hello, i'm newly registered...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

hello, i'm newly registered...

Post by mikeg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:56 pm

i'm mikeg & i am addicted to xd.. i've been visiting this site often recently and decided to register. i seek solace from others seduced by 21st cent products. i've accumulated 24 1/18 aircraft, 10 1/18 tanks, 8 1/32 aircraft, 22 1/32nd vehicles, and more misc. i bought the 109 emil at tru around 2000 and currently hit the local atlanta walmarts; the pickings are almost always good around here-the latest 1/18 and 1/32nd are in good supply. it does seem to help being close to a military installation(s). one of the walmarts has an inexplicably large selection of 1/32 wirblewinds, panzer iv, moblewagons, and the infantry-stug,panther kits. also, some bbi p-51 killers have shown up at one of the local tru. this habit is the only vice i will admit to; my son loves it, but my wife hates this stuff. how does one properly train a wife to understand this? anyway, thanks for the opportunity to brag and whine. one more thing-its good to have a basement- the mig 15, f-86, f-104, etc are on the way-
if it write too much, it's probably because i haven't spent any time posting writings on the net.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Welcome aboard! Its always great to get new members that are as addicted to this stuff as we all are! You will find that we have many interesting discussions around here pretaining to all scales of military collectables. As you may well know, the 1:18 market is kind of dry right now and may not pick up until later this year, but there are some exciting new releases out now - and upcoming - in 1:32!

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:40 pm

you're very astute with your assumptions about location considering your in nyc- interesting you mention the carded figures; i have not had any interest in the marine or jap figures, (probably because i have not seen them). i must admit i did purchase all the us paratroopers and fallschirmjager when they came out. i spoke too soon about what i thought was the availability of all the new stuff-

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Well Mike it sounds like you have a healthy habit going on there! Nice to have you on board! This is a great group of guys here and we all have a ton of fun. It really helps to pass the time in between the product releases. :D

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

hello, i'm newly registered

Post by donnieboy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:56 pm

mikeg: Welcome aboard! There is strength in numbers! You'll find this board has a tremendous collective amount of knowledge. There is always someone here who can answer your questions. The technical and historical knowledge of the folks on this board is truly astounding.
Many have prior or current military experience and all have a passion for this hobby! I'm sure you'll make valuable contributions as well. Have fun! :D
Go Starbuck!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:19 pm

Great to have you on board Mike! Its alot of fun around here trust me on that. You are among the greatest group of guys you would ever want to know.

Enjoy your stay.

:D

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Welcome Mike. Sounds like you have the wife sufficiently trained, if you have already gotten away with aquiring that much XD. :D

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:40 am

Welcome Mike !

Greetings from Belgium !

Take care.

phil

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:48 am

Welcome to the fun, Mike.

What figures did you see? 32X? Kits of Panthers and StuGs?

I'm more of a 32X guy but do have alot of XD.

As for the wife, she has an XD 1st issue Stuka. She also digs the 32X playset buildings. Did I mention that she collects Armour German airplanes?

Don't worry, your wife might come around.

Again, welcome to the boards!!

C2000
Attack!!!!

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:14 am

Welcome to the madness! :D

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum Mike. Sounds like you have been collecting for a while. Try this with your wife. Take one of your figures and put a couple of tickets to a show(comedy club,concert,theater ect.) and an invitation for a romantic night on the town without the kids. Chocolate helps too. No woman can resist this! And don't forget to tell her that you are the easiest
person in the family to shop for. Just hand her the catalog and circle the ones you don't have. I did. Good luck man.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Welcome Mike, I think you will enjoy the forum. Many interesting topics and good information. You need to remind your wife of all the other vices you do not have.
Todd

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:20 pm

Welcome Mike:

You have to ease your wife into your adiction. It took me ten years to get Wifey to like OD colored 1:1 vehicles. Toys were alot easier. After complaining about my toys spreading all over the house, I got her hooked. Started her on a 1/6 FDNY 9-11 tribute (our little guy is FDNY). I then remembered Wifey is a classic horror film fanatic and started her on a few 1/6 figures.....Frankenstein, Wolfman, Bride of Franky and her latest; The Creature from the Black Lagoon. She loves them. So what if the ratio of my toys to hers is 20 to 1......it's the thought that counts, isn't it :lol: Toys are toys.

Treat your wife like an equal..... and don't ever tell her how much is actually isvested in your 21c collection. It will only bother her pretty head. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:46 pm

Boy, you guys got it easy. My wife hates Barbie dolls so what are my chances of gettin her to like military dolls? Zero to none! Although, she does take a fancy to Hello Kitty dolls. :cry: :cry:

digger

family politics

Post by digger » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:28 am

DocTodd wrote:You need to remind your wife of all the other vices you do not have.
Todd
Exactly - I stole a line from one of the members on the old board and suggested to my gf I take up "titty-bars or drag-racing" and she settled for toys. :wink: If you're already into either of the above and don't want to give them up, think of two other vices and use those as your other options.

Oh, and as TTT said, never reveal the true cost sunk into XD....