I'm moving away from 1:18th…what scale to replace it????

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ww2collecter
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'm moving away from 1:18th…what scale to replace it????

Post by ww2collecter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 pm

I dont post much, but read a lot on this forum. Some might "know" me by how I have my collection displayed.
For those that dont, here it is

Its not that I don't like the scale, but 2010 for me was the 1st year that I did not purchase a new model :(

I know they have repaints and some companies make REALLY expensive ones, but overall the ones that were the norm (21st, BBi..etc) are not around.

So what is the next best scale to collect on? Detail and popularity wise?

I was at a local hobby store that had tons..I mean tons of 1:72 scale (Century Wings, Corgi, ..etc)

Is that a scale that has a good reputation and will be around for awhile?
I sure don't want that disappearing like 1:18.

Again, If something new 1:18 comes out, I'll be on it, but for now I need a new addition :lol:

So whats the group say??

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: I'm moving away from 1:18th…what scale to replace it????

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Go rc! That is what is hogging my time!!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Yeah, for a while I went nuts on 1/18 vehicles. Seems there are a lot of options if you look towards 1/16th.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:28 pm

Its not that I don't like the scale, but 2010 for me was the 1st year that I did not purchase a new model :(

I know they have repaints and some companies make REALLY expensive ones, but overall the ones that were the norm (21st, BBi..etc) are not around.

So what is the next best scale to collect on? Detail and popularity wise?

I was at a local hobby store that had tons..I mean tons of 1:72 scale (Century Wings, Corgi, ..etc)

Is that a scale that has a good reputation and will be around for awhile?
I sure don't want that disappearing like 1:18.

Again, If something new 1:18 comes out, I'll be on it, but for now I need a new addition :lol:

So whats the group say??[/quote]

1:72 will never disappear like 1:18 b/c for every one of the 1:18's you can fit at least a half dozen in the same space. CW & Hobby Master are really carrying the brunt of the 1:72 diecast planes right now and they don't show any signs of slowing down. Their future releases look promising with many models pre-sold out. 1:48 used to have alot of variety but Franklin Mint recently stopped producing for mass distribution. Besides, FM's molds were getting dated compared to what's available from Hobby Master in 1:48. As far as 1:32/1:35 goes, Corgi and HM are the only two with very limited offerings while GMP has gotten out completely. I think model size is a concern these days in what's being produced with packaging/retail shelving space THE main factor.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:51 am

I like some of the easy build 1:144 kits.

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:02 am

I guess I should add my response here as well:

As much as it pains me to say it, being a diehard scale purist of the 1:32 sort, 1:32 seems to be just about as dead as 1:18 these days. Releases are few and far between, and what does get released just keeps getting pricier. 1:48 never really seemed to take of the way I think it could have. 1:24 has but a few interesting things going on, mainly related to R/C products.

1:72... Although I don't collect it myself, has been where it's at for the last couple of years, and it wasn't as if it was unheard of before then. The variety of models is amazing, covering just about all eras (can't say I've seen a lot of WWI, but then, I haven't been looking). The space issue for display is cetainly a big plus. With my 1:32 I can lay out a diorama depicting a decent street scene, a snapshot type image if you will, and with 1:18, unless you are truly lucky with the amount of space you have, about all you can do is focus on one piece at a time. With 1:72 you can actually cover enough terrain to show actual tactical scenarios. Of course, this is all a moot point if all you'll be doing is displaying on a shelf. Another plus to 1:72 is that it is a popular scale for a variety of subjects, both aircraft and ground vehicles, and even some marine. Where 1:32 is popular for ground vehicles, tanks and trucks, 1:48 is popular for aircraft, planes and helicopters. Now that the "boom" is over, it's hard to find 1:32 aircraft, especially anything modern or multiengined. Did anyone ever do any helicopters? 1:72 seems to have nice collections of everything.

And then of course, there's the cost. For what one Abrams tank will cost me these days at regular retail prices, I could buy a platoon of them in 1:72! 1:72 makes depicting an actual army possible, fleets of trucks, realistic convoys... The price also allows for a little more freedom to customize. I'm still fairly hesitant to do much to a $70 tank, but I might be willing to risk a $15-$20 tank in my unskilled hands.

All that having been said, though I may stop to think about what I'd do if I was starting over from scratch, for me, it's 1:32 or nothing. And for the last couple of years... that means quite a bit of nothing...

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:20 am

If you didn't have such a terrific plane collection, I'd suggest you look into 1/16 but that is mostly tanks and trucks with just a few Jeeps. Some very nice pieces just waiting for space on your shelves.

