the psychology of scale collecting

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

the psychology of scale collecting

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am

i've often wondered about the psychology behind collecting scale models and especially about people who will only collect one scale versus people who will collect multiple scales, or for whom the scale isn't even really important.

We have both types on these forums. There are those, like myself, who sticks steadfastly to 1/18 scale (albeit for me i stray a bit up and down in scale occassionally but for the most part i'm diehard 1/18) and those who collect multiple scales and often have the same subjects in widely different scales (which is something that really mystifies me).

A trained psychiatrist may have some interesting insights to share on this. Perhaps people who stick rigidly to one scale are control freaks who are trying desperately to build their own little universe, in which, everything has to be to scale, of course. And maybe the multi scale collectors are scatter brains unable to commit and focus in life. :lol:

I'd be interested in hearing from different members as to why you stick with one scale, or conversely why sticking to one scale isn't really important to you and how you deal with the chaos of things not being in scale with each other. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 am

I tried collecting both 1/18 and 1/32 scales. 1/32 has a greater variety and more to collect, but you can't pose the figures! That is my biggest hang up with 1/32 (IMHO).
So, the 1/32 items I have had, I have sent sold or traded away.
I only like 1/18 scale (or close to it) to collect.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 am

A very interesting topic.
Like you, I strictly collect 1/18 aircraft. Why? Because I am very satisfied with their overall quality and - what only 1/18 aircraft have - because of the expression in the face of anyone entering a room full of huge plastic models hanging from the ceiling 8)

That is what I find so amazing. Moreover, I strictly stick to only one scale because it might get confusing when you have all these different aircraft in all these different scales... I wouldn't like to explain everybody that this Mustang is 1/18, and the one over there is 1/48...
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am

REAL collectors don't worry over scale, as a matter of fact scale wasn't an issue 50 or 60 years ago. Scale only matters to those who want their collection to size up.

I personally don't care if I have a 1/18th scale M48 sitting next to a 1/16th Pershing. The size difference doesn't bother me and is easily answered if someone asks.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:33 am

im like aferg
:D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 am

well you've basically restated my question, Panther F. Why is it that some people want their collections to 'size up' while others, like you, don't care about scale differences?

Why doesn't it bother you that the Pershing is 12% bigger than it should be in comparison to the 1/18 tank it's beside?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 am

I only collect 1/32 for two reasons:

1) I like consistency among all my vehicles;

2) Space considerations

I do admit to having a few 1/18, but other than my Panther (I couldn't resist the Monkey's call) and the troops riding it, my planes will be sold as their smaller cousins become available/built by me.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 am

and i guess an addendum to this is for those who only collect 1/18 'or close to it' scale.....what do you consider close to it? Because i guess technically, if it's 'close it it' and not 1/18, you collect multiple scales.

I ask because some won't dream of straying even a tiny bit from their scale, while others will stray a bit within their own defined 'limits' and others will go all over the place.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 am

I'm certainly no phychologist, but the collecting, in general, could have something to do with both ingrained psychological predilections and seemingly unrelated influences in our lives.

Perhaps collecting comes as a reaction against various social pressures and becomes a substitute for perhaps a more productive behavior. For example, peer pressure plays a strong role in a community like ours. We see others get and enjoy new items and so we feel the need to get it too, just to fit in. Competitive social behaviors also play a role. Notice how a lot of respect goes towards those members that have the largest collections and then how many others seemingly try to top those collections in terms of size. Further, a sense of need and belonging may also work towards our collecting habits. We all seek a general level or acceptance and approval. While some may not find that in real life, they seem to get it in an online community. After all, how many of us enjoy bragging about being the first to get a new item and enjoy getting all the feedback about it?

Add to that the fact that collecting tends to become something like a drug. We feel good (get a "high") when we find what we want at Wal Mart or that long-awaited package arrives on the doorstep and at some deep level want to repeat that feeling. Thus, we keep looking for something new and find it very hard to stop collecting. (This is likely how many of us wind up with rooms, attics and basements filled with various items). Perhaps collectors have something of a psychological predilection towards addictive behaviors, just that instead of alcohol, cigarettes, or sex, we have chosen toys.

Again, I'm no psychologist, and a lot of what I've just posted are ramblings, but social pressures and addictive behaviors may may go some way towards explaining why we do what we do.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I'm certainly no phychologist, but the collecting, in general, could have something to do with both ingrained psychological predilections and seemingly unrelated influences in our lives.

Perhaps collecting comes as a reaction against various social pressures and becomes a substitute for perhaps a more productive behavior. For example, peer pressure plays a strong role in a community like ours. We see others get and enjoy new items and so we feel the need to get it too, just to fit in. Competitive social behaviors also play a role. Notice how a lot of respect goes towards those members that have the largest collections and then how many others seemingly try to top those collections in terms of size. Further, a sense of need and belonging may also work towards our collecting habits. We all seek a general level or acceptance and approval. While some may not find that in real life, they seem to get it in an online community. After all, how many of us enjoy bragging about being the first to get a new item and enjoy getting all the feedback about it?

