molding new 1:18 scale guns

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
cuatroboca
Corporal
Corporal

molding new 1:18 scale guns

Post by cuatroboca » Fri May 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi everyone does anyone know how to mold 1:18 scale guns and were to buy everything
and lastly the mold how do you make it thanks :D
Last edited by cuatroboca on Sat May 21, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cuatroboca
Corporal
Corporal

Re: molding new 1:18 scale guns

Post by cuatroboca » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Please people i need help

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sat May 21, 2011 2:22 pm

This is not my area of expertise, but it involves a lot of planning, prototypes, time, and money.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by B17Fortress on Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Sat May 21, 2011 2:51 pm

The short answer...

You buy RTV Silicone, make a mold box, mix/pour the silicone around the item inside the mold box, let it set up. Then buy liquid resin, mix/pour it into the mold, pull item from mold... Voila, casted part.

Casting is unfortunately not something everyone can do well, it's not particularly cost-effective, and it can be messy/a pain in the rear, plus resin is toxic to boot. You can buy materials from a number of suppliers... I get some from a local distributor that deals in prototyping and I get some from online companies. I haven't done any in a long time. You can go from just making simple stuff to really complex stuff (IE: Pickelhaube & Grunt1)... I've done stuff just about as complex as they have, but it takes a while to get a good hand at doing casting on that level. It took a lot of simple head/part casting before I got into anything complex.

And it costs... Resin is not cheap.

And if you want to do it really professionally, you'll have to learn the advanced stuff. Lots of trial and error involved IMO.

Not to mention, if you're making your own stuff like Pickel and Grunt, you've got a lot of time/energy invested in the actual work-up of the original piece to cast... They're doing ground-up add-ons or full kits... that's really big undertaking. While I wish I could afford stuff like that 222, or some of the Sherman add-ons, I totally understand why they cost what they do. That's a lot of work for one guy to do, and it's always hyper detailed and super impressive when the final kit is released.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

cuatroboca
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cuatroboca » Sat May 21, 2011 3:28 pm

thanks guys and sorry i mispell alot of words

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 21, 2011 4:10 pm

My skills if I have any are constantly evolving . How I am making my moulds now are so much more advanced than when I started.

And sometimes they still do not come out. I learned by trail and error. I should emphasize error.

Most resin and RTV comes with directions some work some don't. The best way is to get some ( they sell sample kits ) and play with it.

I can write volumes on how to work with resin but unless you have the resin in your hands and actually following me step by step you would have idea what I am talking about.

You can not learn to work with it in a day , but give it a full week or so and you will get the hang of it.

I have been working with RTV and resin for about 4 years now and I am still learning more complex pours .

4 years !!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller