BBI's "Erich Hartmann" Bf-109, where to put the k98 ?.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

BBI's "Erich Hartmann" Bf-109, where to put the k98 ?.

Post by Aslav » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 am

Anybody got one of these and know where the k98 rifle should be placed/stored in the 109?
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: BBI's "Erich Hartmann" Bf-109, where to put the k98 ?.

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am

In the cockpit. Hartman was that good a marksman, he had all other armament removed from his aircraft and used to down the enemy warbirds with just one or two rounds fired from his trusty rifle.

Or - as provided by greendevil41 on the BF-109G-TROPICAL thread....

The correct answer given in excellent detail:

Re: BF_109G-Tropical
There was a two piece rack assembly with the rifle inserted into a hole in the rear rack and held in the second one with a leather strap and buckle arrangement. It was positioned in the upper portion of the fuselage near the spine with the muzzle towards the tail and the sights facing down. It was accessed through the door on the left side of the plane. For weight and balance purposes, the weight was computed as 4 kg for the rifle and 3 kg for the rack. The tropical survival kit and water were stowed there as well.

And just to be one hundred percent accurate, the Kar98k in the picture I found is a earlier one with a solid walnut stock (not laminated), Flat butt plate (not cupped) and almost certainly has the early milled H-band. No corner cutting here... we'll be checking!

.....Well you wanted to know!
All the best.
Sam

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 am

so i gather there's no way to actually store the rifle in the plane? Was Hartmann ever shot down in this plane? Would make a cool dio to have his downed aircraft and him pulling his rifle out. I guess you'd need to cut open the access hatch.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm

According to most historians, Hartmann was never shot down and never had to bail from his plane. He did, however, crash land due to damages suffered...mostly from hitting debris from aircraft he shot down. Such was his tactics that he held fire until he was close (sometimes TOO close) for a sure kill and quick escape. Historians credit Hartmann with the lose of 7 fighters this way....including a TROP damage by debris that he crash landed behind Russian lines. While trying to follow orders and recover the precision clock from his fighter, he was captured by Russian troops. Hartmann later escaped during a Stuka attack and made his way back to "friendly" lines only to be fired upon by German troops....a shot passing through his trousers but missing his leg. The first fighter Hartmann lost was during one of his first combat missions when he ran out of fuel and crashed his G-4. He was grounded for three days and forced to work with the ground crews as punishment for loosing valuable German property. Okay...off the soap box now.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Mad Sam wrote:In the cockpit. Hartman was that good a marksman, he had all other armament removed from his aircraft and used to down the enemy warbirds with just one or two rounds fired from his trusty rifle.
I've read he got very close to his opponents and shot them down with very few rounds, and lost a few 109's flying through the debris, but downing a plane with his rifle? This is something I've never heard of. Quite a feat. How did he do this? Open the cockpit and shoot the pilot in the other plane WWI style?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Star56
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Star56 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 am

Dauntless wrote:
Mad Sam wrote:In the cockpit. Hartman was that good a marksman, he had all other armament removed from his aircraft and used to down the enemy warbirds with just one or two rounds fired from his trusty rifle.
I've read he got very close to his opponents and shot them down with very few rounds, and lost a few 109's flying through the debris, but downing a plane with his rifle? This is something I've never heard of. Quite a feat. How did he do this? Open the cockpit and shoot the pilot in the other plane WWI style?

I think his post was in jest. I can't imagine a rifle floping around in a cockpit during a dogfight!

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 am

Hmm, Sorry, yes, its that Brit humour thing...hence why I posted the real desciption lower down.

Cheers
Sam

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 am

he did however once shoot down a Lagg with his Luger pistol, after his machine guns ran out of ammo.

No, that's a joke too.

So back to my question: i gather there is no way of installing the rifle in the actual bbi plane? And it was just included as a nice, but rather unusable, touch?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:41 am

I think you're right. You probably wouldn't be able to show the rifle in use by Hartmann, but his crew chief did on one occasion take a rifle and go out to rescue the pilot after he crash-landed his '109 behind enemy lines. Perhaps there's a diorama in their meeting.

I didn't have a clue he bagged a Lagg with a Luger! .............

Cheers
Sam