1:18 Drought + Moving = BAD

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

1:18 Drought + Moving = BAD

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:00 pm

Not only is there a drought of new 1:18 releases, but my ENTIRE collection is packed up and most of it is in storage, to remain unseen and untouched until after we sell our house and move, which may be as much as six weeks. :cry:

Plus, if you've ever moved, you know it's MONTHS before you get your collection:

a. Unpacked
b. Displayed
c. Damage repaired

The good thing is, I packed everything myself, so I know it was done well, with lots of padding. I'm planning to move at least some things (F-16 & F-18s) myself, although we may hire a professional to move the bulk of the household.

Plus, once I do get to start unpacking, it will be almost as good as buying everything all over again. If anything DOES come out over the next couple of months, I can put it in a moving box and "unpack" it with the rest of the collection.... :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:04 pm

Whenever i moved in the past i always left one of my favourite items unpacked and on display until the day i moved. I found it very comforting...

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:36 pm

I've been renting a small place for the last 3 months. All of my XD is in storage too. I can barely stand it. I just went in and put an offer on a house today. My daughter always has to check out the basement to make sure there's room for our hobbys. I have made her a modern town on a 4X8 table. Unpacking will be like X-Mas in July. (If I get the house.)

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm

Most of my XD stuff is still in their boxes but neatly stored away in my garage cabinets. However, when I open up the cabinets all the items can be viewed front side facing. Not the best way to display them but at least the dust won't get to them for awhile.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:27 pm

I sort of know what you mean... I live at UCLA, where I go to school and go home only rarely as I live about four hours drive to the north in Fresno and don't have a car at school. Save for my XD M-113 (with BBI troop compliment) and Kiowa in 1:18, and a few tanks and a couple planes in 1:32, all the rest of my collection is at home! Within the past four months, I've only had the chance to see my collection for about 7 days.

To make matters worse, about half of it is in storage in my attic because my ceiling was redone and because my dad went through such hard work doing it, I don't want to hang 30+ model planes (of which about half were XD) back on it. Perhaps I need to find my own place that I can fill the ceiling and shelves with all my stuff...

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:20 pm

Tman, you may want to watch out for the items in the attic. If it gets as hot as it does here in Texas some of the items may be damaged by the heat. I suspect it gets hot in the cargo hold of a ship coming across the Pacific but I bet not as hot as our attic in July! Just a thought.
Todd

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:53 pm

Actually, thats a really good idea. In Fresno, it can get to over 100 for several days straight, which puts it at about 120 or so in the attic... I'll check on the stuff when I get home in a couple weeks. My inclination is that the items are OK. They are out of the box - actually all the planes are hanging - and the heat in Fresno is dry with little humidity. My younger brother kept his S1 XD Huey in the attic for a couple years with no consequences other than dust. Nonetheless, I will take in regard your suggestion!