real "Jolly Rogers" F-14 with spots

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

real "Jolly Rogers" F-14 with spots

Post by dragon53 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Here's a photo of a "Jolly Rogers" F-14 with SPOTS from VF-103 (VF-84's successor) above a desert oil refinery flown by Cmdr. Tom Lucas.
Hopefully, this may allow some of us JSI F-14 owners to feel a little better about the spot problem.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Just curious, but where did that pic come from..?? It looks like a flightsim pic to me, not a real aircraft.

Update: I did a little research and I'm now confident that the "photo" is in fact a screen capture from a flight simulator program, and the pilot "Tom "D-Day" Lucas is a flighsim pilot not a real naval aviator.
Here is the bio from the person that maintains the site... http://www.jolly-rogers.com/cag-pur.htm He's a flight simulator enthusiast, and I've seen enough flight simulator images to tell you that is not a real bird.
Last edited by ostketten on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Do you have a bigger picture?
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:19 pm

even if it's real it's a low viz paint scheme. Low viz paint weathered way worse than the high viz grey scheme of the JSI Tomcat. None of the planes represented by the JSI tomcat would ever have looked like that.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:20 pm

The photo is from the official Jolly Rogers website. I tried to find a larger size of the photo, but couldn't.

http://www.jolly-rogers.com/home2.htm

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:09 pm

This is the official VF-103 Jolly Rogers site...

http://www.vfa103.navy.mil/
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

snake

Post by snake » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Sorry Guys,

You are NOT going to find any picture of a real Tomcat that has anything resembling the polka dots on the JSI bird.

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Lookindg at those pics, where does the beige nose cone seen?

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Fritzkrieg wrote:Lookindg at those pics, where does the beige nose cone seen?
You need to look at the VF-84 Jolly Rogers.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 pm

snake wrote:Sorry Guys,

You are NOT going to find any picture of a real Tomcat that has anything resembling the polka dots on the JSI bird.
Agreed. There is no representation of a tomcat that looks anywhere close to the JSI bird. Even the flightsim picture that has extreme soot, it is random and not on every single panel. The JSI spots are too uniform in size and location throughout. When you do see any type of spot on a real aircraft it is random in shape to other "spots" and not nearly as numerous as the JSI depiction.
Ya'll can keep searching though if your trying to defend JSI's choice, I think it's a lost cause.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:31 pm

I agree. I have yet to comment on the numerous posts and comments on the JSI Tomacat. The paint is a total **** joke. Excuse my french but I have never preordered anything and never will again as this release is a disaster. Granted the model is overall awesome but to pay over $200.00 I want something that I should not have to repaint.
I happen to live by a fellow member here that goes by Kamikaze who does the giveaways etc. I visited him to pick up some goodies and for $200.00 it will make people sick if I told you what I picked up from him. Looking at all the stuff I picked up it is such a shame Ultimate Soldier had such screwed up marketing.
I think people that defend this debacle must be retailer selling this product or something related. I am a 1/18 collector and have not bought any of the previous JSI 1/18 releases and am totally pissed at this BS that I preordered. Sure it is a great model but again what the hell is this paint job. :evil: I am hoping for a F-15 decent release.

alf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by alf » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:25 am

the lost quest to the real dalmatien tomcat...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/al ... /f14-6.jpg

Got it but I can not spot it again anywhere on the internet. so no more reference to know if it's true or virtual.

anyway a paint spot is a paint spot.
Last edited by alf on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:31 am

judging by the overly large size of the pilots in the cockpit, i'd say for sure it's virtual.

And even if real, it's low viz paint, which weathered worse than the paint used on the Tomcat reprsented by JSI plus those aren't spots anyway, it's more a mottlled effect. JSI's tomcat has dots.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:33 am

I tried emailing the guy at the "Jolly-Rogers" site to ask him if it's a real or flightsim bird, and it was returned undeliverable. If it is indeed a real AC, perhaps the mottled effect is from flying thru those burning oil clouds... :lol: One thing is for sure... the site that the picture came from is not the official US Navy VF-103 website, which has a "dot-mil" U.S. military email address just like you'd expect, and if you look at the image gallery at the real "official" Jolly Rogers site you won't see anything remotely resembling the plane in the pic we've been discussing.

http://www.vfa103.navy.mil/

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 am

Here's the enlarged image. There are no spots! It's soot & weathering......so stop making excuses for JSI.

Besides, the photo is not the same bird ("A" model vs "B" model in image) and era (103 Sqdrn & lo-vis vs 84 Sqdrn & hi-viz).

Plain and simple, JSI screwed up the paint scheme and made "fantasy" livery.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:12 am

more like fantasy livery spots..

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Geez, guys. Don't shoot the messenger for the message. I have the JSI F-14, too, and I don't like the spots. I was trying to make everyone feel a little better about the spots. Some of you guys act like I'm the guy at JSI that ordered the spots painted on.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:02 pm

are you? are you the guy?? :x

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:17 pm

AFERGUSON:

Yes, at JSI my co-workers call me "101 Dalmations".
Next, I'm planning on an 1/18 F-15E based on the Dragon 1/72 F-15E with air-to-air missiles and no bombs.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 pm

dragon53 wrote:Geez, guys. Don't shoot the messenger for the message. I have the JSI F-14, too, and I don't like the spots. I was trying to make everyone feel a little better about the spots. Some of you guys act like I'm the guy at JSI that ordered the spots painted on.
Pick up your forks and pitches! Burn him! :lol:

FinTomcat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FinTomcat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:42 am

trex0770 wrote:Here's the enlarged image. There are no spots! It's soot & weathering......so stop making excuses for JSI.

Besides, the photo is not the same bird ("A" model vs "B" model in image) and era (103 Sqdrn & lo-vis vs 84 Sqdrn & hi-viz).

Plain and simple, JSI screwed up the paint scheme and made "fantasy" livery.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

wow take it easy. settle down

Tally Ho

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Pick up your forks and pitches! Burn him!
I don't have any forks or pitches, but I do have a hoe and a good heavy shovel that makes nice BOONK sound when you hit people in the head with it.

(Don't ask how I know about that last bit.)

Anyway, off with his head?

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Why do I see images of irate villagers with blazing torches and pitch forks at Doctor Frankenstein's castle?