1/16 tanks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 tanks

Post by smittyrob64 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:07 pm

aferguson wrote: I'll hang onto my 1/18 artillery, halftracks,...
That's what I'm doing, keeping the 88, pak 40 and 4 sdkfz 251's which I'm modifying, and everything else in 1/16.

These are some of the other upcoming 1/16 vehicles I can remember that are supposed to come out,..... soon.

Heng Long Sherman (not Mato's)
Heng Long King Tiger
Asiatam sdkfz 9 Famo
sdkfz 251
Last edited by smittyrob64 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm

the thing that interests me most about 1/16, aside from the current variety, is the future possibilities.

More russian armour, maybe some british armour and who knows, in time maybe even some more oddball stuff like a French Char B or Italian M13/40 and for modern a merkava and strv 103. At least the popularity of the scale makes stuff like that a possibility.

In 1/18, we'll be lucky to see a KT and Jagdpanther, with virtually no hope of russian, british etc., aside from specialty items like PH's beautiful offerings. But some of these vehicles, especially the russian, i want multiples of, and to buy them as expensive resin kits is out of reach.

So for me, i think the 1/16 - 1/18 approach is the best....not ideal but still pretty good.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

the thing that interests me most about 1/16, aside from the current variety, is the future possibilities.....At least the popularity of the scale makes stuff like that a possibility......

In 1/18, we'll be lucky to see a KT and Jagdpanther, with virtually no hope of russian, british etc., aside from specialty items like PH's beautiful offerings.
Agreed. In time, when the global economy begins to bounce back there will be things in 1/16 that will make even the most dedicated 1/18 static armor fan drool.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm

I just got hold of this pic of the coming soon 'Porsche' turret KT from Heng Long.
Nev

YT

Post by YT » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Very cool, but those paint jobs are the worst!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 am

Wow that's damn nice looking. Can't wait for that.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 am

LoL - these look like Cobra King TechnoTigers! :lol:

These will be awesome after a new paint job 8)

How much would this KT set you back? Bit impatient of waiting for the 1/18 KT
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

all the green and purple one needs is some peace symbols on it and it would make a great hippie mobile. Far out, man..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm

..... that's funny "aferg". ... I favor the KT w/ Porsche turret myself , preferably even over the Henschel design

as I have both by Tamiya , but this HL looks promising as it can easily be re-painted to whatever scheme you'd like other than what's shown of course.

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

What are/were the major differences int he Turrets, and why?
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:26 pm

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Jesse, If you scroll down to the forth pic you'll see the two turrets side by side.
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger2.htm
As you can see the the Porsche turret has a curved front, this was deemed a "shot trap". A round from an enemy tank or field piece could hit just below the curvature and the upper hull, possibly blowing the turret off the tank.
The Henschel design decreased the size of the front of the turret and eliminated the shot trap.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:56 pm

.......... I already knew about the shot trap being the major flaw in the Porsche turret design

but despite its flaw , I just really like its low & sleek silhouette over the blockish Henschel turret even though it was re-designed against such flaw. I should've made this clear but I didn't think about it , as I thought most already knew.

- Mitch
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 am

normandy wrote:Jesse, If you scroll down to the forth pic you'll see the two turrets side by side.
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger2.htm
As you can see the the Porsche turret has a curved front, this was deemed a "shot trap". A round from an enemy tank or field piece could hit just below the curvature and the upper hull, possibly blowing the turret off the tank.
The Henschel design decreased the size of the front of the turret and eliminated the shot trap.

Thanks Normandy. I'd never really read the why's, so that's interesting. Is there a 1:16 RC KT with the Henschel turret already? I'm not digging much up from any of the usual places.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Tamiya makes one http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-5601 ... -6891.html
You'd have to check with the RC guys about price.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Can anyone recommend dealers for 1/16 scale rc tanks in the US? Thanks.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

I figured Tamiya had one. I can only fathom it's pricey. I was hoping Hen Long or Mato or someone made one.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 am

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:Can anyone recommend dealers for 1/16 scale rc tanks in the US? Thanks.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Unless you are flush and not too concerned with cost, ebay is the best place to get 1/16. If you do a Google search for RC tanks, you will get dealers who are generally way overpriced. The seller "mideatoys" has the best prices on ebay. You can get a jagdpanther, panther, or stug for example, for around $110-$115 shipped. There are no new King Tigers available right now. The occasional used one will show up. I got my KT for $100 shipped. It had been repainted, but I was doing the happy dance to get it for that price whether it ran or not. As I have said so many times before on this site, the amount of accessories available in 1/16 is huge. Some of it. like metal tracks is a little pricey, but at least its there.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:12 pm

You got a used Tamiya for $100 shipped? That seems outstanding. THough I always imagined Tamiya kit RC's being a bit tempermental.

Is the 1:16 RC Sherman still really expensive? Shermans are easily my faves, but I've not seen much for anything US in the 1:16 RC world.

I would second Midea Toys by the way. Got my P3 off him and he's a nice guy.

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Not Tamiya. Heng Long. You are lucky to get a heavily used Tamiya for less than $300. I'm not willing to pay $500-$700 over the price of a HL just to get a Tamiya. There are RC guys who will argue till they are blue in the face that a Tamiya Panther is worth $600 more than a RC Heng Long. Better, yes, but $600 better? I just can't see it. True, I am not a hardcore RC guy. I had rather get 5 HL tanks as opposed to just one Tamiya. The KV-1 was on sale a while back for $80 on the Matomart site. Most of these sites are not in the U.S. Just not many dealers here in the U.S.

Here are some RC tank sites:
file:///C:/Users/Johnny/Documents/Radio%20control/RC%20Command.htm
file:///C:/Users/Johnny/Documents/Radio%20control/RC%20tank%20de.htm
file:///C:/Users/Johnny/Documents/Radio%20control/RC%20tank%20de.htm
file:///C:/Users/Johnny/Documents/Radio%20control/Welsh%20Dragon%20Models.htm
file:///C:/Users/Johnny/Documents/Radio%20control/Matomart.htm

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:48 am

hotrodrock wrote:Unless you are flush and not too concerned with cost, ebay is the best place to get 1/16. If you do a Google search for RC tanks, you will get dealers who are generally way overpriced. The seller "mideatoys" has the best prices on ebay. You can get a jagdpanther, panther, or stug for example, for around $110-$115 shipped. There are no new King Tigers available right now. The occasional used one will show up. I got my KT for $100 shipped. It had been repainted, but I was doing the happy dance to get it for that price whether it ran or not. As I have said so many times before on this site, the amount of accessories available in 1/16 is huge. Some of it. like metal tracks is a little pricey, but at least its there.

Thanks for the info.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 am

Here's some stuff from Downunder................ http://www.awesomehobbies.com.au/shop/c ... order=name
Scroll down 3/4's of the page and checkout the Kettenkrad with the 1:18th figs, they do work well with 1:16th. Oh and the 21st Tankers. 8)

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:39 am

Why is it that they can put out so many new 1/16 RC tanks at a reasonable price, but we can't get one new 1/18 static model?

I wish Heng Long would release static versions of their tanks, maybe lower the price alittle without the RC components.

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:35 am

What has me worried about the jagdtiger and the King Tiger is that it appears awesomehobbies commissioned HL to make the two pieces strictly for awesomehobbies. I do hope thats not the case but the jagdtiger is in stock there and ready for shipment and no other dealers anywhere even has any up for preorder. On the home page, it shows the jagdtiger for preorder, but on another page it says in stock and ready for shipment. On another site, it says awsomehobbies in conjuction with HL will be releasing the KT which leads me to believe it may be an exclusive. If they ever make it out of Australia, they will naturally be lots cheaper than aussie prices. I might could bite the bullet on the price but it looks like the cheapest shipping (60 days in transit) from down under is around $80. Here are some pics of my Matorro KT which is no longer available. Being that Matorro and HL are are sister companies, I have never figured out why no KT's have been re-released. Paid $100 which included shipping.

This is another pic I have posted before showing a 1/18 figure which works very well with any of the 1/16 armor.