Or you can go to "the Dark Side". You have the room and the 1/6 vehicle and dolly market is just endless and getting better and better each year. Authentic and realistic uniforms, weapons and head sculpts, not to mention tanks, half-tracks and trucks. Just a thought.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:46 am

Ruger, I have to disagree about 1/32 being as dead as you say it is. At least airplane wise. While it's true that the cheap 21C days of nicely prepainted and assembled models are over, there seems to be a lot of stuff coming up in the modeling world to fill that gap. 1/32 bombers are starting to be announced, and 1/32 B-25's and B-17's are supposedly coming out, so it's not all that bad. The hard part is devoting the time and energy to building the model, especially if you aren't as skilled as these other full time modellers (like I am, I haven't made a model in 20 years and I'm struggling to get through a real basic kit just to get my feet wet). But at least we're getting more choices in that scale, and not less. I for one will probably jump on that 1/32 P-61 if/when it comes out...

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:01 pm

nooker21 wrote:Ruger, I have to disagree about 1/32 being as dead as you say it is. At least airplane wise. While it's true that the cheap 21C days of nicely prepainted and assembled models are over, there seems to be a lot of stuff coming up in the modeling world to fill that gap. 1/32 bombers are starting to be announced, and 1/32 B-25's and B-17's are supposedly coming out, so it's not all that bad. The hard part is devoting the time and energy to building the model, especially if you aren't as skilled as these other full time modellers (like I am, I haven't made a model in 20 years and I'm struggling to get through a real basic kit just to get my feet wet). But at least we're getting more choices in that scale, and not less. I for one will probably jump on that 1/32 P-61 if/when it comes out...

Well, see, the thing is... There's a lot of stuff that's being announced/planned/supposedly coming, but as far as the last year or so...

Nothing.

And I don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to get excited about nothing. Rumors are fun and all, but as for new product? I'll believe it when I see it. And I'm not talking model kits, those have always been an option, but for whatever reason we're all here because we're fans of the prebuilt stuff. There are dozens of other forums for modelling, but we're here. Myself? I like moving tracks. Models (by and large) don't have them, 1:72 doesn't have them. So I'm a guy who is into the 1:32 prebuilt. I like to modify and or decorate, but I like the sturdiness of "toys" as compared to models.

As mentioned, 1:72 is tempting... But I'll hold out. Besides, I"ve got enough to keep me occupied. For now.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:If you didn't have such a terrific plane collection, I'd suggest you look into 1/16 but that is mostly tanks and trucks with just a few Jeeps. Some very nice pieces just waiting for space on your shelves.

Or you can go to "the Dark Side". You have the room and the 1/6 vehicle and dolly market is just endless and getting better and better each year. Authentic and realistic uniforms, weapons and head sculpts, not to mention tanks, half-tracks and trucks. Just a thought.

TTT
Knowing what I know now I would never get into 1/6 for vehicles unless it was strictly b/c I loved R/C. If you want to talk about taking up space try owning one tank....even a relatively "small" M-5 Stuart tank (right Picklehaub?). And if you do want to complicate your life then I've got a 1/6 Viper Sherman for sale if anyone is interested. You just need to offer me the right price and come pick it up b/c it ain't shippable! :shock:

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Depends on if you are going to go with only one scale, or don't mind mixing scales.

If you go with only one scale, 1/72 has the widest selection by far, but the single engined props are fairly small. The jets are a decent size however. As are the medium and heavy bombers.

1/48 is the next scale up, but the selection is fairly limited. Franklin Mint are no longer doing aircraft, but Hobby Master are expanding their 1/48 line up. And Eagles international do some nice P-51's, and Carousel have the Me 109, FW190, P-40, and P-36. Although both these companies are no longer in business.

I would recommend 1/32, 1/35, as these are a good size, and have good quality. But the selection is limited to basically WWII props in aircraft. Still lots of 21C available in plastic. And Corgi have a nice line up, and have just released another Spitfire, and Me109, with an other Mosquito being released in a month or two. GMP make some fantastic models, but only do the P-51, and P-40. And they also no longer do aircraft.

If you don't mind mixing scales, you can get single engined props in 1/32, and 1/48, and almost whatever you want in 1/72.

1/72 has been around forever, and will continue to be the dominant scale.

Nice collection and display,BTW ww2collecter. 8)

ww2collecter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ww2collecter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. Lets hope for more 1:18th in the future. But I think for now I might get into 1:72.

I love AC and it seems like 1:72 will hold me over till something new goes out in 1:18th.

Quick question

Whats a good asking price for that Germany Marine F104 . No box , but excellent condition

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

ww2collecter wrote:
Whats a good asking price for that Germany Marine F104 . No box , but excellent condition
I looked on ebay and found a few boxed ones for sale for $140. Based on completed sales of the Tiger Meet and Smoke II, my guess would be $30 to $60 as a starting price w/ reasonable shipping.

It is a really cool plane. So maybe higher.