Custom Updates Sdkfz 222 Odyssey 4-28

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Custom Updates Sdkfz 222 Odyssey 4-28

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 20, 2010 8:41 pm

I couldn't find my last custom update so I decided to make a new one.

The last one was getting long in the tooth anyway.

The majority of Indy side cars should go out tomorrow.

The last of the Humvee turrets will go out tomorrow. You can still order them :wink:
The CIP will ship on Fri
The Sherman wading trunks ship out Fri.
The last of the M4A1 hulls will ship on Fri. You can still order these as well.
The last 2 M-10's are halfway poured and they should go out next week.
When I get the Indy sidecars and M-10s wrapped up I will start on my next full build. :wink: :?
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 am, edited 43 times in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu May 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Clipped wing Spitfire? :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I second the clipped wing Spitfire.
T
Todd

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks Todd...... :D
Paul Hebert

margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by margras77 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Pm'd and money being sent for the CIPs.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Firefly parts ?

phil

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri May 21, 2010 4:09 am

Full build............ 8) Oh boy this is gonna a good one!

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri May 21, 2010 6:23 am

m5 stuart?

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Please don't do any more full builds.
Best,
-Paul

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri May 21, 2010 12:14 pm

paulpratt wrote:Please don't do any more full builds.
Why ?

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Because the boogieman will get ya.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
paulpratt wrote:Please don't do any more full builds.
Why ?
i think his wallet is hurting

so tempted
whats up doc....

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 pm

That is simply my opinion though. I know many people love your full kits, i would love to have a 222, but i think personally, that those projects are simply to grand a scale for any long term success for you or the nature of this aspect of the hobby. But i don't have any information on your revenue and margin, I'm just assuming from the general impressions you've given us over the months/ years.

Full builds seem like an enormous waste of time and resources for you. Honestly, i think it's a waste of cash for the consumer. Not for your hardships to create such great works, but any company can roll in and destroy one of your large revenue streams if they chose too. I think due to the nature of creating a full resin kit you price yourself way out of the preferred market (understandably, but still a tough decision).

I think this is more of a detriment to the hobby and your business. The projects are too large for the boutique market you have now. I think more can be accomplished for the hobby with add-ons, modifications, and partial conversions and more time should be spent there. You should work like the companies that develop add-ons for 1:35 model kits and the like. Your recent Humvee turret was an incredible demonstration of how desperately the 1:18 market needs boutique add-on companies. Again, i don't have hard numbers, but it seems like that project was very successful for you.

If you did only one full build annually that may not be too bad, but build other modifications for it too, maybe? For instance the 222 could have the large tubular antenna that goes around the top, or instead of a 20mm canon we could get a machine gun there. Or maybe you could make an optional interior?

These additional add on projects would also promote further sales of existing products, while giving people who already own the piece a value added proposition to spend more money with you. The extended time available for us poor folk to get a premium kit like the 222 would be beneficial as well.

Just some random thoughts. Please don't perceive them as hostile. I love your work and I've given you several hundred dollars of my money, the ultimate compliment. :P
Best,
-Paul

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 pm

I know, the full kits can be hard on the wallet. But, considering the time and effort put into them and the fact that the big companies are not putting much out there for 1:18 collectors these days. I don't see a couple of hundreds bucks for a kit as being a hard sell. I think they could be marketed, better. Unfortunatly, not enough people know about PH's wonderful kits. I personally, can't wait to see what PH has in store for us next.

Keep up the great work.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat May 22, 2010 7:10 am

Speaking of full builds, I want a B-25 bomber. :(

- Jeff

normandy

Full Builds

Post by normandy » Sat May 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I respectfully disagree. If it weren't for the guy's that do customs, add on's or full builds, This hobby (1:18th) would be dead! Not much new coming out from the big guys!
People like Pickelhaube, the Hun, Grunt and others ask what we want... and they produce it. Something the big guys should take notice of!
I don't think anything made by customizes is a detriment to the hobby! But rather a positive sign that this scale is still alive and needing more products!
I'm Thankful that they are so talented.

These guy's are doing it for the hobby!...
Normandy

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Full Builds

Post by paulpratt » Sat May 22, 2010 7:45 pm

normandy wrote:I respectfully disagree. If it weren't for the guy's that do customs, add on's or full builds, This hobby (1:18th) would be dead! Not much new coming out from the big guys!
People like Pickelhaube, the Hun, Grunt and others ask what we want... and they produce it. Something the big guys should take notice of!
I don't think anything made by customizes is a detriment to the hobby! But rather a positive sign that this scale is still alive and needing more products!
I'm Thankful that they are so talented.

These guy's are doing it for the hobby!...
Normandy
I never said not to produce anything, quite the contrary. The add-ons and conversion kits all for more to be produced at a faster rate, and for less money.

As i said a single, full a build annually wouldn't be so bad either. This would make the releases more special anyway and allow people to acquire them if the piece is offered year round. Again, adding upgrades for the full build would be a great way to drum up business on all fronts.

Let's just not make it a regular thing.
Best,
-Paul

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat May 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Clipped wing Spitfire! :D
Paul Hebert

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 pm

paulpratt wrote:That is simply my opinion though. I know many people love your full kits, i would love to have a 222, but i think personally, that those projects are simply to grand a scale for any long term success for you or the nature of this aspect of the hobby. But i don't have any information on your revenue and margin, I'm just assuming from the general impressions you've given us over the months/ years.

Full builds seem like an enormous waste of time and resources for you. Honestly, i think it's a waste of cash for the consumer. Not for your hardships to create such great works, but any company can roll in and destroy one of your large revenue streams if they chose too. I think due to the nature of creating a full resin kit you price yourself way out of the preferred market (understandably, but still a tough decision).

I think this is more of a detriment to the hobby and your business. The projects are too large for the boutique market you have now. I think more can be accomplished for the hobby with add-ons, modifications, and partial conversions and more time should be spent there. You should work like the companies that develop add-ons for 1:35 model kits and the like. Your recent Humvee turret was an incredible demonstration of how desperately the 1:18 market needs boutique add-on companies. Again, i don't have hard numbers, but it seems like that project was very successful for you.

If you did only one full build annually that may not be too bad, but build other modifications for it too, maybe? For instance the 222 could have the large tubular antenna that goes around the top, or instead of a 20mm canon we could get a machine gun there. Or maybe you could make an optional interior?

These additional add on projects would also promote further sales of existing products, while giving people who already own the piece a value added proposition to spend more money with you. The extended time available for us poor folk to get a premium kit like the 222 would be beneficial as well.

Just some random thoughts. Please don't perceive them as hostile. I love your work and I've given you several hundred dollars of my money, the ultimate compliment. :P
Hey Paul,

I do see were you are coming from .

The 4 best things about our beloved 1/18 XD are /were.
1. Size
2. Cheapness
3. Fully painted ready to play with.
4. Availability

1. Size.
Now the only thing the XD has going for it is the size. Now that may be a deterent as well. The larger size eats up space QUICKLY.

2. Cheapness.
I know you may not believe it ( as many people do )but I do try to keep my costs as cheap as possible. There are a few guys out there who charge more than what I do and they even make more money than I do making my kits.

The only way to keep cost down is to sell my stuff as kits.You do have to have some modeling skills to build a resin kit. More so than a standard injection moulded kit such as Tamiya. Which by the way charge twice as much as I do in their 1/16 scale.

3.Fully painted ready to play with.
This has never been a selling point with the stuff I have made in the past.My skills are in the build.That is the part of this hobby I enjoy. Even as a kid I would build a kit put the decals on it and as far as I was concered done !!!

Times they are a changing. My Humvee kit and sidecar were/ are HUGE successes. I have sold and am selling quite a few of them. Man I have bee busy making them. I am so busy making the kits that I really do not have the time to finish and paint any. But a lot of customers are wanting them finished. So much that they are going to others to them build and paint my kits.This is revenue that I am missing out on.
So for that reason things are going to change in the near future.I am going to address the painting and building of my kits ASAP so I can offer a turn key project for those who would want it.
Others are doing it I might as well. :wink:

4. Availability.
I enjoy building aircraft and armor alike. It seems as of late that I am favoring the armor. I am in a kind of a comfort zone by making them. In some ways it is a little easier to build a tank than an airplane.It is actually a trade off. Planes have bigger parts but there are less of them. Tanks MORE parts smaller sizes. Plane moulds are more expensive because they are BIGGER. The 2 moulds for my P-36 fusalages are as big as a loaf of bread :shock: :shock:

Getting back to armor the last 2 " new " p[ices are armor that have come out are the 2 Panthers. Old moulds new paint. That is it.
Yes All Go ?21st has been tempting us with the Jagdpanther and Tiger II for years. I still do not have one in my hands.

I have a set of guys who by hook or crook buy everything that I make.These handfull of guys can not wait for the full builds. Some of them have said that if were not for me they would have gotten out of the hobby a long time ago.
But a lot of guys do not have the money for my full builds so I do the short kits to try to make EVERYBODY happy.

I work almost 7 days a week trying to fill orders and make new products. I have the next few months planned out for my mods so I can make as much product available . So everybody , with deep AND shallow pockets have available to them our beloved XD .
Sorry for the long rant. You have been a very good customer and I hope to keep you on.But I feel that I need to do both full builds and short kits to try and keep EVERYBODY HAPPY.

BTW

Everything I have built in the past have been huge successes.
Except 2.
Sagami mounts
V-1 dolly
The biggest seller has been the Pavehawk kits. I have passed 100 sold kits. I am proud to say that is my biggest seller. BUT MAN THEY ARE A LOT OF WORK. SOMEDAY I WILL QUIT B1TCHING ABOUT MAKING THEM. Probably not :oops:

Those by the way are the only things that I have sold fully painted ready to play with. That speaks volumes.

Thanks for the time,

Matthew

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Matthew, B1tch all you want, so long as you keep the great stuff coming. :D LOL Without all of the great stuff you, GRUNT and the HUN come up with we would have nothing to look forward to in 1/18 - Thanks for all of your great kits. - A.J.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sat May 22, 2010 8:58 pm

When are you going to do an aircraft full kit. Something like the clipped wing Spitfire people are mentioning?
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Airacobra wrote:When are you going to do an aircraft full kit. Something like the clipped wing Spitfire people are mentioning?
It looks like the popularity of the clipped Spitfire came back.

My next full build was going to be a piece of armor with the Firefly kit before durring or after. It all depends how I can fit it in.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 27, 2010 2:09 pm

OK Guys,

By next Tuesday I will have ALL of the ordered sidecars shipped !!!

I also need to build a couple M-10s and they should go out Tues as well.
I will do another short kit before I do my full build.

It will be a Firefly. The kit should contain

Correct muzzel break
main gun and mantlet
radio basket
turret hatch
radio box
hull mg cover
cleaning rods
Brit style fire ext.

As an option I will cast the M-4 turret shell and if there is interest cast a rear deck M-4 and maybe the M-4A4 rear deck.

I hope I got the M-4A4 right. Or should it be the M-4A2? I have forgotten and need to look it up. :oops:

They only used 2 kinds of the Shermans.

NOT COUNTING THE HYBRID.

:wink:

Any more interest ?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 27, 2010 5:25 pm

pickelhaube wrote: Any more interest ?
Actually, yes. I was just thinking of how I could turn an FOV Sherman into a Firefly. Its got the correct hull and turret, more or less. This sounds like the way to go :D

BTW, I got your sidecar kit earlier this week and love it. It will be a fun build :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm

pickelhaube wrote:OK Guys,

By next Tuesday I will have ALL of the ordered sidecars shipped !!!

I also need to build a couple M-10s and they should go out Tues as well.
I will do another short kit before I do my full build.

It will be a Firefly. The kit should contain

Correct muzzel break
main gun and mantlet
radio basket
turret hatch
radio box
hull mg cover
cleaning rods
Brit style fire ext.

As an option I will cast the M-4 turret shell and if there is interest cast a rear deck M-4 and maybe the M-4A4 rear deck.

I hope I got the M-4A4 right. Or should it be the M-4A2? I have forgotten and need to look it up. :oops:

They only used 2 kinds of the Shermans.

NOT COUNTING THE HYBRID.

:wink:

Any more interest ?
Don't forget the gun locker on rear deck.

I am in for parts to finish mine.

phil