Authentic Models 1/25 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny Photo Review

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Authentic Models 1/25 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny Photo Review

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm

When it comes to classic early American aviation, one cannot discuss the topic without mentioning the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny. For many Americans, this slow and easy to fly machine was the first glimpse of aviation. Designed as a trainer for World War I pilots, the Jenny really made a name for itself after World War I. Bought as surplus by many World War I veterans and other pilots eager to fly; the Jenny became a familiar sight in American towns and cities. These barnstorming pilots would fly from small town to small town, entertaining the public and giving rides in the Jenny. The Jenny was never a fast aircraft nor was it reliable, the Curtiss OX-5 engine proving troublesome throughout its history, but it inspired an eager American public to gain interest in aviation. Unfortunately for the Jenny, the flying took its toll. By the end of the 1920’s, many of them were simply used up and government regulations scrapped many of the survivors. Today, very few original Jenny aircraft survive in flying condition, many in the hands of private museums who have lovingly and carefully restored these delicate and beautiful classics.

Authentic Models is a Dutch company that produces a variety of antique style novelty and display items. They produce globes, balance toys and mobiles and a line of model airplanes. The airplanes are made to resemble old-fashioned construction of wooden frame with covering. This style of construction is similar to many of the actual real airplanes being modeled. Quality has been an issue with these planes in the past and quality seems to vary by the model. However, with my recent purchase of their Desktop Curtiss Jenny display model, Authentic Models has produced an excellent representation of the Jenny with a antique style charm that would make this plane a conversation piece in any collection.

The Jenny measures 20” in wingspan, which if I figured it out correctly works out to between 1/24-1/25 scale. This scale will be a bit of a drawback for scale purists as it fits between 1/18 scale and the smaller 1/32 scale. However, the size of the model is perfect for any desk or shelf. The model comes well packed in a sturdy box with foam inserts protecting the entire model so nothing will be broken. The model comes with a stand that looks much like an old fashioned racing course pylon and two steel rods that fit into the stand then fit into a hole at the bottom of the model.

The Jenny features wonderful details that really make this model stand out. The wire rigging on this model is outstanding. It is tight and it looks like no piece of rigging was left off the model. This model is actually more detailed than some of the larger models Authentic Models produces. The fabric over wooden frame construction makes the model look outstanding as well. The OX-5 engine is present and looks authentic enough for my taste and the plane includes a wooden propeller as well. The spoke wheels and rubber tires are a nice touch.

The model is painted in a nice post World War I color scheme of dark blue and yellow wings with the US Army style markings on the aircraft. The aircraft has fictional markings but they are done in the nature of the time period and don't detract from the plane. The metal accents give the model a nice look as well. The control surfaces do not move and quite frankly am glad they don't, I'd be very worried about breaking a wire or fitting. The cockpits are not too detailed but do have a wooden instrument panel, some gauges, and leather seating and cockpit edges. A pilot is not included. With the rigging and struts, I won't try to get anyone into the front cockpit but found a pilot in my parts box (bust only) and wedged him into the back seat which is where the pilot/instructor usually sits. The pilot reported the Jenny flew well and handled nicely and was glad for clear skies finally over Pennsylvania.

The Curtiss JN-4 Jenny is a seldom modeled aircraft and this prebuilt example from Authentic Models is a beautiful display piece. The unique construction of cloth and wood with metal accents gives this plane a sense of detail and craftsmanship that sets it apart from most plastic models. This model would be home in any aviation collection or as a display piece in a room of antiques or on a desk. For someone who loves early American aviation, this aircraft would be right at home. I love it and am happy to have bought this piece. It will be enjoyed in my collection.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Sabrefan

Re: Authentic Models 1/25 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny Photo Review

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Wow, that is a beauty. Would you mind telling me around what these go for? And where did you find this model? Thanks. :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

snake

Post by snake » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:42 am

That is a fantastic looking Jenny there, Corey.

Very detailed, and the rigging looks excellent, and really adds to the model.

One of the best pre made models I have seen in a long time, and I would also be interested in the price? Bet it isn't cheap. :lol:

Saw on their homepage $179, but it doesn't seem to show the extra rigging?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:00 am

That is one fine looking Jenny :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Not bad, but I don't care at all for the oversized screw eyes, or whatever they are that they used to hold the control wires. I think they detract from the looks.