New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New Merit 1/18 plane announced -ALL HAS BEEN REVEALED!

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Very cool!! Im very happy this is happening! This plane broke the back of the IJN's carrier fleet in the Pacific. Im guessing a price point above $100 or more, especially if its wings fold up!

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Indeed, love to see SBD alive but the price is what I'm more concerning.
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:35 pm

I just pooped my pants!!! "Sir here is a blank check, right what ever amout you need to. I need that dauntless".
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Simply fantastic :D Either this plane of the FW-190A were probably the most needed WWII aircraft in 1:18 in terms of historic value (well probably also the Wildcat) so really glad to see its going to be a reality!

I wonder if this will be a new BBI tooling or through another company that Merit deals with? Somehow I think it could be through BBI as they did that fantastic 1:32 Dauntless. Pilot figures will be another question, though of little concern for me as I picked up enough of those cheap loose BBI ones back in the day :wink:

Very, very happy about this and early 2012 isn't too far away.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Jnewboy wrote:Very cool!! Im very happy this is happening! This plane broke the back of the IJN's carrier fleet in the Pacific. Im guessing a price point above $100 or more, especially if its wings fold up!
Jnewboy, the SBD Dauntless did not feature folding wings, now the Douglas TBD Devastator did have folding wings, and was in the battle of midway too.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:44 pm

have to get one of these. the family connection and all...have to get one
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Hate to get off topic, but what's the deal with the big B-17? What scale, what's it made of, who makes it, etc.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Dauntless is a great choice. 8)

Would have preferred a FW 190A, or Komet, but very happy to see a Dauntless in 1/18. Will go well with the Corsair, Hellcat, and Avenger for the US Pacific theater.

A little bit of a surprise, but as Admiral had a pre production model, not totally out of left field.

Spring of 2012 seems pretty optimistic though, as all we see so far is a drawing. I do hope this comes to fruition, but wouldn't be the first time an announced model hasn't made it into production.

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: the B-17, it looks like it my be a styrofoam kit. Scale and maker :?:

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm in on this one!!!!!!!!!!!

Something new in 1/18 - WOW

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm

hotrodrock: if you're interested in a nearly 1/18 scale b-17, here's the best choice going:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=18599

also comes in silver
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:05 pm

wow! that was completely unexpected. and the best scheme to start with.
Think it's the admiral mold? They've got some prototypes of awesome planes.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Banana Hobby is responsible for the B-17 pictured at iHobby. Check out the link below....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 145&type=1

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

do not buy anything from banana hobby. Way overpriced and whatever they have can be had from many other sellers for cheaper and better service.

as for the Dauntless, i think Tman might be right that bbi has made it with merit backing it financially.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Here's where to buy one....

http://www.bananahobby.com/2216.html

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

as i said, i don't recommend you buy anything from Banana Hobby. Overpriced and terrible customer service.

Besides that b-17 is not 1/18 it's about 1/16. The one in the link i gave above is the closest to 1/18 and the best in quality currently available.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 pm

I do agree with aferguson. Banana Hobby from my personal experience with them took almost a month to finally get my order shipped. They seem to ignore emails too. But on the other hand I did get my items I paid for and they look absolutely great hanging from my ceiling. I heard of other sites like this one who seem to follow the same methods of providing poor customer service. But yet for some odd reason they're still in business and seem to have a fairly large fan base. Not to mention appearing at various expos all over with a booth worthy of a second look. All I can say is do your homework first before buying anything. See what others have to say about them and if your conscience is telling you to go somewhere else then do just that. Just walk away. On the other hand sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad to get what you want but only if its worth it to you.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:24 pm

After seeing this great news on the SBD, I couldn't help but recall what Badcat said on the SB2C...
dragon53 wrote:From Badcat: 1:18 scale SB2C Helldiver—An extremely good seller in 1:72, don’t dismiss too quickly.
If SBD sells then a SB2C (the real-life replacement diver of the SBD) may have a chance too. This is only if the SBD sells well. Hopefully it does. Now where do I order!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Greetings:

A couple thoughts here.

1.) Have to have one of these. My great uncle was a mechanic on these in World War II. Along with a Hurricane I was always hoping a Dauntless would be made. So glad to see it might finally be here.

2.) I really hope it is not a JSI release. Every JSI release has been a fiasco. And the QC problems with the JSI stuff would mean this plane would be a mess. Hoping it is a BBI release.

3.) Price is going to be higher than the Walmart days. Guys, get used to this fact. The days of these planes being at Walmart for $40 are long gone. Walmart wouldn't even dare carry these now with the way the toy department has turned into a pile of crap our friend Battlewagon loves so dearly. TRU has become much in the same.

4.) The Midway color scheme is a tremendously excellent first paint scheme. Hope for an early scheme as an S2 release...or a mid 43 scheme like the CAF's Dauntless and sell the thing at the airshows. People would buy it. That plane ALWAYS attracts a good crowd.

5.) I wonder if this is the Admiral prototype that the mold has been developed from and I really hope JSI doesn't have it.

6.) 2012 might just be the end of the world here on this forum...a brand new release...will the membership be able to contain itself.

:)

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Built more than a few Dauntless Monogram and such Companys Models in my youngster days...{ 60s 70s } is one of my favorite Allied birds.... Stuka American style....welcome
ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 pm

snake wrote:Dauntless is a great choice. 8)

Would have preferred a FW 190A, or Komet, but very happy to see a Dauntless in 1/18. Will go well with the Corsair, Hellcat, and Avenger for the US Pacific theater. Agreed..it fills the gap nicely for the Carrier Squadrons in the PTO... I also would have preferred a Butcher Bird myself 8)

A little bit of a surprise, but as Admiral had a pre production model, not totally out of left field.

Spring of 2012 seems pretty optimistic though, as all we see so far is a drawing. I do hope this comes to fruition, but wouldn't be the first time an announced model hasn't made it into production.
ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 am

WoW!

Just when I made a comittment to hold out for only an A-10, HIND, SU-27, KingTiger and nothing else... This curve ball comes along!

From the distant memory of the stillborn SBD dream from Admiral, out of nowhere Jim@Merit comes along and teases, titillates and draws you in like a Chinese Honeytrap and before you know it, we're sold and spilling out government secrets and our bank account details.

Guess its time to amend my wishlist and clear some space in the mancave ceiling. I'm sure most everyone here is gonna hang theirs in a dive? Its the perfect plane for that, here's a pic to whet your appetites 8)

Is the Merit SBD done as "White 6" of VMSB-241, Buno2106, flown by Lt. Daniel Iversen and PFc Wallace Reed at the Battle of Midway? This SBD is preserved at the National Naval Aviation Museum.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/getd ... idway.aspx

http://collections.naval.aviation.museu ... lQuery.php
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:04 am

I don’t mind paying the higher prices for new items, it’s the old molds that I have issues with. It’s hard to pay 3 times the price for something that once sold for $40. The F-14 never sold for that and I had no problem spilling out the dough for that release. I just hope it’s a comparatively reasonable price and not a crazy one. I can’t wait for more news on this plane!

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:55 am

This Dauntless should be cool in 1:18, any pics.

Re: B-17 and Hobby King, $261. is not a bad price. Just a warning about Hobby King, while they do have a warehouse in the U.S. returns (as of 10/26/10) have to be shipped back to china......with a picture of the item being returned and the box it came in.
Last year Mrs. Normandy ordered a battery for our sons helicopter. She ordered one as in 1, HK sent 3 all the wrong size. Customer support center was in china and not helpful at all. Emails were nasty as if we did something wrong. It was cheaper to sell the 3 batteries and buy the correct one (1) then it was to ship everything back to china. :x
Hope they got their act together but I don't buy from them.

Back on topic, This is due Spring of 2012, very cool.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:23 am

i've bought several items from Hobby King and never had a problem. Mind you i've never had to return anything (touch wood).

Re: B-17 that price may get alot better if they come out with a kit version of the b-17. That just means it's an airframe only without all the servos and other r/c gear. In other words it's a static model. Price should drop another $70 or so IF a kit version comes out. May or may not with prop driven aircraft; with jets it's always a certainty it will but not so with props.

Also, before you buy anything from Hobby King wait 5 minutes or so. Just leave the window open for the item you want to buy and wait. Often, there'll be a little pop up window open after a few minutes, offering the item for a lower price, usually about 5% off. For example, the price on the B-17 will drop nearly $15.