Interview questions for 21st

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:21 pm

I have been given a green light to conduct another interview with Roy Sutherland at 21st. I am in the process of putting some questions together for the Master Modeler! I have a good list going but I was hoping some of you might like to put your 2 cents in... you know the drill "Groundpounder joe in ALASKA would like to know....."

So put together your one question and fire them off to me in this thread. Obviously I can't use them all and some might not fit the interview style, but feel ask one and I will see how to work them in. This is your chance to ask the Master.

I hope to have this interview late this week so lets hear what you would like to know.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:26 pm

With 1/18 planes selling pretty well, is a 1/18 XD F-14 possible at all?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:29 pm

You know mine......how about that A-10?

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:37 pm

Is there any way some of 21c's great ground armor and artillery (88mm) which have been brought out in 1/32 could be scaled up to 1/18 or 1/6 :?:

Us ground fanatic's would like to see some more ground vehicles, in any scale larger than 1/32.

If 21c put out a 1/6 US half-track or Panzer, I would think I had gone to heaven. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:44 pm

Will we see more general releases of toys at Walmart like what is currently going on, and will we see more modern vehicles/figures and Vietnam vehicles/figures making their way to Walmart shelves?

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:44 pm

What will be the release dates and paint schemes for their upcoming new tool Mustangs and Avenger? AND will 21st consider doing a Hellcat for a 1/18th release?

:?:
Last edited by MightyMustang on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:45 pm

The junkie in me wants to know more about what's comming and when. But, the realost in me knows that I will never get a firm date from either company. I would certainly ask about the scaling up of 32x armor and arty pieces to XD. As well, what's new? We have seen prototypes of the XD Me262 and Zero, and have heard rumor of a Mig 15 and F-86, but are there any other irons in the fire? And, are sales going well enough with the vehicles at Wally World will we see new ground vehicles> Of course, you can gice them a pat on the back for getting the new figures out.
Aaron

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:48 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Is there any way some of 21c's great ground armor and artillery (88mm) which have been brought out in 1/32 could be scaled up to 1/18 or 1/6 :?:
I'd also like to know if they have any plans to do this. Surely they have a pantograph?

And are there any more playsets in the works, or will any of the unproduced ones like the Government Building or Vietnam hut ever get made?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Since this isn't posted in the 1/32 forum, I don't know if you want (or need) questions from us "smaller scale" guys, but here is mine:

Will the new 32x planes being released follow along the same lines as the 1/18 scale, meaning, can we expect to see a Stuka, Bf-109G, Razorback Thunderbolt, Etc???
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 pm

I think I know what the answer is for the question "Is this going to be released or that?" I would like to know is 21st going to make more modern 1:18 aircraft and more pacific theater aircraft. I know the story of Box size but as time goes by can box size remain that critical a factor?

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by donnieboy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:06 pm

Would 21st Century consider doing a Focke-Wulf 190A in 1:18 and 1:32, and/or a Ta-152H? In either case, it would only involve tweaking the FW-190D tooling pattern a bit. Okay, so I'm understating things! Do 'em anyway dammit! :P
Go Starbuck!

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Please ask Roy-

-Waiting for the "Platoon" figures to appear - When??

-There were awesome Vietnam playsets (VN Hut, Bridge, Tower w/ sandbags) introduced at a convention a few years back. Could we see these appear with the "Platoon" line of figures???

-We have jeeps for Vietnam. Anyway to get a 1/18 Mule?

-If Roy could be any kind of tree, what kind of tree would he be??
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:47 pm

all great some of those were on my list as well. I will watch this post the next few days as I round out the questions to ask 21st. Keep em rolling.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:30 pm

Maybe you could get Roy to check with 21st Sales Reps to see why some WalMarts, as shown on this board, get all the releases and some, like in my area, get Zilch? So much for the BS about getting their distribution on line. A fact, over a month ago, I approached an asst manager at the Bellingham, WA store and asked why they still had the old aircraft, still in Motorworks boxes, on the shelves for full price? One was even broken. He scrawled on the dusty box, "Dust Me," and said he would talk to the buyers. BS.... I went into the store today, and that damn airplane is still there on the pile, with the words "Dust Me" still on the box. This sure makes Wal Mart and 21st look good in the eyes of the buying public.
Sorry guys, just had to blurt this out. It has been bugging me for awhile.
:(

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:16 am

That is a good question. I have learned more about Wal Mart Distribution in the last few months. The number one thing to know. They do what they want, when they want. To make it even more interesting, the individual stores control when, why and if ever to clearance or move product off the shelves. The same system applies to the purchasing of product. Then the same logic applies for when to stock the shelves.

So in short it is all of the elements combined that prevent a system wide street date or lauch from ever happening.

One exception to that rule is when a company like Hasbro has a product line that preceeds a large motion picture. For example Star Wars. With a large film like that and a fan base that exceeds ours by say 50 times. Wal Mart will organize a lauch with all of stores for a specific date. But to make that work a "street date" is stamped on the box and it is illegal for any company to open and sell prior to that date. It isn't uncommon for a store to sit on the product for weeks so that every one gets the shippment and has shelf space already planned to stock it by the release date. This only happens with the larger lines just prior to a film release, and it is the only way to guarantee everyone will have it at the same time. However I should note that Hasbro and Lucasfilms dictates to the stores when the lauch will happen and it is a global thing.

Perhaps someday 21st and its fan base will be large enough to mandate street dates for the lauch of new product. Untill then I am afraid it is the old waiting game my friends. My Wal-Marts just stocked the Battle of the Bulge figs for the first time.

One thing you could try is a store transfer of product from one location to another.... the only trick there is locating the product at another store over the phone.

Good luck and don't give up!

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:17 am

I THINK 21ST WOULD CONSIDER A REQUEST TO UPSIZE SOME MORE OF THEIR 1/32 ARMOR TO 1/18 A REASONABLE & LOGICAL WAY TO PROCEED FOR THE COMPANY & AT THE SAME TIME SATISFY ITS LOYAL FANS.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:33 am

Here's mine, though the first two are the ones I'm most anxious for answers on since they are so tight-lipped about future figure projects, and as far as I'm concerned the deal with Wal-Mart just sucks since I'm seeing absolutely nothing new.

1) While the Marines and Japanese (and Battle of the Bulge figures as well) are nice, I still can't find them at retail at all, and I look routinely while searching for other toy lines I collect. Are you working to find new retail partnerships or are you just going to be dealing with Wal-Mart who seem to mishandle the line?

2) What's the chances of seeing 1st series U.S. and German infantry figures with new articulation and removable helmets? There were the army builder sets talked about, but nothing has come of those. (And in general, I think figures should be something kept out constantly in one form another while the vehicles should be a supporting aspect to the action figure line)

3) Will we see 1:18 artillery ever? 88's and Howitzer's would seemingly be popular items.

4) How likely is it that we may see a German Motorcycle or U.S. cycle? I know a BMW w/sidecar would be pretty nice.

5) If 1st Series Infantry were redone and put out again, would a Higgins Boat be a possibility to run alongside them?
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:39 am

Alot of requests for artillery....anyone at 21c listening?

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:14 am

Jesse James wrote:Here's mine, though the first two are the ones I'm most anxious for answers on since they are so tight-lipped about future figure projects, and as far as I'm concerned the deal with Wal-Mart just sucks since I'm seeing absolutely nothing new.

1) While the Marines and Japanese (and Battle of the Bulge figures as well) are nice, I still can't find them at retail at all, and I look routinely while searching for other toy lines I collect. Are you working to find new retail partnerships or are you just going to be dealing with Wal-Mart who seem to mishandle the line?

2) What's the chances of seeing 1st series U.S. and German infantry figures with new articulation and removable helmets? There were the army builder sets talked about, but nothing has come of those. (And in general, I think figures should be something kept out constantly in one form another while the vehicles should be a supporting aspect to the action figure line)

3) Will we see 1:18 artillery ever? 88's and Howitzer's would seemingly be popular items.

4) How likely is it that we may see a German Motorcycle or U.S. cycle? I know a BMW w/sidecar would be pretty nice.

5) If 1st Series Infantry were redone and put out again, would a Higgins Boat be a possibility to run alongside them?
WOW! THANK YOU, Jesse!!! EXACTLY what I wanted to say!!
So I'm quoting you here!!! And if I could, I'd repost this over and over and over and over!!!!!! AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:40 am

A question for Mr Sutherland:
Is 21st going to cover the "Century Series" of jet aircraft? They started with the WW2 pieces, now have moved on to the Starfighter, which happens to be in that era, so is 21st looking to jump into the Korean War era and then 'Nam and so on?

digger

lol

Post by digger » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:12 am

:lol: Some of these make me laugh...the man works on models - design - not in distribution.....oh, and I'm sure he's going to gladly provide us with a list of all release dates and paint schemes for the new planes, especially since if the dates aren't met we'll cut them some slack, right? :wink:

I'm over the WM thing - a set of ALL 7 MARINES IS $40 online. ALL 7! Good luck finding all 7 when you walk into any WM, regardless of their stock. If you don't have USMC figures by now then you're not really into the figures....

What I am interested in has been mentioned - Artillery, upsizing the 32x, and if Roy could be a tree.... :P

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 am

I would like to know if they plan to ever produce super scale aircraft like bombers. I would love to have a bomber for my dioramas. I would even love having one in 1:32. Any possibility of these in the future?

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:34 am

yes, i too would like to know if some of the 32x armor and artillery are to be upscaled to 18x. given how cool the items looked in 32x, the same in 18x would be outstanding.

ajeschke
Private First Class
Private First Class

Question for Roy

Post by ajeschke » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:36 am

We've seen WWII and Modern aircraft. What's the chance of some WWI 1:18 aircraft? I'd love to get my hands on a Fokker DR.1 and a Sopwith Camel.