JSI F-14 in kit form?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by rschaap » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:36 am

I received my copy of Fine Scale Modelers (Feb, 2010 issue) and on page 10 they were talking about the Hobby Expo 2009 in Rosemont. Under the AFV portion they mentioned the 1/18 scale JSI F-14 and how JSI was expected to release a kit version. Has anyone heard anything further on the subject.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 pm

1/18 F-14 in kit form?!?! Holy cow!! Think of all the possibilities!! Decals for the other squadrons who actually flew JSI's "Bombcat" configuration such as VF-154, VF-211, VF-14, and VF-41 and then it gets better.

If all the pieces truly are seperate it would much easier to scratch build to make it an earlier "A" model by fixing the NACA gun vents, shaving down the LAU-138 BOL rails to look like LAU-7 Sidewinder rails. You coould have any Tomcat from late 1977 through 1993.

Although it would be difficult but easier than what everyone has now would be to redo the exhaust fairings and nozzles to look like GE engines and we could have a "B" model. As for a "D" model, whoa....scratch building a completely different cockpit with different ejections seats would be really challenging.

Heck one could even scratch build the additions on the present beaver tail and make the old "big beaver tail", along with old style gun vents, and fill in the hole on the nose where the AOA probe goes (therby making a silver cap) and we could have pre-1978 earliest A model Cats and could do VF-1, VF-2, VF-143, VF-142, VF-211, VF-84 (with the vagabond stripes on the tail), VF-14, and VF-124. Some of the coolest schemes ever were the ones before late 1977.

As I'm thinking about this more. We could eliminate the problems with the landing gears. IF they come disassembled one could make a landing gear bay much like Century Wings 1/72 diecast does. Scratchbuild a platform and have the gears permanently attached and the platform could attach up into the wheel well with the gear doors open. Wanna display it flying mode, then take out the platform and close the doors.

Taking this further, one could make a landing configuration Tomcat. Much like Mig29K used to do on this forum he made his BBI F/A-18 into a master piece by cutting and modifying the flaps and rudders and make them functional. To do this on the `Cat cut slats and flaps and insert pivot points like Trumpeter 1/32 scale models do, and then make a cut in the nose gear and insert a spring to compress the gear since the catapult launch bar already drops.

Possibilities are endless. Best of all, Spot cat would never surface again!

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by rschaap » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:40 am

I agree with everything you are saying in your post. If in fact this is true and JSI does plan to release a kit I think it will be well received. I can picture some extremely detailed models and numerous versions.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by rschaap » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am

The more I think about the possibility of an F-14 kit release from JSI the more I like it. If some of the companies out there would produce photo-etched parts, decals and maybe some resin conversion kits, I think you can model any one of the versions from the Tomcats inception to it’s decommissioning. I hope someone out there other than me and “Black Lion VF-213" are excited about what this may lead to.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

F-14 in Kit form?Can you Say D Model

Post by wolf8564 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Oh Please if only it was that easy! :D

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Does the kit come with spot decals? :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Easy Decals???

Post by deankleines » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I just checked out the rest of these decal sets and I checked the Miss Molly ones against the JSI Cat for fit.

These look like an incredible opportunity???? Nominal Cost????

Help me out here with some feedback

Thanks,

Dean

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=89637

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

decals

Post by rschaap » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 am

I looked at the decals and I agree with you. Once I have some time to do a repaint on the F-14 I may give it a try. I like the black bunny.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33 am

I know one area that would greatly enhance this plane by being in kit form. There wouldn't be any broken pieces from the factory as all the parts would be on sprues and wrapped in plastic (hopefully). At least the tank models that I purchased from Tamiya were packaged that way to prevent damage and scratches to the larger pieces.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Quote from wolf8564 "Oh Please if only it was that easy! "

That's funny. Yeah I guess I didn't think that everyone would immediately begin cutting up there F-14's like that.

Although it would be very challenging to modify and scratchbuild parts for a 1/18 kit, it certainly would be easier on 1/18 than on smaller scale planes.

I'd like to see the quote from this Feb issue of Fine Scale Modeler magazine informing the upcoming kit.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:32 am

The more I think about JSI releasing the Cat in kit form, the more I believe that this wasn't something in their original plans for selling all the F-14's they intended to make/sell.

There was a rumor that their second paint scheme was going to be a VF-154 Black Knights since the Black Knights are very popular in the Asia area and of course here too. That may not be true anymore.

With all the criticism their model has received for paint issues and fragility, they are probably thinking that it would be cheaper and easier for them to forego assembly and paint and simply sell complete kits. That way they can thwart any criticism for their models. They can retort, “Hey you ungrateful Americans built and painted the kit, don’t look at me!!”

From reading a few of the older posts here on our awesome forum on “the total received from distributors” putting the number around 2K to 2.5K here in the US and possibly abroad as well, I don’t think JSI has made their profit on this plane yet. Considering the costs of creating, painting, assembling, and don’t forget those boxes are very expensive, I would say JSI would need to sell several thousand more to be happy.

What better way than a kit?

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

The JSI kit

Post by rschaap » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 am

In my opinion I think the kit form would be the way to go. I've been building models since I was a kid (many moons ago) and I would love to get my hands on one. I can't think of a better way to personalize a plane. You could make a showcase model that would be the flagship of your collection and have that pride that comes with knowing you built it.

I will post the article from "Fine Scale Modelers" for those who wanted to see it. As far as other companies jumping on the band wagon and offering conversion kits. I think the release of a kit would prompt companies into offering conversion parts and updates along with supplemental armaments. Anyone who builds large scale models has probably noticed that a number of companies will offer everything from metal landing gear to decals for those kits. In my past experience it only stands to reason that should the kit be released, shortly there after you will see decals and conversion parts.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 am

Hey everyone,

I just checked out the rest of these decal sets and I checked the Miss Molly ones against the JSI Cat for fit.

These look like an incredible opportunity???? Nominal Cost????

Help me out here with some feedback

Thanks,

Dean

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=89637

Awesome find Dean! Lots of possibilities if an F-14 kit is released. Also those wanting to do repaints of their F-18s or perhaps future F-15s![/quote]

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 Tomcat in kit form.

Post by mcaulk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Yes make it a kit!

Offering the big cat in kit form would be the best possible course at least from my perspective. Have contemplated disassembling my bird to detail the cockpit and rework the landing gear. This would be much easier if it came as a kit.

Mike

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Disassembly of Nose Section

Post by deankleines » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Mike,

I am very interested in doing this. I have the radar bulkhead out.

Not sure what to do next.

Any ideas?

Dean

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by rschaap » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am

I'm still waiting for some sort of verification that JSI plans on making a kit. I've already started making notes and collecting data on detailing the F-14 should they give the thumbs up on a kit. I have been considering disassembling the F-14 I have. I'm not holding my breath for the kit, however, I do have some great ideas for detailing the F-14.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 am

Ech,
Kit forum, I would rather buy it assembled with cock pit painted unless the kit is like $150 cheaper! :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 am

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:There was a rumor that their second paint scheme was going to be a VF-154 Black Knights since the Black Knights are very popular in the Asia area and of course here too. That may not be true anymore.
According to Japanese retailers it's still going to be released as a Japan exclusive. It was primarily picked for their duty at NAS Atsugi and deployments with the Kittyhawk when she was homeported in Yokosuka. It was technically the first scheme. Estimated retail overthere is approx. $330 US and the places that advertised it have more reservations for it than are available. Anxious to see one, curious if they learned anything from the spot debacle.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form

Post by rschaap » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:13 am

I saw that Fightertown Decals is in the process of making aftermarket decals for the 1/18 scale F-14 as well as the already produced decals by Skyworks Toys. I also saw that Skyworks is in the process of making replacement landing gear. If the kit does happen it looks like we will have plenty of upgrade and decal options.

I sent an email to JSI to see if I can get any word on the kit. Hopefully I will have something to pass on.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by rschaap » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 am

I have not heard anything back from JSI as of yet. I sent an email to Merit Int'l to see if they had any word on the kit. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: JSI F-14 in kit form?

Post by coreystinson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 am

rschaap wrote:I have not heard anything back from JSI as of yet. I sent an email to Merit Int'l to see if they had any word on the kit. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
If JSI does release a kit (or any other non-kit scheme) it will be far into the future and/or possibly be some sort of exclusive in a foreign country as was described elsewhere in this thread. If JSI and Merit do *anything* else while retailers are still sitting on inventory of the current F-14 then that will be equivalent to putting the final nail in the coffin. They know it, and thus it will not be happening.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 pm

coreystinson wrote:If JSI and Merit do *anything* else while retailers are still sitting on inventory of the current F-14 then that will be equivalent to putting the final nail in the coffin. They know it, and thus it will not be happening.
Corey,
Would you mind explaining more about this? I'm just curious about the state of affairs between JSI/Merit/retailers.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:18 pm

NWarty wrote:Corey,
Would you mind explaining more about this? I'm just curious about the state of affairs between JSI/Merit/retailers.
I don't have any specific inside information, but my point is that:

1) The consumer wasn't thrilled with the paint scheme on this model, which is pretty obviously a production mistake and that is putting it in the kindest words that I can muster.

2) Retailers (and I am sure I am not just speaking for myself) are not happy that the scheme solicited in advance was not the scheme manufactured. This has hurt the credibility of both Merit and JSI.

3) In my opinion both manufacturer and distributor have some "making up" to do regarding this situation. Most certainly, producing another model while your retailer network still has inventory of the prior model for which their are issues with consumer acceptance, would be *disastrous*.

Hence, my point is that it is highly unlikely that you will see another F-14 model in the near future, unless both JSI and Merit desire to completely destroy their relationship with retailers.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

mkxiv
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mkxiv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Well said Corey.

digger

Post by digger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 pm

coreystinson wrote: I don't have any specific inside information, but my point is that:

1) The consumer wasn't thrilled with the paint scheme on this model, which is pretty obviously a production mistake and that is putting it in the kindest words that I can muster.

2) Retailers (and I am sure I am not just speaking for myself) are not happy that the scheme solicited in advance was not the scheme manufactured. This has hurt the credibility of both Merit and JSI.

3) In my opinion both manufacturer and distributor have some "making up" to do regarding this situation. Most certainly, producing another model while your retailer network still has inventory of the prior model for which their are issues with consumer acceptance, would be *disastrous*.

Hence, my point is that it is highly unlikely that you will see another F-14 model in the near future, unless both JSI and Merit desire to completely destroy their relationship with retailers.
Very well put. I think we often forget that the companies' customers are the retailers. People always used to call for this or that and the company reps always had to explain that they could only make what the retailers would buy (and sometimes that is Target or WM and makes little sense).