The 1/18 Welly diecast Jeep Willys is out and looks great!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

The 1/18 Welly diecast Jeep Willys is out and looks great!

Post by acisne » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am

A bud from a diecast site posted these pictures of his.
IMHO, it looks excellent and as good as the AutoArt for 1/6 the price once the US gets them. Check these ebay auction for more close up pics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-Jeep-1-4 ... 3f18c6d704

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-Welly-Will ... 33633503ad

I would wait until they make it to this side of the World as all of them seem to being sold from China.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: The 1/18 Welly diecast Jeep Willys is out and looks grea

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:54 am

Sorry, but I don't see any difference between this and some other brands, except of course, the large price.

Are they playing again with the term "diecast" to mean metal but is used interchangable with plastic. Which is it?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Sorry, but I don't see any difference between this and some other brands, except of course, the large price.

Are they playing again with the term "diecast" to mean metal but is used interchangable with plastic. Which is it?

TTT
Exactly what I said above, why buy the $240 AutoArt when this is going to be $40 once it gets here.

Most 1/18 "diecast" have a metal (zamac) body with the rest of the parts plastic. There are only a handful of 1/18s "diecast" that are 100% metal.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I think you can make a good argument that the Welly is a better value than the Autoart, but I think saying it is just as good for 1/6 the price is stretching. The detail on the Autoart blows the Welly and all other 1/18 willy's away. Canvas seats, lots of detailed and removeable accessories (like the M1 on the dash). See below:

ImageImage
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:41 pm

What make is Pcoughran's pics. It looks super except for the seats. Tjhe seats look like burlap. No Jeep had burlap seats. Canvas was used, unless the user was a high ranking officer, then leather.

Super Jeep.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm

The Autoart is by far a better detailed 1:18 diecast, but the Welly is available now at a very reasonable price, it will allow folks who don't have one to get it and for guys who customize not to search ebay for a 1:18 that does'nt cost a arm and a leg, I'm glad to see someone offer a jeep in 1:18 :D

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Did the GIs get a giant Philip screw driver to remove the M1 out of the dash? :lol: and did they stop at Walmart to get a sealed battery? :D
Also were there shifter knobs OD or black?

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I did use a giant slotted screwdrivers to remove WW2 wheel drums
on my WC-56 Command Car. Phillips? No. Rifle rack? No giant screws of any kind.

Shifter knobs were black and military batteries look nothing like that is pictured.

Good catch acisne. :lol: Wasn't the first Wallyworld in Normandy, right accross the road from MickeyDees. :roll:

TTT

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 am

:roll: I thought everyone knew ACE Hardware supplied the Army with their giant Philips screwdrivers and sealed batteries (Wallyworld wasn't founded till 1962).

I didn't mean to get you all "riled up" just trying to point out that the Autoart is indeed more detailed than the Welly - not just the same except 6X the price.
It would be easy to remove the Philips screw and replace with a tiny pin and paint the shift knobs if you wanted.
Here's a picture of a Willy with green shift knobs so maybe they were out there.

For what it's worth I think I'll get the Welly for my money. It is the better value.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 am

PCO:

Not for nothing, but your pic is not a WW2 Jeep. I think it is a M38A1, check out the dash and compare it and note the hood is the humped shape of the M38A1, mid 50's vintage. Knobs in WW2 were black plastic. Actually they were not real plastic, they were a compound material called Bakelite. You can't say every Jeep in WW2 never had OD knobs, just your everyday standard Jeep.

Restorers can paint their Jeeps whatever makes them happy and this pic is a restored Jeep. I've seen restored vehicles with dice as the knobs. Whatever makes the paying for the restoration.

TTT

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 am

I think the Autoart jeep has nice details that i don't see in other jeeps,like the wind shield that pops out,separate molded wipers,communications radio.Now about the battery and no weather makes me think this is more like the way you will see it today restored on a museum.
Autoart should consider making a weathered version with correct battery,greasy rusted engine and some dings and dents on the fenders.

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 am

For what it's worth, I never meant to imply that the AA was bad, or that the Welly has the same level of detail. I have about 200 AutoArts in my 1/18 collection and they were great value for a while. They are overpriced now. The Welly will "correct" the pricing on the AA as many other diecast manufacturers have done to other AA models.