Wishing for an SBD

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Wishing for an SBD

Post by JimBob55 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:15 pm

Just throwing in a wish the keep the idea warm...

With the Zero coming out (by two companies)... I'm wishing for a SBD Dauntless. Would be an easy aircraft to produce in 1:18 scale. No folding wings, small size (would fit easily in the critical size box) plus a great history. Would love to see one rendered either in Coral Sea or Midway paint scheme (actually quite a difference even though about a month apart in time). For Midway, replicate the SBD-3 aircraft of Leslie, Best, Bottomley or McClusky, etc. Lots of good photos and historical references. A great book is "A Great Page in our History" by Cressman and Ewing on the Battle of Midway.

http://www.angelfire.com/fm/compass/SBD.htm

Who'll give this historic aircraft a shot?? BBI or 21st!!

JimBob :D

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:24 pm

This was something that Mike from bbi had mentioned earlier. Why was nobody clamoring for a Dauntless? But, I would supposed there hasn't been much call for it because of the Avenger. Heck, I would take one certainly. Plus, I believe the AAF had a version of it, the A-24 if memory serves me right. I think it would be a great plane and I love those Swiss-cheese dive flaps.
Aaron

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:32 pm

Your correct the Army and the Free French used the A-24 (Dauntless). The only obvious difference between the Army and Navy versions I believe was the removal of the tail hook.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:36 pm

What a beautifful plane a 1/18 SBD Dauntless would be!

I would take one "almost right" example of a SBD over EIGHT perfect Avengers any day.

COME ON BBI !..........SHOW 21st THAT YOU CAN PULL OFF A STUKA SIZE BEAST TOO ! ! !

8)

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Nobody asked me...

Post by nfafan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:56 pm

But IMHO, and despite what us aircraft lovers would like, maybe the companies just don't find it "sexy" enough to sell.

Doesn't have the wow-factor of a P51, Spit, ME109, FW190, shark-mouth P40, snake-marked Stuka, F16, et al.

While I'd love one and can certainly see the 21C "playability" factor they love in their products that the SBD design allows, I just don't see one coming anytime soon.

IIRC, didn't the SBD account for more enemy shipping tonnage than any other weapon in WWII?

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Sentinel wrote:What a beautifful plane a 1/18 SBD Dauntless would be!

I would take one "almost right" example of a SBD over EIGHT perfect Avengers any day.

COME ON BBI !..........SHOW 21st THAT YOU CAN PULL OFF A STUKA SIZE BEAST TOO ! ! !

8)
Fortunately the Dauntless isn't that big or that complicated. Correct me somebody if I'm wrong but I think the Dauntless was only about two or three feet wider and longer then a Wildcat.
So I don't think it would be very difficult to do.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

OnWu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by OnWu » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:47 pm

Like the Hurricane, the Dauntless has great historical significance but not much sex-appeal. The fact that it was pulled and replaced by an inferior aircraft (Helldiver) probably doesn't help.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:54 pm

right now BBI and 21c have to cater to toy buyers as much as us collectors and their choices of subject matter to produce are governed accordingly. As the hobby develops and more and more knowledgeable collectors come on board they will be able to shift the subject matter to less sexy but more historically desirable subjects.

I hope.

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dauntless

Post by JimBob55 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Good comments all around. I agree that the Dauntless isn't really 'sexy'. It really isn't much different than say, a AT-6 Texan trainer.

I checked with my handy-dandy copy of Squadron's "SBD Dauntless in Action" and it states that the Dauntless sunk more enemy shipping in 1942 than any other aircraft combined.

Also, after it delivered its bomb payload and was about halfway through its gasoline, the Dauntless did sometimes mix it up with Zeros and come out on the winning end. From what I read, it was not only deadly in its dive delivery, but a sweet and nimble aircraft to fly. All these interesting details though won't make it really marketable to the mainstream buyers, I agree. I imagine that 21C and BBI do market research on purchase histories of 1:32 and 1:48 model kits and make their determinations from their findings. Once they work their way through the proven aircraft, they may get into the less marketable products.

I believe that Aferg may have a point that the manufacturers may someday produce a Dauntless. I'm hoping, too!

I may throw in the Dauntless about every six months or so (maybe even a food strike :wink: !) to keep the consideration alive. I think we all have our favorites and it is kinda fun to kick around ideas and proposals from time to time.

Regards,
JimBob
(p.s.: my first try to insert a photo follows...bear with me)

Image[/url]

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

photo

Post by JimBob55 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Sorry, photo didn't seem to work.:(

Here's the link to the same photo at a neat website...

http://www.kotfsc.com/aviation/sbd-4.htm

JimBob

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JimBob55 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Wow, it did work. I guess I just needed to be patient! :roll:

JimBob

PS: thanks for the input on the Dauntless idea. Looking forward to the Zero (ordered one!) and the Avenger (will order all versions!)

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:22 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:
Sentinel wrote:What a beautifful plane a 1/18 SBD Dauntless would be!

8)
Fortunately the Dauntless isn't that big or that complicated. Correct me somebody if I'm wrong but I think the Dauntless was only about two or three feet wider and longer then a Wildcat.
So I don't think it would be very difficult to do.
I googled these specs, and they're in meters;

Ju-87 Stuka
Wing 13.66
Length 11.0

SDB Dauntless
Wing 12.66
Length 10.09

Flying blind, that's close enough for a good-loookin' 1/18 scale enthusiast with two dogs and a SUV.

But thanks . . .

:wink: