New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by cjg476 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am

Think we will see a banshee version of the USAAF type...I would be about that one....it would be neat and something different.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:38 am

S2 is going to be Midway, Yorktown. I thought for sure they'd do Enterprise.
The S2 is the plane flown by Navy Cross holder Lt. Harold Bottomley...
The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Lieutenant Harold Sydney Bottomley, Jr., United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in operations against the enemy while serving as Pilot of a carrier-based Navy Dive Bomber of Bombing Squadron THREE (VB-3), attached to the U.S.S. YORKTOWN (CV-5), during the "Air Battle of Midway," against enemy Japanese forces on 4 - 6 June 1942. Lieutenant Bottomley participated in dive-bombing attacks against Japanese naval forces in the Battle of Midway. Disregarding the extreme danger from intense anti-aircraft fire and enemy fighter opposition, he, vigorously and with heroic determination, pressed home his attacks against the Japanese invasion fleet thereby contributing in great measure to the glorious and decisive victory of our forces. His outstanding courage and determined skill were at all times inspiring and in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 pm

aferguson wrote:dunno. They may make them in batches of 1000 for each scheme, perhaps. S3 could be a Midway Enterprise version...just a guess. I have no idea what they have planned but i would bet on an Enterprise one at some point and a later war scheme or two as well. Might be a good strategy to, rather than make 10, 000 of one schme make 10 different schemes of 1000 each. Probably only a modest increase in production cost offset by a higher price and greater demand as many people could buy multiple schemes.
That would almost want to make me cancel the Coral Sea and order the Midway. The $149 is already going to be a hit in the pocketbook.
I want both versions though, and with an S2 in greater numbers might give me a little longer window to purchase the second one before they sell out. I don't want to miss the Midway version for sure.

That would be a good strategy though because everyone would be scrambling with the limited amount available. :?

Badcat mentioned in their blog they are sold out of half their allotment. I'm guessing 250 with the shared number at Military Toy Shop? They did mention that if these SBD's do well there will be more "toolings". http://www.talesofthecat.com/

Guess will wait and see more details on the number issued. No pre-order word of the S2 at Badcat yet.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Badcat tends to be very 'optiimistic' in sales projections....so having half sold already makes me pause, but it's possible, i guess.

I would think Midway scheme(s) would be made in greater numbers myself, since it will be far more popular than a Coral Sea scheme, so there wil either be a lot of the one scheme or a few different Midway schemes, in my view.

I think most people will be holding out for a Midway version, since these arent' cheap and like me, many will have limited space issues.

Still seems to be a surprisingly small number of etailers offering the Dauntless. Nothing from Aviatornut, Rez, Smalljoes, Bigbadtoystore, Monkey Depot...and interesting that there is no variaton in price at all, either up or down, from the etailers that are offering it. I wonder if Merit is insisting on a fixed price?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm

[quote="aferguson"]Badcat tends to be very 'optiimistic' in sales projections....so having half sold already makes me pause, but it's possible, i guess.

quote]

Makes me wonder if that is a way to get those on the fence off the fence.

I placed my pre-order with MTS on Monday via telephone. Isaiah at MTS remarked that mine was the first pre-order via phone that they had received.
He did not mention internet pre-orders or how many if any they had received.
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:14 am

Ordered a couple of Corsair pilots from Badcat today for the new Dauntless...Planning on using one for the Coral Sea version (S1), and the other for whatever the S2 version turnes out to be (when & if)...Figure I'll use an Avenger crew member for the rear seat...Sounds like that figure may have to be altered to fit!

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 pm

wow! ....nice new pic of dive flaps deployed on Merit site
Last edited by Yoxford on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 am

One of the picture from Merit website that show the dive flap in open position. I can see the pilot and crew figure inside the SBD.
http://www.merit-intl.com/month/1-27-12 ... 002pts.JPG

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:42 am

i think that's a scale model of a Dauntless, not the actual 1/18 dauntless Merit is producing. The pilots were probably put in by the model builder. There has been no mention of pilot figures coming with it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 am

I already pre-order this S1. When I first see the picture, I though Merit find the way to solve the problem at the back seat and can now provide the pilot and crew.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 am

BBi solved the problem with the 1:32 Dauntless by providing a gunner with his lower half cut off. This gunner station might be a little more detailed, but something like that might be an option.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:10 am

The dive flaps on Merit's site show the center dive brake having red paint on the inside. I've never seen photo evidence of the red on the center brake. I have seen a color photo with the outboard flaps' interior red but the center painted gray. Anyone know for sure?
www.TheLiterateShow.com

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 am

Dauntless wrote:BBi solved the problem with the 1:32 Dauntless by providing a gunner with his lower half cut off. This gunner station might be a little more detailed, but something like that might be an option.

That's a good thought. I've used legless pilots in several of my planes (e.g., Stuka, F-104, and F-14) and they look fine and are easy to put in or take out.

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 am

I've pre-order one of SBD, even the price plus international shipping fee will cost my penny that there is no other option.
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 am

I've pre-ordered this version as well. I think it's the only shot at getting a version with the red dot in the center of the stars, which I like. Anything early 1942 USN is desireable in my book. Plus in the 1/18 world, there is no garauntee of future liveries.
www.TheLiterateShow.com

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 am

I have pre-order this also. I agree with Ara this is probably the only shot at an early paint scheme. Now if only they would make a "yellow wings" I would have the "yellow wing" Dauntless in 1/144, 1/72, 1/32, and 1/18

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

Went ahead an preordered mine today as well while the price is stable and shipping is free.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Greetings

I ordered one as well. Must have......Dauntless :)

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm

jlspec wrote:I have pre-order this also. I agree with Ara this is probably the only shot at an early paint scheme. Now if only they would make a "yellow wings" I would have the "yellow wing" Dauntless in 1/144, 1/72, 1/32, and 1/18
Franklin Mint has a very nice 1/48 yellow wing SBD.

I think the 1/18 Merit SBDs are going to be babied at the factory and will look really nice, this first batch!
www.TheLiterateShow.com

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Greetings:

If you can find it the Hobby Master 1/32 Yellow Wing Dauntless is a much better model than what the Franklin Mint puts out. I think Flying Mule and some others still have it available. It is expensive, but well worth it, lots of very detailed features.

Regards,

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

I have the HM 1/32 "Yellow Wings" Dauntless, great airplane. I wil have to check out the 1/48 Franklin mint.

Is the Coral Sea version close to what the pre war SBD would be? May have to buy 2.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:56 am

Always enjoy watching this clip…and realize that the Merit SBD is as close as I will ever get to this… from master modeler and fellow Michigander, Rojas Bazan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-_ffOqDFg

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Yoxford wrote:Always enjoy watching this clip…and realize that the Merit SBD is as close as I will ever get to this… from master modeler and fellow Michigander, Rojas Bazan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO-_ffOqDFg
Speechless...

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 am

That is one heck of a scratch build!

That little dent at minute 3:18 made it so much more realistic 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Big fan of this but I heard some cautionary info today. Is cautionary a word? lol. Anyways maybe some of you guys will know more or less of the facts.

I had a source tell me that the plane is being molded from a model they have and that the plastic is more like that of a model then 21st's molds. Some of you may be fine with that but a retailer told me that I may want to wait and see what others think or wait to buy after they are in hand.

By no means am I trying to offend this item. Surely I will pick one up eventually. I just thought it was going to be the same grade of plastic as our favorites but I was told the plastic is thinner and the plane will be more delicate. I just thought I would pass along the info.

Hopefully it turns out great. :)
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx