Old Crow minus the Crow

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Old Crow minus the Crow

Post by blurx7 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi all,
I have not been around much since the demise of 21C but I still pop in occasionally to see what is being talked about.
I have a question for you 1/18 guys. I mainly collect 1/32 and smaller but I did pick up a few 1/18 pieces and store them away. I just got out my 1/18 scale 21C Old Crow P-51, and realized that the paint job does not have the word "Crow". It is, I believe, the second version, mostly silver with just the nose strip in drab. It says "Old" but that is all.
So, is this common? Did 21C do a lot like this? Is it supposed to be like this? Excuse my ignorance, but I would like to know.
Lack of space and a kid in college has forced me to begin liquidating parts of my collection, and before putting this guy on ebay I would like to know if it is some kind of error or if they were all like this.

Thanks
Geoff
Geoff

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Old Crow minus the Crow

Post by pcoughran » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 pm

I haven't heard of the Old Crow missing the Crow before. 21st century did leave "Old Crow" off the right side (only put the marking on the left side). So, BadCat Toys came out with an Old Crow decal for the right side to fix the mistake. But, again I've never heard of only the Crow part missing.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Sounds like a 21c defect. The 21c version of the "Old Crow" P-51, in its stock configuration, should have the "Old Crow" nose art on the left side of the fuselage only and kill flags without the swastikas. In actuality, the plane had the noseart on both sides of the fuselage and swastikas on the kill flags.

All the 21c "Old Crow" planes I ever saw at retail were this way and did not have the missing words. However, given 21c's track record for QC defects, I am not entirely surprised, either.

You are in luck as your defect should be an easy fix. Badcat toys should still have the "Old Crow" decals for the 21c aircraft in stock. You can order a couple sets to replace the missing words on your plane. You could alternatively contact our boardmember Jackson, as he is the guy that makes those decals for Badcat and he may get you a better deal.

I have used the decals on my plane (to make the correct nose art on the right side of the engine) and they are an exact match to the 21c letters. The decals are perhaps a slight shade brighter, but with a little decal solvent and dull cote, blend in perfectly to the fuselage and look painted on.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks, guys!
Given that I would like to move this piece I guess I have to choose between offering it as is, or acquiring the decal and offering it with the plane.
Still, given the deal I got on the plane originally, I am not complaining.
I wish I could keep it ( along with a whole slew of other planes and tanks I am liquidating) but space and college costs for my son are ruling against me. Sigh.....
Geoff
Geoff

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:17 am

I was looking at the decals at Bad Cat and realised they have a set of Old Crow decal for the BBi Mustang too.

Was it missing on one side too like the 21st version?

I have the BBI Old Crow Mustang and its been stowed away in storage because of space issues, never opened it to check so no idea if it was missing :oops:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 am

Just bought a BBI one last week, and that's got the name on one side only.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:42 am

Never taken my 21C "Old Crow" out of the box. It looked perfectly fine, but after reading this thread. :roll:

If you are planning on selling it blurx7, I would probably just leave it as is. Perhaps somebody would pay even more, as it a hopefully a pretty unique factory screw up.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:17 am

Mad Sam wrote:Just bought a BBI one last week, and that's got the name on one side only.
Rats! Guess the BBI Mustangs are also missing the art on one side.

What are the chances that BBI and 21st both missed the art on 1 side?

Its a Conspiracy! :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 pm

I would probably just leave it as is. Perhaps somebody would pay even more, as it a hopefully a pretty unique factory screw up.
Yep, he could list it as the Uber Rare "Stealth" Old Crow sans Crow... :lol: You just never know, someone might plunk down some serious coin for an oddity like that.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:08 pm

In the action figure realm, namely Star Wars. People list figures that are missing trim paint, or incorrect paint, or even the wrong card sometimes as "errors." and some that in first initial runs maybe had a slight difference in color of paint etc. and corrected later in the run as "variations" Usually these are highly sought after pieces. This also happens in the diecast car realm, namely hot wheels. lots of variations and errors that command high prices.

Though it maybe different in military toys because of the authenticity factor it is something to consider.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks, guys! I will likely follow that course and list it "as is" (with a "super rare", "one of a kind", "HTF" caption) :D :wink: Heh, heh, heh...
Geoff