Add to that the fact that collecting tends to become something like a drug. We feel good (get a "high") when we find what we want at Wal Mart or that long-awaited package arrives on the doorstep and at some deep level want to repeat that feeling. Thus, we keep looking for something new and find it very hard to stop collecting. (This is likely how many of us wind up with rooms, attics and basements filled with various items). Perhaps collectors have something of a psychological predilection towards addictive behaviors, just that instead of alcohol, cigarettes, or sex, we have chosen toys.

Again, I'm no psychologist, and a lot of what I've just posted are ramblings, but social pressures and addictive behaviors may may go some way towards explaining why we do what we do.
what he said :shock:
whats up doc....

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 pm

aferguson wrote:well you've basically restated my question, Panther F. Why is it that some people want their collections to 'size up' while others, like you, don't care about scale differences?

Why doesn't it bother you that the Pershing is 12% bigger than it should be in comparison to the 1/18 tank it's beside?
It just doesn't. People collect stuffed animals, dolls and brass statues and don't seem to worry that it's not all one scale.

If you cannot get a Pershing in 1/18th, then 1/16th it is! :twisted:

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Panther F wrote: It just doesn't. People collect stuffed animals, dolls and brass statues and don't seem to worry that it's not all one scale.

Do stuffed animals come in "scales"? :P
I'm taking the opposite view, If you cannot get a Pershing in 1/18th, then build one! Although i have always been a control freak...oops...i mean scale purist.
My thinking is that my collection is like a mini museum so everthing should relate to everything else scale wise (would be weird going to an actual museum and seeing slightly larger/smaller versions of things). As a designer, I also like when things are in order and in sync. So if I ever had a 1/16th whatever next to a row of 1/18th things, the 1/16th would kinda annoy me because the "pattern " would be lost.
If I had an out of scale model (even slightly like a 1/16th tank) I would probably keep it separate from the other scales..........probably even get more 1/16th stuff to "match"
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Panther F wrote:
aferguson wrote:well you've basically restated my question, Panther F. Why is it that some people want their collections to 'size up' while others, like you, don't care about scale differences?

It just doesn't. People collect stuffed animals, dolls and brass statues and don't seem to worry that it's not all one scale.

I'm going to second this. I'd rather have a quality King Tiger at any scale than none at all. If a 1/18 scale ever comes around, I'll find a place for it.

Why? Uniform scale is secondary to the emotional need to 'have.' I'm at the mercy of the manufacturers and the market and can adapt/compromise expectations on scale. Quality, not as forgiving.

However, I do have a preference for 1/18, 1/35 and 1/72, but don't object to 1/32 and 1/48 (for aircraft). Those seem to be the established standards. I'm resistant to scales in between 1/35 and 1/72, especially for tanks.
Jay wrote:My thinking is that my collection is like a mini museum so everthing should relate to everything else scale wise (would be weird going to an actual museum and seeing slightly larger/smaller versions of things). As a designer, I also like when things are in order and in sync. So if I ever had a 1/16th whatever next to a row of 1/18th things, the 1/16th would kinda annoy me because the "pattern " would be lost.
If I had an out of scale model (even slightly like a 1/16th tank) I would probably keep it separate from the other scales..........probably even get more 1/16th stuff to "match"
Agreed, 1/16 vs. 1/18 and 1/32 vs. 1/35 is distracting. But I can accept having distinct groupings of specific scales. Such as, one shelf is all 1/72, the other is all 1/35.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

i like 1/72 best its smaller and i can get alot more items into various glass cabinets. that said i also collect 1/48 in WWI and pre WWII aircraft since there is mor variety for these in that scale. ive also begun collecting 1/144 for the big bombers my office was to packed for these in 1/72 or 1/48.

all of my 1/18 i leave in boxes since i dont have the room. with exception of a couple favorite pieces
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:17 pm

I collect 1:18 aircraft because I want to have a large model of some of my favorite aircraft.
I collect smaller (from 1:72 to 1:500) aircraft because either I do not like them enough to get them in 1:18, it is not made in 1:18, or simply because a 1:18 of it would be enormous (like a 747)
As for 1:18 cars, I used to buy only ones I liked a lot. I bought many Hotwheels cars even if I had a 1:18 version and vice versa. The Hotwheels are displayed around the 1:18's, and in their own cases. Looking back, I can tell you that I would have NOT bought about 2/3 of my Hotwheels cars, and 1:18 cars.
Overall, collecting is an addiction. Unless you get a concussion from a falling F14, there are no real physical health issues. Mentally, there are a lot. Impulse is another thing. You see something, and you buy it. You regret it a few months later.
I am a recovering collecting addict. I have seriously cut back on purchases. I have bought 1 1:18 car in the past 6 months, maybe longer. I have bought about 10 Hotwheels cars in the past 6 months. It used to be about 2 1:18 cars per month, and about 50 Hotwheels per month.
Now, I will occasionally buy small aircraft models. Even more rarely- 1:18 aircraft.
Just by 2 quarters (yeh, that was a long read I know LOL)

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I would actually stick to 1/18 if planes beside WWII warbirds were produced in masses.

I went down to 1/72 because that was the next best option for modern planes.

