PTE Recons

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: PTE Recons

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 pm

I gotta say, and maybe I'm just not seeing it here, but does PTE ever go on sale/clearance like other toy lines? I don't think it does... Big Lots doesn't really run sales but I know for a fact they've got a decent mark-up on PTE...

Yet, every year they get a ton, and it sells through, and that's really great for the health of it... It's really decent quality for the price too. That balance is hard to acheive IMO but PTE is one of the only lines doing it as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, besides a sale on Penney's (which is often a huge mark-up to start with), I don't see PTE really ever go on sale. On rare occassion BL sends out a 20% off coupon or you can earn one with their rewards card (though you gotta shop there a ton), but that's about it. Every year, a ton of PTE hits the shelves, and every year it pretty much sells through on its own. Impressive.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:30 pm

I've never seen it on sale either Jesse. Even if it is marked up by BL it sure sells. I will pass something up on one trip and the next time I'm in the store they are all gone! I think part of the reason is that PTE makes vehicles and playsets that nobody else is making, at least not in that price range. Now if we could only get the cool figures the Chinese get, not to mention the other stuff that we don't get here. Also, you got customizers and diorama guys buying the stuff.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

None of the BL's ever reduce it here. If you're lucky to still find a few sets on the shelf now, they'll all be gone soon enough.
It is impressive. I've never seen any of it for sale at garage sales or at flea markets either.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Big Bad Toy Store (online) has a bunch of PTE in stock now. I have an Su-27 headed my way.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 pm

they ain't cheap but they have pretty much everything, including the aerial rocket helicopter with rockets and the A-10 for those who've been looking for it..

It's nice to see power team stuff selling so well. Can only mean good things down the road...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Does anyone already have an SU-27 and can give a critique as to it's quality? I have an F-18 and it still sits in the attic as I wasn't very pleased with the quality. My intention is to build it into something else but just haven't gotten to it.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Just thought I'd add that I got the last PTE item my BL had last weekend... They ran a 20% off everything you buy sale, using a coupon that was given out locally, and so I figured whatever PTE was left I'd probably pick up. They had one lone Chinese buggy. :) Weird. It will likely end up as a Star Wars vehicle of some sort, but yeah, it was an odd item to just be hanging out, especially considering my store had a raelly full section for Christmas. They had at least 3 or 4 dozen towers alone, and they're all gone. It's mind boggling.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Everything's gone from my BL's too. It's shame we have to wait til Autumn before we see anymore.
BL has to be very happy with the PTE line!!

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

tpa05 wrote:Does anyone already have an SU-27 and can give a critique as to it's quality? I have an F-18 and it still sits in the attic as I wasn't very pleased with the quality. My intention is to build it into something else but just haven't gotten to it.
I bought the A-10, F-18, and J-10. The A-10 and J-10 from Big Bad Toy Store.

I've only opened the A-10 and will download my first picture to share, but it is GREAT! Much bigger than I expected and it dwarfs a Cobra Rattler. The missiles / bombs are nice, and I like the ground crew guy (can we have more of him please????).

It is sturdy like many of the other PTE vehicles, and a nice blend of big boy toy and kids toy. If the SU-27 is anything close to the A-10 it is probably a good deal. The challenge will be its scale.

I love the jeeps and their humvees, as well as their buildings (tower, HQ, and "tatooine" slave quarters set). Their little bird was really a notch above those, and the A-10 is nice.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 am

tpa05 wrote:Does anyone already have an SU-27 and can give a critique as to it's quality? I have an F-18 and it still sits in the attic as I wasn't very pleased with the quality. My intention is to build it into something else but just haven't gotten to it.

I got the SU-27 recently from BBTS. As I expected, it's way underscale and fairly toyish. The biggest plus to me is that it came with lots of missiles, three or four different varieties, and spots to hang them on the wings and fuselage.

Here's a review I found online. Bet you it was done by someone on this board -

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-t ... anker.html

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:31 pm

New chinese antiterrorist tank: It seems to be a complete new mold when compared to the previously released Type 92 Tank. According to the picture I've got from Melvin in this board (ref. http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =3&t=27772 ), it could be a little bit shorter than the 1st version.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 pm

There's another picture of it here:

http://www.puzzleanimation.com/newsmain ... ews2012003

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 am

hm..

the power team stuff has been kinda lame for the last couple of years. They need to make some more exciting things, like the chinese tank and ifv they came out with a few years ago. This white and pink thing looks like a bath tub toy.

more chinese weapons would be welcomed as many of them are copes of russian stuff anyway. A surface to air missile launcher of some kind would be cool. Come on, power team, time to kick it into gear.. :)

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 am

Yes, the white type 92 looks really toyish. Need a mat repaint, weathering, metallic radio antennas... One of the 2 turrets gun might be able to throw a small missile, but if so, it is probably too big as many functionnal missile launchers from PTE. I'm sorry that I couldn't get the precise length and width, to compare with the green camo PTE. Finally, I'm not sure it is smaller, it could be an effect of the zoom with which it has be pictured. Any help from a member who currently read chinese?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:50 pm

i really doubt its any different in size. it's almost certainly just a repaint with a different turret plopped on top

Melvin
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Melvin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:12 am

Hi guys, I have full stock of 1:18 Chinese militay vehilcles,planes,boats and soldiers,PTE. I am sure you will not miss anything you like since I have good connection with the producer in China. If you are interested in pls drop me a message or send mail to [email protected], then I will send you full photos and quote. I have shipped many boxes to USA,Australia,Europe etc including members here in the past months. Thank you for your concern!
Big fun with 1:18!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm

sure is handy having Power Team at Big Bad Toystore now. I needed another chinese IFV for a custom project and was stuck how to get one until i remembered BBTS.

Cost more than big lots, but they dont' have any right now and it was far cheaper than ebay options.

Karl Dak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Karl Dak » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Do any of you predict that Big Lots will have a surge of items for Christmas this year? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed - still need a bridge.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 am

I think they'll get a normal surge in... An early order, and a later fall order. Usually how it has panned out.

Good to see you using the BBTS route Aferg, as they'd asked sponsor sites for their input and I really pushed it to them to carry PTE. I actually linked them to here so they could see its popularity, showed some pics of how I use the stuff too, for Star Wars.

They liked that it seemed.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Has anyone done any Big Lots recons yet? Late July to early August is when Power Team items have started showing up in Big Lots over the past few years.

Karl Dak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Karl Dak » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Negative - shelves have been extremely dry lately. Just a few leftovers from last years mdse.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Nothing here either.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Nothing here as of last Wednesday.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm gettin' itchy.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:06 pm

itchy for what, man? There isn't one new Power Team item coming out this year.