review---"Black Knights" F-14

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

review---"Black Knights" F-14

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 pm

My JSI F-14 "Black Knights" arrived today, so here is my initial review.

When I opened the box, I saw a mysterious spring about 1-1/2 inches sitting on top of the fuselage. Unfortunately, this was a harbinger of things to come. Then I saw a separated tire under the fuselage and an unidentified broken piece with a screw.

The F-14 includes an instruction sheet showing how to open the landing gear doors and deploy the landing gear struts. Some of the doors were very difficult to open. After finally getting the doors open, one of the struts has a missing metal pin which locks the tire to the strut which explains the separated tire---the missing pin was not in the box.

Both bomb pallets have a middle tab which are supposed to lock into fuselage slots, but they don't. Consequently, both bomb pallets have a gap in the middle where they bulge out.

The right rudder will not fit all the way into the fuselage, so it too, sticks out.

There is no instruction sheet explaining how the afterburner, etc. lights work.

I still don't know what the broken part with the screw is or what the spring is for.

I'm going to email Merit (since it was shipped directly to me from Merit) to see if I can get answers to these problems afflicting my F-14.

Overall, for $300, I am disappointed in the mediocre workmanship on this F-14.

As for the weathering, it is OK---it has less weathering than the BBI F/A-18 Hornet with the weathering confined to seams and the sliding-wing area.

This is the broken part (about double the actual size).

UPDATE:

The latest on my Black Knights F-14......

All the problems have been resolved on my F-14 with the help from Merit International.
To replace the broken landing gear door part and the missing landing strut pin, I was sent a replacement fuselage. To replace the ill-fitting right rudder and pallets, I was sent a replacement rudder and pallets. I also received an instruction sheet on how the F-14's lighting works.

Thanks very much to Merit for their assistance in resolving the problems and for standing behind their product.
Last edited by dragon53 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: review--"Black Knights" F-14

Post by JOC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 pm

dragon:
Sorry to hear of the problems you encountered with your new F-14. I would suggest when you call Merit ask to speak with Tony. He seems to be the one who is on top of this stuff and a modeler himself. He may be the contact you need to talk to maybe iron on out some of your problems. He has been a great help to me on numerous occasions.
Good Luck
JOC

8416w
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 8416w » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 pm

The problems you have reported are discouraging to read. Hopefully other BK's will be OK! "Vicky 101" started out as a Black Knights (comic con special) and was perfect out of the box. Let us know how Merit responds.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 pm

JOC:

I'm really disappointed in the new F-14 because JSI had a lot of time to work out the bugs from the first F-14. I was expecting a lot more from the new F-14---but got a lot less.

Does Tony have an email address so I can contact him directly?

CW4USARMY

Re: review---"Black Knights" F-14

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Wow, sorry to hear you had problems with it dragon53. They definitely should have gotten it right this time.
Lets hope they do the right thing and correct it for you.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Dragon:
I have a card from Tony here that he sent me with some parts earlier.
Voice: 626-912-2212
email: [email protected]

Hope this helps.
JOC

snake

Post by snake » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

That is more than disappointing, Dragon. :roll:

Hopefully this is just one bad example. If this is a common problem with the latest Black Knights version, JSI will have dropped the ball on this F-14 YET AGAIN!.

Considering this costs $300, and is the third attempt, I would be angry getting this model with these problems. :twisted:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm

JOC:

Thanks for the email address. I'll contact Tony tomorrow.

I'm still smarting over my "Spotcat"---but this defective F-14 is rubbing $300 worth of salt into the wound.

I sure hope my defective F-14 isn't representative of the other 887 models---otherwise, there is going to be second wave of angry JSI F-14 owners.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 am

Questions about the "Black Knights" F-14:

1. Is it supposed to come with an instruction sheet for the lighting system?
2. Is it supposed to come with a certificate stating which number my F-14 is among the 888 limited editions?

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 am

If its anything like the convention version, there is a battery compartment beneath the forward section with an external on/off switch. Both the front and aft section attach with a connector already installed. All the lights should work at the same time, no provision to use them seperately as far as I know.
I have not heard anything about numbering the planes individualy.
JOC

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:53 am

Greetings:

Does it really surprise anyone that this happened again?

The JSI/Merit lies about the F-14 being fixed and improved are rather old. My original Jolly Rogers sits in one spot, gear supported at all times, because I am afraid to touch it.

As someone else said, for over $250, this thing should be perfect. No questions asked. The JSI F-14 is their first designed plane...the others were 21st molds they just reproduced. I'm getting the feeling that JSI can't produce their own 1/18 plane unless it has massive problems.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm not surprised by this either. I would have hoped JSI/Merit would have gotten their act together, but aparently not. Seems the F-14 is just too large and complex of a project and JSI standards not up to par to warrant proper QC control. Really its too bad as the F-14, all other issues aside, is simply a fantastic model and really one of the "greats" in the 1:18 world.

I got my one S1 "Jolly Rogers" F-14 and feel no need for another. I got it from a local retailer for the cheaper end of the F-14 price-scale, but which still made it the most expensive plane in my collection. Mine turned out to be in overall good condition (only a loose airbrake pushrod). Despite the spots, it repainted nicely. My plane sat on its gear for several months without incident until I finally hung it and it remains airborn to this day, looking big, impressive, and out of the way where I don't have to touch it. I have no idea of what else I'll ever do with the F-14 or why the heck I'd need another :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:33 pm

I’m bummed that Dragon had problems with his new bird but one review with issues hardly makes a new spot cat out of it. It could just be a bad plane. We all know that 21C had their fair share of problems and they never built a plane like this. Let’s hold off with the JSI FAIL until a few more reviews come back. I do agree though that for $300 this dang thing should be perfect. I’ll pipe in as well when mine gets here.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:05 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I'm not surprised by this either. I would have hoped JSI/Merit would have gotten their act together, but aparently not. Seems the F-14 is just too large and complex of a project and JSI standards not up to par to warrant proper QC control. Really its too bad as the F-14, all other issues aside, is simply a fantastic model and really one of the "greats" in the 1:18 world.

I got my one S1 "Jolly Rogers" F-14 and feel no need for another. I got it from a local retailer for the cheaper end of the F-14 price-scale, but which still made it the most expensive plane in my collection. Mine turned out to be in overall good condition (only a loose airbrake pushrod). Despite the spots, it repainted nicely. My plane sat on its gear for several months without incident until I finally hung it and it remains airborn to this day, looking big, impressive, and out of the way where I don't have to touch it. I have no idea of what else I'll ever do with the F-14 or why the heck I'd need another :wink:
What did you hang it with. I bought some 50lb test line but scared to death it will fall 10 feet down and shatter.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:What did you hang it with. I bought some 50lb test line but scared to death it will fall 10 feet down and shatter.
Mine's hanging very safely high above the staircase that leads to my ManCave. I put a hanger bolt into the ceiling, and created a bridle out of double-stranded steel wire, which then is strung to the hanger bolt with another run of double stranded steel wire. Looks good and is very stout.

I get lots of "oohs" and "aahs" from folks coming up to my "office" as they look up the staircase and see the underside of my Tomcat way up there.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Got mine today. I have not fully assembled it but I have carefully inspected all typical troublesome areas and i have put it on its gear. Here is my review of my plane. The paint is good. Way better than both vf-84 planes and equal to my comicon BK. Personally I'd say JSI has satisfied me in this area. (remember these are not a custom). The weapons are FAR superior and frankly exceed my expectations. Working front control fins, rear fins deploy, improved detail on Pod with 2 way rotation points for the laser lens. Removable pitot tubes and antennas, radar dish assembly = good ideas no broken parts. The top airbrake now stays open. Brilliant! The plane feels better built and tighter fit / finish. The gear are slightly improved and feel more sturdy. That said I can tell you they are still sketchy. I would never feel like the plane could be dragged around on it's gear. It's still a set it down and don't move it deal. I can honestly say that it feels like JSI is trying and on many levels are succeeding based on this example. It's still a big plane- heavy- complex- lots of parts. But it is getting sorted out I feel. Of the 60+ tomcats I have now personally handled I can tell you this is easily the very best example with no issues. The weapons alone really help to sell this plane. They are very cool!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm

gburch wrote:
CW4USARMY wrote:What did you hang it with. I bought some 50lb test line but scared to death it will fall 10 feet down and shatter.
Mine's hanging very safely high above the staircase that leads to my ManCave. I put a hanger bolt into the ceiling, and created a bridle out of double-stranded steel wire, which then is strung to the hanger bolt with another run of double stranded steel wire. Looks good and is very stout.

I get lots of "oohs" and "aahs" from folks coming up to my "office" as they look up the staircase and see the underside of my Tomcat way up there.
Thanks. I was thinking of using wire but thought it might be too visible, but strength is more important so I should probably do like you describe and go with wire. Appreciate the post.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:41 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:Thanks. I was thinking of using wire but thought it might be too visible, but strength is more important so I should probably do like you describe and go with wire. Appreciate the post.
I just counted -- I have 29 1/18 birds hanging in my library and office. Every one is on wire. Doesn't seem too visible to me nd gives me peace of mind.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I haven't received an email reply from Merit yet, so I have the following questions:

1. Whst is the broken part with the screw for?...(see drawing in my original post)
2. What is the 1-1/2 inch spring for?
3. Does your right rudder attach properly to the fuselage?
4. Do the two bomb pallets fit perfectly into the fuselage?

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Dragon53

Apologize for your bad experience on the VF-154.
Tony has received your email send out at 10:00a.m. today.
An reply was made to you at 1:30p.m. Please check your email and we will see what we need to do next.

Quick answers to your 4 questions:
1.If the doors of the landing wheel well function properly, the piece is a scrap piece not related to your
VF-154.
2. If the suspension / spring function properly on the landing gears, the spring is also a scrap piece not
related to your VF-154
3. The right rudder should fit properly unless we put 2 left rudders in error in with your set.
4. Bomb pallets should also fit properly; just have to make sure positive contact of the tab in the middle
with the fuselage.

We did over look the needs to include of an instruction sheet for the lighting system. We will post on
Merit web site.

Pls send Tony a reply

Best Regards

Jim

JoeS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JoeS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Jim@Merit wrote:Hi Dragon53

Apologize for your bad experience on the VF-154.
Tony has received your email send out at 10:00a.m. today.
An reply was made to you at 1:30p.m. Please check your email and we will see what we need to do next.

Quick answers to your 4 questions:
1.If the doors of the landing wheel well function properly, the piece is a scrap piece not related to your
VF-154.
2. If the suspension / spring function properly on the landing gears, the spring is also a scrap piece not
related to your VF-154
3. The right rudder should fit properly unless we put 2 left rudders in error in with your set.
4. Bomb pallets should also fit properly; just have to make sure positive contact of the tab in the middle
with the fuselage.

We did over look the needs to include of an instruction sheet for the lighting system. We will post on
Merit web site.

Pls send Tony a reply

Best Regards

Jim

Give these guys a chance, they're trying. I've seen the HpH F-14 up close and although amazing, the JSI example is pretty close and a steal by comparison. I for one am looking forward to my BK F-14 thanks to MTS..

best.

JoeS

8416w
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 8416w » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Thank you Merit for excellent customer service and making good on your promise to provide a updated ordinance package for the comic com birds.

Jim@Merit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim@Merit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 pm

8416w wrote:Thank you Merit for excellent customer service and making good on your promise to provide a updated ordinance package for the comic com birds.
Thank you for the pat on the back. It makes it all worth it.
We did open all 300 VF-154 received and did second QC before we send them out to our customers.
In due course, we did find some scrap plastic tabs inside the box, put additional foam protection and replaced a few moveable fins on the GBU bombs and try to make best experience for the VF-154 collectors who gave us the second chance.
As it is the total circulation is only 878 pcs because 10 pcs were ruined by UPS while in transit

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:40 pm

that sucks dragon guy! i got mine today and i have to say i am very pleased with it. it is defiantly a step in the right direction for jsi!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Greetings:

No offense, but it is very hard to give this company a second chance after the stunt they pulled with the Jolly Rogers release. The idea of making a very expensive product, with a very apparent quality control issue and then shoving it down people's throats by saying "No returns...you have to deal with it" is just ridculous. Someone should have done something to make that right.

This new release may be better, it may be awesome. But how many folks will never buy one or trust one again because of the crap that went down the first time?

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy