SkyWorksToys Pay As You Go Plan

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tom@skyworkstoys
Corporal
Corporal

SkyWorksToys Pay As You Go Plan

Post by tom@skyworkstoys » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Hey Everyone!

With everyone talking about the price of models, and how they can't afford them, we at SkyWorksToys decided to try something new! How would you like to get a built model of ours on an installment plan? Here is what we were thinking.

SkyWorksToys will choose one of our models, and instead of selling it for the full price all at once, we would ship and charge you for different modules. For example, the first module would be the cockpit. We would make the parts for only the cockpit, pack them up, and send them to you. It might be $30 for that module, we aren't sure yet. A few weeks later we would send the fuselage module, and charge another $30. By the time you are done, you will have the entire plane at roughly the same price as the kit.

We have just about decided which model to use, and that is the all new Typhoon! This model is by far the most advanced that SkyWorksToys has done, and the level of detail is awesome. Using some of the same techniques as the master builder Guillermo Rojas, who is a personal friend of ours, we have perfected the outside rivet, and skin detail to be as accurate as possible by actually making the prototype with aluminum. While this is our first choice, your input could have us do the Hurricane, or our Tony. With the Hurricane, and Tony, you will have the opportunity to own one of the most successful models SkyWorksToys has done. We may even add a detailed engine to the Hurricane, which we have an unmarketed prototype of, if that is chosen. So let us know what YOUR choice is.

We are also hoping to make many of you better modelers at the same time by doing utube videos of each section as we ship them. You will be able to not only get the kit, but we would help you build it via utube! We will also do a video on what tools you will need to build the model, how to paint it, and how to decal it. At the end you will have a beautiful model. Technical support would also be available by either phone, or email for anyone in the program.

Now, before we go forward, we want to know what you think. We need to get a fair number of people who would be interested in this program before we can begin. So, if you are interested in getting a fully finished model by paying over time, and doing the work yourself, let us know on this forum. We also want to hear your ideas on how we can make a program like this as good as possible, so if you have any constructive ideas, let us know.

Many of us are in the same boat. My wife would kill me if I dropped $400 on a model kit, but if I were to pay $30 every few weeks she would one never know, and two not mind as much! Our goal is to get more modelers into the hobby, and into SkyWorksToys kits.
Tom@SkyWorksToys

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Re: SkyWorksToys Pay As You Go Plan

Post by tko211 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I like the "out of the box thinking" on this. Pun intended! ;)

I would have to see the work on the Typhoon before I could make a choice but that's likely where I might lean for myself. I'm sure she is going to be a real beauty. I'm personally and mostly curious if the landing gear on the Typhoon are going to retract like the work being done on the new A-10. I'm a sucker for working gear!

Love the thinking on this and it's better than a savings plan as we get a chance to do an interactive build and have stuff to work on and do as we wait for the next parts. I would like to know more and see some Typhoon pics! Cheers guys!

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:12 pm

A novel idea Tom.

But here is the problem. Every time you ship a part, it costs you on shipping. Particularly to me in Canada. You would get better postage to the US. But still, you will pay significantly more on shipping to have the model sent in bits, than if it was shipped in one package. Perhaps I am wrong on this?

Secondly, most members here want finished models.If not we would be buying plastic kits.Although some members here do have great modeling skills.

It is certainly a different approach, and I do appreciate that you are trying to make your model easier to get. :?

But this is a project for serious modelers only. Considering the price of the kit.

Just my 2 cents.

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:56 am

It is a good idea kinda like the old lay-away plan though I would prefer it sent to me when its paid off not in parts
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 am

I like the idea. Not sure how this works on Skyworks end. Is this going to be an all in type of program where items are automatically billed and shipped, or will Skyworks offer kits ala carte with no set billing and shipping schedule? I think either way would work, but with the holidays coming up I think just offering kits ala carte style without any set schedule would be nice. Either way I am extremely intrigued by this and I hope enough people are willing to try it. You should set up a poll once you know exactly how this will be run. I really like the kits Skyworks offers but I rarely ever have enough cash at once to buy one. I would love a Tony, Spit, 190A, and especially the Typhoon.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 am

usmcchet9296 wrote:It is a good idea kinda like the old lay-away plan though I would prefer it sent to me when its paid off not in parts
I totally agree with you and would really like to see that as an option but what happens if people get half way into paying for a kit and then decide to back out? How would that affect Skyworks? There could potentially be a lot of unsecured cash floating around.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:49 am

Tom:
This is a novel idea for SkyWorks to get their items out in the community and also provide a positive cash flow. The only drawback I see is those who can do kits and those that can't. We have all seen the cottage industries pop up since the JS F-14 debacle with many board members sending their "spotcats" out for repaint, even SkyWorks got into that end of the industry.
So I guess what I am saying is, that hopefully there are enough board members with the skill level to complete/decal/paint your parted out projects for you to make this a viable concept.
I hope it works out for you and Jack. Good Luck
JOC

"Good Night Chesty, wherever you are"

tom@skyworkstoys
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tom@skyworkstoys » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

Guys,

On the shipping issue, each kit would carry its own charge, but it would be much less than an entire finished model. The small kits might have a shipping charge of $5.00 each, while a fully painted, and packed model runs about $50. In the end, it might cost a few more dollars, but not enough the discourage anyone from participating.

As for not everyone being a great modeler, we think this is the coolest part. With our instruction, and video coming from a master modeler, we think we can make anyone a great modeler. Everyone, regardless of skill level, will have the opportunity to learn something while ending up with a beautiful, finished model.

If someone decides after a few sections not to continue, that is fine since you are only paying for each section one at a time. You can also decide to stop if you want, and start back up later! Part of the beauty of this program.

We are busy with a large order of out pilots, but we will try and post a few pics of the Typhoon on this thread this weekend. Just be warned, your heart might not be able to take them it is so awesome! We have been working on the Typhoon for over a year, the longest we have ever worked on one model, and the results show it.

Keep the feedback coming!
Tom@SkyWorksToys

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

I think it's a great idea and certainly it wouldn't work for everyone. I think yourself would have to commit to the longevity of the program and assume the risk of dropping out. SkyWorks certainly couldn't be liable for that.

Like I said, this would not be the best idea for all.

- Jeff

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 am

After reading the second post left by Tom, I think this has gone from a great idea to an awesome idea. At least it has for me. I was worried we would be locked into a subscription (for lack of a better term) and that each kit would automatically be billed and shipped at a set time. Now that Tom has described a scenario where you can buy at your own leisure I'm ready to go. Awesome idea and an awesome subject to start with. The Typhoon is basically the size of a P-47 so this one is going to be big.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 am

This sounds pretty good to me as well.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Excellant idea! will the a-10 be a kit as well, i would love to do some repaints! Come check us out on facebook, Oneeighteenthrepaints!

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Absolutely marvelous idea. I am a model builder from a LONG way back and would invite any idea that makes my creation "not out of the box". Nearly all of the former "built" models I have have been altered for that personal touch in one way or another. This would give me more input for the finished product (mold making and plastic pressing are beyond my control).
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 pm

I love where this is going. Count me in for sure. Skyworks may be creating a new market type here in 1/18 scale.

I'm definitley down for the Typhoon!!! Can't wait to see the pictures of it... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Now THIS in interesting! Assuming we can stop purchasing parts when we want, does this mean we can also just buy specific parts? I would think about just buying the base fuselage and wings and maybe just scratchbuild a cockpit and undercarriage (maybe even just model it with wheels up). Would this be an option?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dcway » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi All
I hope we have an option of either a pay as you go or a fully built and painted model!!!!
i don't have much talant for building models so i'm looking for fully built one's .
Another option is fully painted with no markings and then they sell markings packages.. different units, squadrons , nose art ,kill markings ...Like what badcat did with the BBI F-16's .... I can decal thats about it !!! LOL to busy with work and family
to have long projects .. i'd like to see this option with the A-10 ...I have many units i'd like to see done and special markings too.....
just my 2cents worth !!!!
DCWAY (dana)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

If I did, I would probably opt for paying for it completely and getting the whole plane shipped if it were an option.

I have used the Sideshow's Flexpay before for their high end stuff. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=24251
Not sure if something like that is a good fit for Skyworks, or something less formal like suggested, but it might make some people want to buy if they didn't have to pay for the well worth it models all at once, and would solve a few problems.

Of course, I guess that's what credit card companies and banks are for. :?

Though the pay for it in sections and receive parts you have to assemble as you go is a novel idea too, and I wouldn't rule that out at all.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 pm

I like the idea and the subject matter. Have always liked the Typhoon, and look forward to seeing pics. Would give this program a try. Also wonder about prepaying like lay away for a finished model.
Todd

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 am

I think this is a great idea for three main reasons. First, it shows that the "cottage industry" folks ARE being innovative in trying to develop new business models, which is a must for adapting to changing circumstances. Second, this process would fit with the way I (and I'm sure lots of other people) actually work on models, which is a little bit at a time as the press of "real life" allows. Except for small projects, I rarely sit down and do something from start to finish all at one time. Instead, I'll start and stop, building one part or set of parts, then have to set it aside for a while. Finally, the idea of publishing video tutorials that go along with the released sub-assemblies is FANTASTIC. Again, by doing it in "chunks" it makes the process of learning seem a LOT more "do-able" to someone like me who has to work the hobby into little bits of time here and there.

Congratulations on coming up with a great idea and COUNT ME IN!!!

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 pm

How about at least entertaining the idea of the old standard layaway plan. If you (Skyworks) already have completed stock of early (or any) offerings; P-51Bs, ME-163s, what have you- consider allowing us to send you what we can as soon as we can. 25.00-30.00 a week plus 150.00-200.00 at the end of each month (commission time). I used to buy 1500.00-2500.00 guns occasionally this way and lesser ones, too. Of course, I used to have alot more commission money each month, too. Selling the pieces is a great idea, but I think more than one of us are not much of the do-it-yourself modelers, regardless of the self help video idea.

airacobra wrote--I totally agree with you and would really like to see that as an option but what happens if people get half way into paying for a kit and then decide to back out? How would that affect Skyworks? There could potentially be a lot of unsecured cash floating around.

I don't think this would be a problem for the overwhelming majority of us- I never backed out of a gun purchase- anyone else back out this type of deal??

One More Thing, I've never mentioned Skyworks in any of my posts that I recall- I've always just looked and considered them out of my range- keep us posted if we can work out acceptable and timely payment plans- I think a hell of alot of us on this board; members and lurkers would love to have your products, but 400-700.00 is just alot to swallow at once nowadays.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:29 pm

Hmm, lets see.... 56 Skyworks planes total, thats about $30,000 at retail-- if I don't win the lottery then maybe the parents will consider an early living inheritance. But you'll still run out of room just the same.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 am

that looks like a good way to get the A 10

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 am

Great Idea! I have always drooled over their aircraft, but couldn't force myself to drop $300 at one time. This would make it easier on the pocket book and less emotional guilt. I would be in for a Typhon or A-10.

tom@skyworkstoys
Corporal
Corporal

SkyWorksToys Update

Post by tom@skyworkstoys » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey Everyone!

Jack and I were talking today, and we both think it is time to get another update out there for you, so here goes.

It has been super busy at SkyWorksToys lately! Our nozzles, landing gear, pilots, and paint service has been keeping us hopping. We have also had a bunch of requests to fix planes, so I guess we are now in that business as well. We have had planes that have fallen off the ceiling, been stepped on, or just plain broke sent in. We do our best to get them back to original condition as soon as possible.

We have decided to go ahead with the Pay-As-You-Go plan! We have chosen the Hurricane as our first model to be in the program. We have a ton of experience with this plane, and it will be a nice beginning to what we hope is an ongoing program. To make this first one special, we are going to start with something we have never offered as our first part. We have an engine for the Hurricane that will be the first part to be shipped to members of our SkyWorks Club. The engine can be mounted in the model, or used as a static display beside the finished project. From there we will work to add on areas that make sense in a model building way. The cost of this first installment is going to be $50, as well as $10 shipping. We are going to keep the cost as close to the regular price of our model as possible. If you want to get in on this, just go to our web-site and send us an email saying you are interested along with your address where we can ship the parts to. We also ask everyone who is going to join for this first model get a PayPal account. This is the easiest way for us to charge for the parts, and the easiest for you to pay. The account is free, and can be found at www.paypal.com. If this is as successful as we think it will be, this will only be the first of may models we can help people get into without breaking the bank all at one time. Remember, you can opt out anytime you want, so signing up doesn't commit you to the entire project, BUT if you do opt out, we will not be refunding anything for the parts you have already bought. Fair? We thought so.

Jack is still busy working on our next big releases, the A-10 Warthog, and the Hawker Typhoon. Both of these are well into the prototype phase, and getting closer to production every day. The Typhoon is almost ready for the mold making step, and after that is perfected, we can go into production. Jack is really making some fantastic progress on the A-10, and the detail he is able to put into it is really awesome. We have some pics of both of these on the site right now. There are also a few new projects in the "thinking" stage right now, and they could be very interesting if we decide to go forward with them, so keep watching for more updates.

That is about it for now. Between keeping up with the incoming orders, painting, fixing, and designing things, there really isn't much time left. If anyone has any questions about the new SkyWorks Club, or anything else, please feel free to send us an email on our site, and we will do our best to get back to you as soon as we can with an answer.
Tom@SkyWorksToys

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 am

Tom you know a good candidate for the pay as you go plan would be a bomber. B-25 or in my dreams a B-17. Heck, I would be happy with parts from these planes for display. Just an idea.