New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Jeez you guys, sort it out in the carpark will ya!
Moving on........Anyone (looking in Jim's direction :) ) heard anything about the possible kit version? I was humming and harring about getting the ready built Midway version, and now with news of a possible S3 I can't decide on which one to get.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Jay, the Hobby Boss kit is what Merit may have based their Dauntless on
HBB81802
HobbyBoss 1:18 - US Navy SBD-3/4A Dauntless
BUT there is no release date or any other details...
every site that HBB81802 shows up, lists it as, "unavaiable"
Last edited by Yoxford on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Oh interesting. Yes, a quick internet search for HBB81802 bought up "This product will be in stock on Monday 31 December, 2012" on the Creativemodels site.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

pcj240ross
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pcj240ross » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Hmm.... I did'nt know I had such a reputation for being someone I was not, and if being a member since early 2011 is being new, then so be it. If there is another pcj240ross, then yes, it is a coincidence. Do335 asked me to keep the PM private, and I screwed up and mentioned something. I have to defend him because I see all the negative comments about him that are contorted, and he told me that he has gotten many messages from forum members to apologize for the comments he has received, and some members are known for being mentally unstable, and the click-ish nature of this forum. These members also requested that he continue to participate in the forum. If you all feel that this is a sham, I will ask that I can post his PM to me so that you all can see how nice he is, and what he has offered me. He sent me the PM yesterday after I answered the question, and before someone questioned the associations. Would he be the most educated on this forum? From what he has sent me, and told me, I'd say yes. He sent photos of his P-40, workshop, planes in the workshop, his team, and the tanks he owns, and a whole library of books an documents regarding military weapons. He practically wrote a book on the SBD in an email. He also requested that I not post those pics, as they are private, and he had no desire to continue on this forum. I'll see if he will let me post the pics and the message he sent me as it has a lot of info on the SBD, and comparisons with the 1/18 scale model. He sent pics of a SBD-3 he worked on, and pointed out errors in the design of the model, but not in a negative way; just wishing they had done a better job on the product as it was hyped up for some time. Here is one link he sent me. Interesting story:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1677110567001

And Coreyeagle48, your full of it. I looked at your responses to his initial posts, and the conversations were not hostile, you did not seem upset, and Do335 did not post negative comments, or insult anyone as you did. He was voicing his opinion on the quality and commented that it could have been better. You cant go back and erase a trail of posts. Nice try at covering up your immature attitude and personality disorder.

mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by mikeg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm

:shock: ............. :lol:

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm

well things might change in peoples lives that make them f**king upset
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 pm

ok everybody, this is getting tiresome. Back on topic (ie Merit Dauntless) or don't post.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm

What's the size in comparison to let's say, the TBF-1 21st Avengers?
I'm thinking about it, but its more due to being so dead in the market.
I'm only supposed to be buying modern birds!
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

I don't have mine handy, but I think the Avenger is a little longer and a bit thicker then the Dauntless.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm

I wonder if I will ever take mine out of the box ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:38 am

Jolly Roger wrote:What's the size in comparison to let's say, the TBF-1 21st Avengers?
I'm thinking about it, but its more due to being so dead in the market.
I'm only supposed to be buying modern birds!
The Avenger is larger than the Dauntless, by a bit. I actually have my Merit Dauntless hanging next to my 21c Avenger, but haven't taken a "hanging" photo yet. Avenger has wider wingspan (with greater chord/thickness), the fuselage is longer and bulkier as well due to the bombay and interior space. Think of the Dauntless being more in the size-range of a Corsair or Hellcat.

Still, I find it hard to display my Dauntless next to my 21c Avenger. The Avenger is still a marvel of toy-engineering, but looks toyish next to the Dauntless. There's no weathering, the panel line detailing is more simple, the wings sag a little, the bomb bay doors don't open correctly, and a number of other little issues I won't go into. The Dauntless with its expert tooling, fine detailing and weathered paint job just looks better!

I find that the Dauntless displays better with BBI aircraft as opposed to 21c/JSI toolings. I know that the BBI Zero, Corsair, and Hellcat all had their respective minor issues, but the fact that they have a high degree of accuracy, great amount of detail, and realistic weathering simply makes them fit in with the Dauntless better.

BTW, when my Midway Dauntless comes, it will be interesting to disassemble the Coral Sea version and get it back in the box. The tight fit on the wings and delicate flaps worry me, not so much the re-insertion which should be easy.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Dauntless wrote:Jim@Merit did say the Coral Sea Dauntless had less weathering because it hadn't seen as much action. Think about it. The first major Naval engagement, plus these planes had just had their upper surfaces painted blue over the solid grey-white they had over all surfaces. Not alot of weathering expected imo.

I think do335pfiel, you just need to calm down, and don't have such a thin skin. There's a lot of camaraderie here to be had with people who are interested in the same things, and not easily found anywhere else. You come in here all tootin' your horn about all things you know and do, what do you expect?

We can disagree here and still be civil, get shot down in flames, and kid around too, so don't get your panties in a ruffle. :wink:

What do I know I'm just a toy collector.
Wow, sorry we are late getting into this last round of discussion.

Just want to add some added notes:

Actually I have previously post that the Enterprise SBD-3 from Battle of Midway that had less weathering (than the Battle of Coral Sea version) because they were just about brand new at the time of the battle.

As for the SBD-3 at Battle of Coral Sea, they were more used, therefore heavier weathering as evident in our attempt to make multiple shade finishing and heavier exhaust stain,....but without any battle scar. Please consider and accept as the SBD-3's appearance at the first day of the battle.

I do have a story to tell on the "Merit Corsair" and will make a separate post.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm

........ Thanks for the reply Jim , that's good to know. Can't wait + any updates you may have.

- MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Jim. See what happens when you leave us to our own devices! :lol: .
Have you heard anything regarding the possible release of a kit version, Jim?

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Jay wrote:Hi Jim. See what happens when you leave us to our own devices! :lol: .
Have you heard anything regarding the possible release of a kit version, Jim?
Hi Jay and fellow collectors,

Sorry for being MIA.

We were over at IPMS Nationals promoting other model kits that our company represents in the U.S. Much to my surprise, our pre-painted SBD-3 was quite popular and well received at the show which attendants are primary hands on modelers.

Will fill you in once we receive the green light to share more information about the kit version.

Back to the concerns on the weathering on the SBD-3 vs the "Merit Corsair"

Actually, it is a JSI Corsair and was developed prior to Merit's involvement with JSI. JSI should receive full credit for any comments received for the nice paint finishing that was typical on land based Corsair with heavy weathering from the blasting of sand and other ground elements on Pacific islands.

Since both SBD-3 we did are carrier based and not exposed to such elements. Therefore, they should not bear similar type of weathering as on the Corasir.

We admit that the paint decoration on our SBD-3 is far from perfect, and a step back even from our paint master. However, we sincerely hope you will accept our effort and we will try to do a better job next time.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:49 pm

<<< PM sent to you Jim >>>

- MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 pm

aferguson wrote:no i don't think so, just that the Coral Sea is 1000 units.

So we have one brand new member sharing his secrets via pm with another brand new member. Hmm...

Please obey all the trade rules everyone.
As suggested by great mentors such as Rob at Bad Cat, they all pointed out that the sales for "Battle of Midway" version vs "Battle of Coral Sea" should be 2 to 1,... so we have produced 2,000 units for "Battle of Midway" version and hope for the best.
However, the overseas buyers are ordering much more qty. this time around.

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Jim@Merit wrote:
aferguson wrote:no i don't think so, just that the Coral Sea is 1000 units.

So we have one brand new member sharing his secrets via pm with another brand new member. Hmm...

Please obey all the trade rules everyone.
As suggested by great mentors such as Rob at Bad Cat, they all pointed out that the sales for "Battle of Midway" version vs "Battle of Coral Sea" should be 2 to 1,... so we have produced 2,000 units for "Battle of Midway" version and hope for the best.
However, the overseas buyers are ordering much more qty. this time around.
Good to hear Jim!

Now lets get that A-10 out! :mrgreen:
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 am

Good to hear from you Jim!...any clues or hints on what the next release will be? Will it be a Dauntless or a new aircraft?
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Yes, Jim did leave a clue in one of his recent posts. It is there for you to find.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

if you're referring to 'Merit Corsair', i don't think so. Why would Merit make a corsair? There have been oodles released and the BBI one is great and likely to be re-releaased over and over. Not a good choice for them to make.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Well yeah, if Jim's eluding to a 1/18 Merit Corsair then agreed.......why?
But then again, resurrected (and subsequent fail) Algo did come out guns blazing with a 1/18 Mustang (the nude nose art one) a while back even though we had a butt load a Mustangs already.
My only other guess is it's a 1/32 Corsair?

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Jim, thanks for keeping us up to date on things.
I have a :?: , a little off subject......but would Merit ever consider making an Me-163 Komet in 1:18? :)

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:46 pm

normandy wrote:Jim, thanks for keeping us up to date on things.
I have a :?: , a little off subject......but would Merit ever consider making an Me-163 Komet in 1:18? :)
Merit and JSI will not be making a Me-163 Komet,.... because there is no need for another one :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Jim@Merit wrote:Merit and JSI will not be making a Me-163 Komet,.... because there is no need for another one :wink:
Interesting comment... Speculation starts about what Jim knows that the rest of us don't

Hope you're not refering to the Skyworks one :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."