1:18 Boxes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1:18 Boxes

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 pm

For you guys who display your planes, do you keep the boxes or toss them? I keep all mine but they are starting to take up my storage shed and Im wondering if you think I should keep them or toss them? Or what you guys do? Thanks
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1:18 Boxes

Post by Rylau » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm

As a long time collector I've seen the boxes add as much as an additional 50% to an item. I've seen empty boxes for sale on eBay. I save all of mine and yes...it's a real pain in the butt.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:16 pm

I've kept some boxes and tossed others. Mostly, I've saved the special edition boxes or boxes for items that turned out to be rare and HTF.

For a long while (from about 2000 to 2009) I was keeping just about every box and it got to the point that my storage attic was filled with boxes and there was really nowhere to put anything. I had to thin things out. I saved some boxes by putting planes and tanks back in them for storage, saved other special boxes that I wanted to keep, and recycled the rest. I filled up a dumpster's worth of space with all the boxes :shock:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I have a small collection compared to most of they guys here, and all the boxes occupy just half of our guest rooms closet.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:31 pm

I've been stashing boxes in the attic over my office. If my wife ever saw them . . . Somehow, she doesn't freak at the dozens of planes hanging from the ceiling in my man cave, but the boxes would look like . . . money . . .

Since I'm basically only buying "OOB" "used" stuff now, it's not the problem it was getting to be. I don't know what I'd do if the Big Guys ever really started turning out product again . . .

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah I save all my boxes too...and Ive been wanting to get rid of them...but I know alot of the time...years past...everyone has the toy...and no one has an original box...so Ive kept everything...and its alot...thanks for all the comments...maybe its time I fill my dumpster... :shock:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:57 pm

In the past year I have "repackaged" some planes to the highest degree of accuracy as possible to new. I did this first and formost for I would have to store/display one box and one plane and now it only takes up the space of one box. Now I have reduced my space requirement.

When I added on to the house in '06, I through out all of my old boxes. I had boxes for all but one AC up to that point in time. Thanks for allowing me to relive that stupid move........

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Bucky...if you need boxes...I will send some your way :lol: :lol:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:11 pm

I am not a box collector.I trow away my boxes as soon i get them,So far i don't regret not even one.I am always looking to make space to add new armor and the first thing that came to my mind was getting rid of the boxes.It does affect the value.But if you are keeping your collection,lets say for ever,it will be wise to enjoy them open.They also look better out of the box.I don't see collecting toys as a investment.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I kept the all boxes and packing, tiedowns, etc, until I downsized my home 4 years ago. Attic space is limited now so the boxes got tossed. My kids all left so 2 people don't need 3 bedrooms, full attic, high cieling full basement and 2 car garage with attic. 8)

The only boxes I have now are those with my NIB items being held for future investment or Pickel's future customs. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 pm

TankAce you may not think toys are an investment...but I sold $12000 worth in the last six months...including dungeons and dragons...star wars and axis and allies miniatures I had..and my 1:32 Ultimate Soldier collection...Toys are a great investment...I think they are anyways...I wasnt expecting to make any money off my toys...I have always just kept them..and I realized my toy room aka The War Room was starting to get full so I started listing stuff on ebay...I was glad I made the money...Im still in shock over some of the things people will pay for on ebay...
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Rylau wrote:As a long time collector I've seen the boxes add as much as an additional 50% to an item. I've seen empty boxes for sale on eBay. I save all of mine and yes...it's a real pain in the butt.
Did the ones on ebay sell? and if so, how much?
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:16 pm

I keep all my boxes since they make it easier to store those items I am not displaying. I guess if I had the room to display the whole collection I would toss the boxes in a heartbeat.
Last edited by immeww2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 am

Just thinned my box collection last week as I was finally reaaranging my attic...I did get rid of my 21C & BBI boxes, as I figure I would probably never go to the trouble of "re-wiring" the planes back into the boxes.
I did, however, keep my Franklin Mint Armour and Corgi boxes, as those are a no-brainer to repack (also kept my JSI F14 boxes for the same reason).

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 am

I think it's wise to keep those boxes. Suppose you want to do some trading when your 6 months is up? I don't know of any safe way to ship these large toys without breaking an antenna or propeller, or any small part. You're dealing with a lot of fragility. You have to have some pretty good packing skills to avoid any breakage, not to mention just the hassle. I've received some planes I bought on ebay the box was crushed during shipping, but the plane survived (and I still keep the damaged box)
Like Rylau said it can add up to 50% to the value. You may not buy them as an investment now, but things change sometimes (your children if any?) Ever watch the Antiques Roadshow? Might have to wait some more years, but the box is part of the toy (could they go any higher in value?)
Just being able to store them safely, or like many here including me who do not have the room to display all of them, rotate the collection and put them back in the box. It's better to have more options than not, even if you never sell them.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 am

I agree Dauntless...I dont think I could just toss the boxes...I think they do represent the toy...as well as a company that has since disappeared...I will save them for now..
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

rjvilla82
Corporal
Corporal

Post by rjvilla82 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 am

for me, I keep the boxes. I just fold them up and put them in storage warehouse where I luckily can share the costs with the fam.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I keep most (not all) of my boxes. Anything that comes with the plastic or Styrofoam molding I kept. Originally my first plane (P-47) and my brothers (now mine -- the British Corsair) we debated tossing the boxes due to size ... so glad I did not.

If you are going to toss your boxes, ebay them empty or trade them for other things.

Now on some of my Power Team Elite, I've tossed the box. And on some of the 21c Pak 40s, I've doubled them up and used the empty Pak 40 box for loose 21c vehicles I've picked up on ebay. Finally, for BBI, I have kept all the boxes except a few of the early Humvees and maybe one of the helicopters (which I doubled up).

I've also been saving the grommit-string things used for intraoffice mail and using that to better seal boxes. Finally, I've bought a stack of U-line shipping boxes that are sized perfect for most of the 21c planes.

-M

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

456THBG wrote:Just thinned my box collection last week as I was finally reaaranging my attic...I did get rid of my 21C & BBI boxes, as I figure I would probably never go to the trouble of "re-wiring" the planes back into the boxes.
I did, however, keep my Franklin Mint Armour and Corgi boxes, as those are a no-brainer to repack (also kept my JSI F14 boxes for the same reason).
Rewiring is a pain. When I first take out a plane or tank, I prefer to wait for a sunny day, go outside and take it out, and move the ties such that I can easily tie the plane or tank back into its package. Ditto for other vehicles like the Pak 40.

The ties do prevent the stuff from shifting around.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 am

At first I was thinking that in future I would keep all the boxes no matter how much of a problem they may present when the model is out on display, because when I put all my collection in storage at the end of last year, it was a real pain finding room for the aircraft I'd bought without boxes, they were hard to transport and took (take) up a lot of space in the unit.
But as I will only be moving them once more which is from storage to new home, and I know we won't be moving again (and I don't plan on selling any) I'm now thinking that getting rid of the boxes will be my best option.