Dragon 1/6 tank

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Dragon 1/6 tank

Post by ram04 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:08 pm

TTT, do the wheels roll on the 1/6 Panzer or does the suspension move on it?, just wondering, like you I really don't care that its not moveable, really, where am I going to push it to anyway? :lol:

How about a picture or two of that T-34 :D

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:28 pm

# 1 - The wheels do not roll on the Pz II. The tracks look and feel great.

# 2 - The Desimone T-34 is a nice custom. The hatches open and close and the guy I bought it from, painted it and installed axles to make the wheels roll besides the hatches.

I have another T-34 by Desimone which I am selling. That has to have the hatches cut to open. Mine is just as received by Desimone and I'm selling that for $250 including shipping in the U.S..... No bites yet.

I'll post pics of my new T-34 soon. I wanted to paint a Ruskie name on the turret and add stars and maybe add a de-ditching wood beam. I already have a crew for that. Just wanted to add bells and wistles.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey TTT, have any pics of the T-34 you're selling, or a link to a site with pics of it as it comes from Desimone? I may take it off your hands.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/cr ... -sale.html

Almost a perfect 1/6 of the original tank.

Plenty of pics around showing the Desimone T-34 and especially what it can be turned into.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the info on the Panzer, I plan on getting the kit, I've been following tmanthegreat's and 1958Zelda's builds.

I'm really looking forward to the 1/6 Sherman, I was going to wait for the kit, but AG's price on a full build was too good to pass up :D

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Wow, thanks for making me go find info on the T-34 on my own. A lot of bad reviews. Most folks say its craptastic and not worth the 125.00 they paid for it.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

CW:
Actually, the Desimone T-34 is a good base for a nice looking tank.

Check out this site to see what it looks like new and what some 1/6 guys have done to Desimone T-34's -

http://kanowarrior.tripod.com/actionfig ... /id60.html

To find a T-34 for $125 is easy, you just jump into your time machine, and go back 8 years. That's like looking for for the $2.50 Command Car that I bought years ago. :roll:

Thanks for your interest.

TTT

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:43 am

Crap doesnt get better ( or worth more) with time. Command car wasn't crap, so it's value does go up..
Bottom line is if you want to sell your T-34 easier, you ought to offer up some pics. I mean seriously,
Can you imagine anyone selling something, and then when asked what it looks like, the seller says go look out on the Internet and see if you can find pics of what you think it might be. :roll:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 am

My offer to sell was made with a pic on a 1/6 site. I posted a link on this thread when I was asked. I also have posted a link to show what can be done with is T-34 on this thread.

I am at a loss as to why you volunteer to piss on my sale. If you don't like what is being offered, don't buy it. If you are thinking about buying something, anything, I expect you to do some research. Everything has pros and cons. A full 1/6 size tank selling around $250 including shipping for a heavy very big box is a buy. At that price, everybody but an idiot would expect to unbox a very nice 1/6 tank. This T-34 is sold as a start, not a complete, display ready item. Of course, you can pay $1,200 and up and get a display ready T-34 tank. Desimone made "cheap starter" tanks, and all sold out and at least, one, his Sherman mold, is being modified for sale, by a etailer, to look better, but that will probably be killed by this DML Sherman. A better Sherman at a very decent price of around $600.

Again, thanks for the interest in my sale even if your "helpful" suggestions on my sale offer, are not worth anything.

Have a nice day.

TTT

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:46 am

Really? Only idiots would like to see pics of what exactly it is they will get for their money to ensure no missing or broken pieces? Especially this piece which is known for its brittle material. I have quite a large 1/6 scale vehicle collection and thought I would add something that I didn't know existed, and thought it would be another great transaction like with Pickel or Corey. Boy was I wrong ;-) How dare I ask for pics of what i would be buying from one long time member to another. :roll:

You have a nice day as well.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:19 am

With your vast experience with 1/6, including your "quite a large collection", I find it hard to believe you do not know about James Desimone and his vehicles. He has been around since 1964 with G.I. Joe and later with his 1/6 Sherman's, T-34's, Opel Blitz's, Stug's, LVT's, PBR boats and Dodge trucks and other pieces.

A direct quote from his site is:

"James vehicles are not meant to finished products, but rather a base for customizing your own 1/6 scale vehicles and at an affordable price."

His vehicles are so far from being "brittle" and being known for having broken parts, as to be a very uninformed statement. The major complaint about Desimone vehicles are that they made from a Polly styrene plastic type material that is much, much stronger than regular plastic, and they are hard to cut (to open hatches for display). I have owned many Desimone products, most of which, except the T-34 and his Opel Blitz, I have sold at a nice profit after finding the material being too hard for me to work with my limited cutting tools and abilities.

I have recently purchased another T-34 already customized with new tracks, opening hatches and a paint job. This I can add accessories to make a very presentable piece.

My add states the T-34 I am selling is as received from Desimone. I have never sold a broken part without clearly and honestly stating so.

My reputation on this site is for being a good trader, no sour feelings about my trading and selling either here, or on any 1/6 site as well as my 100% eBay rating with over 500 trade,sales, or purchases almost all of which are 1/18 and 1/6 items. I stand on my reputation.

Thanks for you continued interest, I am always ready to broaden your knowledge. :roll:

TTT

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:09 pm

I stated I have a large 1/6 collection, not that I have vast experience, especially in building or modifying kits. I buy completed 1/6 vehicles, I dont have time to paint or modify, only money to buy them. This is why i wanted to see what the T-34 looks like as it comes from the maker. If you havent opened the box, how would you know if anything is broken or missing? and if you have opened the box, why not just send a pic so I could buy? I found many compalaints (thanks to you having me go out and search) about the material Desimone kist are made of, in fact some of those folks compared it to crayons. Im not saying you are not a reliable seller, but if you havent even opened the box to see if everything is there, then how could you know if it is complete or not broken?

Ive never seen anyone so adamant about refusing to let a potential buyer see what the product looks like and its condition before they buy. Anyway, you have broadened my horizons as to what is out there in 1/6 scale, so something good has come of all this. ;-)

From one combat vet to another, peace out.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:51 pm

I have already posted here, a pic link on this board. I certainly haven't been resisting to someone seeing what I have for sale.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/cr ... -sale.html

This T-34 has been on display in my man cave. The original tank came in only a few pieces -
Hull
Turret
Cannon barrel (slides into the turret and separate only to save room on shipping)
Two treads
Wheels and screws to hold wheels on the body.

As I have said numerous time. This makes a good start to a full 1/6 model of a T-34.

I have also posted a link to show what other 1/6ers have done to their Desimone T-34s, as usual, some very detailed and some not.

If you want to see a particular area of this T-34, just say the word and I will post pics here tomorrow. I will be taking more pics anyway of the T-34 I am selling and the one I have received just to so what a little work and paint can do.

I have already had interest but this buyer want me to ship it to Europe..... just a case of someone reading "I will shop only to the U.S." and he interprets that to say "Shipping to Europe, OK".. Jeez

TTT

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Is there a way to view that post wihout being a member? It only takes you to a log in screen.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Here is two pics of my T-34

TTT

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:43 pm

And here is the start of my "new" T-34:

I will add tools, a bow machine gun, packs tied on, tow hooks, tow cable and a deditching log or beam.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 am

Those are pretty cool for 1/6, but it begs for accessories to dress it up, when you get it dressed up could you post some pictures?

I noticed on some of the ones you had a link to that the tracks were kind of narrow looking and others had tracks that seemed more of a normal size, did the T-34 use different size tracks?

Still, not a bad model to build off of, I really liked that SU-85.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm

As far as I can find out, the 1940 version of the T-34 had a slightly narrower version track. All I can find out is that the 1942/43 T-34 had "wider 550mm track" but no mention of what was the 1940 track width.

T-34's had two types of track "Waffle" and "Plate", both could be fitted with ice cleats.

The problem with T-34 is that they kept changing during the war and most times they even had differences between factories making the same model T-34. To add to the confusion, the Ruskies were big on rebuilding knocked out tanks using old hulls with new turrets. They wasted nothing.

Of course the SU-85 used the same T-34 body as well as even bigger gun platform using the T-34 hull as a base.

TTT

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 am

I got to see an Armortek 1/6 Sherman this weekend, so now I have a good idea of the physical space the Dragon model will take up.
There was also a 1/6 King Tiger made by the same company, complete with scale zimmerit, and in a similar scheme to the 21st 1/18 prototype. I really hope that's where Dragon are eventually heading with this range, because that really would be the Crown jewel in my afv collection.

Sam

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 am

Agreed. I hope they do something versatile like a Panzer IV or Tiger. Please no panzer III. :o Now a stug of any sort would be nice!!!!

When I mean versatile I mean I can use it on most fronts, not primarily eastern front.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 20july1944 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:A Dragon 1:6 Sherman :shock:

The Panzer II kit cost about $210 and has around 750 parts but it gives a good idea of what to expect if they go the Sherman route. Given Dragon's tendency for maximum detail in a kit, a Sherman will be insane. I would expect the kit to retail for at least $500, probably have 800 to 1000 parts, partial interior in the turret with gun breach, mg, seats detailed, working hatches, and individual track links...
Did you really mean it is $210? That seems inconceivable. Where is it available for that price?
Wehrmacht Toys make me smile!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 am

Most online retailers were selling the Dragon Panzer II model kit (not the fully assembled Dragon Expo 10 version) for around $210 + shipping. Its got over 750 parts and is quite a job to assemble and paint. If you're willing to put in the work, its a somewhat cheaper way to go than buying the fully-built model :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Read that again.... over 750 parts.... wow. I paid for the pre-built version rather than spend weeks putting one together and painting it. This way you open the box, slap on some accessories and pry open the view slots (if you are so inclined) and blam, you have a neat model.

If this small tank kit contains over 750 parts, imagine how many parts will be in the DML Sherman kit whenever that kit comes out. The pre-built Sherman pre-orders are running around $600 shipped to your door.

Let's just hope with the Sherman, we don't meet the complaints now arising on new Taowan all metal 1/6 SdKfz 250 is meeting with assembly issues and accuracy issues. I personally like the metal Taowan, but with a Armor Hobbies plastic kit available currently for $150 and the Taowan running around $600, the choice is simple in these days when cost is king.

TTT

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Read that again.... over 750 parts.... wow. I paid for the pre-built version rather than spend weeks putting one together and painting it. This way you open the box, slap on some accessories and pry open the view slots (if you are so inclined) and blam, you have a neat model.
I'm beginning to think that's what I should have done :lol: I mean, in terms of materials cost (kit + paints + glues + putty + etc) I haven't exceeded the price of the assembled version - yet. However, given a busy work schedule my project has stalled for the time being and I'm left thinking it would have been simpler just to have forked over the extra few hundred dollars and bought the assembled version. I'll get my kit done eventually :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:54 pm

BTW - Monkey Depot (anybody remember them?) has the Armor Hobbies 1/6 SdKfz 250 for a measly $159. You can't beat that with a stick.. :lol:

The key, as I see it is to pre-order these big items. You are taking a chance, like the FOA SdKfz 251 horror of a few years ago, but going with a big name like Dragon, I feel you can't go wrong. I paid under $500 for the pre-ordered pre-built Panzer II and $500 for a pre-ordered Sherman. Both those do not include shipping, but not bad prices.

I have never lost any money on a resell of any of my 1/6 items.

BTW - For those interested, I got my money for my T-34.. :roll:

Like I said, I never lost money on any 1/6 item...... or any 1/18 item either, for that matter.

TTT