F-16 parts

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

F-16 parts

Post by P39time » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi guys,

I got my Enduring Freedom F-16C about three weeks ago. The plane was fine, but the veritcal stab/rudder is warped. If you look at the model from the top it is really bad as the whole rudder bends over to the right. I contacted BBI, and they told me I would have to get this part through the retailer I got the model from. Well I contacted them three weeks ago and they told me to give them a couple of weeks. Well I contacted them yesterday, and they said they were still working on it. Can someone here tell me how I can get a new rudder for my F-16C model? Looks like I am not getting anywhere now. Thanks.
Jarod

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: F-16 parts

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Can you re-bend it with a heat gun maybe?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

snake

Post by snake » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles, P39time.

Your dealer should be able to help you out on this. There are a couple of dealers on this forum, so they should have some better info on this.

If you feel that you are getting nowhere with your dealer, you could threaten to return it, as it was defective from the start. That should get their attention. however you will be on the hook for postage, so this would be a last resort.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I've no experience like that, but to the hot air I would prefer the hot water technic to slightly soften the hall rudder, than squeeze it between to straight pieces of wood until it gets cold.

Norsican
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Norsican » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:19 pm

You are better off sending it back and getting another, Granch. If you melt the tail, they might not take it back.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:45 pm

granch wrote:I've no experience like that, but to the hot air I would prefer the hot water technic to slightly soften the hall rudder, than squeeze it between to straight pieces of wood until it gets cold.

Hot water would definitely be safer than the heat gun.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

snake

Post by snake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
granch wrote:I've no experience like that, but to the hot air I would prefer the hot water technic to slightly soften the hall rudder, than squeeze it between to straight pieces of wood until it gets cold.

Hot water would definitely be safer than the heat gun.
And a replacement, or return of the entire plane, would be safest/smartest of all. :wink:

It is clearly defective, and if the retailer cannot get immediate replacement tail {which I doubt}, send the whole model back.

As you raised this issue immediately, hopefully you and the retailer/BBI can work out some form of compromise on the shipping costs involved. :wink:

Anyone have the BBI customer support email address? Some dealers on here selling this plane, so would be great if you could help P-39time out with this.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, P39time, who has the best solution? And what is the cheapest way to go through? If you have to pay for the shipping, I think you can try with no harm, with warm, non boilling water. At least, you fin could have been curved because the packaging was some hours under the sun heat, or it suffered from the weight of something heavy, so, what about the reverse operation... weight and heat are annoying, with the time all wings get curved down through their own weight. For this reason, I let my helicopters hanging upside down for 2 weeks 2 time a year. Helicopter prop blades are of course very smooth, but I could straighten out harder plastic parts in warm water, like M-16 guns. For your F-16 rudder, I think that the only problem could be the markings, I dont know if they are painted or transfer and if they will stand unharmed in warm water. PH or TKO could have an answer about this question, with their very long skill...

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 pm

I did the Hot/Cold shock method on the F-16 missiles a couple of weeks ago. Worked out pretty good. If the fin is slightly warped I would think it could be straightened. The markings are done using a silk screen and bumper method, so those should not come off in water. The ink could crack if the fin was bent to much.

A piece that big you would need a sink to do it in. One side hot water and the other side ice cold. Soften, straighten, ice water, rinse and repeat till straight.

Like Snake said I would exhaust all efforts to get a replacement before I tried anything. If your stuck with it what's it going to hurt. If your not comfortable doing it I am sure one of the boeard members would give it a try. Wish you luck.