Dragon 1/6 tank

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Dragon 1/6 tank

Post by Mad Sam » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:15 am

Found this on e-bay. Needed oxygen when I saw the price.
item 140622060254
I'm sorry I can't post link.

I got the pre-built Dragon desert raider jeep this weekend. My wife spotted it in the window of the model store we were visiting and suggested I might like to buy it....I was worried for a second, thinking she'd taken a knock to the head, but luckily she was ok, she'd noticed it had been discounted down in price by the equivalent of $370.
She thought I was getting a bargain, and I thought that if she thought I was getting a bargain, it must indeed be a bargain. So home it came with us.
Must make sure she's along when Sherman hits the shops....

All the best
Sam.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Actually the price for that German modern tank is not bad. That tank is huge.

Vantex is said to be bringing out a 1/6 RC King Tiger around Christmas. No other details on the KT except that it is coming out soon. Hope they mean Christmas.... this year... 8)

Then for a total of around $8k you can have a 1/6 Sherman and a 1/6 King Tiger chase each other around your yard. Wow..... the mind boggles.

Pics of 1/6 KT's that exist now and cost around $10k are here now but the price is a little steep for me. :roll: besides the huge size and weight alone of the KT.

At least the Vantex KT will be plastic.......

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Price is out. Show price now is $699 and regular price will be $750. No word on the kit, probably half the pre-built price.

A new line of budget tanks is out now. First tank apears to be a tank destroyer. Looks to be a bitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tIcvbacUWo

TTT

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Price is out. Show price now is $699 and regular price will be $750. No word on the kit, probably half the pre-built price.

A new line of budget tanks is out now. First tank apears to be a tank destroyer. Looks to be a bitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tIcvbacUWo

TTT

:D :roll:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 am

Hello there Threetoughtrucks!

As I can't get You-tube on my system - I wonder if you know what type of tank destroyer is going to be released? and is this in another Dragon budget range as well as their Orange boxes?

The price on the Sherman looks good, but I'm sure it'll get whacked up in price something rotten before I get to see one. (one outlet over here wanted $1100 for the pre-built panzer)

I've ordered the kit instead - about $290 inc postage - Can't get my hands on it 'till Dec 25 though.

All the best
Sam

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 am

Sam:

What I posted was a U-Tube joke with a toy tank with a small dog inside it .

It was cute as a method of producing a "Budget Line of Tanks".

TTT

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:39 pm

I have heard compliments, criticisms and complaints about this tank, and where this model Sherman tank was used.

No problems with verifying that this M4A3 Sherman was used in serious numbers in the ETO from August 1944 to the end and in the PTO in several major late battles like the Philippine's, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

The only criticism that means anything to me is the static running gear but seeing as I don't intend to run it around my floor (the VAAROOM VAROOM factor), I don't see this as a problem.

My etailer has the DML 1/6 Sherman as a pre-order for $624.99 with free drop shipping to CA, me paying undetermined shipping to me in NJ from CA.

My pre-order order is in, and seeing we had horrendous waits with old "new" 1/18 production from 21C, I don't see a problem with a wait on this DML production.

I'm good at waiting...... ain't I, good buddy... :roll:

When I get this Sherman, I'll post pics. This baby will sell out, no doubt about that. I'll get the kit also when that comes out for an investment.

Now I just have to figure out what has to go to make room for this baby.... :? Maybe I don't really need three Stuarts and six Jeeps? I almost bought a built metal White half-track this past weekend but the bidding got kind of high, maybe that was a good thing after all..... :)

TTT

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 am

Threetoughtrucks

LOL

So I spent two hours frantically searching the internet for a new budget range of Dragon tanks in an unspecified scale, and all the time it was a small dog in a toy tank.....

Curses.

Note to self; Must upgrade computer.

Cheers!
Sam

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 am

But, it was funny..... :roll:

Sorry Sam, didn't mean to be mean.

TTT

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 am

Threetoughtrucks

As I said, made me laugh when I realised what I'd actually missed....or not.....

The other thing that was a bit of a puzzle, why are people complaining about the type of Sherman to be released? Dragon have got to start somewhere, and they are a company who always make the most of their moulds -The 1/6 Jeep already has what? four types available?
So I'm confident the basic Sherman components will be put together with new parts to provide other versions, if the suspension stays the same, it won't be much of a leap to produce a new turret for a 76mm version, or perhaps a earlier hull configuration.

I reckon you'll need to find even more space for a whole platoon of these in the next year or so!

Cheers!
Sam

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 am

People are complaining about when this M4A3 Sherman entered battle. Why, I haven't a clue. If they want to complain after they see this tank in their own hands and find accuracy problems then I can see complaining, but complaining because this model did not participate in an individual battle? Have collections gotten so minute that they collect only D-Day, or Normandy paras or BoB or Africa or Market Garden? Sad to say, some guys do and get upset when a model just released does not fit in with their individual desires. Like the guys that collect German stuff and want only uniforms and equipment from a particular division.

Different strokes for different folks, says I. But don't piss on my parade.

Bolt counters have always been with us. I enjoy the hobby. If I'm not happy with a new project, I'll pass on it, but I won't complain about something new, buy hey, that's me.

Finally, no I won't need more room for each model Shermie. A M4A3 Sherman will do me nicely. I already own the only other 1/6 Sherman variant I'm interested in, a M-10 kit, still unbuilt, sitting with my unbuilt Blitz kit and my unbuilt High Speed Tractor kit. My M-10 kit would be replaced in a second if DML were to bring out a pre-built M-10. Then we're talking about making room.... :roll:

TTT

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:40 am

Hot off the press, here's a picture!

:D

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:49 am

Hello Wrights Collectables

Thanks for the picture. Isn't that off the Dragon Expo site? I've been looking for obvious flaws on the tank, but it does seem to be a really good model.
As Threetoughtrucks mentioned, there are always going to be Rivet counters, but I'm not one. It looks like a Sherman, therefore it is a Sherman...

Do you still have the Museum of Army Transport in Beverley? I used to take a stand at the Toy fairs John and Julie Webb held there, It used to be a good day, selling model kits amongst exhibits like 8F steam locos, Crusader tanks and Monty's staff car etc etc. (There used to be a Beverley aircraft outside too as I recall)

Regards
Sam.

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 am

Mad Sam wrote:Hello Wrights Collectables

Thanks for the picture. Isn't that off the Dragon Expo site? I've been looking for obvious flaws on the tank, but it does seem to be a really good model.
As Threetoughtrucks mentioned, there are always going to be Rivet counters, but I'm not one. It looks like a Sherman, therefore it is a Sherman...

Do you still have the Museum of Army Transport in Beverley? I used to take a stand at the Toy fairs John and Julie Webb held there, It used to be a good day, selling model kits amongst exhibits like 8F steam locos, Crusader tanks and Monty's staff car etc etc. (There used to be a Beverley aircraft outside too as I recall)

Regards
Sam.
Hello Sam,

I have no idea where the picture is from, I was sent it by a supplier and presumed that it was the tank you guys where talking about, my mistake?

Sadly that museum closed, they're building a cinema and houses on it. :(

The Beverley is now at Fort Paull, I would have thought it would have gone to Elvington, but never mind..

I think the Webbs now hold fairs at the Leisure centre (across the road), but turn out is dire, so I never bother!

I bought a Sherman from a fair at the Transport museum, has batteries, turn it on and it goes in a straight line. Who knows, maybe you sold it to me! That would have been in the 1990's I think.

Regards,

Ned

Edit: Remembered I had put a picture of the Sherman on my blog;

http://www.wrightscollectables.co.uk/bl ... ice-review

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 am

You were actually correct, that is the model we've been discussing, I just wondered if that's where the picture came from.

Shame about the Museum, I'd forgotten about it 'till I saw your location. I moved down South from the North-West in the early 90's, - I've not lost the accent though, apparently I sound like I should be in 'Corrie'! - Get the mickey taken all the time.

At the fairs, I used to sell plastic model kits, plus dioramas that I'd built, mainy 1/35 military but I do remember selling one at Beverley of a coal mine winding tower and pit head buildings that I'd built.. Not sure why or how I remember that!

Regards
Sam

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Anybody interested in this DML Sherman ought to read the BST section. Best price by far over what is currently being ordered as pre-ordered and once out price is scheduled to be around $750.

Note- This BST is not me.

TTT

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

* Currently being offered pre-order at Justice Fighters, $624.99 SHIPPED in the 48 States.

http://www.justicefighters.com/servlet/ ... %29/Detail

Thats cheaper than the DML DX11 "direct" deal, at least for those in the US Mainland.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Mitch:

While Justice Fighters price is very good, it includes shipping drop shipped to CA only and you would pay shipping from CA to your home.

I have dealt with Justice Fighters before and they are reliable and great to deal with.

With pre order prices of from $625 up to $700, you can't beat our own AMERICAN_GRENADIER's offer right now on BST. Still only drop shipped to CA, but his price is super.

TTT

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 pm

........... there are no additional costs ...

..... unless you live in a province protected by the United States , then yes , you'd have to pay more. :wink: :mrgreen: 8)

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, now Dragon officially made something that dwarfs the 21c M5 Stuart... Sorry 21c, you're ultimate just ain't quite so ultimate any more. That looks incredibe 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 pm

I wish they chose an M4A1 though. :( Well, lets PRAY they make a Panzer Iv or something. God, I will kill em if they do a Panzer III. :| haha :lol: :twisted:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 am

Just seen it come up on a pre-order over here - price in dollars - $1250 - but at least it's offered with free delivery! -Think yourselves very very lucky over there!

As to Panzer III v Panzer IV getting released in the future, if they ever do decide to go ahead, Dragon has got loads of sales info on which tank has sold well in their 1/72 and 1/35 ranges.
Maybe they used similar sales data to decide which Sherman version was chosen?

Personally - Same here on the IV being preferred - IVH or J, Brumbar and Lang would all be welcomed!

All the best
Sam
( now waiting patiently for the January sales)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:25 am

More info is coming available as this Sherman release time gets closer:

A 1/6er rerorts -
"Some have asked about the hatches and tracks, here is the reply from my dragon rep. Tracks are individually linked. They are connected one by one by parts on both sides.
- Wheels cannot roll.

- To leave creation of various tanks, there is no particular marking painted on it. No decal is provided either. Consider to have a stencil paper board (numbers) for painting by customers themselves.

- The hatches are provided as separate parts and can be posed closed or opened (by glue). However they don't have the real hinges to let it open/close freely anytime. Please kindly note."

I thought the idea of a working suspension was a little "too good to be true" but static is fine with me.

Guess, I gotta get serious about making room. :roll:

TTT

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks for the report!

With my '98 Blazer costing me $700.00 one week and then another $135.00 the next, I might as well sell it while it's running and get this tank!

Hello public transportation? :mrgreen:

~ Jeff

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 am

I had a spot perfect for the Sherman all set and blam, comes up a very nice T-34 deal and there goes my spot. Now, I have the T-34 in my office/man cave and this big freaking mailing box in my living room, which is not good news for a lady attempting to clean house for the Thanksgiving holiday. Gotta get serious about selling something big.... soon .... :shock:

TTT