Favorite Scales/Collections...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
f56tbird
Corporal
Corporal

Favorite Scales/Collections...

Post by f56tbird » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Gentlemen..,
Not sure if this question has come up in the past but what is our members preferred scale in collecting. Also where are your collections displayed and lastly,.. pictures of any collection would be excellent. I have many aircraft in my personal collection and would love to get some feed back on displaying them.

Movie triva question for this posting..
What film is this quote from.....
"That village you are pointing to willard is kind of hairy"....
There was a demon that lived in the air. They said that whoever challanged him would die. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it..., the sound barrier..

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Favorite Scales/Collections...

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:18 pm

My collection mostly 1/6 and 1/18 scale and is displayed in a bedroom that has been converted to a man cave/toy room/office. One overflow item is a F-86 which is on my TV cabinet in the LR. Doubles and most MIB items are stored in my garage.

New collection pics will be posted here soon.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:13 pm

1/32, exclusively German WWII armor but WWII aircraft from all nations (Well, USA/UK/Germany/Russia/Japan/Italy)

Because they were priced right, in 1/18 I have a Panther, Tiger, nightfighter ME-262, Avenger, F-86 and Mig-15.

All are in my man cave downstairs, which is also my PC repair shop and media library.

And the movie is of course, "Apocalypse Now".

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Favourite scale would be 1/32 {1/35} for armour and aircraft.

Gives a good amount of detail, and doesn't take up a lot of room like 1/18. But a good quality 1/18 has a big "Wow" factor. However the amount of aircraft available in 1/32 is a little limited, and there is only one jet available. BBI F-4.

1/48 is good as well, and HM is expanding this scale.

1/72 has by far the greatest selection. Lots of aircraft available, from all sorts of time periods. But the single engined prop fighters are too small for my likes, and I don't have any of these. However the twin engine, and four engined bombers are a good size, and have good detail. Corgi is the major manufacturer of these. The jets are also big enough, and the only scale that you can get a lot of these in.

My favourite "collection" would be my 1/18 F-16's, and F-18's. I have all of them. 8)

Runner up would be GMP 1/35. Have all of these as well. Although they only did the P-51[8 of them], and the P-40[ four].

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Though I have almost everything WWII 21st C made in 1:18, and most all of the 1:6 WWII vehicles too, nearly all of that is in the garage due to the space available.

It's the 1:32 that I'm enjoying at the moment because you can display a lot more of it.
Whether it'd be armor or planes on a shelf or you can get a heck of a lot more planes hanging up that look like they are in some kind of a dogfight with enough realistic distance between them.

I can't wait to get a few bombers up there as soon as the models I want are released and I can build a couple of em. Since nothing from manufacturers in 1:18 is likely to come out anytime soon, at least 1:32 has some life in the model realm, and a good next size down from 1:18. Though I'm mostly interested in planes there's still much of FOV 1:32 armor I still don't have also.

I have a lot of 1:72 diecast too from long ago, but it's mostly in the garage as it's too small to thrill me.

I'd have to say 1:32 is right in that goldylocks zone for me at the moment.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 am

Everything's 1:18 for me... or 1:18-ish... 1:16 RC tanks and 1:18 Military vehicles/figures, Star Wars galore...

If space and $$$ weren't issues at all, I'd gladly buy more 1:6 stuff though. The detail, realism, and diversity (in Star Wars and military both) are great. 1:6 figures are definitely space-hogs though, and you guys that get the big items to go with those figures? Well god bless you and your wives.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:12 pm

1/18, definitively. Soldiers are mobile, so you can place them as you need. Try to find a 1/32 or 1/48 platoon of Marines and to place it into your Blackhawk... I could house 12 men into my BBI UH-60 (+ 2 pilots). But if you want to make a diorama, you have to go out home. Here some examples:

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I collect 1/18 cars, tanks, figures and planes. I like this scale because I don't have to squint to see them.

rohirrimknight
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rohirrimknight » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm

My favourite collection mostly in 1/6 (movie figures) with some of them in 1/72 and 1/35 scales (tanks and planes). I just start collect in 1/18 scale mainly on military planes and soldiers.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 pm

I collect mostley 1/18 WWII planes. I have a few U.S. trucks/halfracks and a couple jets. My display is in a small room that I made an office/mancave.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm a 1/32 guy through and through. 1/35 and below is just too small, and 1/18and above is just too big for my completionist mindset. I have to have it all so 1/18 is out of the question (My wife would never allow that much space for 1/18 stuff). 1/32 is a good balance of size, detail and "playability". My only complaint is the lack of figure's with limbs you can manipulate, but that just gives me reason to buy more figures :twisted:

-Kevin

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:30 am

Love your collection and pictures granch!!
Keep posting more pictures when you can!!

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:41 am

Awesome dios Granch! 8)
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you for the feedback. There is one moresimple dio in the topic "BBI Black Hawk Pave Hawk skis", other can be found on the net at Foxhole Toys, customer gallery.

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:34 pm

1/18 is my main focus, because it is big enough to bring out the detail in an MG42, but not to huge to be crushed under a Tiger. I prefer 21st, but since they went under I have taken a look at BBI, JSI, and FOV

I started off just picking up whatever I thought looked cool at my hobbystore,
then I focused only on the Western Front France/Holland/Belgium.

I always have extra money to spend, and 3 rooms to store my stuff/dioramas.