked out of there with a couple.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Vietnam F 104 at TRU in Bloomington ILL probably 2 years ago
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83