PTE Recons

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: PTE Recons

Post by Jesse James » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:22 pm

It's in my post, the last one in the thread.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:49 pm

don't see any images or links in your post either Jesse.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Do you need to be a member perhaps?
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Might need to be logged in, but it's just an image on the server, so I didn't think you should.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 am

well, there is one Hart Store in my area of canada and it was about 30 miles away. But i had some free miles on my Zipcar i had to use up, so i drove to it. And i had a good run. I got the bombed out building, rocket helicopter, watch tower and 6 wheeled apc for $90, tax included. They happened to be having a 25% off sale. No tanks. Saw the Su-27....what all the fuss is about it is beyond me. It was tiny and not very nice looking (looked kinda 'melted' because it is so rounded). I passed on it of course. They only had about 4 of them, so maybe they've been hot sellers, i dunno, but i thought they were junk.

The APC looks better than i expected....it's begging for a repaint though. The ARH helicopter was larger than i was expecting so i snagged it even though i know it's fairly underscale. Helicopters in 1/18 are pretty hard to come by, so beggers can't be choosers i figure. Also begging for a repaint.

The bombed out building is bigger than i expected too......a very neat set. I should probably have gotten two, but i was on a very tight timeline, as i had to get the Zipcar back, and had to make snap decisions. I didn't know they were on sale until i got to the checkout. The watchtower is fun. Not sure what i will do with it, probably make it into a short german POW camp guard tower i suppose. Hogan!

All in all a good jaunt. God bless the internet for the wealth of information it provides and God bless PTE for making nice stuff cheap. And thanks to whoever it was that posted about PTE being available in canada.

Edit: upon further inspection, the bombed out building is really cool. Fantastic deal for $30. Have several ideas what to do with it. Probably some wwi european or italian street fighting dio with german sharpshooters in the upper windows. Two thumbs up Power Team.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:26 pm

The building is one of my favorites. That and the tower are maybe some of the best stuff. I have literally a couple dozen towers, and want a few more.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 pm

what on earth are you using those towers for?? In fact, i never understood why you liked the bombed out building so much. How do you use them in a star wars application?

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Bombed out building isn't far at all from the architecture of a number of SW worlds, but not the least of which is Tatooine of course. It fits in with the Ryloth building look too though. A little work to the doors and things, and you've got a pretty sci-fi look.

The towers fall into the, "paint them primer, slap a logo on them" category to me. In my mind, Star Wars is obviously far removed from the real-world, but there's a lot that isn't. Things like jerry cans haven't really "evolved", and one could easily see them still used in a future-society in some capacity, be it emergency water transportation, or some such.

The watch towers are in that category. Attaching a couple with a catwalk between them, for instance, can make an interesting overhead work platform for a vehicle, or exiting platform for a tall walker. Slap that primer on and an Impy Logo, and have your AT-ST driver's disembarking from a rough mission. Or simply have them as watch towers... Rig a repeating blaster to the peghole for the oversized grenade launcher, and you've got just another pre-fab tower for the EMpire to have a checkpoint set up, searching for droids, or Ewok smugglers.

I've found other uses for other stuff too... Even the little 3 rounds in a box deal. With the right paintjob, and a weapon that requires them, they look quite nifty in the SW universe. Especially if you're able to do small tweaks to them like computer screens, better paintjobs, etc. Good stuff.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I like the PTE line, with my favorites being:

1) The Towers (same reasons as JJ listed)
2) Little Bird (sturdy and nice looking)
3) Humvee w/ Cloth Cover (sturdy and great for carting around any sized figs)

I'm not a fan of the SU tank, but no worries. All my 21c aircraft and simply use it for target practice and my RC panzers can also shove it around. :)

I've not thought about the bombed out building being a Tatooine playset, but I'll give it a shot.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:46 am

scope uk wrote:
Jesse James wrote:I got some weird images of what I guess are new PTE figures? They're like generic adventurers, or generic "enemies" of some sort.

Click through to JediDefender to see it. I'm not sure they haven't been pictured before, but I've not seen them or my memory of them is just completely gone.

Weird, eh?

Sounds interresting! can't find any pics when i follow the link though?

I can see the picture now! strange! anyway cool to see these one looks more military the other like a rock climber and there seems to be more beside them. like you say they look PTE (the only other figures i have seen with this construction came from an eversparkle set)

It would be really nice to see new figures (the chinese soldiers would be nice too) with new equipment! lets keep fingures crossed!

Here in the UK shops seem to get stock twice a year but so far i have not found the SWAT figures here just the military.
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 pm

anyone know what the real name of the FAV is?

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 am

aferguson wrote:anyone know what the real name of the FAV is?

The Desert Patrol Vehicle (DPV), formerly called the Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV), is a high-speed, lightly-armored sandrail-like vehicle first used in combat during the Gulf War in 1991. Due to their dash speed and off-road mobility, the DPVs were used extensively during Operation Desert Storm. The first U.S. forces to enter Kuwait City were United States Navy SEALs in DPVs. The DPV is currently operated only by SEAL Team THREE, the unit assigned to the Middle East.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 am

actually, i meant the chinese FAV, sorry to not be clear....does anyone know what it's really called?

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 am

aferguson wrote:actually, i meant the chinese FAV, sorry to not be clear....does anyone know what it's really called?
I did a good bit of searching and as far as I can tell it's called the LYT-2021. If you do a Google image search for that designation then lots of images of it turn up but unfortunately most of them lead to chinese language web sites. I did find one site with several pictures and some of them have have captions above them with chinese characters and "LYT-2021".

http://club.china.com/data/thread/1013/ ... 4/5_1.html

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am

ah, thanks.

here is some more info on it then:

http://www.outie.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=27862

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:15 am

I appreciate you guys clearing that up. I already liked the FAV, but like it as a LYT even more ... it feels more real. Now to decide if it should become the property of Advanced Idea Mechanics or Cobra? ;)

killer 88s
Corporal
Corporal

Post by killer 88s » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:19 pm

The Big Lots in Anaheim Hills, CA had a large selection. The tank, buggies, raft, and house playsets were all there.
Trade Ref: der Vogelfänger, STUKA, wreckchaser, hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, YT, Krevix44, [CAT]CplSlade, Delta Team, ww2collecter, evilanimation, Grilledcheese, AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Has anyone seen the A-10 yet?
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:21 pm

No its not been seen in my AO.

Eric

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 am

There's a 20% off coupon for all toys $10 and over on the BigLots site. It goes thru Dec 9th. You've gotta be a Rewards Member too.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:27 pm

It seems like the PTE in my area (Sacramento) has dried up to just a few last remaining items.

What are other parts of the country experiencing?

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:31 am

Basically the same MC. We're down to some SWAT 3-packs, and a couple deluxe SWAT figures, mostly with the walls, but that's it. No military sets of any kind left, except one. THey have the big jet around.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

I did find one of the Sacramento Big Lots to have a few (over 6) of the Towers and some of the $3.50 camel / horse / camping set packs. They did also have one F-18, which I bought for my nephews (it might wait another year before making its debut, though I kinda like the idea of springing it on them come May and watching them fly it around outside along with a few of the GI Joe X-20s we've bought them).

No doubt Big Lots is not restocking, but I would suggest that people wanting to find stuff look soon.

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am

I've been to three of them and nothing! I am amazed how it all flew off the shelves. They had plenty before Christmas so I thought I wait and get it after. Wrong!!!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 am

it does seem to be very popular......that can only be a good thing.

It's been 2 years since PTE made anything new of significance. Hopefully soon.

I want a MAZ with Scud and an SA-2. :)