New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Great info Jim. Thank you for posting. Greatly appreciated.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks Jim answered alot. Now we know more.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:32 pm

But...but I still have more questions. :mrgreen:

snake

Post by snake » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Jim@Merit wrote:We thank you for your support and apologize to have raised so many concerns,.... Yes, there will be a model kit of the SBD-3 released as a model kit. This is our way to overcome the high cost of tooling and allow us to present all new tooling item to 1/18 collectors, as well as an item to invite model builders to join the 1/18 community. There are already talks that a few after-market companies also show support by making detail enhancing products for the SBD-3.

Like the SBD-3 at "Battle of Midway", our 1/18 SBD-3 will also serve as the turning point for the 1/18 collections and this is our Battle of Midway. With YOUR support, we can make this a success and to turn the tide to enable further expand of our collections in larger scales. Along the way, we are certain that there are things we have overlooked and improvements are being made which is exactly why the release date had been pushed back.

Please note the following on Merit's "Built n Painted" 1/18 SBD-3:

1. Nylon parts are being used from the beginning to strengthen certain areas.
2. Plastic are thinners and special designs are used for strengthening.
3. Screws are used in the assembly process.
4. Special attention was made during the design to achieve a balanced compromise for durability, play value, and scale effect.
5. We have used the SBD-3 paint master in our web site, and so the final product may look different.
6. The paint master is built with first test shot obtained in November 2011.
7. MIL-88001 is "Battle of Midway" marking SBD-3
MIL-88002 is "Battle of Coral Sea" marking SBD-3
8. MIL-88002 is released first in order to follow historical events.
9. All Merit items starts with "8"

We hope we have addressed some of your concerns and we will continue to work hard to bring in your 1/18 SBD-3 ASAP.

Thanks for the update Jim.

It does clear up some questions, but opens others.

So the 1/18 Dauntless is a "kit", assembled with screws? Marushin, and Eagles International do this with their models, but only a few pieces that need to be screwed together. Cockpit, wings to fuselage, and cowling for Marushin.

So, how many parts will the Merit Dauntless have? Is it closer to 10, or 60.

Also, I am assuming it is pre painted, just needing assembly.

Some pics of the production model, right out of the box will provide many answers, and I am sure these will be coming soon.

Think it is a great idea for Merit to try and cross the bridge between diecast collectors, and kit builders, in 1/18. Although, most diecast collectors are ex modelers, who haven't built a kit in a long time, so hopefully it will be more of a diecast model that requires easy assembly, rather than kit with many parts.

Just my 2 cents.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Snake:

I think he means the plane is assembled with screws like the 21st models were. If anything I think he means that the plane is assembled with screws in the factory and maybe we have to screw the wing on or something like that. That is what I gather from his post.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm

and when did it get pushed back?....

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I think Merit is planing on doing both a pre-built and a kit version to help justify the cost of tooling this aircraft. That way it opens up the 1:18 market to include both collectors and modelers alike. Having other companies/suppliers create highly detailed swappable parts for this scale will also help provide an incentive for modelers to join in. If what I said above is true Merit could rack in more sales which in turn could open up the possibility of further new toolings in this scale down the road. The plane was due out this Winter but looks like it will be released sometime this April or May (Spring).

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm

The way I see it though Merit isn't pushing anything back as they're moving along with this plane quite nicely in my opinion. After all Rome wasn't built in one day. lol

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Jim, Thanks a lots for your information. Please provide pictures of the first batch coming out from production when ready.

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 am

As a Coral Sea pre-order customer, I am interested to know if the propeller tips will be red/yellow/blue as seen on some Coral Sea SBDs?

Also, product packaging is important. Anyone who's familiar with how the 1/18 Corsair was packaged (I know this wasn't a Merit product) knows that the propeller hub was packaged very close to (and just about touching) the clear cockpit canopy--this led to the canopy cracking or being marred during shipment.

I am looking forward to adding the Coral Sea Dauntless to my collection! Thank you Merit.
www.TheLiterateShow.com

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 am

I like that analogy Jim...

"Like the SBD-3 at "Battle of Midway", our 1/18 SBD-3 will also serve as the turning point for the 1/18 collections and this is our Battle of Midway. With YOUR support, we can make this a success and to turn the tide to enable further expand of our collections in larger scales. Along the way, we are certain that there are things we have overlooked and improvements are being made which is exactly why the release date had been pushed back."

I think it's a good strategy too to offer them as models and produce enough to cover the tooling costs. That way you get the pre-built guys like most of us here who don't have the time or skills, and if the detail is good enough you can open up a new market altogether in 1:18 with the hard core model guys (who aren't as forgiving)
Soon there will be others offering detail resin kits to enhance the model, just like the many kits available now for stock models to "improve" upon them or make variations, plus decal kits to make other schemes. It puts other enthusiasts to work in the 1:18 world.

This may yet turn the tide in 1:18. The rewards go to those who risk failure, but it pays to cover other bases as well to insure success. It's smart business tactics. I wish this endeavor success.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:24 am

A model kit will be available with possible third party detail sets being offered? Now that is AWESOME. I have been asking for 1/18 scale kits for years. I love building kits and finishing them with the exact scheme I want. On top of that, there is a possibility of third party detail sets being made. I can just imagine a resin and photo etched cockpit and engine set for this model. Now I am truly excited for this release. Hopefully the modeling crowd goes nuts for this kit, leading to more releases in the future. I will absolutely pick up this kit.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 am

Airacobra wrote:A model kit will be available with possible third party detail sets being offered? Now that is AWESOME. I have been asking for 1/18 scale kits for years. I love building kits and finishing them with the exact scheme I want. On top of that, there is a possibility of third party detail sets being made. I can just imagine a resin and photo etched cockpit and engine set for this model. Now I am truly excited for this release. Hopefully the modeling crowd goes nuts for this kit, leading to more releases in the future. I will absolutely pick up this kit.
That's speculation on my part, but why not? They're doing it now with other kits.

Model makers are fanatics sometimes. It blows my mind what's out there and what's available and the detail involved.

A few have been making resin parts and super detailing 1:18 for many years here. Though mostly helicopters and armor.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Jim@Merit wrote:We thank you for your support and apologize to have raised so many concerns,.... Yes, there will be a model kit of the SBD-3 released as a model kit. This is our way to overcome the high cost of tooling and allow us to present all new tooling item to 1/18 collectors, as well as an item to invite model builders to join the 1/18 community. There are already talks that a few after-market companies also show support by making detail enhancing products for the SBD-3.
Jim,

This is all great information, thanks.

Could you tell us if this is a Merit original tooling, or did Merit acquire an existing tooling that was modified for this release? Will the model kit version be released under the Merit label? Who on Merit's staff (or third party) is responsible for the design and accuracy of the master and toolings? Sorry for so many questions. This aspect of a model's development is very interesting.

Regards,
Jason

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 am

all good info, thanks Jim.

EVERYONE is hoping for this to be a success.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks for the excellent info and clarification on the wings 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 am

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:
rohirrimknight wrote:I would like Jim@Merit to tell us if the above information is just the rumor or it is correct.
I think the rumors are true.

I have looked at Merits' pictures and cannot find a single snap-latch or screw boss on the entire plane. You would expect to see a boss near the front and rear of the cockpit. (Anyone who purchased the Avenger without screw caps knows what I am talking about.) Items that do not use "screw bosses" are usually sonic welded, and even then you would expect to see a lip on the inner edge of the fuselage for a welding joint. I would be very surprised if they weld this aircraft.

I am of the opinion that this model is straight from the box and produced using standard DIY modeling techniques. This would explain the smaller quantity releases (I think they are using the original tooling). However, it will still benefit from spray masking and tampo printing just like your familiar 1:18 models, but it will definitely feel lighter. Putting a lead slug in the model and filling in some of the air gaps should fix that problem...

I think it will be a beautiful model, and I look forward to seeing the finished product. At least someone is making 1:18!!

jason were is the f4 1 18 now how has sample ..could u take pick hind..or more skyraider/
whats up doc....

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the clarifications, Jim...If left to our own "devices", we'll speculate something to death!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I've been humming and harring about getting S1 but now that Jim has mentioned the Model kit i'm excited again. The price of the actual plane is ok but the shipping is what's pushing it over the top. Hopefully the kit will bring both the model and shipping prices down a bit.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm

I believe Jim is associated with Legend's Toys & Hobbies. Maybe someone here who lives close by could pay him a visit and see what other information they may have on this upcoming release. Just a thought.

http://legendshobbies.com/catalog/conta ... ss2ea9p7b0

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:38 am

Tomorrow will be the last day of Feb month (one month already). Need update from Jim@merit for DAUNTLESS. Can we see the picture of the first production batch or at least the first DAUNTLESS from production line?

norwaystar06
Corporal
Corporal

Post by norwaystar06 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 pm

First off im going to apologize in advance... i couldnt read all 13 pages of this thread as i dont really have the time, so if my question has been answered please just direct me to which page its on. Anyway the question is, do the Wings fold. I have very little real estate in my room and the only way i can fit this aircraft into my collection is if i did a carrier type "parking" with the wings fold display (the avengers wingspan is just ridiculous i had to fold that up, as to with my Hellcat).

On the side note i am very excited this plane is coming out. I cant wait to get the Coral sea, i have too many "Navy Blue" Planes in my room i think its very cool that a Sky Blue US Navy aircraft is coming out. Made my pre order cant wait to get it :D
Dang, That Rank should read "Seaman Apprentice" with 2 diagonal slashes :D US Navy!

snake

Post by snake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:34 pm

norwaystar06 wrote:First off im going to apologize in advance... i couldnt read all 13 pages of this thread as i dont really have the time, so if my question has been answered please just direct me to which page its on. Anyway the question is, do the Wings fold. I have very little real estate in my room and the only way i can fit this aircraft into my collection is if i did a carrier type "parking" with the wings fold display (the avengers wingspan is just ridiculous i had to fold that up, as to with my Hellcat).

On the side note i am very excited this plane is coming out. I cant wait to get the Coral sea, i have too many "Navy Blue" Planes in my room i think its very cool that a Sky Blue US Navy aircraft is coming out. Made my pre order cant wait to get it :D

It doesn't really take that long to go through the 13 pages of available info.

You probably spent more time typing the question, than it would take to check out the thread. And you might get some more info that you didn't realize was available.

Just saying. :wink:

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:01 am

norwaystar06 wrote: Anyway the question is, do the Wings fold. I have very little real estate in my room and the only way i can fit this aircraft into my collection is if i did a carrier type "parking" with the wings fold display (the avengers wingspan is just ridiculous i had to fold that up, as to with my Hellcat).
I don't recall this ever being mentioned on this thread so I guess your the first. Its very interesting though that you brought this up because despite the Dauntless serving as a Navy plane while on board aircraft carriers with limit deck space it was never designed with folding wings like what you commonly find on most Navy aircraft. The SBD dauntless was strictly a fixed wing aircraft.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_wing

So with that said I'm sure Merit will not include this feature in their overall design as it would pose inaccurate in relation to the real plane. For a list of available features on this upcoming release see link below....

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/mil-88002.html

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 am

On the other hand from what I see in the photos Merit provided on their site. The model will probably be packaged with the wing tips removed just beyond the main land gears. So theoretically with a little bit of ingenuity you could very well mount them in a folded position to save on space.