NEW GUY-BIG QUESTION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USAAF ACE AVIATOR
Private First Class
Private First Class

NEW GUY-BIG QUESTION

Post by USAAF ACE AVIATOR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post at Small Scale Military Headquarters. I am interested in WWII aircraft, the United States Army Air Force, RAF, Tanks,etc. (and pretty much all of WWII, of course, otherwise I would not be here.

However, I do have a problem. I am currently deciding between 1:18 and 1:72 ( and other smaller scales).

I have an EXTREME interest in 1:18 scale (both air and ground forces) , however, I have realized that 1:18 scale doesn't offer as much as 1:72 scale does. I am also a bomber (B-17 B-24 B-25 B-26 Lancaster etc.) man too and it is obvious that collecting in 1:18 scale would deny me this option.

Another 1:18 issue that I am debating is space. I do have SOME space but I am worried this will inhibit my collecting of 1:18 aircraft (ground forces are not a problem).

In terms of the whole decision, I am considering only limiting myself to 1:18 ground forces.

Let my know what you guys think.

THANKS,

USAAF ACE AVIATOR

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Re: NEW GUY-BIG QUESTION

Post by CessnaDriver » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Three words.

Strong fishing line.

I would be unable to collect 1/18 without it!

All of my aircraft are hanging from the ceiiling or gear down on the wall hanging like a picture.

USAAF ACE AVIATOR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by USAAF ACE AVIATOR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 pm

I do have a closet, and some other pieces of space.....

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 pm

collect what you like. there is no either/or. i have collected many 1/18 scale aircraft, but not all. now i am expanding into hobbymaster 1/72 vietnam era/ korean war/ century series aircraft. when you get a 1;18 scale plane in your hand, all you can think is "hell yeah." when you get a HM 1/72 in your hand, you try all configurations, on the stick/off the stick. various weapons configs. both are very gratifying experiences. welcome to the hobby. either route you go, you will enjoy it. start collecting with what you are passionate about, and don't worry about what we think. we'll be waiting to read about your recent "gets", and looking forward to your pics!
bc
coleslaw is a condiment.
Good Trader: Delta Team
vulgarvulture

USAAF ACE AVIATOR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by USAAF ACE AVIATOR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 pm

thanks iballdriver! look forward to it!

:)

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 am

Welcome aboard! All the points you made in regard to the complications of 1:18 are true. There are a couple more to consider:
1. Some of these planes and tanks are expensive as many are no longer available for sale at retailers on line or other wise.
2. It's REALLY hard to limit just to ground forces as I guarantee that somewhere down the line you will add a plane then be hooked.
3. There is simply something incredible about the 1:18 scale once you have one or two of your own. The scale is just so impressive. Every time a client comes to my studio and sees the 10 or so I have on display they can't help but ask about them with real interest. They have been the best for ice breaker discussions. My point is simply that these planes in this scale is pretty unique and commands attention. I say jump in the deep end here and learn to swim! It's lots of fun and many here will help you! Lots of good guys around here.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:06 am

GO LARGE

Just be warned though, once you're infected, there's no known cure......

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:24 am

Like they all said before, once you start it's almost impossible to turn back. I originally planned to do just Modern 1/18 ground stuff, then got my first 1/18 Modern Jet and I was hooked. Next came the WWII planes, then of course you have to have the ground stuff from WWII as well. I collect 1/72 as well, but it just doesn't compare to the "shock & awe" of 1/18. You'll have fewer pieces, but boy will they be impressive!
I would start with the B/S/T section here, although you'll have to wait 6 months to participate, but it will most likely have the best deals (as oppossed to Ebay). You can still find good deals on Ebay just harder to do.
There are also still some fairly good deals at some etailers, but you won't find the $25 and $30 deals of Walmart and Toys R Us days. You can still get nice 1/18 models for the same price as a good 1/72 model.
Good luck with your choice.
Phil
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:50 am

If it were up to me, I'd say collect both scales :D

1:72 has the largest variety of aircraft and armor from all eras - by far. Hundreds of items are easily obtainable for their retail prices. 1:72 seems to also be in some sort of "renaissance" period with more companies offering a greater variety of items that have amazing detail and functionality. Just take a look at the offerings from various online retailers to see what I mean...

1:18 had its "golden age" really in the 2000-2007 period, but is now in remission. The scale is not dead, but is not what it once was. 1:18 scale offers the size and detail "wow" factor. The best 21c and BBI models, for example, were virtual works of art with fine detailing and lots of moving parts. During its heyday, 1:18 items were the best value - you could get a super-detailed 1:18 P-51 for often less than the cost of the same plane in 1:72 diecast. However, many 1:18 items seemed to suffer from QC issues as companies tried to pack in too much detail at the cost of the integrity of the model. 1:18 scale also never offered the sheer variety that 1:72 scale has. That was simply due to size/cost/marketability concerns.

With 1:18 in remission and most of the companies either out-of-business or not manufacturing 1:18 items for the time being, 1:18 items are getting harder to find and are increasingly expensive. Expect to pay around $100 for a boxed 1:18 21c P-51 you once could find at Wal Mart for $40. Still, you can find good deals from time to time, but its a lot harder to build a full collection.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm

CessnaDriver wrote:Three words.

Strong fishing line.

I would be unable to collect 1/18 without it!

All of my aircraft are hanging from the ceiiling or gear down on the wall hanging like a picture.
I have flying tanks now! LMAO HAHAHA :lol: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Who says you are limited to one scale? Are the Scale Police gonna come in and fine you?

Most of us have more than one scale. I started with 1/35 as a kid, 1/18 as an adult and went to 1/6 and now even a few planes in 1/72. Whatever floats your boat.

Is it about time for another "Here is a pic of my collection" thread?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Welcome to the forum USAAF ACE AVIATOR. :D

There is no "right answer" to your question. You should collect what you want, and not worry about other peoples opinions. The best diecast model, is the one that you like. :?

However that being said, I would recommend the BBI Corsair or P-51. Or one of the Olive Drab 21 Century P-38's. Just my opinion though.

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:16 pm

GO BIG or Go Home! is what I say.
But then again, I have (most) of my collection listed on ebay right now...not because I don't like the scale, we're moving out of state and won't have the space so I've got my favorites I'm gonna keep and the rest go bye bye. May pickup some new stuff as it comes out (KING TIGER please)

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:06 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Who says you are limited to one scale? Are the Scale Police gonna come in and fine you?

Most of us have more than one scale. I started with 1/35 as a kid, 1/18 as an adult and went to 1/6 and now even a few planes in 1/72. Whatever floats your boat.

Is it about time for another "Here is a pic of my collection" thread?

TTT
Imageget what you like don't wory about the size :D click on picture opens webshots

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:44 am

As far as my collection goes, I really don't care about scale, most of it is between 1/18 and 1/32, but I have some 1/72 and 1/144.

As others have said, collect what you like, its your money, enjoy whatever scale or scales.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:04 am

Welcome aboard.....

I had to work with the space that I had available to display as many 1/18 planes as possible. I have them on the wall and not hanging from the ceiling. Hanging them from the ceiling gives the natural flying pose, but I could not had gotten so many into the area that I had available. Members have hung them on the wall with fishing line just like when hanging them on the ceiling, I ended up making a bracket. It all depends upon your own preferences.

As for scale, its what ever makes you happy. I have 1/18 planes and a couple 1/18 vehicles, and I don't think that I would be happy with the smaller scales after having these planes since they were new. There is something about the 1/18 scale that just draws me to these planes.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55 am

I started out with 1/32 and then seen my first 1/18 109 and from there it went down hill, anything that had great detail was fair game.

Just wish I had got into collecting sooner, the one that I was really waiting for was 21st centurys B-25, had no idea where I would put a plane that size, but it was a must have.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 am

collect them all :D
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Buckyroo, Where did you get that ceiling fan? That is so cool.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 pm

The fan is made by Craftmade and is available in many places including Amazon, WalMart.com, Historical Aviation, and many more. I even think that Military Toy Shop or Badcat had it too. If you know any electrical contractors they might be able to get it cheaper than these other places. The price is high, but I have been very happy with the performance and would buy it again without hesitation.

http://www.craftmade.com/air/collections/64#

The cool thing about this ceiling fan company is that they did know enough to put 3 blades on the P-40 and 4 blades on the P-51 - even though the ceiling fan uses the same molded cover.

Here's a better picture. I added the Hamilton Standard decals which are not correct to a P-40, but I thought that it added to the look.

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Cool thanx