Dragon 1/6 tank

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Dragon 1/6 tank

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:05 am

FYI - As a follow up to the 1/6 Pz II recently released by DML, first as a prebuilt and then a kit.

DML is going to make a 1/6 Sherman. Pics are "in the pipeline" of 1/6 sites, of the upper and lower hull and turret. It will be plastic, should be detailed, and if not too super expensive, a must have for every 1/6er with the room. 8) And the tink of course. AHHHH, for the days of the 21C $59 Stuarts and WSC's. :roll:

Things are limited for 1/18 but are looking good for 1/6.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Dragon 1/6 tank

Post by Panther F » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:39 am

Now, a 1/6 Sherman (static or R/C) will look soooo much better sitting next to my two 1/6 Stuarts than that PII I almost picked up last month. :D

I need to look into this a little further! Maybe a Christmas gift to me?

~ Jeff

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:41 am

A 1/6 Sherman would be sweet, I wonder if the pricing will be in line with what the Panzer was?

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks TTT for the Great news!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:26 pm

A Dragon 1:6 Sherman :shock:

That is fantastic news! I'm still slogging away at my Panzer II kit... It is at once easy and daunting to construct and its been sitting neglected on my workbench for about a week and a half...

The Panzer II kit cost about $210 and has around 750 parts but it gives a good idea of what to expect if they go the Sherman route. Given Dragon's tendency for maximum detail in a kit, a Sherman will be insane. I would expect the kit to retail for at least $500, probably have 800 to 1000 parts, partial interior in the turret with gun breach, mg, seats detailed, working hatches, and individual track links...

I'm going to need a shed in the back yard now 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm

wow that's really something. Quite a release during these current economic times.

Maybe i should switch to 1/6 scale. It seems to be getting all the action (makes me wonder about those that claim 1/18 is too big for the modern day world?).

I do know of a few 1/6 aircraft..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

If I buy one..will someone paint and build it for me..?lol
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm

cjg476 wrote:If I buy one..will someone paint and build it for me..?lol
What's the pay? :mrgreen:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:DML is going to make a 1/6 Sherman. Pics are "in the pipeline" of 1/6 sites, of the upper and lower hull and turret.
Do you have any links of websites you have seen this on?

~ Jeff

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Not sure...whats the going rate?
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Don't know as I have never built one for another tanker. Came close but could never get a commitment. Going by my speed (and I never back away from detailing) it might take longer than most but I'm sure I could build it straight from the box without adding additional work. I have built several Tamiya 1/16 RC tanks and have many more to go.

Before you make a decision though, I think you should wait and see what type of assembly is involved and how many pieces the kit has on deciding a price ... no matter who you go with.

You might be surprised, the kit could be pretty easy considering it's size and I wouldn't mind helping you through the build via email.

~ Jeff

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:40 pm

cjg476......PM sent
Nev

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:45 pm

tankduel wrote:cjg476......PM sent
Nev
pm sent back
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks TTT. At this size you really can't afford more than one at a time in the hobbyroom! :mrgreen:

~ Jeff

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 am

Did anyone get the Fuyuan/Vantex 1/6 Shermans or M36 TD?

I know these are designed as RC versions, but the basics all seemed to be there to use as a display model and I wondered how they would compare on detail and price against the Dragon pure model kit version.

(I also read that Fuyuan were going to produce a 1/6 Tiger 1 early version, but not sure if that's just speculation)

Cheers
Sam

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 am

From pics, the Vantex Sherman looks very good, but there are a few very nice Sherman's in 1/6 on the market but they run into serious money. I think the point about DML getting into the big tank game is the reasonable price we assume DML will be charging. I think the general feeling is that the DML Sherman will run around $600 for a prebuilt version and $300 for a kit. With DML's massive production facility as compared to the much smaller facilities (Vantex) and the other "one of" super expensive and super detailed versions (around $10,000 and up), we assume the DML price will be low.

This is a first for a good 1/6 big tank.

I'm not including Desimone Sherman's (around $100-150), which are generally crap without doing major surgery to make something "nice". Over the years I tried four Desimone tanks and I sold all but the T-34 as they were just too much work for an old impatient guy (me). 8)

TTT

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:From pics, the Vantex Sherman looks very good, but there are a few very nice Sherman's in 1/6 on the market but they run into serious money. I think the point about DML getting into the big tank game is the reasonable price we assume DML will be charging. I think the general feeling is that the DML Sherman will run around $600 for a prebuilt version and $300 for a kit. With DML's massive production facility as compared to the much smaller facilities (Vantex) and the other "one of" super expensive and super detailed versions (around $10,000 and up), we assume the DML price will be low.

This is a first for a good 1/6 big tank.

I'm not including Desimone Sherman's (around $100-150), which are generally crap without doing major surgery to make something "nice". Over the years I tried four Desimone tanks and I sold all but the T-34 as they were just too much work for an old impatient guy (me). 8)

TTT

I hear you on Desimone's stuff.

I bought a Hetzer from him off of e-bay years ago and started to trick it out. But gave up after putting a couple of weeks into the project.

I would have done better just making it from scratch. :roll:

The wheels were total garbage and the tracks OMG :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks Threetoughtrucks

I only recently dropped into the delights of 1/6 vehicles thanks to your enthusiasm on the subject on this site, and pickelhaube being willing to ship Stuarts across the pond.

(I also then had that comedy moment watching the postie trying to lug the huge boxes from his van.)

I've seen various high value 1/6 tank models/kits, but don't want to pay those huge amounts for one model, and I'm not interested in the RC factor, so as Dragon is a 'known factor' Looks like I'll be going for the Dragon kit version when it finally arrives here.

All the best.
Sam
Last edited by Mad Sam on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm

As far as I'm concerned, size and weight are my only factors with 1/6. I can make room by rearanging and selling. Do I really need Five Jeeps on display? and two Kettengrads? and three Stuarts? I can find room for a Sherman.

This DML Sherman is plastic and I can't do a thing about a 55 pound DID SdKfz 251. It sits on the floor wearing tread marks in my carpet and I just change the crew and armement. When it was delivered, a 100 pound FedEx gal jumped from her truck with this tremoundous box and carried it up my walk like she was carrying a baby. After she left I couldn't move it, just by luck my son arrived fror a visit. He carried it inside and unpacked it or else it would still be on my front porch. :roll:

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:19 pm

I really like the 1/6 scale, parts are large and easy to see and with my eye sight thats a plus and they are not as fragile to work with, I'm planning on getting the Panzer and am very interested in the Sherman.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Couple of 1/6 items I've spied on ebay:

This truck looks pretty sweet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-Blitz-WW2- ... 25614c5539

Length on this is just under 4 feet. Crazy expensive. But who wouldn't want one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170697876274?ss ... 1438.l2649

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 am

As I said, super nice, but at a price. Metal-box, the company that makes the Opel Blitz and some very nice stuff usually priced starting around $1100 up to this Blitz at around $2500.

The tank on eBay, is from Modelers Paradise (a guy who buys kits in Germany and resells them here) has been crazy priced lately. He sells great tanks for alot of money but they are all full kits needing soder and metal cutting tools. He has doubled his prices lately for no reason. We (1/6ers) can buy some of his stuff direct from the maker in Germany for almost 1/4 to 1/2 of Hans crazy $20k prices. I've tried to buy stuff from him before but after raising his prices after I bought the item and after months of me paying a deposit, he could not "find the item in his warehouse" and after almost a year he returned my deposit. I still like his stuff, but his stuff needs a professional modeler who is very wealthy. 8)

These kinds of prices are why this DML Shermie is such great news. :?

TTT

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:36 am

I've been holding off on the the 1/6 Panzer II kit and it's started lowering in price at various outlets, gone down by equivelent of $75 in the last week or so, so now I've got to gamble if the price is going to go lower, against missing the end of the drop and watching the price go up again as they get scarce.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am

Sam:

Is the price of $75 you mentioned, in English pounds or U.S.?

Because it will never go down anywhere near $75 in the U.S.?

I have both the prebuilt and the kit and the only drawback I can see is the sheer number of parts in the kit (750). Still, guys are buying them, at slightly more than $200 and if they were not, DML would not have any more large tanks in the pipiline.

TTT

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 am

Threetoughtrucks - Sorry, $75 (dollars) is the drop in price.

I'm finding them on sale now for about $275 - $280 which although may seem expensive, isn't bad for over here when compared with the SAS desert raider Jeep going for the $150 mark.

I'd love to go for the pre-built panzer but so far I've only seen them at about three times the kit price, and I'm happy to do the build myself. A parts count of about 750 isn't too bad, I've had higher counts on some of the German tanks in their 1/35 range.

Have you any idea what Taowan models are like? I see there's a Sdkfz234/2 Puma due for release with a price tag of about $800, the photo's look good, I especially like the winter camo version, but as I said before, this scale is all new to me, and until I found the pictures today, I'd never heard of them, but I saw they also do a White Scout car and thought of you!

All the best.
Sam