outdoor scenes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rvaorg13
Private First Class
Private First Class

outdoor scenes

Post by rvaorg13 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm

so, ive been playin with my joes, and sams, and all the other brands, for years. many years. and when i say play, i mean outside, in the dirt, leave em outside, cause THIS IS WAR DAMMIT!!!!! ha, anyway, the older i get, the more complex my setups get, and i began to look for ideas online. there my problem, google image search of 1;18th dioramas, well, seems noone does this outside, at least, not a permanant type thing. in closing, soon as my old lady shows me how to use a apple laptop, ill laod photos of my base. which, has no nome, so, any names yall wanna suggest ill consider, and any tips, suggestions, critiques, anything will be accepted. the battle of bainbridge will soon be documented, in a way never before seen.

rvaorg13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: outdoor scenes

Post by rvaorg13 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:57 pm

also, imlooking for a good source of trucks. namely a destroyed cargo truck, for the village scene.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I really enjoy looking at WWII dioramas.This sounds like a big realistic diorama.I can't wait to see it.Too bad for me that i don't have a backyard to do one myself.All of us 1/18 guys and 1/6 guys need a back yard because our scales are too big to do dioramas inside the house. :lol:

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:09 pm

How one approaches outdoor dioramas is really subject to one's tastes and preferances. You can search the 1:18 forum or the Customs forum for threads about 1:18 outdoor dioramas as many of us have made them over the years. Some members do large, permanent or semi-permanent setups others temporary setups. All of us seem to strive for a great degree of realism.

I am a bit of an amatuer photographer and my outdoor dioramas tend not to be elaborate, but rather simple. My goal is to capture a moment with soldiers, vehicles, and a bit of landscape & scenery as realistically as I can with what ammount to plastic toys. It usually all comes down to positioning, lighting, and my choice of location and background. If I set things up right, I get a neat little diorama 8)

This photo won 2nd Place in the 21st Century Toys USMC Photo Contest in 2005. It was taken in a flowerpot.

This is one of my earliest diorama photos - its not actually outdoors and is on the desk at my old college apartment 6 years ago, but I always liked it :wink:

If you're really creative, you can do videos of your dioramas. This was a very simple one that I made. Other members and people with far greater cinematic talent have produced far better work than my Corsair starting up :wink:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:03 am

Very 8) Tman

Dios are excellent! Very nice composition

How did you do the spinning prop on the corsair and the swaying foliage effect? Very realistic and well done :D
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:15 am

gouchy wrote:Very 8) Tman

Dios are excellent! Very nice composition

How did you do the spinning prop on the corsair and the swaying foliage effect? Very realistic and well done :D
Thanks :D In the Corsair video, I placed a large box fan sitting just to the left of the camera and about a meter from the plane. I adjusted the speed from low to high to get the prop & sound effect. Not quite the right sound & there should be exhause smoke, but close enough :wink: I shot the film in my backyard when the grass was ripped up for resodding several years ago.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:55 am

Those are some really neat dios.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Hello,
My I present you my own creations. Hope it will gives you some ideas. As often as possible, depending on season, weather, place to find and the mainly short time I have: only temporary scenaries. It needs a lot of patience, some time it seems so simple in the idea, but when you're in the terrain, have to take your shovel to find again your camera that falled in the sand or snow... Can't tell you how much 1:18 stuff got lost. And how many pictures throwed in the basket, because 1 soldier falled down, was looking in the wrong direction, and so on. I would also be very interested in having a look at the outdoor work of others.

Nugget
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nugget » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm

This thread makes me feel bad about my the small size of my 1:18th scale collection. Those are some incredible pics you guys have. I especially like you modern stuff Granch, the little cave and the convoy are awesome. Jealous of the Kiowas as well, I remember I almost got one back when Smalljoes had them for $35 and then they just ran out of stock, never to be seen again :(. What kind of figs are you using in those dioramas?

Tman, would you happen to have more pics from the 21C USMC photo contest? I remember I used to have the 21C page with all of the bookmarked and then I lost it, I really liked those pictures.

YT

Post by YT » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

granch wrote:
I managed to get a HMMV nearly that stuck once, my crowning military achievement. :lol:

Seriously though, some real nice pictures in this thread.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 pm

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 pm

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:54 am

Tmanthegreat and 1958Zelda,
you make a really nice work, thank you to allow us to view it, though I don't particularly like the 2nd WW at all. Love the idea of blowing on the Corsair prop to move it. I tried it with my helicopters, but the strong wind killed down the soldiers. Now I'm fixing them straight with needles in their boots, they keep up a little bit better, but I am working with small electro motors in the fuselage: a long way, have a Blackhawk and a Kiowa on my workbench. The only finished one is a OH-6 (see the field helipad in the dawn, below).

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:20 am

Nugget,
Don't feel bad. I've started with 6 figures and 1 vehicle (1:18), about the size of 1 patrol, it's anough to put your imagination at work.

I've mainly 1:18 BBI figures. Of course, with the time, I've built a small army, about 100 soldiers. A big problem is the lack of modern ennemies (just 2 Vietcong, 2 Middle East from 21st Century), so I had to customize. If you choose the 2nd WW, you can find Japs (6 21st. figures, and a lot of German from different brands), so much more possibilities, but I really prefer the modern period:

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:14 am

[/quote]

Thanks :D In the Corsair video, I placed a large box fan sitting just to the left of the camera and about a meter from the plane. I adjusted the speed from low to high to get the prop & sound effect. Not quite the right sound & there should be exhause smoke, but close enough :wink: I shot the film in my backyard when the grass was ripped up for resodding several years ago.[/quote]

Simple and genius, thanks Tman I have your technique filed for future reference :D

Granch and Zelda, very nicely done dios too 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am

I missed that the Corsair was a video, went back and watched 8), that was great.

I imagine there are hours and hours of work to set those dios up, thanks for sharing.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Awesome! Too many damn bugs outside for me to do anything like this. :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Awesome pics granch. Especially like the little bird night ops pics :-)

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Rowsdower wrote:Awesome! Too many damn bugs outside for me to do anything like this. :lol:
Perhaps your soldiers will protect you ... or even better, you can take photos of them battling the larger bugs. :)

The photos in this thread are awesome. And yes, I tend to take the figs out and play when I have a nice (less bugs, not cold) day:

The above series continued when Marvel's Constrictor appeared and ambushed the Japanese patrol.

And I tend to mix genres, as this large force was just looking for a skirmish:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Some very talented and imaginative guys around here. I enjoyed them. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 am

Looks good guys!! Love your stuff Zelda!!!

I took these outside along time ago, with a blue background.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Fantastic work all around. 1958Zelda has a wonderful mix of your custom work with the outdoor scenery and I love the large-scale modern dios that granch constructs. Not too many of us seem to make those and yours come out great (especially the helicopter one!). I like Jnewboy's use of the Playmobil German buildings as well. A question for MCalamari: how do the Japanese soldiers fare against the Mon Cal banzai attack :P

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Well, thank you for these emphatic comments on wide and sophisticated dioramas; now, I present you what could be the smallest 1:18 diorama in the world: :oops: