Skyworks....important information

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Skyworks....important information

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:47 am

Norsican wrote:
My guess is they got in over their heads. They had more orders placed and money received than product produced to sell. They had been struggling to keep up for quite some time. There was something going around about a death but who knows if that was true or just an excuse to shut the doors and rip people off. The big problem is that many buyers paid for items that took time to develop or create. These buyers passed the amount of time that PayPal allows for a refund. Those guys are hanging out in the wind. I really hope that they band together and go after him.

No, none of this analysis holds water.

Entrepreneurs don't close businesses when they get too busy; they expand. It would go against every fiber of their soul to shut down when things are cooking.

Deaths and terminal illness will normally only close an enterprise when it directly involves key personnel. We know that is not the case, either.

Retribution does nothing for those of us who no longer have a source for resin kits, Tomcat accessories, or custom work.

So my question still remains:

What caused Jack to abruptly close Skyworks and abandon the 1:18 marketplace?

Honesty does it really matter what caused it? He was trouble from day one. You can debunk all of our speculations till you're blue in the face and we will still probably never know. :roll:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 am

he probably just landed a good job with Chrysler and so shut down Skyworks, which was causing him all kinds of headaches because of all the crap he pulled. And of course he just took off with people's money rather than being honest and refunding it. Why is that so hard to figure out?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:22 am

Skyworks was maybe never a full time thing anyway. I know lots of people trying to make a go of side "businesses", anything from auto mechanics in the evening to trying to start up something legitimately, and I've known guys who just closed shop when it became too much.

He d!cked people over I guess (still not sure what's going on), and that sucks.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

Norsican wrote:
Were it me, and had I lost a substantial amount of money, I might be considering sending a group letter to management at that Chrysler plant advising them of the caliber of individual that they recently hired with the caveat "take this for what it is worth..."
And how would doing this get your money back?

You'd be better off plucking a dandelion from your front yard and blowing a wish.
I don't think Corey was giving you advice on getting your money back, he was just saying that's at least something you can do as a middle finger to the guy that ran off with your cash for whatever reason. If you want your money back (good luck), you'd probably have to try some legal means to get it.

I always found the Skyworks thing odd because it didn't seem like a "real store" to me. I'm glad I'm not quite as into planes at this point and just never pursued anything.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Norsican wrote:
Were it me, and had I lost a substantial amount of money, I might be considering sending a group letter to management at that Chrysler plant advising them of the caliber of individual that they recently hired with the caveat "take this for what it is worth..."
And how would doing this get your money back?

You'd be better off plucking a dandelion from your front yard and blowing a wish.
Is that you Jack? :)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Now there is nothing.

http://skyworkstoys.com/

Sorry fellas.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Norsican
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Norsican » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:00 pm

I purchased both VF-84 and VF-154 pilots from Skyworks, along with two sets of F-14 metal main landing gear legs and replacement cans. I thought the work was impeccable. The owner seemed to be one of those grouchy, quirky, creative genius types when I spoke to him on several occasions but he was always good to me. I can't say he was a friend, but I got to know him pretty well. What can't be denied is that Skyworks was a major business in 1:18 scale because most of the bigger players went broke years ago. I never bought his resin kits or customs but some were apparently happy, some not from what I've read.

Like him personally or not, Jack contributed a great deal to those who wanted something unique and could afford the prices he commanded. I'm sorry that he closed his business abruptly and has evidently left with some good customers money that never received their order. I hope that he'll continue to work on their projects during his off hours from Chrysler or issue refunds to those affected. Either way, the stand-up thing to do would be to contact these guys and let them know what's happening. While I'm largely in Jack's corner overall, I cannot condone leaving customer's in the lurch. Be a man and issue a refund or make the product; one or the other.

MY THEORY in all of this may not be politically correct. I think this man was pushed over the edge primarily by this board and maybe a little from one or two others. The endless and largely undeserved amount of pure meaness, jealousy, ridicule, character assasination, threats, and cyber-bullying he received became unbearable and he closed shop after searching for, then finding more appealing work elsewhere. I feel sorry for him and even more sorry for our hobby. Not satisfied with metaphorically beating and bloodying him on their playground, the Internet bullies are encouraging others to pick on him at his home and his place of employment. Many of those still poking him admit that they never did business with Skyworks or had any contact with Jack, yet still pile on namelessly from the comfort of their mother's basement.

Not everyone is thick-skinned. Not everyone speaks English well or writes diplomatically. Customer service and communication skills are arts both inborn and honed over many years. Creative geniuses like Jack are almost never socially refined. Most are testy, tempermental, proud and passionate in what they do. (Insert Michaelangelo, Burt Rutan, Paul Simon, and the mythological Soup Nazi, here.) These types of rare and gifted individuals are best left in their workshops with zero access to message boards. The comedian Dennis Miller has stated that message boards are like kids having a sleep-over in the basement, just shut the door and let them do their thing. This would have been great advice to Jack, and maybe some others in the business, too. The Internet message board community represents a small fraction of the 1:18 market, yet in forcing the closure of Skyworks has spoken for everyone. Now there is one less place to buy stuff. The words written here over the past couple of years have been clearly self-destructive.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 pm

I doubt it was "internet bullies" who led him to close shop. More likely, he couldn't come through on too many promises - got in way over his head. Most of the bullying was done by people who were dealing with him and had actually sent money and not received product. These are the people not only trying to PM him but actually calling his business as well (as right they should).
Granted a few who did not actually have dealings may have piled on a little, but these were mostly few and far between.
There was some other piling on that came from posts Jack left in various threads that just asked for trouble - he asked and he received.
This whole mess was his fault. You cannot blame people who were trying to give him business. He very often seemed to act as if everyone here at SSHQ was beneath him. Who does he think buys his product? There may be many who wouldn't pay his prices, but don't you think that if anyone is going to spend $600 on a model it might be someone who is actively engaged in a Small Scale Military Forum?? Many here did buy his products including myself (apparently I was one of the lucky ones).
I can't feel sorry for someone who tells customers to contact Paypal for refunds - that is cowardly and just poor manors. Now if he felt bullied out of the hobby then decided to pack it in and actually refunded money, I might have some sympathy for him.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Norsican wrote:I purchased both VF-84 and VF-154 pilots from Skyworks, along with two sets of F-14 metal main landing gear legs and replacement cans. I thought the work was impeccable. The owner seemed to be one of those grouchy, quirky, creative genius types when I spoke to him on several occasions but he was always good to me. I can't say he was a friend, but I got to know him pretty well. What can't be denied is that Skyworks was a major business in 1:18 scale because most of the bigger players went broke years ago. I never bought his resin kits or customs but some were apparently happy, some not from what I've read.

Like him personally or not, Jack contributed a great deal to those who wanted something unique and could afford the prices he commanded. I'm sorry that he closed his business abruptly and has evidently left with some good customers money that never received their order. I hope that he'll continue to work on their projects during his off hours from Chrysler or issue refunds to those affected. Either way, the stand-up thing to do would be to contact these guys and let them know what's happening. While I'm largely in Jack's corner overall, I cannot condone leaving customer's in the lurch. Be a man and issue a refund or make the product; one or the other.

MY THEORY in all of this may not be politically correct. I think this man was pushed over the edge primarily by this board and maybe a little from one or two others. The endless and largely undeserved amount of pure meaness, jealousy, ridicule, character assasination, threats, and cyber-bullying he received became unbearable and he closed shop after searching for, then finding more appealing work elsewhere. I feel sorry for him and even more sorry for our hobby. Not satisfied with metaphorically beating and bloodying him on their playground, the Internet bullies are encouraging others to pick on him at his home and his place of employment. Many of those still poking him admit that they never did business with Skyworks or had any contact with Jack, yet still pile on namelessly from the comfort of their mother's basement.

Not everyone is thick-skinned. Not everyone speaks English well or writes diplomatically. Customer service and communication skills are arts both inborn and honed over many years. Creative geniuses like Jack are almost never socially refined. Most are testy, tempermental, proud and passionate in what they do. (Insert Michaelangelo, Burt Rutan, Paul Simon, and the mythological Soup Nazi, here.) These types of rare and gifted individuals are best left in their workshops with zero access to message boards. The comedian Dennis Miller has stated that message boards are like kids having a sleep-over in the basement, just shut the door and let them do their thing. This would have been great advice to Jack, and maybe some others in the business, too. The Internet message board community represents a small fraction of the 1:18 market, yet in forcing the closure of Skyworks has spoken for everyone. Now there is one less place to buy stuff. The words written here over the past couple of years have been clearly self-destructive.

Well.

You do not know him like I know him.

I had business dealings with him.

That ended with me calling the cops on him. To no avail.

We are on opposite sides on this situation.

I will say again I had to call the cops on him.

You bought a couple of figures off of him.

He got me for a few hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise.

Those are the facts and were is he now ? If he were a man he would come forward and try to solve these issues.

But he does not. It is OK to like him but if you know him like I do your opinion would change in a millisecond.

I have never hid my opinion of him. At one time I did consider him as a friend . Slowly but surely' after he did not do what he said he would. My opinion of him changed . It did take about 6 months. So from friend to calling the cops on him. You can fill in what happened in that time.
If not I would be happy to enlighten you.

Just PM me.

Cyber bulling . Are you kidding me ?

Rare and gifted are you kidding me ? His last products were made by a 3D printer. He did not make them he had them subbed out.

Please God, know what you are talking about before you say such things.

You can still think he is of good character after ripping all of these other guys off ?

Are you for real ?

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Now Jack is a "creative genius"? That is fricken hilarious!!!!!!!!!
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Norsican wrote:I purchased both VF-84 and VF-154 pilots from Skyworks, along with two sets of F-14 metal main landing gear legs and replacement cans. I thought the work was impeccable. The owner seemed to be one of those grouchy, quirky, creative genius types when I spoke to him on several occasions but he was always good to me. I can't say he was a friend, but I got to know him pretty well. What can't be denied is that Skyworks was a major business in 1:18 scale because most of the bigger players went broke years ago. I never bought his resin kits or customs but some were apparently happy, some not from what I've read.

Yeah tell that to the guys who were out thousands of dollars because Jack decided to close up shop and steal people's hard-earned money.

It's easy to be an internet white knight when you're not out of anything eh?

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:41 am

Norsican wrote:MY THEORY in all of this may not be politically correct. I think this man was pushed over the edge primarily by this board and maybe a little from one or two others. The endless and largely undeserved amount of pure meanness, jealousy, ridicule, character assassination, threats, and cyber-bullying he received became unbearable and he closed shop after searching for, then finding more appealing work elsewhere. I feel sorry for him and even more sorry for our hobby. Not satisfied with metaphorically beating and bloodying him on their playground, the Internet bullies are encouraging others to pick on him at his home and his place of employment. Many of those still poking him admit that they never did business with Skyworks or had any contact with Jack, yet still pile on namelessly from the comfort of their mother's basement.
That is the biggest line of BS I have read on this forum is quite some time. Please, take some time to review the threads he has posted in. Jack was a hot headed, ill tempered jerk. He had no idea how to speak to people and should have never been upfront representing his company. I have personally witnessed him attack others on this board. Were some board members overly harsh with critiques regarding his work? Sure they were. But others were equally pleased and posted to that effect. That’s the nature of his work and this forum. I have no sympathy for someone who has shown none to others. To be honest, after reading all of what he has done to other members over the years here I don’t know how you could ever side with him. I think it speaks volumes.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Internet 'bullying' seems to be a valid point. What I see here is a whole bunch of people who have not had a problem themselves with Skyworks, (except for a competitor),sticking the knife in. Lets hear from some of those supposed many customers who were ripped off and maybe this thread would have some substance to it.
Nev

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm

tankduel wrote:Internet 'bullying' seems to be a valid point. What I see here is a whole bunch of people who have not had a problem themselves with Skyworks, (except for a competitor),sticking the knife in. Lets hear from some of those supposed many customers who were ripped off and maybe this thread would have some substance to it.
Nev
http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthr ... #post30518

Oh there's pickel too.

It's sad when grown men have to whine about "internet bullying", just because someone said something remotely mean about them.

Hey, THIS is internet bullying:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-boy.html

Jack being called mean because of how he talked to his customer is not internet bullying. :lol:

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 pm

You mean there isn't anyone here on this board with a problem? I did mention a competitor in my post, that would be Pickel.

Bullying in this case is crap posted by people with no involvement in the matter which is going on here.
Nev

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:50 pm

tankduel wrote:You mean there isn't anyone here on this board with a problem? I did mention a competitor in my post, that would be Pickel.

Bullying in this case is crap posted by people with no involvement in the matter which is going on here.
Nev
This hobby is fairly small, so when someone screw someone royally, it gets pretty well known. As it should be. People have the right to be outraged at Jack for stealing. For being extremely rude in his postings, among other things.

If people (who has no involvement in the matter) being outrage at Jack for being a less than stellar person, is called crap, what do you call people's post defending Jack, when they have no involvement as well?

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Googly it appears to me the ones defending Jack did take the time to point out their dealings with him. I just clicked on this thread thinking I would get some facts on what happened, but what I see here is as you say second hand bitching about other peoples supposed problems on another board, which I don't read.

OK so there's NOBODY here who was ripped of by Skyworks for lots of money, thanks, that's all I wanted to know.
Nev

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

You may be right. We probably should not have polluted this thread with our personal opinions of Jack and his business practices. I hope those who he ripped off end up with some kind of satisfaction from this ordeal.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm

OK I went and read the thread on the other board which supposedly is the whole reason to have a special 'sticky' hanging party here on this forum. It appears there is one guy pursuing a fraud claim and one guy with a paypal claim, (inside 45 days)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:22 pm

tankduel wrote:You mean there isn't anyone here on this board with a problem? I did mention a competitor in my post, that would be Pickel.

Nev

At the time he screwed me we were not competitors :wink:

I thought we were friends :roll:

Things change and I have the right to call a spade a spade.

Why do you find offence with people siding on the side of good and chastising the bad ?

He has ripped people off and it has come to light.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT ?

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:53 pm

pickelhaube wrote:

Nev

At the time he screwed me we were not competitors :wink:

I thought we were friends :roll:

Things change and I have the right to call a spade a spade.

Why do you find offence with people siding on the side of good and chastising the bad ?

He has ripped people off and it has come to light.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT ?
I have to agree with Pickel on this one. If I took a bunch of money for projects and then left a message saying to try to get their money back from Pay-Pal long after the dead line was up for most of them I would have the crap slandered out of my name and reputation, and rightly so. If you are a real business man you honor commitments and if something falls through you do everything you can to make amends and fix the problem, if you dont, your not a business man, your a thief and/or con-artist.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:37 pm

I gotta say if one person is honestly hosed by someone, it's as bad as if 50 people got hosed. Just my opinion. Like I said, I don't buy stuff like that generally, so I'm just a sideliner here. It seems someone got dicked over though and that sucks.

That's just me though... At this point it's not worth wasting much more time on. The wronged can try for their money, and probably come up empty on that, but thems the breaks, as they say.

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Sometimes you just gotta look at the numbers to figure things out.

8-2-06 SSHQ posts new rule for all new members considering BST (over three years prior to Skyworks becoming a member)!

Skyworks joins the board on 11-4-09

12-25-09 Skyworks is offering re-paints on Tomcats (51 days after becoming a member)!

soon after Skyworks offers metal landing gear.

And the members start buying Skyworks's products...

Fast Foreward to today and you have the rest of the story.

No, I have not had any dealings with Skyworks at all. I became a member here just a few days later than Skyworks and never understood why Jack was able to get into selling on the site while I had to do the six months. I never complained because I was a new member and what the heck do I know.?

These are the numbers folks.

The BST rules were missed early on and someone got burned in the end.

Jim
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

snake

Post by snake » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Nev

Quite a few members here have had monetary issues with Jack from Skyworks.

So not sure why you are so on the defensive for somebody that has clearly "stolen" money from members here, if not "stolen" intellectual property.

Never mind his past problems, with him coming across as an arrogant, self absorbed jerk. His latest closing of his company, still owing money to people who have paid for his product, with a "Catch me if You Can" attitude, seems pretty typical.

A rude, sleazeball, in my opinion.

Norsican
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Norsican » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:34 am

I haven't seen any post that agrees with the "get your money from Paypal" exit that occurred when Skyworks was closed. I hope is that the number of people affected and the amount of money involved, is small. At this point, there are no hordes of folks posting "I sent Skyworks $xxx and never received my stuff." For those that are out money, voluntary restitution would be ideal but our legal system is effective, also.

For all the guys without a dog in the hunt, I think we'd all be better off listening and reading rather than participating, in my opinion. Further villification and calls to action are counterproductive at best.