Is the end of new 1:18 scale coming soon?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

xd

Post by kevrut » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:23 am

Thanks for the reply TKO & SKI.
Welcome JoeS.
If the F-15 is done, do you think the F-14 would be somewhere in the works down the road? Might take a little more tooling with the moving wings.
I'd like to see the F4 and A-10first.

JoeS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JoeS » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:45 am

Teamski, Thank you for the warm welcome mate. Yes can confirm the Classic Warbird Corgi box for the checkerboard Corsair. This was a surprise for me too as I thought this line was exclusively for British/Allied and Axis aircraft. Not sure if this is a revival by Corgi, suspect it might be the last release perhaps, not certain. Yes I too had visited the Hendon museum, all they had was the Spitfire S1 Borough of Lambeth, wanted the P-40 in RAF colours which they didn't have. Well it worked out I suppose as I have one now. Was not intending to get the Corsair as I have pre-ordered the BBi version and have the S1 Kepford release. Suppose I got caught up in the RIAT airshow furore and succumbed. Thanks also for the alternative suppliers, I hadn't heard of Langleys.

On the subject of the F-15, I concur with the sentiments of other members, yes don't hold your breadth on it given past rumours. It's also a dream of mine to own the F-4 or an A-6 in 1/18, now that would be something. Imagine an F-4 in Sundowner markings or the Steve Ritchie Vietnam camo version. Indeed the F-15 would be one hunk of heavy plastic it would require a tailored box. I just wonder about the tooling and packaging costs and how it translates into a final retail price. One thing I did recall Paul telling me was that he would be shortly going to visit BBi's manufacturing base in China to setup direct distribution with them for importing to the UK. I'll see him again at the Biggin Hill airshow and will pose the question of the F-15 to him then.

I love the WW2 planes and the news of the Zero bodes well for future releases. However a few more modern jets would be a nice to have. How about the Harrier AV-8 (there was a rumour on that if I can recall correctly?) or an F-14 maybe (again another rumour), or the F-22 Raptor, or dare I venture by saying the A-10... :?:

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

The end of 1/18?

Post by holensock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:13 am

If sales on 1/18 are slow, maybe it's because in many parts of the country, like here in the Cleveland, Ohio area, you just can't find ANY XD on the shelves! Being a collector, I'm forced to buy it online, but for the average customer who walks down that aisle and sees nothing, no potential new customers! How many times have you walked down an aisle and saw something you never heard of, or saw before, and thought, 'Hey, this is neat! I gotta get one!' All of a sudden, a new customer! But with nothing on the shelves...no sales.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:50 pm

An F-15? That would be a tough one. I don't have the space, but then again, one of my first projects was designing a goodie for use on the F15s. I feel for all you AC guys who collect one of each. Better start negotiating for more display space in your households.

And even if its just a rumor, its still fun to ponder.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:56 pm

I'm going to need to build a warehouse for all this stuff they are coming out with!
:D

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:22 pm

I agree. I'm trying to hang a Pave Hawk, Spitfire (ZPA), two P-47s (Snortin Bull & Blonde Angel), two F-104 Starfighers, and a Me-109 G-6... and it's getting very very tough.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:25 am

I have no problem buying more than I can display. I just schedule a hanging rotation to keep things fresh! Keep 'em coming!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 am

Teamski wrote:I have no problem buying more than I can display. I just schedule a hanging rotation to keep things fresh! Keep 'em coming!

-Ski
Thats exactly what I do with my 1:18 planes and helos - 5 stored in the attic, 3-4 in the cupboard, and 6 displayed. The helicopters store well in a cuppboard as when the blades are removed, they are quite thin, as does the Corsair with its folding wings.

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:03 pm

Marvel has jumped into the 1:18 scale market with their Super Hero/Villain catalog of characters (albeit covering their bet with a card game) with Super Showdown Hero. In about 30 days, Mattel Hot Wheels will release the 1:18 scale diecast Batman Begins Batmobile (HOT!!). Takara has released the 1:18 scale AvP (Alien vs Predator) Microman Figures (HOT!). Yujin will be producing more 1:18 scale Active Motion Models of Anime characters (Appleseed).
As more and more non-military 1:18 scale super articulated figures and vehicles hit the market, consumers will search out ways to expand their collections and dioramic imaginations.
No, 1:18 scale is not dead or dying. If bbi and/or 21st Century drop the ball, there will be others.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:23 pm

Yep, I guess if 1/18 scale fades away in the military world, one can always look to superheros and the like for their 4 inch figures.

buzzard
Corporal
Corporal

Post by buzzard » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:55 pm

tko211 wrote:I just got back into town a few hours ago.
I can personally assure all of you that NO 1:18 is not dead.

Lets recap, Avengers, New P-51, Japanese Figures, S2 marines, Starfighter, new Schemes for Bf-109 G, New Paint scheme for a P-38, ZERO, Michael Whittman Tiger, Merrill's Mauraders Vehicle & Figure assortment, Platoon, A Bridge too Far, Sahara, Skycaptain, New schemes for Panzer, Panther,

and to top it all... I heard several 21st employees talking about tooling for the F-86, and Mig 15.

So if this is dying line.... Somebody hasn't told 21st :wink:
TKO211,

Could I ask what new paint schemes are planned for the Panther? Are there any sites which have pics of these & other new schemes? Thanx!

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 pm

KAMIKAZE wrote:I'm going to need to build a warehouse for all this stuff they are coming out with!
:D

Mark
Mark,
I thought you already had one.
Todd :)

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

f-86 mig 15

Post by KAGNEW » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:30 pm

hi guys
when Ray announced the F-104 contest months ago i told him a F-86/ mig 15 combo would be great because almost every freeworld county had F-86s and almost every eastblock country had mig 15s
so he would have many different paint jobs, plus they are small enough for WM shelves, i think they listen at 21st.
if BBI does a F-15, 21st would do good to do a F-4E because it is so popular
and almost every western airforce has had or still uses it. and like F-104 minimal tooling and they could do a Navy f-4J. again a lot of paint options. lots more then a F-15.
i have 22, 1/18 planes now hanging in my game room plus 4 on shelves,+10 still in boxes waiting till i can figure where to put them on display
waiting for F-104 to come next week from Bad Cat, so some of us can't get enough

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

The Future of 1:18

Post by eddie372 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:15 pm

Ok ladies and gents, just finished reading all of your comments on the future of 1:18, particularly WW-II airplanes. I also feel very strongly about the 1:18, meaning that if and when it goes, so do I. Personally, I can't see myself mixing scales, no way!

I display my 15 WW-II models hanging from the ceiling of my master bedroom. My wife and I love to look at them all. My german fighters face one way, while my american babies face in the opposite, ready to intercept and fight. The scene is impressive and I've had many compliments as to its feeling of realism, made more so by steep angles, box formations and just the mean look of the airplanes in their 'clean' configurations.

I'd love to see a B-17 come to life in the same scale. it could be produced in three separate sections, each packed in its individual box, and each a perfect fit with the others. Is that possible? You bet!

I'm also working on installing an electric motor for the prop, a sound card and speaker with pre-recorded radial engine sound on one of my 'experimental' aircraft. It would be great if 21C would come out with such an equipped model, woudn't it?

Finally, I believe that we're colleting items which will be priceless some day, so lets keep up the faith and the suggestions for 21C, BBi and the others. I love my models and it seems to me that I'm not the only one.

So long friends!
Ed

digger

Hello

Post by digger » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:08 am

Ed, Welcome. :)
Always good to have more, er, 'enthusiasts' around :D
Sounds like a you have a very tolerant better half which must be nice. 8)

As for your comment on the B-17, I always wondered about selling a plane in 2 parts. B-25 I think would be just as cool and smaller - it could easily be 2 very cool separate pieces. I know this is all fantasy for now, but if a 1/6 Cockpit can sell, than I think the front end of a 1:18 Bomber could be a hit :) I know it's dreaming at the moment, but it would be nice. :roll: