Shipping help!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Shipping help!!!

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi guys, someone is wanting to charge me $45 to send a P38 from texas to NC.

Is this crazy or what??? In the auction the shipping was $25 and he said he was going to give me a quote. I figured it would be cheaper than $25. Now he's charging $45!!!! 0_0 I mean, if he's sending it Priority then MAYBE that high. I'm going to ask him to send it parcel.

What do you guys think is going on?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0634513280
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Re: Shipping help!!!

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Also, if he's holding firm and won't budge, do I have any ground to stand on if I file a claim? I hope I don't have to. :| :(

Or am I going to be screwed?
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm

I see, priority rates are CRAZY! JESUS!!! Well, asking him to send it Parcel. No problems there. :D Hopefully.
--Samuel Beckett

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Shipping costs are a combination of both weight and package dimensions nowadays. Unfortunately, shippers like UPS, etc. started to take measurements of the boxes a while back. I personally think it was just a way to jack up the prices. I don't know if the Post Office does that or not, as I usually ship by Fedex or UPS. I have been rather shocked at what the current prices are.

It used to be pretty reasonable to ship things when they just went by weight. The P38 takes a sizeable box, even though it does not weigh very much, so that gives them a chance to raise the price.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:49 pm

It just hit me with a curve ball! :shock: Parcel is REALLY expensive. SHEESH! I used to be able to ship a large plane priority at the same price PARCEL is now. :shock: :shock:
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 pm

He's gouging you flyboy. I have sent very large packages bigger than a loose P-38 and weighing a lot more for less than $25.
If the auction said $25 for shipping than he has no right to charge you any more, bottom line, that's it.

Go to customer support (upper right hand corner) type in "shipping overcharge" it will tell you exactly what to do (it's better that you read it for yourself) but basically it says to contact him first and say that $25 is the maximum you will pay because that's what the auction said. If he gives you any trouble then you contact ebay from the same page.

I do know that he cannot do anything to you for 4 days from the auction's end. He cannot demand payment in any less time. He says 48 hours but you've got 4 days per ebay policy. You do not have to pay anything till then which gives you time to work out the differences. Make sure you do what needs to be done before then. He cannot leave a negative (like he says) he cannot relist it for 4 days. If he gets nasty and sends you a damaged airplane, you've still got him by the balls. You can leave him a negative and lower his DSR's. Don't threaten him just play by the rules you'll be ok. $25 is still high for shipping but you knew that before you won it.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Well, for a broken down P38, $25 I figured was TOPS!!! He's sending it intact in a 3'x3' box, priority mail!!!

Here's what I said. I am going to get a new one a bad cat I think. :) Just going to repaint anyway. :P
Hi, I am sorry if you feel the shipping is going to break the bank but this plane is large and does not have its original box. I don't know how you are saying it should ship for 20.00. I am not taking it apart to ship it. I bought this plane just as you see it and it cost me over 40.00 to get it myself and I paid more for it than what you bought it for. I am packing this so it will not get damaged. I went to the PO today and to send it cheapest way possible is still over 30.00 dollars. The size of the box it is in now is 36x36x12 with plenty of packing to prevent shipping damage. If you are willing to accept it as it arrives, I will repack it to get it down to less than 30.00 dollars and insure it for whatever you want, and will send it however you want. I do not feel right about this, but it is yours now so you tell me what you want me to do. Yes, I have sold and shipped several of these myself and when they are in their orig. packageing they are not expensive to ship. If you feel I am cheating you on the price, let me know and I will refund your money and you can go ahead and get elswhere. Thanks, ----
Hi ----,

I did not mean any disrespect and I know your not cheating me . I did not know you where going to leave it intact and ship it. That would make the price considerably higher I'm sure. I didn't know shipping was going to go $20 over the $25 stated in the auction. I was basing it on a P38 in broken down form going parcel post(I fully understand your hesitancy about breaking it down and sending it parcel). Which would be around $19 to send parcel + insurance.
I sadly can not go any more over the original price. I have reached my budget for this month. If you would not mind refunding the money, I would greatly appreciate it. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Alex
--Samuel Beckett

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:48 am

That's just a case of the hard knocks ... for him. Once you place a shipping quote in an auction you must live by it. No matter what. It's one of the reasons why it sold because of the lower shipping quote. I'm sure the final selling price would have been lower had he advertised $45.00 shipping. The quote calls for "Standard Shipping" ... which I would think is the cheapest.

Do what Dauntless suggested and get eBay involved on the price gouging. Things will change after that.

~ Jeff

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:32 am

So far no need to. Instead of him refunding me, he's agreeing the the $25.
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:37 am

That's the thing, if he didn't have the foresight to measure and weigh the item before he listed it to come up with that calculation of $25 then he has to come up with the difference in shipping, not pass it on to the customer, you. Ebay is very strict with any shenanigans by sellers, that's why so many of them are dropping like flies and or getting forced out at the slightest infractions.

If he wants to refund your money it's probably for the best, and you buy elsewhere like you said if he can't guarantee no damage in shipping (don't fall for that crap) Obviously he doesn't know anything about taking apart a 21stC plane.

Make sure he goes through the proper channels to "mutually agree" to end the transaction. Look for an official ebay e-mail in that regard, once he initiates it. Looks like you handled it the right way. Make sure you get all your money back, no restocking, handling fees. His mistake not yours.

He's setting himself up for some trouble with the next guy who buys it if he can't disassemble it, pack it properly, and get that shipping price down.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:43 am

That's good you worked it out (I think) Just make sure you get an undamaged plane. What's good is you still have recourse if it arrives damaged.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 am

Exactly. So, at least the buyer is protected. Sellers really need to... walk on glass I guess you could say. There is like NO seller protection. :o
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 am

Yeah, that's the new rules. We may not like it, but it's adapt or die. That's why I'm still a powerseller / preferred with 100% feedback. I bend over backwards when I make a mistake, which doesn't happen often, and then some. There are a few protections for the seller, but ya gotta play the game.

I'll bet you're gonna customize that P-38. Can't wait to see what you come up with. It'll be worth a helluva lot more than the price you paid, which still ain't bad if you keep it stock.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:16 am

.......... glad you got it worked out Alex 8) , sounds like the seller was hoping to capitalize on it w/ that shipping. $25.00 bucks or less is reasonable , but nobody has ever sent me an XD AC that cost that much , even sent from CA. loose or MIB . :roll:

- MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 am

That's why the customer is always considered "The King".

Also, sellers must realize there is a certain amount of sweat equity that goes into almost every transaction too.

~ Jeff

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:27 pm

So he wasn't removing the wings and tail booms? I just won a Cal. Cutie and the seller has $15.85 on it from California to Maryland, but it is in its original box. So it will be a bit smaller in physical size.

Flyboy, let me know if you do end the sale, I may have an extra P-38 if you are looking for one.

Kris

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:27 pm

He's agreeing to it so we shall see. It's my first P38 so if you have an extra it would be nice! I love the P38!!!!!!!
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 pm

So, I asked the guy Friday if he's shipped it like he said he was going to... no reply yet. :|
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Hes totally screwing you... Parcel post from USPS can send a broken down P-38 for $15 to $20 tops!

When you get it if there is no price he paid on it go take to the PO and ask them how much it cost to send to him and youll have your answer....

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Good deal. I hope I get it. Slightly funny when they don't answer your question. :\
--Samuel Beckett

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fullyautomatic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:16 am

Shipping 1/18 planes in their original boxes is a nightmare, especially with the plastic windows to contend with. Like Snake Man said it's more the size of the box than the weight these days and these planes take a big box. Trying to find boxes as close to the size of the planes is hard to come by and I usually double box them to prevent damage to the plastic windows. The P-38 could probably get away with a single box, if it was shipped in its original box but I see this isn't the case here.
Just as an example the last Corsair I sent Parcel post USPS was around $35 I believe. I checked with UPS first and they were more. You guys that are shipping for $25 and less...I guess I need lessons from you.
Glad it worked out for you flyboy_fx. If you need another P-38 give me a shout.I'm still here in NC.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 am

Good to hear! Well, I'm hoping this guys is still going to send it out. :roll: I guess it's right after a holiday so...
--Samuel Beckett

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:39 pm

I was looking at that auction earlier as well. I would of bid for it if it weren't for Badcat's reduced Putt Putt Maru model with free shipping & an additional 5% off. I would of loved to have acquired the California Cutie but I haven't seen one less then $150-$200 as of yet.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I wish I had know about bad cats. :cry: It's not like I spent too much more for a 21st one though. :o I did spend too much on a S1 stuka I think. I spend like $92 shipped. :shock:
--Samuel Beckett

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:It just hit me with a curve ball! :shock: Parcel is REALLY expensive. SHEESH! I used to be able to ship a large plane priority at the same price PARCEL is now. :shock: :shock:
USPS prices have gone up a lot, and Parcel is no longer a good deal - the USPS is trying to steer everyone to priority mail. If you are shipping a larger package outside of zone 5 (basically anything larger than that 12x12x8 priority mail cube) you are paying a volumetric weight. That P-38 could easily be $45 to ship outside of zone 5. Parcel post is probably in the neighborhood of $18-$20 if it is going some distance. That's reality. If you don't' believe the seller, ask him to send you the weight and dimension of the shipping carton then price-check it yourself on USPS.COM
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com