What do you do with your 1:18?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

What do you do with your 1:18

Sell it
No votes
Play with it
31%
Create dioramas/ comic stories
34%
Collect it and leave it in the box
23%
Customize and sell
11%

Total votes: 35

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

What do you do with your 1:18?

Post by B17Fortress » Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 am

I personally make dioramas, and I have a feeling most people who have 1:18 items are just waiting to sell them instead of enjoying each piece.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: What do you do with your 1:18?

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 am

I collect them . My wife gives me 3 days to play with them.

Then they get banished to the shed.

I usally try to get 2 of each back in the day. One to play with , the other to store.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 am

I customize and sometimes sell, just to buy more. :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun May 29, 2011 9:25 am

I hate polls. There is never the answer I need. My dioramas are outdoors picks, and at the end of the day, I have to pack everything. But to be ready for a few picks, it takes a long time: need to customize less or more, then chose the right place, then waiting for the adequate meteo, the best hour considering the height of the sun to get the best angle of light...
Finally, I collect my 1/18 stuff, and have a real pleasure to change the configuration of my helicopters, load other troops, buy a PH kit, restart with customize and planning new picks... I would say it is playing and dreaming, a lot of old projects are still in my mind . But, untill now, I can't sell what I've modified.

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 am

Granch, I would say you are a 'play with it in a grown-up way'. Does this sound correct?

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun May 29, 2011 10:07 am

1. get em home from walmart or fellow boardmenber
2. open box
3. make room and display with others
4. notice for a couple of days
5. wait for next opportunity to purchase

superficial but productive by sheer numbers

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun May 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Yep! LOL
1. Buy new one.
2. Watch the mailbox until it comes.
3. Open it and put it together and expect everyone else to be as exited as you are.
4. Find a place to display it.
5. enjoy looking at it for a couple days.
6. Repeat.
:lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun May 29, 2011 2:31 pm

I guess displaying them qualifies as playing with them. I mean I don't run around the backyard with a P-40 in my hands making airplane noises and strafing the cat (well at least not when anybody is looking) but I used to chase my animals around with my RC Stuart though. Time to break it out and do it again however...ha!

Half 'n' half here. Some is displayed, but some have not been opened yet because I don't have the room. Not willing to part with any of my XD yet though, so no selling. Looking for the opportunity and time to customize, as I have the artist skills. I just don't know which category I fit in here. :?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun May 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Dioramas/play I guess... And customize. I prefer the more mature phrase of "posing" them though. :) I don't play, I pose them. ;D
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I would say a little of everything
1:buy on ebay
2:open and inspect(same as playing)
3:display it for a couple of years
4:take PICTURES and sell it on ebay to make room for more
the amount of space we have is some times the limit of what we can collect,specially when the wife doesn't want them on the living room :lol:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:25 pm

I wait for Wal-Mart to have them for $25 each again and for another Monkey Depot 21st Century clearance sale. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Mostly kept in original boxes. Planning a big move.My collecting madness has a plan.My new place will have a dedicated model room.

snake

Post by snake » Sun May 29, 2011 6:16 pm

I have displayed about half of my 1/18 models. The other half are still MIB.

1/18 is not my only scale, and I just display a couple of them at a time. After about a month, back in the box, and the next model[s] come out. Rotating them like this keeps it fresh, and you never get bored looking at the same model.

Do pretty much the same with my 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72 models as well, although I have about a dozen of these on display at any one time.

The only "semi permanent" display I have is a very nice buffet/hutch that holds my F1 and Le Mans racing models.

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Sun May 29, 2011 8:13 pm

My collection is all out of the box. I display them all over my man cave and garage and have a bunch in storage that I rotate also. Never to old to play.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun May 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Generally display what I can but many are still MIB. Like many have limited space in the house. Have many boxes of planes stored in my barn. I have them set up so I can see them though and have them covered in sheet plastic. I will take many of them and line them up from time to time and take some pictures. I sometimes fly my F-86 at night to close the gate.
Todd

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun May 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Ditto on Flyboy exactly.......... No line fits what I do with my 1/18 & other scales.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon May 30, 2011 4:22 am

I'm lucky. When we built our dream house seven years ago, I got to design spaces just for me. So I have a really nice office/library/gun-room/mad-scientist-lab/model space. But over the years I've found two issues I didn't anticipate. Even with all that room, I'm already crowded, and my model-building (and my woodworking downstairs) creates a LOT of dust. Naturally, no one else wants to clean in my space for fear of breaking or blowing up something, so it's up to me to fight the dust. Almost all of my planes are hung, so it's not too visible, but even so, I'm going to HAVE to break down and stop everything else I'm doing some day, set up an assembly line operation and vacuum the tops of the planes ...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon May 30, 2011 8:04 am

Dust is a problem for planes, dusty they look like dreb, my few planes are not hung, so they can be dusty along with 99% of my displayed vehicles and figs. Ever see a military vehicle look like it came from the factory/box?? I did..... once.

Dust is natural. Of course, Mrs. TTT would never dust in my office/toy room anyway, for fear of breaking something....... and I'm always too busy with King of the house stuff to dust. 8) Not that Mrs. TTT is afraid of me if she breaks something.... she just knows that if she breaks something, I have free range to go out and buy something new, and usually bigger. :roll:

Space is my problem, having gone from a 3 BD house (3 kids) with full basement, attic and two car garage in SI, to live here in the Pineywoods in a suoer quiet 2 BD house (just us 2) with one car garage and a 1/4 attic and no basement. The 2nd BD is my office/toy room, guests sleep in my den..... if they don't like it, they don't stay long..... :wink:

TTT

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 am

I display only a few items and the rest are boxed. Like most others I don't have the space to display all the items I really want to display.

Keith B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Keith B » Mon May 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Display most of them,my girlfriend is an art teacher and had her paint the sky on my ceiling,not much space left to hang any more planes,have double shelves on every wall full of tanks,vehicles and figures,also collect 1/6 scale,have most of 21st century and some dragon and Hasbro vehicles,under shelves have all my mib planes and helo's,nothing like a trip to the mancave to make you feel better!!!!!!!!!!

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Mon May 30, 2011 8:25 pm

I display all mine. I don't have a huge amount because I am not a "hoarder". I have only one of each significant aircraft, which is all I collect. However, my entire house is my man cave, so I decorate how I want to. My "significant other" has no say in the matter !! :D :D

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 am

I display them then starting to do customize to make it different. I'll like to do dioramas some day, the bad things is there is no way to sell them in my country!
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 am

Where's the "All of the Above" option?

I mostly display my items. There was a time where I could display my collection all at once, but those days are gone... On purpose, I've chosen not to display it all at once and rotate my collection through. This has the effect of keeping things new. The majority of my items are actually in storage. Some are in cupboards or in a closet where they are sort of on display and easily accessible. The bulk of my collection, however, is in my attic. Some planes are assembled and hanging, other items are carefully placed in storage bins and the rest are in their original boxes.

I do "play" with my items, do some customization, have a few small dioramas (though no space to do the fabled "big one" yet), and have sort of a living collection where I've bought and sold some pieces over the years and even re-acquired items I had once sold.
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Tue May 31, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:40 am

Where is the "hide under pillow" option or the "direct importer from Monkey Depot" option?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

armoredyak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armoredyak » Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 pm

hello, for the moment i am new here, sorry to be undressed. but i was so thrilled finding this site, that i couldnt wait to join. i just wish someone locally had the same passion for being a toy collecting nutcase as myself.

mike

aka

armoredyak
when do we get to go to war with the lawyers?