Now I'm considering 1/144 and even smaller because 1/72 still doesn't offer everything I want.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:02 pm

A collector is a collector is a collector.

What you collect is of primary concern to the collector.

As an adult, I collected 1/1 military vehicles (as most of you know). I collected to have fun, preserve historic vehicles and on occasion to save a vehicle from the junk heap (I was always sure somebody would want it and I was never disappointed). I had a big yard. :roll:

After my stroke, I couldn't drive standard shift, so I desired something else military to save and discovered 21C and 1/18 and moved to add 1/6 and 1/16.

Why do I collect? Nobody in my family collected anything but one of my Sisters is a doll collector (in the hundreds). Our parents grew up in the depression and their only desire was to live comfortably, they had no time, money or desire to collect anything. My Sister and I were better off and our kids are better off still and they are also collectors (my son collectors motorcycles, quads and trikes, restoring old ones and my daughter was into SW and now LOTR big time and Dr. No and the occult (vampires and witchcraft).

I think we collect because we have disposable money and our niche collections give us pleasure.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:29 pm

I dabble in all the main stream scales; 1:18, 1:32, 1:72, and 1:144. I don't bother sticking with any scale because I'm either bored waiting for something new to come out or all to often something stikes my fancy at the moment and I want to go get it.
Through all of the scales I prefer 1:18 the most because of playability, and I can also cross with other universes... or toy lines, like Marvel and G.I. Joe.
I like all the other scales too through, 1:32 for display, and 1:72 & 1:144 for greater variety that 1:18 and 1:32 can't provide.

margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by margras77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I really just got into the scale military collecting and such, but I have no plans to deviate from 1:18. I dont think it is related to being close minded, but I like the idea of compatability between items. I have a table in my bedroom that my dad build for me about 10 years ago for my....3rd birthday? It has expanded throughout the years and I love using G.I.Joe and Star Wars playsets/diorama pieces/figures/vehicles to create large dioramas. I should post some of them sometime.
Back then, using other items other than those two lines really bugged me if they were different sizes. It seemed somewhat out of place, because the dioramas were a story. Its almost like...if you put a Javelin rocket launcher in a Sword/Sorcery type novel.
The same idea applies to the 1:18th stuff I collect. I use those for dioramas and customs now.
It might not be as big a deal to those who just display their pieces on a shelf or a display case, as then it wouldn't look so out of place. But for someone who does dioramas/customs, its easier to keep things in one scale.

Actually, there has been one scale exception. I also collect the Mcfarlane Halo 3 action figure line, 'bout 5 inches tall. But thats it really.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 pm

For the first 35 or so years of my collecting, scale was unimportant. At any one time I had stuff in 1/87, 1/76, 1/72, 1/43,1/48,1/35,1/32,1/25, 1/24th, 1/18. When I discovered tanks and planes to go with my 1/18th cars, I shifted the focus of my collecting to only 1/18 stuf. I do still have the models built in other scales. I just haven't added anything new since. I like being able to compare everything size wise to each other. Plane to tank,Tank to car, car to plane with the additional figures.

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:25 pm

I guess I fall into the realm of "Scale Purist", I collect only 1:32. I'm not saying that I don't have a few oddball items that I've gathered over the years (those 1:144 tanks with a magnet glued on the bottom are great on the fridge...), but as for my actual collection, it's all 1:32.

I like the size, not too big or too small. I like that the tracks move (deal breaker for me), a feature that keeps me away from 1:72, a scale which otherwise would likely appeal very much to me, as it's a common one for both armor and aircraft.

As mentioned earlier here by another, I too like to display my pieces in a diorama-like fashion, where matching scale is much more important than in a display case. A platoon of 1:32 tanks escorting a convoy of 1:18 HMMWV's would certainly look odd. That said, I wouldn't say I'm above adding, say, a 1:35 item, but it would have to be something I didn't have any more of, as again, a convoy of 3 1:32 HMMWV's and 1 1:35 HMMWV would look odd, whereas a convoy of 1:32 HMMWV's stopping to look over a 1:35 BMP would be passable (to me anyway). I've considered using FOV 1:48 helicopters in a forced perspective type manner, but mainly just find myself running out of living room for that plan.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

cardenas
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cardenas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm

I usually pick up pieces if it is something that I like and if the price is right, regardless of scale.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I was a 1:18 collector for a while and still buy them when I can afford them or they are available, but and that's a big but, I don't see much chance of getting any multi-engine bombers made in 1:18, unless by some miracle the B-25 actually gets made.

It's not like anyone has latched on to the idea of a bomber in 1:32 either, except for maybe Revell Germany is pressing forward into that realm with the Ju-88 and soon the HE-111, but there again they are models you have to build.

I think that when you consider that maybe one day someone might get smart and start releasing big multi-engine aircraft, especially four engine heavy bombers, realistically 1:32 is as big as they are going to get.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Psychology ?

What is that ?

I collect 1/18 because it is cool.

It is better than sitting around beating my fingers with a hammer.

I bet you guys thought I was going to say something else ?

Didn't you ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

but do you collect 1/16 tanks? They're cool too. Why or why not?