Heng Long KV-1

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
killer 88s
Corporal
Corporal

Heng Long KV-1

Post by killer 88s » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I've been out of the XD scene for awhile and been itching to get back in. I'm looking at picking up a Heng Long KV-1 since there hasn't been anything new in 1/18 for awhile. Does anyone have one of these tanks? How is the detail on them and how well do they run? Any flaws in the r/c gearboxes or tracks?
Trade Ref: der Vogelfänger, STUKA, wreckchaser, hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, YT, Krevix44, [CAT]CplSlade, Delta Team, ww2collecter, evilanimation, Grilledcheese, AMERICAN_GRENADIER

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Heng Long KV-1

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 am

killer 88s wrote:I've been out of the XD scene for awhile and been itching to get back in. I'm looking at picking up a Heng Long KV-1 since there hasn't been anything new in 1/18 for awhile. Does anyone have one of these tanks? How is the detail on them and how well do they run? Any flaws in the r/c gearboxes or tracks?
The best place to get answers to your questions would probably be here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm

When the page opens, scroll down a bit to read the posted messages.

I have a bunch of HL tanks, but not the KV-1. I have not heard any major complaints about the HL KV-1 at the RCU tankers forum, and it would be hot news over there if it was a dog. By most reports the KV-1 is a well built good running tank, and I think you'd be happy with one.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:29 am

i don't have one but everything i've read about it was positive. It's not tamiya quality but is still well done and runs decently.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:48 am

It's not a bad tank at all and far from too many errors. I've heard that the front idler is weak and the springs as well causing it to sag a bit. I'm taking mine and converting it to a KV-85 with the conversion kit I have. I might update it later with tracks, wheels but for right now I think it's one of their best tanks out of the box.

- Jeff

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:51 am

I have four Heng longs, other than the smokers quitting, they are very well built for the price, and parts and accessories are available everywhere.

They are not Tamiya quality, but for the money I have four and if I had bought Tamiya, I'd have one :D

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 pm

other than the smokers quitting....
The first thing I do on all my HL tanks is open em' up and disconnect the smoke generator. I know some people like them, but they suck battery power like crazy, and are generally fussy and more trouble than they're worth IMO. The little bottles of smoker oil are great for squeaky door hinges though... :lol:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I need to get another KV-1 sometime, turned my first one into a SU-152

Nev

killer 88s
Corporal
Corporal

Post by killer 88s » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:09 pm

tankduel wrote:I need to get another KV-1 sometime, turned my first one into a SU-152

Nev
Wow, that looks fantastic! Great work! We need more Russian armor. A T-55/62/72 would be nice.
Trade Ref: der Vogelfänger, STUKA, wreckchaser, hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, YT, Krevix44, [CAT]CplSlade, Delta Team, ww2collecter, evilanimation, Grilledcheese, AMERICAN_GRENADIER

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 pm

T-55? I have one of those too :mrgreen: Nev

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 am

TD,
Is that the Hooben T-55?

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Yep, I haven't started work on it yet :)
Nev