Picking up the Gauntlet

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Picking up the Gauntlet

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 am

Now with the vacuum caused by an unsavory character and his business ethics there is a huge hole in the XD market.

Should I pick up the gauntlet ?

I have already made a short nosed Fw-190 ( actually with help from the Hun )

I know I could copy it and I have already made the correct spinner and prop.

I also feel that I could make the P-51 backdate canopy area.

Also I could copy the F-14 engine nacelle. Ethical ? Who knows should we care ?

ALL THESE AT POSSIBLY CHEAPER PRICES.

I do not have access to a metal forger to make the landing gear for F-14

For you guys who are still left and did not get these is it worth my efforts to reestablish these modifications.

The Me-163 is still in limbo. I wish that the mystery manufacturers of this would sh!t or get off the pot.

Comments ?
Last edited by pickelhaube on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tmanthegreat

Re: Picking up the Gauntlet

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 am

I think you should seriously make the ME-163. I don't care what the other manufacturers say (or don't say) they are going to do. I know I just sold my Skyworks kit, but now that you've refined your technique, I feel you could do just as good of a job, have better quality, include all the parts, and probably sell the thing for $150, which was the sale price for the Skyworks kit :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 am

Yes, Me 163!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 am

I was trying to edit the first post.

:?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

i would wait on the Komet. I think your energies are better spent on other projects. I'm pretty confident we'll see a komet within a year. I have no real information but a very strong suspicion we will. It's a very obvious choice for 1/18 and a guaranteed big seller.

There are so many other things you can make that don't have a chance of being made in plastic. Why take the chance on something that probably will? Aside from the armour you have planned, you can copy other skywork's items (did i say that out loud?), or do a myriad of other projects...i can think of dozens without even trying. With the dark grey 88 coming out, a sdkfz 7 would be a great idea, it doesn't look like Dragon will ever release theirs.

Lots of other armour and aircraft ideas, also the 40mm twin bofors idea could be revisited as could the Uboat conning tower.......there's no limit.

If you could find some way to 'mass produce' your stuff for lower cost, rather than having to cast each by hand, that would boost sales further. Something along the line of what Grunt is doing.

Anyway, i say no to the Komet, but a yes to picking up the gauntlet.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:24 am

What ever you do Matt, dont copy the F-14 exhausts.....they are less than impressive. You should design your own. I am confident they would be a far better replica than the SW parts ever could be. My SW exhausts were so bad, I ended up making my own. :(

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Given the number of 1/18 scale P-51D mustangs out there I'd love to get my hands on a P-51B/C conversion and even a P-51A or A-36A (Apache) conversion. If you do it you can put me down for at least two.

I would still like to see the F-14 upgrades done including an extra ordinance package and maybe the trolley and fire engine for a carrier deck diorama.

:p51:

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I agree with aferg 100% -- there are tons of great project ideas other than the ones SkyJerks was doing. A P51 conversion would be a good seller, I think. The FW 190 is plagued by not having enough donor planes on the market, I think.

I also concur 100% that we OUGHT to be able to come up with a way to mas produce things without being in thrall to unreliable, multi-link supply chains to unreliable Chinese manufacturers. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY !!!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm

I would gladly get in line for a FW190A Conversion kit.

It would be great if you did carry the torch to an extent. It really depends if you're up to the task. You don't want to get in a situation where you feel like you're under pressure and you start losing your enjoyment of the hobby.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I like the fact pickelhaube takes polls to determine what is popular and he gives constant progress updates. I learned through time that patients is a big part of the hobby. If there is something you want and you are patient and determined, it will eventually be yours. It also helps when money is up front. I've read some of the posts and see how a "FEW" people will say they are committed and then back out when it's time to put up the money. I've always believed if you commit to something you must follow through. After all you want to be remembered as a person you can trust when the chips finally fall.
Last edited by rschaap on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 pm

FW 190 A and P-51 B/C MOST CERTAINLY YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spare planes for each and would love to get some conversions.

:p51:

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Pickel, I think you picked up the Gauntlet long ago! You have been out in front producing 1:18 while the big guys have remained silent and always asking what the customer wants, have they ever?
I'd love to see an Me-163 made by you. Maybe someone can dig around and see if this is just a roomer from a company that doesn't want competition and then will never make it.......could happen...... :P
Any how, just keep doing what you do and asking the questions you do.... Your T-34 and upcoming Ho-229 are perfect examples of how this industry should work!
Normandy.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm

pickelhaube wrote:I was trying to edit the first post.

:?

I TAKE F14 NOSSAL

LANDING GEAR TOO IF YOU MAKE THEM
whats up doc....

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 am

Would be most interested in FW 190 A, and P-51 B/C conversions.

Would just be a smaller project[s], and the donor models are already available, especially the P-51's.

But from my perspective, would be better if you were able to supply a finished, and painted model.Get together with a good customizer, and this would work. I just don't have the time, skill or room to do these conversions myself.

My situation, and two cents.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am

I think as this hobby goes pickelhaube is a ray of sunshine in a rainstorm. I'll always be a supporter.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm

USCGSARdog wrote:What ever you do Matt, dont copy the F-14 exhausts.....they are less than impressive. You should design your own. I am confident they would be a far better replica than the SW parts ever could be. My SW exhausts were so bad, I ended up making my own. :(

-Rob
ROB!!! Dude!!! Great to see your post! Hadn't heard from you in awhile! :D

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am

Matt,

What are your thoughts, are you going to pick up the reigns?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 am

It is what you do with the reigns that counts. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your work!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I would eagerly take 2 FW-190A noses and spinner / props! EASILY! I have 2 190D-9's as donor birds anxiously waiting to become A models!

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Seeing as the All-Go rep is keen for new products, that pretty much confirms that All-Go has nothing new of their own to show for :roll:

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 pm

I know Birddog would agree that the A-10 deserves some more consideration - isn't that why you dropped it as a possible project for you before (cause SkyWorks was going to do it). I remember you were "testing the waters" at one point to do a full build of the A-10.
Maybe those reigns are a bit heavy right now with all the other stuff you have going one, but something to think about.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 pm

pcoughran wrote:I know Birddog would agree that the A-10 deserves some more consideration - isn't that why you dropped it as a possible project for you before (cause SkyWorks was going to do it). I remember you were "testing the waters" at one point to do a full build of the A-10.
Maybe those reigns are a bit heavy right now with all the other stuff you have going one, but something to think about.

I agree. I hope it could be a consideration for the future since All-Go/Skyworks A-10 plans seem to have vaporized now. It would be a big and costly project. My only fear for Pickle is that he gets heavily invested in it and then one of these damn companies actually comes through and it kills all his investment.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:44 am

I would like an FW-190A kit, but if you are worried about not enough Planes on the market you could by pass it and just make the Do 335 like I have suggested before... :lol:

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 am

I agree with Birddog an undertaking like the A-10 could easily be underminded by a company like JSI, Admiral or All-Go. The undertaking could be a whole lot of work for nothing. My vote is for the P-51 B/C conversion since there are so many P-51D's out there (possibly the most produced 1/18 prop job on the market) and based on what I've seen it does not take a ton of skill to convert the "D" model once you have the pieces. In an earlier post someone had even suggested a completed build which could be profitable for Matt should he decide to make the conversion. *****Just a thought*****
:p51: :p51:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm

rschaap wrote:I agree with Birddog an undertaking like the A-10 could easily be underminded by a company like JSI, Admiral or All-Go. The undertaking could be a whole lot of work for nothing. My vote is for the P-51 B/C conversion since there are so many P-51D's out there (possibly the most produced 1/18 prop job on the market) and based on what I've seen it does not take a ton of skill to convert the "D" model once you have the pieces. In an earlier post someone had even suggested a completed build which could be profitable for Matt should he decide to make the conversion. *****Just a thought*****
:p51: :p51:
While I know it would be a major undertaking, if Pickel decided to take on the A-10 in 1/18 scale, I would support him with a purchase regardless.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.