Blue Box--no airplanes for 2010

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Blue Box--no airplanes for 2010

Post by dragon53 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:39 am

From Badcat's blog:

" Blue Box Announces Zero Aircraft Production for 2010

I just received an email from a high ranking BBI employee stating, "Hong Kong has no plan making anymore planes at this time. I hope you still have some of our planes around for keepsake."

That is truly disappointing. BBI owns a dandy 1:18 Me-109G tooling that has only been used once! I've been pushing for a Hartmann black tulip-nosed version (just like the one in the picture only better) for several months but it looks like no dice. We know that demand isn't what it was a few years ago, but geez, come-on, it isn't zero, for heaven's sake. With all the investment already made in nice toolings like this one, how much muscle would it take to produce an S2?

When I discuss risk vs reward theory, this is what I'm talking about, guys. A popular scheme, not yet produced in this scale, painted on a sharp, new, bought-and-paid-for tooling. Lots of upside with very little downside risk. This is 1:18 Manufacturing and Marketing 101 at its most basic level!! It's like my old Pre-calc high school class waking-up, coming to school, and suddenly being unable to perform basic arithmetic. Argghhhh! BBI, if you can't even get a project like this off the ground, why bother even having a US office or a phone for that matter?

I know many of you have had your fill of 109s and want new toolings, and so do I. But this kind of reminds me a little of football. All the fans come to the game to see the big-play, hail-Mary, like the F-14 bomb that was dropped in the end zone in December. But sometimes a simple full-back up the middle for two yards and a first down is the proper call. Not very exciting mind you, but the right move at the time. The little 1:18 Hartmann project would be just such a play. It would almost certainly be a guaranteed but limited success. More importantly it would keep the ball moving and allow us to get to the next step. But, BBI and others either can't or won't even bother to snap the ball.

Some days I just don't get it . . . OK, extra dose of blood-pressure medicine for me today."

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 am

Time to start calling and mailing BBI!

Basic repaints would be nice... The F-18, F-16, and Bf-109 would all sell. That Hartmann scheme sounded beautiful. yeesh...

digger

oh?

Post by digger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 am

No, no - another 109G was a great idea..

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 am

:(

I don't get it. I think any F-16, F-18, 109, Hellcat or Zero repaint would do quite well, especially considering the prices the two jets command on ebay. I missed out on the 109 at retail price but I figured I would get another shot at it. Oh well, they obviously have experience in this market and know things we don't. Hopefully they will reconsider or decide to release some 1/18 aircraft next year.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 am

disappointing.

i disagree with the statement that 1/18 aircraft are less popular now. I think more and more people are coming into this hobby all the time. Hence the huge prices on ebay.

The problem was a few years ago, nobody knew about these big planes. Overtime many people have discovered them and are hooked.

Hopefully in time BBI will get back in the frey. The good news is that this will free up ALL GO to make what they want, without having to worry about what somebody else might do.

That was the old stand off we had a few years back where everyone was afraid somebody else was going to make what they plan to make and so nothing got made at all.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 am

We already have our new BBI plane... The F-14! It might have been executed by JSI but make no mistake, all the pre-production work is BBI.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:26 am

the news keeps getting worse
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

WW2birdlover
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WW2birdlover » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 am

That was just a lame move by BBi! I for one would be down for a Hartmann G-6, black tulip-nosed or not. C'mon, he's the ace of all aces for Christ's sake! I missed out on the Rall G-6 from 21st and would like to own a 109 that flew in the Eastern front, so this would've been the perfect opportunity.

BBi, All-Go is giving us boobies so please give us some "Bubi"!

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:30 am

All-Go please give us the A-10
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

Bummer. :(
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Meh. I'm thinking about clearing out my entire 1/18 collection soon. I just realized I get much more enjoyment out of 1/72 diecast planes. There's variety and constant releases. I'm lucky if I buy one 1/18 plane at all in one year.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 pm

I am not surprised I heard that last year from a retailer that BBi was dropping out of the 1/18th game for an uncertain amount of time.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Perhaps they made a deal to stay on the bench for a year with other companies? A more profitable deal:)

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Hate to hear BBI may be out for a while longer, but the economy is still slow, so no big surpise. I just hope we can get at least one new 1/18 plane in 2010, assuming AllGo comes through with their P-51. Anything more than that, in my mind, is a bonus!
Thanks, to Rob, for the "heads up"...

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I hate to say it but this was inevitable. Gone are the good old days of absurdly low prices on these huge models but I'm not sure the consumer understands that yet, so BBI and probably Admiral too will sit it out for a year or two and All-Go! will take a stab and producing a smaller production run collector-oriented aircraft at the market's prevailing costs and see if the collector consumer is willing to go along, or balks.

Make no mistake, all eyes are on the All-Go! P-51 to see what the marketplace is willing and able to support. So far I am not impressed.

The F-14 also would have a very good bellweather but JSI had to go and screw that one up making it difficult to determine why it wasn't better received - problem with price or lame paint scheme?
Last edited by coreystinson on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

i still perceive a significant part of this scale is that not enough people are aware of it. If there was some way of getting the word out i think sales would pick up sharply.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

I was hoping BBI would release more of their impressive 1/32 planes, too, but unfortunately....

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Well who pays the expenses while they sit out for a year? Same with AT, there still has to be employees, unless they were all old retired volunteers.

How do you pay people with no sales??

New product creates sales, regardless of the economic times. In my website business, new product always creates interest for the new stuff and old. IMO too many repaints kills the interest.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

bbi is a gigantic company. 1/18 has never even been a drop in the bucket to them. They won't even notice it's gone.

As for AT, i imagine they exist only in name at the moment.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Stug45 wrote:All-Go please give us the A-10
I second this!!!!!.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 am

aferguson wrote:i still perceive a significant part of this scale is that not enough people are aware of it. If there was some way of getting the word out i think sales would pick up sharply.
On this note, I've always been surprised that the planes haven't been showing up at more airshows for sale. I think you are right.

I've been to a few where *one* person has a tent or pickup selling a few planes. Similarly, I would think the European market would also do well despite the large size (which is usually a no-no in the world of trains).

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:08 pm

MCalamari wrote:On this note, I've always been surprised that the planes haven't been showing up at more airshows for sale. I think you are right.
This is hearsay, I heard that one airshow wanted $4,000 for a vendor booth. I don't know what the typical rate is, but if that's true, I would think it would be financially risky and difficult just to break even.
Last edited by skypirate on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 am

25th Anniversary GI Joe brought a ton of people into 1:18 thru pure nostalgia. The updated figures led the new adult collectors looking for some updated vehicles and they all found bbi and Unimax in the stores. This is the reason those dang jets and helos have hit stupid prices on ebay. They were being cleared out of Target just before the new collectors were fully aware, so now they are all playing catch-up. If you want the market to continue growing, you need to post pictures of all your purdy modern vehicles at the Joe sites to insure every newcomer has a chance to see them. Don't fill the threads with WWII, that just scares them off. Hook them with the modern, then eat their souls with the WWII.
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!