My Christmas gift

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

My Christmas gift

Post by rschaap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Today I received the best gift ever. My wife of 23 years gave me a Christmas gift I could not believe. I got to ride in a P-51D mustang out of Chino Airport, altered to take a passenger. To me this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It definitely gives me a different perspective toward the hobby and the plane. The pilot (Tom Nightngale) invited me to sit in the cockpit after the flight and explained the history of the plane itself, along with an in depth explanation of the cockpit and the instruments. I filmed the whole flight from wheels up to landing and will probably re-live the experience 100 times this year alone. I owe my wife big time and cannot even began to think of how to repay her. I guess I can cross this one off my bucket list. Here is to my wife and all the one's out there like her, you are our better halves.
:p51:
Last edited by rschaap on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: THE BEST GIFT EVER.

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:00 pm

rschaap wrote:Today I received the best gift ever. My wife of 23 years gave me a Christmas gift I could not believe. I got to ride in a P-51D mustang out of Chino Airport, altered to take a passenger. To me this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It definitely gives me a different perspective toward the hobby and the plane. The pilot (Tom Nightngale) invited me to sit in the cockpit after the flight and explained the history of the plane itself, along with an in depth explanation of the cockpit and the instruments. I filmed the whole flight from wheels up to landing and will probably re-live the experience 100 times this year alone. I owe my wife big time and cannot even began to think of how to repay her. I guess I can cross this one off my bucket list. Here is to my wife and all the one's out there like her, you are our better halves.
:p51:

Sweet !!!

You lucky dog !!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:15 pm

That sounds completely AWESOME!!!!!
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Ya done goooood. Well done, sez I !!!! Now ya gotta do something special for her.....

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 am

Awesome!! How'd you top that??
"Leave the Artillerymen alone...they are an obstinate lot" -Napoleon

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 pm

That is a fantastic gift. 8)

You are a lucky guy.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm

To answer a couple of questions, the flight was for 25-30 minutes from wheels up to landing. We did some knife edge turns and two barrel roles. He did a mock strafing run and some "S" turns. He flew below the mountains in some areas and very close to a lake. It was a ride I will never forget. What I would give to fly a real mission in one of those birds. I can see why they called it the Cadillac of planes during WWII. Thanks again to my lovely wife.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Welcome to the club. It's something you'll never forget. I was 21ish. Worked with a guy that married this lady and her brother rebuilds WWII aircraft out of Danville, IL. $80 for gas and 1 hour. The best money I ever spent. We buzzed my house and my wife said it sounded like a freight train in the back yard. Your very lucky!

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 am

The P-51D I flew in had seen duty in WWII before returning to the states where it served in the National Guard. This plane was the first plane purchased by the owner/operator of the "Planes of Fame" museum in Chino, CA. The plane was bought in flying condition, surplus from the military in 1952 , for $800.00. My understanding is that in 1952 when you bought one of these planes they collected your money, filled the plane with fuel and pointed you toward the runway. Due to pilot error (lack of experience or none at all) some of them never made it off the ground. Once again, I feel very fortunate to have flown in a huge part of our military and aviation history.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: My Christmas gift

Post by rschaap » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am

Every once in a while my wife will surprise me with a gift that would take my breath away. A few years back she gave me 16 laps on the Fontana 1 1/2 mile racetrack. I was able to race around the track at 150 mph in a actual NASCAR vehicle. Just when I thought she would not be able to top that, she gets me a ride in a P-51D. I have no idea what I did to deserve her or the things she gives me.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 am

It is a nice fable:

"My understanding is that in 1952 when you bought one of these planes they collected your money, filled the plane with fuel and pointed you toward the runway. Due to pilot error (lack of experience or none at all) some of them never made it off the ground"

Even in the 50's, the surplus outlets were very aware of potential liability for giving a flyable plane to someone with "lack of experience or none at all".

When you buy something surplus, you get whatever fuel is in the tank. They never fill any surplus item with fuel. They will never sell you fuel either, for the same reason, liability, it is the buyers responsibly to have a fuel truck fill a tank and have mechanics available to go over whatever you buy. The same government will not sell a complete parachute, a lifeboat of any size or any intact M151 (Mutt) Jeep. They will sell you a brand new M151 for $50 but after you buy it, before you leave with the base, they cut the Jeep frame in four pieces and run the pieces with a D7 Bulldozer. Your $50 buys you parts like seats, windshields, engines with it being your responsibility to strip the $50 Jeep. Why? The same reason for all...... potential liability.

I speak from experience with buying surplus vehicles and my buddy bought surplus aircraft for parts.

Your story sounds like the fable of a "brand new Jeep in a crate for $50"...... a nice story but a fable nevertheless. Even in the 50's buying a flyable P-51 for $800 was a dream, most likely it needed a lot of work before it was good.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

You can get a hold of Tom Nightingale through his webpage via "The Planes of Fame" in Chino. He was my pilot and has been part of the museum for over 25 years. The story came from him and I only relayed it. He seemed credible to me. I will do some research though. Thanks for the information.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:23 pm

I am not saying that the pilot outright lied to you about the facts but with only 25 years involvement with the museum, his story could have been "as told to me by.." type of story by people who were actually involved with the acquisition of the plane years before.

All I am saying is, that no government surplus outlet, was ever going to "take your money, fill the tank, and point you to a runway". That is most likely a fable. Like I said, a nice fable, but just a fable.

The Planes of Fame Museum is a well known museum with an outstanding collection of rare warbirds but you pilot may have been offering salesmanship to you to make your flight even more memorable.

Please let us know if your research finds something different. After all, I was wrong once, but that was long ago in a land far away. 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.