New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Dear Sir:

You are certainly entitled to your opinions though I can tell you from personal experience being a forum member here for many years that opinions like these will tend to bring out the aresnal of forum members against you. The people on this forum are about collecting these things and having fun with them, you are taking the discussion to a level of seriousness that borders on pure insanity.

Yoxford is a long time board member who loves the SBD like I do, how dare you question what he says on here to be truthful. That takes a lot of nerve from a newbie. You asked him which SBD he rode in, well if you had READ the post, he had already answered it for you...the CAF bird based in Georgia that regularly flies at airshows in the US. I myself have been up close and personal to this bird as well. Again, how dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridculous.

Now back on topic, NO ONE here expects these planes to be 100% accurate and I would question as to any model plane, anywhere is 100 percent accurate. I mean really what the hell are you smoking here! You want Merit to put all the dead bugs on the prop just to say it had all the little details, get real! And again, you continue to compare the Corsair to the Dauntless and there is no comparison, the Dauntless is clearly superior. The bottom line is all these planes had some sort of inaccuracies, any model will because it is interpretation. Your comments are some of the most ridculous and uninformative I have ever seen on this forum.

The 1/18 scale did not sell well at mass retail. I remember scores of these planes being at Walmart in the day. I will give you that overproduction of variants was a problem, but they did not sell with the general public. The BBI planes did better because they were better detailed and more sold in specialty stores geared toward collectors. The Admiral stuff was garbage...never at the same level and some very strange choices of things to make.

I don't think anyone cares what you think of these models, the people here enjoy them even with their faults. This all started when you, a new member, came here simply to complain about the SBD which in the eyes of many folks here is one of the better if not the best 1/18 model produced. So this can of worms was kind of opened by you, then to accuse a longtime member of not doing what he said. Not good.

And yes, cheers buddy...cheers indeed!
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Well Do335,

I have seen your type on this, and other forums.

And I call Bullsh*t.

Your claims are wild, and basically unbelievable. You are a "master modeler" working with lasers, etc, and you have flown in all these warbirds, including the Lancaster, and Su27. BTW, the Flanker rides were more like $50,000, and not $500.

You come to this forum, and start on the offensive about what is one of the best 1/18 models, and then make all these wild claims, and taking on well respected members here.

Not off to a good start, boy.

Why don't you post some pics of all of your fabulous exploits, or maybe you are a secret agent, and can't do that. :lol:

This forum welcomes new members, but not internet nut jobs, to be blunt.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 am

yeah that's blunt, Snake. :lol:

Bottom line here is i guess: everyone's entitled to their opinon, whether others like it or not. As long as it's not inflammatory, racist, sexist, yadda, yadda. If you don't like it you can disagree with it or simply ignore.

We've had others on here before making wild claims. Some turned out to be true, others not. Everyone can just believe what they want, i guess.

So far this discussion has been civil and i presume it will remain that way. The vast majority who have purchased the Dauntless are very pleased with it....but you can't please everyone. In fact, some people are never possible to please.....i had an ex brother in law like that. Nothing was ever good enough for him...nothing ever lived up to his lofty standards. He was an oral surgeon. He lost his license to practice after killing a patient. He died a few years ago of a heart attack at age 64...he was a toothbrush salesman at the time.

I wonder if i've made my point?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I collect a ton of 1/18: dicast cars, the planes and vehicles. I just got my 1/18 Coral Sea Dauntless. First 1/18 plane I've bought since the JSI Spotcat came out. Since I was layed off in 2009 and currently working at approx 1/2 pay ( 50k a year to 25Kish)
I've stopped buying, unless something really, really, really special comes out.

This plane is special, we've waited HOW LONG?

My CMC cars have fabric seats, opening fuel caps, with screens, hose clamps, removeable wheels with nuts...they only cost $400 or more. Schuco Porsche Car Transporter was $900.

As soon as I saw the Box and looked inside, I wanted to order another one so I can take at least one out of the box! So it's good to have a S2 scheme coming, I'll gladly buy a repaint. Can't wait to see what's the next new 1/18 release.

Dave

do335pfeil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by do335pfeil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:42 am

aferguson wrote:yeah that's blunt, Snake. :lol:

Bottom line here is I guess: everyone's entitled to their opinion, whether others like it or not. As long as it's not inflammatory, racist, sexist, yadda, yadda. If you don't like it you can disagree with it or simply ignore.

We've had others on here before making wild claims. Some turned out to be true, others not. Everyone can just believe what they want, i guess.

So far this discussion has been civil and i presume it will remain that way. The vast majority who have purchased the Dauntless are very pleased with it....but you can't please everyone. In fact, some people are never possible to please.....i had an ex brother in law like that. Nothing was ever good enough for him...nothing ever lived up to his lofty standards. He was an oral surgeon. He lost his license to practice after killing a patient. He died a few years ago of a heart attack at age 64...he was a toothbrush salesman at the time.

Civil? So far I've been called a boy, a liar, and insane.
"Again, how dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridculous". It is of no concern to me who Yoxford is. Even if I did disagree with someone, the responses are elementary and childish. Since when did a disagreement make someone insane? The hostility shows the immaturity level, and the lack of acceptance of any dissenting thoughts. Just because someone is a long time member does not mean crap to me, they can still be just as uneducated as anyone else, and that is on full display here. $50,000 for a flight in a Flanker….. Really?? Yoxford was polite and cordial. You have no right to speak on his behalf, and if he was offended, let him do the talking. How exactly is this quote challenging?

"Also, Someone commented that they had flown in a SBD, I was curious as to which one. I know the owners of the flyable SBDs, and have myself ridden in a P-47, P-38, B-17, Lancaster, just to name a few, and have flown a P-51D."
Interpreting this as a challenge raises questions as to whether or not you can read, and understand what is communicated. That comment was completely benign and only someone who is untrustworthy would interpret the statement as a challenge.

Pull out the Merit Corsair, and look at it. It is weathered very well, and much more so than the dauntless. The corsair is detailed all over. Dirty panel lines, wear around access ports, exhaust stains on the underside, and discolorations from service. The Merit SBD has very little of this. The exhaust would have stained much more than what is represented on the model. The model is too clean. Very little darkened panel lines and details missing in the areas where the most wear would have occurred. For being in combat, the aircraft has very little wear. Flak busts and debris would have chipped away at the paint, and this would be evident all over the aircraft. By far, the Merit Corsair has a far better paint job, and bear metal from damage all over the model.
$50,000 for a ride in a Flanker? Try $14,000.00ish. Travel to the former states of the USSR and you too can ride in a Flanker for around 15,000.00. You may pay 50,000.00 if you wish to do it three times. That statement makes me wonder about all the other claims made on this forum. If people are that uneducated on this simple fact, and who made the Corsair I referred to, then that opens a whole box as to the education level of those responding, and whether one thinks before words come out of the mouth.
Everyone is entitled to his opinion. And this will be my last post; and I will tell you what I do for a living. I can see the attitudes here, and that is disappointing because I love to talk about fighter aircraft, and would most likely be the most knowledgeable on this forum regarding anything post WWII. Not only have I participated in building flying replicas, but also restorations. I have many documents on WWII aircraft, battle tactics, AFVs, logistics, and many more. I’m talking about documents, not books. Documents such as Tactical and Technical Trends, ARMY intelligence briefings, interrogations of high ranking officers copied verbatim as to what was said, and many more. I may post photos of myself in the warbirds very soon, and my past US NAVY service, and exactly why I have the connections that I do, (I know many people in Germany, Ukraine, UK, Argentina and others), but it depends on how many more rude messages I receive. I’ve never posted anything rude, but that is what I have received in response. Jealousy on the part of others, yes, hard to believe; if you are uninformed; yes.
Having a particular profession allows me access to not only the aircraft, but also the owners. Something you all will never have. I am an engineer and a machinist, and am paid very well. I own 3 WWII tanks. Two are Soviet, and one is from the UK. I own a M44, a T-34/76 and a M22. I also hold 1-11 FFLs and poses many weapons through the mid 1980’s including a MG34, MG13, a man-portable recoilless rocket antitank weapon, or a M1A1 rocket launcher. I design and cut parts for restorations and replica builds of P-51 and Me-109 aircraft. I also repair any WWII aircraft or AFV. The SBD mentioned; I cut pieces for that very aircraft annually. This is exactly why I asked which SBD was flown, I was curious, not questioning. I am one who tends to trust people, and those who don’t typically are prone to lying themselves, as they project their self perception on others. My profession also allows me access to expensive devices to make accurate 1/12 scale models using lasers, lathes and such.
The P-51D I flew is owned by the former CEO of Scotts Miracle Grow. Hence the Callaway Warbird Plus golf ball. I can show you a photo of the golf ball that was given to me by the former CEO, as we occasionally play a round of golf together, but I feel no need to. No coincidence it is called the Warbird Plus, he chose the name (Google it). I know him quite well. He owns an Olde Crow P-51D and flies it out of Rickenbacker. He and I had a large voice in bringing “The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends” to Rickenbacker a few years back. I can remember the arguments; birthplace of flight, the Tuskegee Airmen were based here, and a few others. That is where I flew in the Lancaster, and yes, I did fly his P-51 as part of the air show as I had always wanted to do. Of course there was a B-17 too, but I had already flown in every airworthy B-17. If you look the event up online, you will see that there were over 120 P-51s and virtually multiples of every make of US WWII combat aircraft, and several WWI and foreign WWII aircraft, and the typical modern aircraft. I believe the air show lasted 3 days, and was the largest ever. Everywhere you looked, there were flights of P-51s overhead, and the sound never ceased. All over town, you could observe the B-17 flying, especially in Dublin as it was on the flight path for rides at 400 per. P-51s flying in 2-3 plane flights, P-47s flying tandem, and the F-16s screaming at low altitude were frequently observed. At one point, I was walking across the OSU Oval talking to a history professor, and at least 20 P-51s flew overhead in a loose formation. The plan was to have over 50 fly in tight formation on the last day, but there had been too much rain for adequate practice, so a loose formation of 50 flewinstead. I even had a few wares of my own on display. It’s a shame one B-17 crashed just last year. Gratefully no one was hurt, and yes, I had made parts for the aircraft.
Just because you don't have associations, does not mean others do not. I am a licensed pilot and flying in a WWII plane is not a big deal to me, so I do not take photos of the event frequently. Much in the same manner as a frequent flyer would not take photos of riding at 30,000 ft. Working with these aircraft is my job, and after a year or two, it was no longer something that was special in the same way as someone who sees them up close once or twice a year, and rides in one once in a lifetime.
Well, I guess my point is that I joined this forum to talk to other people who share similar interests. Instead I have been made to feel like I am not wanted, words being but into my mouth that I did not say. All simply because I was not impressed with the SBD, and “challenged” an all powerful elder. “How dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridiculous”. The caste system on this forum is ridiculous. Again, ‘How dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridculous.” The only ridiculous act here is how for some reason, challenging someone, which I did not do, is taboo because I am new to the forum, and I’ll flip this around and say how you all dare challenge the assertions that I made; I make my own models, and have contacts and access to many WWII fighters/bombers, and know the owners. How do you know that I do not? Do you know me? I participate in several forums where people discuss the actual aircraft, and own them, Because of this, a select few individuals, not only have been able to sit in, and stand on the aircraft, but I have also made it possible that they receive free flights that last an hour as I have invited them to the workshop, and some willingly traveled many miles to do so. I have never run into so much hostility in a forum. If you all are so knowledgeable, and my comments border on insane, I’ll pose you a question. If you’re educated, you will know the answer, if not, and then you are simply a toy collector and do nothing more than watch the military channel. It’s a simple question, and can be answered in a small paragraph. Answer it if you wish. I will only check back into this post one last time to see if anyone knows the answer out of my own curiosity, and what this forum is made of, and that is all. No comments or posts, as I see that what I have to say is not welcome. The first person to answer the question correctly I will personally invite, and pay for the transportation to our restoration facility, and will have the privilege of flying in a P-51D, P-40E, or F6F-5, firing my own MG34, 13 and a M1A1 with a HE rocket, and drive the M-44, as well as fire the 100mm main gun with live ammunition at least 5 times. You will be destroying an old truck and will have a very eventful weekend. I will also give the individual a 1/16 hand made model of your choice from what I have made. Travel is mandatory to partake in this, but it would only be for the weekend, and I will pay for all the meals and lodging. The first person to answer the question correctly will receive a PM from me with all the details. Everyone who insulted me, or talked down to me will not have this opportunity, so don’t bother answering the question. Yoxford, by all means, answer the question and you will have a chance at my invitation, and all expenses paid by myself. If you (Yoxford) answer the question correctly, I promise you a flight in all three aircraft. Everyone else may choose one. So here is the question:
1. What happened when the P-51D, and the later P-47Ds were released into operational status, and what was the consequence? I’m looking for a specific term. Use the correct terms, and try to not simply explain in basic lingo as that is what people do when they have no idea. This is a very, very hard answer to find online, if not impossible. The offer stands for 48 hours, and is open to anyone except for those I already excluded, and any registration after the date of this posting.
If you know the answer, or think you may know it, go for it. You have nothing to loose, and you may impress some of your forum mates. If someone answers correctly, and is the first to do so, I will let them know publicly, and will PM the individual a message, and take it from there. Yoxford, if you wish to fly in all three aircraft, you will have to take advantage of this within the next three months. My advice to a potential trivia guru, buy a high quality camera as you will never have this opportunity again. I will arrange for a tailing aircraft to take photos of you during the flights, and operating the weapons and tank.
PS: Insanity is a loss of touch with reality, including delusions. I assure that I am for real. This is rare, and who you are talking someone who could have gotten you closer to aircraft than you have ever been before as I repair and build them as part of a team. I performed all the actions I stated. You may call bullcrap (sorry, I don’t curse) if you like, but I could care less. I know what I have said to be true, and have refrained from insulting others in return. If someone answers correctly within the 48 hours, you all may ask that individual what the experience was like.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 am

............ sounds like words of wisdom to me w/o the BS ,.. & that's just my OpinioN .

The Edit : WoW :shock: that's one helluv' an offer I just could'nt refuse but must admit , I'm ignorant about your request. :oops:

- MG :p51:
Last edited by MG-42 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 am

This is very sad. I did not see anything that was posted by do335pfeil to warrant this kind of reception form some fellow members here. I personally do not agree with the comparison between the Corsair and Dauntless either. That being said I see no reason for this to have come to this point. From the start do335pfeil was put on the defensive for having an opinion that didn’t line up with others. I call foul on this one.

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jwcarpenter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 am

Is this a possible answer to the question, on the P-47D bubbletop and the P-5D1 both had issues with directional instability,this came as a result of loosing some of the aft keel area with the bubbletop canopy being on there. So by adding the dorsal fin in front of the rudder solved this issue on both aircraft. It did add a small amount of drag, especially when the rear fuselage fuel tank was full.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am

Hi do335pfeil,

I think some confusion you are experiencing about the corsair discussion from members here is the fact that the JSI corsair IS a 21st Century corsair…same mold, warts and all, (just a little better paint job), thus why the term 21st /JSI corsair is mentioned…old members here know the sorted history of its line. It is an old mold compared to the very detailed Dauntless mold. (just look at the Corsair “rivets the size of softballs” compared to the Merit dauntless scale accurate detail)

I own the 21st/JSI corsair in the Pappy Boyington livery and, I also do custom modeling. Here is an example of some of my detail work on the said model:
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... sair+pappy

Cockpit detail, gun switch box, gun sight, the spoiler on the starboard leading edge (that was added due to a nasty stall characteristic of one wing before the other) correct antenna, isolator and spring tensioner.

In the end, the Merit SBD Dauntless I own, is more weathered and detailed than the JSI corsair I own…But that is just my opinion, my view, not yours and I am fine with that, to each his or her own as to what they perceive. Maybe you have an example of the SBD that slipped past the weathering department.

This post is a discussion about the Merit Dauntless, and that should be it.

(Corey and Snake have known me for years on this board, and I appreciate their thoughts) As for riding in the back of the CAF SBD-5, I was fortunate to do that during the “100 years of Naval Aviation air show” in Michigan. It was an honor and once in a lifetime experience I will never forget to be able to experience living history and aviation all in one.

I am a licensed private pilot, competent in a Cessna 172 glass cockpit, and I am working on my instrument rating that I hope to accomplish one day. As you know, Time and money are equal to lift and drag = )

To your question, what Jwcarpenter just answered about the fin Fillet is a very good answer.

Now please lets get back to the topic of the Merit Dauntless...Jim at Merit any updates?
Cheers
Last edited by Yoxford on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am

lets not scare away our guest of Honor hear fellas. I like the Merit updates.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

pcj240ross
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pcj240ross » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am

Heck, I have never posted here but I'll try for this one. The bubbletops on both aircraft messed with the airflow over the control surfaces. Under the right conditions ( a high speed dive) this would cause a COMPRESSIBILITY STALL which was virtually impossible to pull out of, and resulted in the death of many pilots. Bailing out was the only option. The P-47N fixed this, and a similar feature on the P-51 was added. It was sad that the USAAF had no choice but to use the faulty aircraft, and even sadder that they scrapped the P-47s and had to use mustangs and corsairs for ground attack in Korea because there were no more P-47s. The USAAF held onto the P-51s because the twin P-51 was supposed to be the next air superiority fighter, and not the F-86. I read this in a book somewhere. Come on...... tell me tell me!!

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm

do335pfeil wrote:
aferguson wrote:yeah that's blunt, Snake. :lol:

Bottom line here is I guess: everyone's entitled to their opinion, whether others like it or not. As long as it's not inflammatory, racist, sexist, yadda, yadda. If you don't like it you can disagree with it or simply ignore.

Civil? So far I've been called a boy, a liar, and insane.
"Again, how dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridculous". It is of no concern to me who Yoxford is. Even if I did disagree with someone, the responses are elementary and childish. Since when did a disagreement make someone insane? The hostility shows the immaturity level, and the lack of acceptance of any dissenting thoughts. Just because someone is a long time member does not mean crap to me, they can still be just as uneducated as anyone else, and that is on full display here. $50,000 for a flight in a Flanker….. Really?? Yoxford was polite and cordial. You have no right to speak on his behalf, and if he was offended, let him do the talking. How exactly is this quote challenging?

"Also, Someone commented that they had flown in a SBD, I was curious as to which one. I know the owners of the flyable SBDs, and have myself ridden in a P-47, P-38, B-17, Lancaster, just to name a few, and have flown a P-51D."
Interpreting this as a challenge raises questions as to whether or not you can read, and understand what is communicated. That comment was completely benign and only someone who is untrustworthy would interpret the statement as a challenge.

Pull out the Merit Corsair, and look at it. It is weathered very well, and much more so than the dauntless. The corsair is detailed all over. Dirty panel lines, wear around access ports, exhaust stains on the underside, and discolorations from service. The Merit SBD has very little of this. The exhaust would have stained much more than what is represented on the model. The model is too clean. Very little darkened panel lines and details missing in the areas where the most wear would have occurred. For being in combat, the aircraft has very little wear. Flak busts and debris would have chipped away at the paint, and this would be evident all over the aircraft. By far, the Merit Corsair has a far better paint job, and bear metal from damage all over the model.
$50,000 for a ride in a Flanker? Try $14,000.00ish. Travel to the former states of the USSR and you too can ride in a Flanker for around 15,000.00. You may pay 50,000.00 if you wish to do it three times. That statement makes me wonder about all the other claims made on this forum. If people are that uneducated on this simple fact, and who made the Corsair I referred to, then that opens a whole box as to the education level of those responding, and whether one thinks before words come out of the mouth.
Everyone is entitled to his opinion. And this will be my last post; and I will tell you what I do for a living. I can see the attitudes here, and that is disappointing because I love to talk about fighter aircraft, and would most likely be the most knowledgeable on this forum regarding anything post WWII. Not only have I participated in building flying replicas, but also restorations. I have many documents on WWII aircraft, battle tactics, AFVs, logistics, and many more. I’m talking about documents, not books. Documents such as Tactical and Technical Trends, ARMY intelligence briefings, interrogations of high ranking officers copied verbatim as to what was said, and many more. I may post photos of myself in the warbirds very soon, and my past US NAVY service, and exactly why I have the connections that I do, (I know many people in Germany, Ukraine, UK, Argentina and others), but it depends on how many more rude messages I receive. I’ve never posted anything rude, but that is what I have received in response. Jealousy on the part of others, yes, hard to believe; if you are uninformed; yes.
Having a particular profession allows me access to not only the aircraft, but also the owners. Something you all will never have. I am an engineer and a machinist, and am paid very well. I own 3 WWII tanks. Two are Soviet, and one is from the UK. I own a M44, a T-34/76 and a M22. I also hold 1-11 FFLs and poses many weapons through the mid 1980’s including a MG34, MG13, a man-portable recoilless rocket antitank weapon, or a M1A1 rocket launcher. I design and cut parts for restorations and replica builds of P-51 and Me-109 aircraft. I also repair any WWII aircraft or AFV. The SBD mentioned; I cut pieces for that very aircraft annually. This is exactly why I asked which SBD was flown, I was curious, not questioning. I am one who tends to trust people, and those who don’t typically are prone to lying themselves, as they project their self perception on others. My profession also allows me access to expensive devices to make accurate 1/12 scale models using lasers, lathes and such.
The P-51D I flew is owned by the former CEO of Scotts Miracle Grow. Hence the Callaway Warbird Plus golf ball. I can show you a photo of the golf ball that was given to me by the former CEO, as we occasionally play a round of golf together, but I feel no need to. No coincidence it is called the Warbird Plus, he chose the name (Google it). I know him quite well. He owns an Olde Crow P-51D and flies it out of Rickenbacker. He and I had a large voice in bringing “The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends” to Rickenbacker a few years back. I can remember the arguments; birthplace of flight, the Tuskegee Airmen were based here, and a few others. That is where I flew in the Lancaster, and yes, I did fly his P-51 as part of the air show as I had always wanted to do. Of course there was a B-17 too, but I had already flown in every airworthy B-17. If you look the event up online, you will see that there were over 120 P-51s and virtually multiples of every make of US WWII combat aircraft, and several WWI and foreign WWII aircraft, and the typical modern aircraft. I believe the air show lasted 3 days, and was the largest ever. Everywhere you looked, there were flights of P-51s overhead, and the sound never ceased. All over town, you could observe the B-17 flying, especially in Dublin as it was on the flight path for rides at 400 per. P-51s flying in 2-3 plane flights, P-47s flying tandem, and the F-16s screaming at low altitude were frequently observed. At one point, I was walking across the OSU Oval talking to a history professor, and at least 20 P-51s flew overhead in a loose formation. The plan was to have over 50 fly in tight formation on the last day, but there had been too much rain for adequate practice, so a loose formation of 50 flewinstead. I even had a few wares of my own on display. It’s a shame one B-17 crashed just last year. Gratefully no one was hurt, and yes, I had made parts for the aircraft.
Just because you don't have associations, does not mean others do not. I am a licensed pilot and flying in a WWII plane is not a big deal to me, so I do not take photos of the event frequently. Much in the same manner as a frequent flyer would not take photos of riding at 30,000 ft. Working with these aircraft is my job, and after a year or two, it was no longer something that was special in the same way as someone who sees them up close once or twice a year, and rides in one once in a lifetime.
Well, I guess my point is that I joined this forum to talk to other people who share similar interests. Instead I have been made to feel like I am not wanted, words being but into my mouth that I did not say. All simply because I was not impressed with the SBD, and “challenged” an all powerful elder. “How dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridiculous”. The caste system on this forum is ridiculous. Again, ‘How dare you have the nerve and rudeness to question a longtime forum member such as Yoxford. That's ridculous.” The only ridiculous act here is how for some reason, challenging someone, which I did not do, is taboo because I am new to the forum, and I’ll flip this around and say how you all dare challenge the assertions that I made; I make my own models, and have contacts and access to many WWII fighters/bombers, and know the owners. How do you know that I do not? Do you know me? I participate in several forums where people discuss the actual aircraft, and own them, Because of this, a select few individuals, not only have been able to sit in, and stand on the aircraft, but I have also made it possible that they receive free flights that last an hour as I have invited them to the workshop, and some willingly traveled many miles to do so. I have never run into so much hostility in a forum. If you all are so knowledgeable, and my comments border on insane, I’ll pose you a question. If you’re educated, you will know the answer, if not, and then you are simply a toy collector and do nothing more than watch the military channel. It’s a simple question, and can be answered in a small paragraph. Answer it if you wish. I will only check back into this post one last time to see if anyone knows the answer out of my own curiosity, and what this forum is made of, and that is all. No comments or posts, as I see that what I have to say is not welcome. The first person to answer the question correctly I will personally invite, and pay for the transportation to our restoration facility, and will have the privilege of flying in a P-51D, P-40E, or F6F-5, firing my own MG34, 13 and a M1A1 with a HE rocket, and drive the M-44, as well as fire the 100mm main gun with live ammunition at least 5 times. You will be destroying an old truck and will have a very eventful weekend. I will also give the individual a 1/16 hand made model of your choice from what I have made. Travel is mandatory to partake in this, but it would only be for the weekend, and I will pay for all the meals and lodging. The first person to answer the question correctly will receive a PM from me with all the details. Everyone who insulted me, or talked down to me will not have this opportunity, so don’t bother answering the question. Yoxford, by all means, answer the question and you will have a chance at my invitation, and all expenses paid by myself. If you (Yoxford) answer the question correctly, I promise you a flight in all three aircraft. Everyone else may choose one. So here is the question:
1. What happened when the P-51D, and the later P-47Ds were released into operational status, and what was the consequence? I’m looking for a specific term. Use the correct terms, and try to not simply explain in basic lingo as that is what people do when they have no idea. This is a very, very hard answer to find online, if not impossible. The offer stands for 48 hours, and is open to anyone except for those I already excluded, and any registration after the date of this posting.
If you know the answer, or think you may know it, go for it. You have nothing to loose, and you may impress some of your forum mates. If someone answers correctly, and is the first to do so, I will let them know publicly, and will PM the individual a message, and take it from there. Yoxford, if you wish to fly in all three aircraft, you will have to take advantage of this within the next three months. My advice to a potential trivia guru, buy a high quality camera as you will never have this opportunity again. I will arrange for a tailing aircraft to take photos of you during the flights, and operating the weapons and tank.
PS: Insanity is a loss of touch with reality, including delusions. I assure that I am for real. This is rare, and who you are talking someone who could have gotten you closer to aircraft than you have ever been before as I repair and build them as part of a team. I performed all the actions I stated. You may call bullcrap (sorry, I don’t curse) if you like, but I could care less. I know what I have said to be true, and have refrained from insulting others in return. If someone answers correctly within the 48 hours, you all may ask that individual what the experience was like.
My eyes "crossed" about halfway though this diatribe...
Reminds me of a guy, years ago, who just showed up one day at my fraternity house - No, he wasn't a member, but for some reason we just let him hang around until he started mouthing off and even began hitting on a few of the guys girlfriends! One night it came to a "head", (I won't go in to details), and the next day he was gone for good.
I hope this guy is true to his word about not posting again...I really enjoy this forum, and feel a comraderie with the members, even though I've never met them...I don't like for people to come along and "spoil" my enjoyment.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Greetings:

I do not have a problem if this guy hates the Dauntless or the Corsair or 1/18 models in general. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What kind of confuses me though is if he really hates 1/18 scale and is building custom model planes on his own...then why is he even investing in 1/18 scale planes in the first place. Apparently this guy builds customs, then why didn't he just build a custom Dauntless if this one did not measure up to his expectations. That is the part of his Dauntless critical commentary I am not quite understanding.

The problem I do have is how this person immediately was critical of everyone and their opinion on here. He had a problem with the fact Yoxford and I liked the Dauntless and kind of took it personally. Then he went over the top saying the board members are stupid, don't have the experiences he does and basically are losers compared to him. That rubbed me the wrong way entirely. We have a fun board here where people can share stories and experiences. A lot of our collecting base I think has to work very hard and save money to buy what they have. The people here value their collections and their experiences. This member took that and laughed at it, immediately saying his experiences were the rule and basically anyone else who had anything to share basically shouldn't say anything because he was the rule. This was the entire part of the discussion that sent me over the edge, a new member showing up and having no respect for the current membership and their opinions. It is clear the only opinion that matters to this guy is his own, and everyone else can just shut up.

And even when he had the chance to tone it down, he is still going on about being the most knowledgable person here and all that. I never saw someone come on this forum and try to be such a know it all right out of the gate. Oh well.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Jim@Merit did say the Coral Sea Dauntless had less weathering because it hadn't seen as much action. Think about it. The first major Naval engagement, plus these planes had just had their upper surfaces painted blue over the solid grey-white they had over all surfaces. Not alot of weathering expected imo.

I think do335pfiel, you just need to calm down, and don't have such a thin skin. There's a lot of camaraderie here to be had with people who are interested in the same things, and not easily found anywhere else. You come in here all tootin' your horn about all things you know and do, what do you expect?

We can disagree here and still be civil, get shot down in flames, and kid around too, so don't get your panties in a ruffle. :wink:

What do I know I'm just a toy collector.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 pm

.......... then why say anything @ all. Sometimes I think the "everyone is entitled to their opinion" is out the window here. Just depends on who's.

* Too many ~~~~ (-) ~~~~ waves here. Lets move on ..............

............ It's really a shame this thread went South the way it did.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:03 pm

^^^ What you said. Some people here just don't seem to take kindly to strangers.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:53 pm

MG-42 wrote:.......... then why say anything @ all. Sometimes I think the "everyone is entitled to their opinion" is out the window here. Just depends on who's.

* Too many ~~~~ (-) ~~~~ waves here. Lets move on ..............

............ It's really a shame this thread went South the way it did.

Because I can relate, that's why. I remember rubbing people the wrong way here when first joining. Though not for an airplane discussion, but other disagreements I stepped into, feeling like a pariah.

Thanks to the level headed Canadian moderator, my love of 1:18 airplanes that I bought way before I joined here, and my thick skin I'm still around (there's no place else to go right?)

Anyways,... about the Midway Dauntless.

Anybody know the edition size? The release is so close to the last one I bought, I got a little tapped out on the funds. Don't want to miss out on this one if it goes quick like the Coral Sea is at 1000 made.

I do believe Merit is doing a fine job on the weathering, it being less so on the Coral Sea as opposed to the upcoming Midway SBD because it's a later battle....but if they really want to go for some accuracy, there would be bleed through on the red dot in the middle of the white star insignia and the red visible even through the painted over with blue rudder stripes. This because red will bleed through just about every color.

Not a big thing but, it did happen. I imagine the puzzled look on the Navy painters as they put coat after coat of white on the star and the red (or pink in this case) keeps coming through. I know this to be true as I paint cars for a living (not bragging, I hate my job :? )
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pcj240ross
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pcj240ross » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 am

Holy crap. Do335 is for real. He PM'd me, told me I answered the question, and sent me pics after I gave him my email. Turns out he owns a P-40M converted into a racer and redesignated a P-40N. I was wondering if he was for real, but the message he sent, and the 12 pics says it all. He sent pics of the P-40, his FFLs, and a pic of him flying that P-51 beside a f-16. He said he sent me the pics so I would believe him and trust that he can offer me up the rides he promised....... :mrgreen: Get this, he said there is a possibility of a HA-1112-M1L arriving early.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 am

As for the edition size of the Midway Dauntless I can not find any mention...did Jim at Merit ever say how many were being planned?
Last edited by Yoxford on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 am

no i don't think so, just that the Coral Sea is 1000 units.

So we have one brand new member sharing his secrets via pm with another brand new member. Hmm...

Please obey all the trade rules everyone.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 am

Andy:

That is kind of my concern as well. If the new member has the experiences and the interest that he says he does everyone could benefit from seeing his photographs of his planes and the sharing of his experiences. If his experiences are as he claims then he would be a great resource to this forum.

The thing that bothered me about his initial post was how it came of so negative right out of the gate. No introduction, no hello, just a negative post. Kind of struck me as odd. Maybe it was just the way this member communicates or I missed something.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am

Coreyeagle48 wrote:
The thing that bothered me about his initial post was how it came of so negative right out of the gate. No introduction, no hello, just a negative post. Kind of struck me as odd. Maybe it was just the way this member communicates or I missed something.

Corey

Negative, yeah, like the post you made a while back about becoming a plague to this forum and everyone on it.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 am

........... and don't call me Andy ! ! ! :x

MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MUDHEN336 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 am

pcj240ross wrote:Holy crap. Do335 is for real. He PM'd me, told me I answered the question, and sent me pics after I gave him my email. Turns out he owns a P-40M converted into a racer and redesignated a P-40N. I was wondering if he was for real, but the message he sent, and the 12 pics says it all. He sent pics of the P-40, his FFLs, and a pic of him flying that P-51 beside a f-16. He said he sent me the pics so I would believe him and trust that he can offer me up the rides he promised....... :mrgreen: Get this, he said there is a possibility of a HA-1112-M1L arriving early.
Hmm...pcj240ross. Now where have I heard that name before? I am certain I have heard it. Could this be the infamous lawyer/navy seal/philanthropist aka: buds_189_1993/ace_rosebud/wcusmc/pcj240ross/curtisbehappy2011/unsvbbs?

Maybe not, but quite a coincidence.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 am

aferguson wrote:So we have one brand new member sharing his secrets via pm with another brand new member. Hmm...
>>> I just caught this , interesting indeed, hmm.....