21st century toys U.S. jeep???

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Volksdeutsch
Sergeant
Sergeant

21st century toys U.S. jeep???

Post by Volksdeutsch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 am

ive been trying to find one of the 2 U.S. jeeps in 1/18 does anyone know if these were ever really available? they seem very hard to find

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:32 am

Gate made a great Jepp in 1:18.

You can still find these for good price.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:44 am

The 21c XD 1:18 Jeeps were available, but like all early 21c items, they were a TRU exclusive and were out only a relatively short time in the 2000-2001 timeframe. There was also only one variation - the whitewashed Battle of the Bulge version, which was hard to find as well. I think that was also sold at TRU and may have been a 21c fanclub exclusive as well. The jeeps were never again re-released at Wal Mart, the small retailers, or 21c's second stint at TRU. I also believe that the 21c Jeep and Kubel moulds may have been among those that were lost/destroyed several years ago in a factory fire.

About 5-6 years ago, it was relatively easy to find both the 21c Jeep and Kubelwagen on eBay for not much more than their original $15 retail price, but with the demise of 21c and the gradual drying up of the available 1:18 items, they are increasingly hard to find.

As Fritzkrieg noted, Gate makes a very nice 1:18 jeep that can be found with relative ease and for a 1:18 jeep that won't break the bank, that would be the route I would go :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Are the Gate jeeps diecast?

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Where are can a Gate jeep be found?

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm

I've picked up a number of both the 21c and Gates jeeps on eBay -- even snagged at least one of each MIB. They're relatively rare, but they do pop up.

Note there are some odd Gates versions (the one with Beetle Bailey figures in it, for instance) that with a little work look very good alongside other 1/18 stuff.

I suggest you use the search terms "1:18 Willys Jeep" and "1:18 WWII Jeep" -- that's what I did when I was building up my collection. You'll get a couple of hits a month. "1:18 Jeep" won't work, though, as you'll get a zillion modern SUVs.

Expect to pay at least $40 for either kind out of the box on average. I've gotten some for less, though by being patient.

trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by trigger1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm

The Gate jeep has a working steering wheel and is a really nice heavy duty vehicle. The 21C version is a tad smaller and a bit fragile, but does have an MG. 21C jeeps and Kubels are selling for ridiculous prices right now. If you are willing to stray from 21C than I would say the Gate is a great option.
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:02 pm

The Gate Jeep is diecast metal except for rubber wheels and as been said the front wheels turn with the steering wheel.

One on eBay right now but very overpriced compared to what it was originally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-die-cast-Willy ... 2809275536

Besides the regular Jeep, Gate made one with Beetle Bailey, the Sarge and Otto in the Jeep and another with Laurel and Hardy in the Jeep. The same numbers appear on all three Jeeps.

An etailer cleared out their stock of Gate Jeeps some years ago and anybody interested on this forum cleaned them up at $5 apiece.

I personally think the Gate Jeep is hands down better than 21C.

There is a new one manufacturer called UT but I have no idea about that one. A few of them are on eBay now.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I would like to have a 1:18 jeep and kubelwagen, but the ebay prices are crazy, hopefully someone will release one that is reasonable.

As far as a gate I have'nt found any retailers that have one.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 pm

You won't find any retailers that have any Gate Jeeps.. Your best hope is waiting for one to pop up on eBay or right here in BST. Last year I found the Beatle Baily Gate Jeep on eBay for $15, to complete my Gate set of three, you only have to be patient.

Good luck.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

PLASTICFANATIC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PLASTICFANATIC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 am

I realy can recomend the Gate WW2 Jeep, I did weathered and use one of them in a diorama of mine and can say they are quite accurate in scale,chassis representation and detail, compared to the original 21st C.T. offering which is quite simplified in chassis/suspension detail.

The UT jeep version is in my very personal opinion a almost full clone of the GATE one and a "little more expensive" depending on the seller.

If you can find any of these two at a good price, you will not be disapointed as other fellow members have said about the Gate version and again in my personal opinion...the UT models.

compfire
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by compfire » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:24 pm

I have 2 gate jeeps (NIB) that I would be willing to sell for $35 + shipping each. PM if interested.

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

metal jeep

Post by binder001 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 am

THere was also a diecast WW2 Jeep (from Maisto?) in 1:18 that has the canvas top up. I have one sitting on the shelf waiting for its chance in the display case.

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

do a google images search for 1/18 solido jeep and you'll see the roof-up jeep, the SAS jeep, and the french fire jeep they made. The roof-up is really nice but needs weathering (as do they all). The SAS is a decent start but the gear and rear .50 cal are junk. The fire jeep is interesting if you were doing an airfield or something. The Gate is really nice, wish I'd stoked up on more of them when that guy had them for $5 each years ago.
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 am

CENT-ONE wrote:do a google images search for 1/18 solido jeep and you'll see the roof-up jeep, the SAS jeep, and the french fire jeep they made. The roof-up is really nice but needs weathering (as do they all). The SAS is a decent start but the gear and rear .50 cal are junk. The fire jeep is interesting if you were doing an airfield or something. The Gate is really nice, wish I'd stoked up on more of them when that guy had them for $5 each years ago.
Well, I discovered the hard way that, as awesome as it looks, the solido canopied jeep is USELESS for figures.

Forget 21st Century, the thing can't even hold Indiana Jones figures.

Sigh....

You think I would have learned my lesson not to buy these kinds of tiny-ass vehicles after my kubelwagen experience of a year or so ago....

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:54 am

You could get the Danbury Mint diecast WWII Jeep, though I believe it's 1:16.

I have one and it's very nice. The detail is very good, and my 1:18 figures fit in it rather nicely.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Dauntless wrote:You could get the Danbury Mint diecast WWII Jeep, though I believe it's 1:16.

I have one and it's very nice. The detail is very good, and my 1:18 figures fit in it rather nicely.
That looks awesome.

And staggeringly expensive.

Will have to pass, but thanks for the info.

What about the 21c Willys Jeep? From appearances, it fits figures....

I'm just worried the one figure it comes with is ridiculously underscaled, like the kubel driver.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah they are pricey, though you might be able to get a good deal auction as it's not as well known.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec