1/18 V2

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1/18 V2

Post by gburch » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 am

After many, many experiments ....

(only the last phase of which are shown), I've come up with a paneled fin design that MAY be an improvement on what I had a few weeks ago:

The parts for the fin on the left have been rough-cut from their print support structure and sanded to fit vertically, but no other sanding or finishing has been done on them. I'm going to work these parts through the full finishing process over the next couple of days and see if the small improvements I THINK I've achieved yield positive results with slightly improved panel line grooves. The complex concave curve at the bottom of the fin on the part that extends under the rocket body does represent a definite improvement that I worked in while trying to improve the panel line grooves.

You can also see work on the small, round details on the engine section. The idea here is that, once surface finishing is complete, these details are drilled out and a fitting made from styrene tubing is inserted. I'm still experimenting with this, as the result you see on the one fitting in place is exaggerated from the real thing -- but, again, I'm facing the question of exaggerated detail or no detail . . .

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 am

The loooong period of intense real-world work ended abruptly (and favorably :) ) for me yesterday. I'm going to be decompressing for a couple of weeks but, while I do, I'm going to try to pick up work on getting the first V-2 kits ready for sale.

While I've been working on work-work, I have printed out an inventory of parts for three full kits and have many parts printed for the fourth and fifth kits:

The work that lies ahead is finishing the instructions and building notes. This will take a while, and I don't want to sell any kits without a full set of printed instructions to go along with them, since some of the techniques involved with building a kit with parts created with this new technology WILL be different from what you're used to.

Right now, I'm guessing I will be able to take orders for the first kits by the end of February. I hope by then to have enough parts printed to be able to ship at least five kits in the first batch, with more every 10 days to two weeks after that.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:49 am

Getting there:

... one of many drawings being finalized for the instructions, along with the assembly and finishing notes. I'd say I'm 80% of the way there. Ready to start taking orders in two weeks or so.

One issue I'm struggling with is photo-documentation. To make cost reasonable, I'm thinking of printing the instructions in black-and-white. But the photos I want to refer to in the instructions are far more helpful in color. This may be the one thing I put on the web, having references to photo numbers in the printed instructions that match up to images available on my web site. What do you think?

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Man sure looks like a lot of parts :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Anyone else have the urge to put a rocket in one and watch it really fly?!?!? :shock: :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:41 am

You could print the instructions in B&W to keep your cost down, and make the color version available via download. Another thought would be to provide them on CD-R.

Personally, I'd be OK with just the electronic instructions, printing them only if needed.

Looking good!
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 am

pickelhaube wrote:Man sure looks like a lot of parts :shock:
The final part count is:

All body parts: 25 printed parts

Fins: 16 printed parts (4 per fin)

Total printed parts: 41

Styrene tubing: 20 lengths cut from supplied tubing (5 per fin)

Washers: 4 (1 per fin).

Total parts (counting tubing sections separately): 65

Given the nature of this project as a completely "new thing" in terms of a model made almost completely from printed parts, I think this is an acceptable level of parts.

There is a new MakerBot printer with a larger build area that MIGHT be able to produce a kit like this with fewer parts ... but I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out of that before I commit to the new design as a second machine.
flyboy_fx wrote:Anyone else have the urge to put a rocket in one and watch it really fly?!?!? :shock: :D
It wouldn't surprise me if someone eventually did that, but the model is quite heavy as flying rockets go, so it would require a larger motor to get any kind of altitude. I think it's definitely strong enough.
aae83 wrote:You could print the instructions in B&W to keep your cost down, and make the color version available via download. Another thought would be to provide them on CD-R.

Personally, I'd be OK with just the electronic instructions, printing them only if needed.

Looking good!
Thanks! I really want to provide a nicely-presented notebook of printed instructions to help offset some of the trepidation some people might feel about tackling a model made with this new technology. A lot of what I do professionally as a lawyer handling mainly engineering and technology matters is essentially specialized technical writing, so making some decent instructions is second nature to me.

I do think the photos will be on the web and referred to by number in the instructions.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:47 am

I've been struggling with the principle that "the best is the enemy of the good" on the instructions I'd hoped to include with this kit. Getting from 90% of what I'd wanted to do to 100% is taking much, much longer than I'd hoped, as I struggle with dealing with having a real life and a real job that take precedence with my time and energy.

Given this, I'm near to the point where I'm going to draw a line short of 100% of what I wanted to do with the instructions and offer the first kits with instructions at the level of completion I'm near to now. I hope to continue refining the instructions after I start selling kits and, when I get them to what I really want them to be, I'll send them to the first buyers free of charge.

So, with any luck, I'll be starting a new thread in a week or two weeks with the announcement that I'm finally ready to start selling the first kits.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 am

How much were these selling for again ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 am

pickelhaube wrote:How much were these selling for again ?
$150 per Nazi wonder weapon

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

MAN! Lots of parts to put together!

So, $150.00 ... huh? That's better than the $100.00 wanted on the 1/16 kit on eBay that really looked like less of a model and more of an actual flyer. I have a 1/48th kit, but that's more for a desktop ... not for real displaying.

Since all my aircraft is in 1/18th this sounds (and looks) great.

LUK!!

~ Jeff

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

any plan for the base for launch pad
whats up doc....

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 am

A plan, yes. Most of the base will be styrene tubing. The mounting rings will be tough and I've only begun to think a little about how to do them.

At the rate I'm going, it would be well into summer before I tackle this. I imagine it will be an inexpensive add-on kit -- something like $30 or so.

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by AJWW2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

excellent work! I love your huge work space/display area!
it be like dat

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:26 pm

i was poking around Shapeways and discovered someone who is making and selling this:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/294194/v ... scale.html

is that you gburch or is it someone else?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:00 am

aferguson wrote:i was poking around Shapeways and discovered someone who is making and selling this:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/294194/v ... scale.html

is that you gburch or is it someone else?
It's not me. I've corresponded with the fellow who did this. He's got a fairly detailed 3D model of the whole V-2 engine, and we've talked about his product being compatible with mine, which I'd be very happy with. The combustion chamber and nozzle assembly on Shapeways is the only one he's gotten to the point of being printable.

I actually owe the creator of this some correspondence but, like the rocket project itself, I've been running up against a lot of real-world interference in pushing things forward. With any luck I'll have some good "me-time" this weekend to get closer to the finish line.