1/18 SBD Dauntless coming this year!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 SBD Dauntless coming this year!

Post by hworth18 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Don't know if its been announced yet, but HobbyBoss is releasing (2) SBD Dauntless kits in 1/18 scale... Just something for you XDer's... :wink:

1:18th
81801 Douglas SBD-1/2 Dauntless
81802 Douglas SBD-3/-4 Dauntless/A-24A Banshee
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:39 pm

no pics yet?

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Any word if these might be new molds or Admirals?
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Well, guess we'll get a 1:18 Dauntless one way or another 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

YT

Post by YT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Interesting, hold on to your wallets.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:04 pm

The rumor has always been Trumpter was in a deal with Admiral on the Dauntless. My late Dad told me this years ago, and he was a award winning modeler and went to all the shows, plus he had over 10,000 hours volunteering at the pensacola naval air station in the reserach department.

If any body has built a Trumpter kit, you know how detailed they are.

Dave

JoeS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JoeS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm

scbvideoboy wrote:The rumor has always been Trumpter was in a deal with Admiral on the Dauntless. My late Dad told me this years ago, and he was a award winning modeler and went to all the shows, plus he had over 10,000 hours volunteering at the pensacola naval air station in the reserach department.

If any body has built a Trumpter kit, you know how detailed they are.

Dave
You might be onto something as Hobby Boss have been planning to release a 1/18th Dauntless kit for awhile. HB are owned I believe by Trumpeter who also produce the 1/72 Easy Model range. Time will tell, better than saying 'wait and see'....

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:45 pm

If this is the Admiral Toys dauntless it's bad news.

Pre-built $64.99 collectable, to an unassembled, unpainted kit that will be far into the triple digits. $$$

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Exactly.

I'm a little concerned about the pricing considering Trump's 1/32 line is $80+

Will have to wait and see.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:58 pm

It is not Admiral's SBD, and they have never been in negotiations with Trumpter. However, an SBD in 1:18 is a possibility by year's end if everyone gets on board... James of Admiral Toys will be discussing this in a post later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,
Jason

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:It is not Admiral's SBD, and they have never been in negotiations with Trumpter. However, an SBD in 1:18 is a possibility by year's end if everyone gets on board... James of Admiral Toys will be discussing this in a post later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,
Jason

Sweet, I still have a pre-order for 2, paid for through MTS. I wonder how this will all shake down? :shock:

Should be interesting now that everyone feels we should be shelling out $100 per plane..........
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Airacobra wrote:Should be interesting now that everyone feels we should be shelling out $100 per plane..........
I didn't sense any sarcasm in that post :wink: :lol:

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 pm

NWarty wrote:
Airacobra wrote:Should be interesting now that everyone feels we should be shelling out $100 per plane..........
I didn't sense any sarcasm in that post :wink: :lol:

:lol: I know, beating a dead horse.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Happy for you "modeler" guys, sad for those of us who aren't :cry:
Hope AT does come through, & appreciate Jason's willingness to check in from time to time and give us some idea of AT's activities!

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 pm

NWarty wrote:Exactly.

I'm a little concerned about the pricing considering Trump's 1/32 line is $80+

Will have to wait and see.
I have a few Trumpy planes

great models but expensive

But for a Dauntless I will come up with the money
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Well, love it or hate it, ebay is a source for cheap Trumpeter kits. I got my 1/32 Avenger for half retail (including shipping) and my MiG-3 for about 40% off. The MiG's a cheap kit by Trump standards anyway so I didn't get as good a deal.

If not for ebay, I would own no Trump kits as I can't justify paying over $100 for a plastic kit.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 am

Good news, but not for my. Because of my very limited kit assembly and airbrush skills, I will have to wait until there will be a pre-assembled Dauntless. :(
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 am

I'll take an SBD anyway I can get one.
Still have my order up at MTS.
I can't think of a 1:18 plane I want more.

A 1:18 kit has got to be pricey. The 1:32 Trumpeter kits are high already at retail, though cheaper at auction.

Here's to hoping All-Go has success and Admiral will get back on the bandwagon.
They had some cool 1/32 stuff in the works too.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm

$69 is still Admiral's price @ Military Toy Shop.

Geez. $69 seems so much more like a deal now; compared to more expensive releases + repaints (JSI repaints, AGT repaint, now Trumpeter).

C'mon y'all. $69 is not bad. Get onboard. I really want a new (reasonably affordable) warbird...

http://www.militarytoyshop.com/prodtype ... hCriteria=

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:42 pm

sdcc73 wrote:$69 is still Admiral's price @ Military Toy Shop.

Geez. $69 seems so much more like a deal now; compared to more expensive releases + repaints (JSI repaints, AGT repaint, now Trumpeter).

C'mon y'all. $69 is not bad. Get onboard. I really want a new (reasonably affordable) warbird...

http://www.militarytoyshop.com/prodtype ... hCriteria=
I don't think people are not "getting on board" for $69. That is an incredible price for a 1st run newly produced piece (I have one on pre-order since it was first put up on their site). There is probably a reason Admiral went on hiatus - they weren't making money. They practically had to give away the German F86 to clear inventory.
I think that the 1/18 market just isn't big enough to justify the $50-$60 price point anymore, especially for a 1st run where you have to recoup costs of molds, design, etc...
Without the Walmart and TRU crowds (non collectors) buying these for $39 for their kids to play with, there just isn't enough of us out here to make it worth their while. Hence, we probably won't see the deals we did in the past unless something is a rotten seller, which doesn't help the manufacturer anyway. I think $100 will be a minimum price point going forward, unless it is a repaint of an already used mold. Even then I don't think you'll see it break $80 unless it is $79.99 or something like that.
My 2 cents.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Admiral toys never sold their products at retail giants.

BBI's recently released Saki Zero was $50-60.

The All go P-51 re-paint is the first 1:18 scale plane to retail at $100. (Aside from the JSI F-14 and custom work)

I'd say $100 isn't the norm yet.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Even if MTS couldn't honor the $69 price point and had to raise it to $100, I would still be on board to get one.

Some (including me hopefully) are going to pay that for a re-painted P-51D.

A 1:18 SBD is worth more than a JSI F-14 IMO, though it's doubtful they could sell many for that price.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:26 pm

mountian-man wrote:Admiral toys never sold their products at retail giants.

BBI's recently released Saki Zero was $50-60.

The All go P-51 re-paint is the first 1:18 scale plane to retail at $100. (Aside from the JSI F-14 and custom work)

I'd say $100 isn't the norm yet.
I never meant to imply that AT sold at TRU or Wally. Just trying to make the point that the "market" was flooded with 1/18 stuff that wasn't selling even at the $39 price so had to get clearanced out even lower.
AT did not sell at Wally or TRU, but also had a hard time getting rid of their stuff at etailers. The AT F86s were going for $19.99 at many etailers and even at that price they were not flying off shelves. I remember seeing them at those prices for at least a couple months. And when you could get a 21st Mig or F86 from Walmart clearanced at $15 or even $10 you can't blame people for not buying the AT product at the time. Wally and TRU did a lot of damage to AT and 21st.
BBI's Sakai Zero is a repaint of their other two Zeros, so it wasn't a new mold. It also retailed for $70 at most places though now you can get it for $59. It isn't exactly flying off shelves even after most etailers lowered it by $10 from original price, so they probably aren't doing too well with that release.
My main point is you probably won't see too many new releases under 79.99. They will have to start making smaller runs at a greater price because the market isn't supporting the lower price (too many go sitting on the shelves). I think JSI is learning that lesson as well. They had a larger run than the market seems to support as there are still F 14s in stock all over the place. Only so many people are going to buy 1/18 collectibles whether they are $30 or $250 the market doesn't expand much when the price is lower as there just isn't a large fan base.
I think most of us would agree that if you see the Dauntless at $100 it is still a good deal. $69 is a no brainer.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm

It still doesn't make sense with a worldwide recession and people not buying things... to raise the prices?

Me thinks it's still a pure marketing ploy, take things away and put highly desirable items "on the shelf" and then when the fan and collector base are begging to buy something new, out comes the stuff at double the price.

How many would have bought a $200 plus 1/18 plane 3 years ago?

DH

edit I got a FREE F86 for waiting on a preorder.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Good lord.......Why stop at $100 norm for a single prop warbird. I think they should cost at least $2,000 a piece........ Please people, lets stop prematurely shooting ourselves in the foot with the whole elevated price talk. How about we just let the manufacturers put a price point on their products and see if they sell before we automatically appoint higher and higher prices on these planes. Funny how you can still find BBI planes through etailers for $60, yet people here are constantly saying we should feel blessed to pay $100 for similar releases. :roll: