ANOTHER DESERT 109E AND TENDER TERROR SHELL ON EBAY

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

ANOTHER DESERT 109E AND TENDER TERROR SHELL ON EBAY

Post by Buckyroo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/21st-Century-Toys-B ... 35b2e96bcf

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Soldier-XD ... 35b2e94851

This seller has been know to be tied to 21st Century Toys/AlGo, so to me these would be the real deals. I just didn't anticipate seeing any more hit the street.

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: ANOTHER DESERT 109E AND TENDER TERROR SHELL ON EBAY

Post by normandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 am

:shock: $500.00 starting bid on the 109? I'm out.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:12 am

normandy wrote::shock: $500.00 starting bid on the 109? I'm out.
And there is a reserve.......

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 am

Not that I was going to bid anyway, but I never bid on anything with a reserve. Call me a cranky old bastard, but if someone already knows the minimum amount they're willing to sell something for, then that's where they should start the bidding.

But that's just me... :roll:

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 am

Grilledcheese wrote:Not that I was going to bid anyway, but I never bid on anything with a reserve. Call me a cranky old bastard, but if someone already knows the minimum amount they're willing to sell something for, then that's where they should start the bidding.

But that's just me... :roll:

Jeffrey
I agree and thats why Ive never used one. I think its crap.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 am

So hear we go again... another "original 109 yellow 23"..... :lol: :lol:

Im going to start saving all my boxes and call all my repaints "originals" to.

Is this a joke or what? how many one of a kinds are there? or should I say is he going to make? :lol:

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am

Well it looks like the BF-109 FEP that I got for $50.00 did not make them any money. So now they have to break out the big guns. I did get a verification from a former 21st Century Rep that the FEP's did exist and this one did come in the "Cake Box" cover.
Money wise it's not probaby worth more than I paid, but it is a different breed from the production models.
JOC

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Well you did get a rare and unique model for a great price, JOC. :D

And $500 starting bid for the desert 109 does seem pretty high, considering that a few of these have been showing up lately. And the seller did say that 6 of these were done.

Too rich for me, but I will be watching both of these with interest.

How many Tender Terror's were done? 50?

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 pm

The 23 is crocked. Also the cross looks shinier than the paint next to it meaning it was probably masked over when it was repainted in flat colors.....am I the only one who sees this? was it like that on the last one that whoever it was bought?

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am

Here's the thread 6 months ago regarding the history of Yellow-23, of interest is the posts from VMF214 and tko211

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23216

So is this one of the 5 pieces in existence, an undocumented no.6 or a repro?

If this is somehow legit, $500 opening bid is not high and reserve possibly at $800-1k as the last one went for $1064
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 am

gouchy wrote:Here's the thread 6 months ago regarding the history of Yellow-23, of interest is the posts from VMF214 and tko211

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23216

So is this one of the 5 pieces in existence, an undocumented no.6 or a repro?

If this is somehow legit, $500 opening bid is not high and reserve possibly at $800-1k as the last one went for $1064
I know from my past dealings that this seller is associated somehow with 21st/Allgo. I purchased a TT shell from them and TKO was able to authenticate it for me. Without knowing for 100% sure, because I am not the seller, but knowing what I do from my past dealings, I would be willing to say that this is most likely one of the real deals. the same goes for the TT shell airplane. From what I was told there was something like 34-36 TTs shells made at he factory of which Roy Sutherland finished 28 for the 4 for Victory participants. That would leave 6-8 shell aircraft unfinished. I do know of 4 that are in private hands, so that would leave 2-4 still available or in other collections. Again, because the seller is tied to 21st/Algo, I would believe that the TT shell is real also.

I am not giving credance to values or asking prices, for that is based soley on whom ever wants to spend the money. I would like to get one of the desert 109s, but I do believe that this will go for more than I am willing to spend right now.

On a side note it would be very intersting to me to know the status of the other comic con aircraft - Sweet Arlene and I think there was another.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Oh, so now there's 6....

Based on the seller, it's legit I'd almost guarantee. And as far as some of the insignia being a little sloppy, that's correct as the yellow 23 marking for example was hand painted with a brush.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:59 am

One day left and 0 bids. I guess not much interest at that price.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 am

The seller is indeed connected with old 21c management. Both planes are legit. The tan 109 is the last one they own. They had 2 left after selling the others. I got1 and they kept the last. There were a handful of tender terror shell planes that were factory produced and never completed by hand by roy Sutherland which is how the program worked. I know that most of these are now in private collections and this one is one of the last as well. Both planes are rare. Perhaps the rarest of all next the the sweet Arlene mustangs and the 1 of a kind custom that John Lumley owns. The tan 109 and the tender terror shells are just trophy pieces in a collection for those who are into that sort of thing...

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 am

Wow, neither plane exceeded the reserve price. The Mustang barely broke $150 with the 109 only getting one bid at $500! In light of the prices those planes have recently gone for, I'd say those bids were downright paltry.

Maybe the reserve price turned people off to the bidding?

Maybe it is the economy?

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Both Items relisted at 35% discount. Too bad its a reserve and we cant see what the discount is.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Not that surprised with the desert 109, as for such a rare example, there have been a few of them the last couple of years.

Thought TT would have done much better though. A good looking scheme, and only 35? done. If I owned it, I would not let it go either, for such a low price.

What do you guys think a reasonable price for TT would be? $300, $350?

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm

snake wrote:Not that surprised with the desert 109, as for such a rare example, there have been a few of them the last couple of years.

Thought TT would have done much better though. A good looking scheme, and only 35? done. If I owned it, I would not let it go either, for such a low price.

I purchased a TT shell, just like what is selling now, from the same seller on Ebay about one year ago. I think I paid $210.00 + shipping. That is the most I have paid for any in my collection, but I still felt that it was well bought. Even though it is not a completed one, as in the award TTs, I am glad to have been able to add it to my collection.

I don't know if I see this last TT shell going for $300 - $350 though. I think most collectors would rather add something other than one more silver Mustang to their stable. But, maybe someone will prove me wrong.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Buckyroo wrote:
snake wrote:Not that surprised with the desert 109, as for such a rare example, there have been a few of them the last couple of years.

I purchased a TT shell, just like what is selling now, from the same seller on Ebay about one year ago. I think I paid $210.00 + shipping. That is the most I have paid for any in my collection, but I still felt that it was well bought. Even though it is not a completed one, as in the award TTs, I am glad to have been able to add it to my collection.

I don't know if I see this last TT shell going for $300 - $350 though. I think most collectors would rather add something other than one more silver Mustang to their stable. But, maybe someone will prove me wrong.

So it is a "Shell"

Looked to be a regular model to me.

What is the difference between the "shell" and the full, regular model?

Thanks.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 am

snake wrote:

So it is a "Shell"

Looked to be a regular model to me.

What is the difference between the "shell" and the full, regular model?

Thanks.
A shell TT is one without the nose art, full group lettering, and tail ID number. These were produced with the "Old Crow" production run with including some painting modifications. The nose art did not work being painted so a decal was applied and for the low number it was more efficient to apply decals for the id letters and numbers. These extra details were applied to the shells here in the US for the exact number of Four for Victory recipients. The extras were shipped in case there were any that arrived in the US damaged - spares to make sure the contest winners recieved their planes. With the close of 21st Century Toys these spare shells have come out onto the market.

I would consider the fully detailed TT to be more sought after, and the prices typically have reflected this. Ones that I have seen trade hands on Ebay, etc have gone for between $500 and $800. I would not be ready to part with that kind of money for a 1/18 plane, but that is not saying that these are not valuable. These planes are worth more for the owners (for the most part) had participated in the reward program and there were only 28 that did this. That adds a special twist to the rarety of their P-51s. The aspect that keeps the shells values higher than any other reqular production runs is that there are only 6 or 8 in existance. That's only 1/4 the number of fully detailed TTs, but as stated before the added twist on how the fully detailed TTs were aquired makes them what they are (and therefore more valuable, in my eyes) than the TT shells

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Buckyroo. :D

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am

Both auctions again ended without the reserve price being reached. As for the Desert 109, it is a little difficult to reach your reserve price when you have zero bids on your item.

The Mustang was bid up to around $170 with several bids.

It will be interesting to see how many listings it takes to sell the two planes.

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 am

They might want to start by ditching the reserve. :roll:

Jeffrey
(The Anti-Reserve Avenger)
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Items relisted