1/16 tanks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
lilfry14
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 1/16 tanks

Post by lilfry14 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Anyone into the forces of valor 1:16th tanks? I have a king tiger that needs the side skirts. And.a.tiger needing a top machine gun.

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

1:16 Diorama

Post by normandy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 am

Here's a cool diorama in 1:16...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7oQksutLk

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:18 am

I don't know if I feel inspired by that or totally defeated in my meager attempts. I see a mix of 1/18 in there but that's okay when there's depth and separation.
I think OMG is the modern sentiment to be used. I've always considered a diorama as a freeze frame like a photo. A moment captured in time. The occasional animation could have been left out. Cute novelty addition but for some things to move while all else is completely still doesn't make sense like a gate just randomly opening and closing. I'll never understand how people have quite that much time on their hands to accomplish such a magnificent project.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:47 pm

I'd like the space to build it... :)

...to me its like a model train setup, some things move while others remain static.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Just watched again. Lots I missed the first time through. The guy's an artistic genius. After a year I'd probably still be working on the rocks in the creek or the first couple of trees. Can't even imagine the wiring and devices that went into all the moving parts. Train guys would know that kind of stuff.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:57 am

I've watched it and paused the video every few seconds the details that are hidden
are amazing. The groundwork / landscaping blows me away, take a look at the trees.
They are well made and don't look like bottle brushes.

I agree the mixed scales, 1:18 and 1:16 work in this case due to the size of the diorama
and placement of each piece.
The lighting is very well done. In several places I keep seeing scale oil drums on their sides
with green bottoms??? Mini spot lights with green filters :idea: .

The animation / movement like I said is like a train set up...but I could live without it. What I think
would be cool would be to have a turret on one of the Tigers move and fire and maybe a few of the Pak 40's. 8)
This sure beats a bookcase display. :D

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:23 pm

I've watched it again trying to get motivated to do something other than sit around and sulk while listening to the doomsday news and press conferences from the governor all day and it worked though I'm still struggling. I scratch built a ladder for a 1/6 scale project I've been slowly working on and it was very therapeutic. I'm taking long walks with the dog multiple times a day weather permitting but that only takes up so much time. I'm fortunate compared to those of you who are devastated financially. My retirement account is shot but as long as at my high risk age, I don't get sick, I should survive this. I'm following all the state guidelines and basically staying home. I don't anticipate needing anything from the grocery over the weekend so it's just me, the dog and the house. I'm searching out other inspiring YouTube videos but this one is tough to top! I'm still in awe of this guy's talent.
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:00 am

Hey Axis I remember a Palm Tree you made and it looked fantastic. So you've got
talent and now like many of us...time. I'm sure you could blow this guys
diorama away. :wink:

https://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/vie ... 67#p333867

Stay well!

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks Normandy. I'm not sure I have enough years left to do anything near that expansive. And that's assuming I don't end up on a ventilator with Covid19. Several of us seniors at the Museum joke about our Corsair project telling them to send photos of the completed restoration to the nursing home so we can see it. :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Axis you've got plenty of years left, I live by the immortal words of Monty Python...

...I'm not dead yet! :mrgreen:

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Well my "stay safe at home" project is turning into a never ending project. Every time I think I'm making real progress, I realize there are so many time consuming tiny details that need to be added. It's no where the scope of the 1/16 diorama of this topic and I'm sorry to disappoint but it's 1/6 scale, not 1/18 or 1/16 though a 1/18 was my original choice. I was going to do a simple stark snow covered battlefield with Sherman's and various German armor with lots of infantry but it was taking forever to upgrade and modify the armor to winter schemes. One big advantage to winter scenes is you can have figures with coats on to cover up some of the nasty articulation joints. I still had the inspiration from the big 1/6 show and had my 1/6 scale 250 halftrack and lots of nice figures that I've wanted to display somehow so I opted to try that first. Well at the show I saw some simple ruined buildings in styrofoam that I have plenty of from my work days. I thought to myself I could do as good or better than what I saw. So I opted for a small bombed out poured slab concrete structure of similar construction to concrete parking garages. I wanted some height so I went for two stories, thus the ladder I spoke of earlier. I've been working on the structure for the three weeks in the evenings since the stay at home mandate here in Ohio. Weather has been great lately so outside work and dog walks take up a lot of the daylight hours.

Should have some progress pictures soon. Soooo...to be continued....will move this to the 1/6 items thread.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:56 am

Well I'm back to considering a 1/18 scene too. I may be able to do both but the 1/6 building could be a stand alone to give space for the 1/18. Got plenty of stuff including one of Flyboy's styro bombed out buildings. What the heck, why not? Got the stuff and as always I like to improvise to keep down any additional costs.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:38 pm

Go for it Axis, while I like 1:6 I don't have the space because
years ago I committed to 1:18 and I'm glad I did.
You say you have some of Flyboys
styro bombed out buildings, he has made some of the most
impressive customs I've ever seen!! The way he worked with foam
board is amazing.

Looking forward to seeing both 1:6 and 1:18 scale scenes.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Got some progress pics in the 1/6 items thread. I'm wondering if the guy who did the massive 1/16/1/18 scene had a master plan or just added what came to mind. I started with a plan but changed it many times and added things I had no idea I would do when I started. Fun that way for sure! You can be creative and constantly coming up with additions and improvements rather than trying to meet a certain fixed expectation. :)

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 pm

That’s an awesome diorama. It does remind me of some really good model Railroad layouts I’ve seen over the years.

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:16 pm

So, I have bought two Heng Long 1/16 tanks recently, the M4 Sherman and a Pz III, both listed as non-RC, static models to display with my WW 2 troops. I discovered that both were equipped with the electric motors and of course the radio equipment isn’t there. I was wondering if any of you guys have also bought one of these static models and later equipped them with the radio gear? I’m not the best at building electronic stuff but thought these might be good platforms to upgrade.

Aracula
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aracula » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:45 am

got 4 rc 1/16 tanks in the for sale section if anyone is looking for some make me a offer on them maybe we can work something out.
Wir ritten unsere Panzer zum Ruhm, es war der Todesschwan oder die Panzer. Schlacht von Kursk.