JSI F-14 Tomcat Pros - The Good about the Tomcat

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:39 pm

ok, cool. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:52 pm

Paint:
The overall paint on the model is very well done. The glowing exception is the spots (covered in depth elsewhere). The rough areas you see in the picture above is the wing sweep area which, in real life, collects dirt and weather discoloration, because it is normally covered by the swept wing on the deck. So JSI weathered these areas more to simulate that collection of dirt. National and unit markings are crisp and mostly without defect....the colors appear dead on with several reference shots I have available. Very little overspray or fuzzy edges appear except where they would be appropriate. I have found a few areas where the paint was marred either by packaging or rubbing in the box during shipment, but they are few and very minor and can be easily fixed with a little effort. Even the landing gear has "dirt weathering" applied, but it's light and only enhances the 3D depth of recesses like in the wheel hubs and knuckle joints. Like this...
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Also, for another minor, but cool detail, JSI also moulded on the rough texture of the non-skid material atop the intakes. Overall, the panel lines are detailed quite crisply on the F-14, which you really have to see in person to get the whole effect. Even with the spots, I find it very difficult to stop looking at the F-14 as the model is simply fantastic and there are just so many little details to take in 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm

you know, with this model obviously being very well executed overall, you gotta wonder how those spots ever happened...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Look at the spots as a challenge....not a detractor.

Landing gear/arrester hook/speed brakes:
I understand why they did it...but it is frustrating none the less. The landing gear is FRAGILE! I can't say it any plainer. Be very careful when lowering or raising the gear. There are so many hinged joints it is easy to overlook one and force something beyond the breaking point. In order to keep the "scale" appearance, they made it that way on purpose. And the appearance works!! The gear is a thing of beauty. Also be careful when picking up or putting down the model. She weighs alot and it's easy to overstress something without knowing until it is too late (more on that later). All three gear legs have a functioning "oleo strut" that is spring loaded. The nose gear doesn't have alot of movement, but it is there. Both main legs are more moveable. However, once again be careful. Out of the box, my left main was free and moving....but the right was too tight and jams easy. I've oiled it and worked it some, but it still jams. I'll work on that more when I can build a cradle to hold her upside down. When sitting on all three legs, the model weighs so much that the legs are "wookeddy" and wobble noticeably. There is a small hook on the inside edge of the mains that helps keep the leg strainght when down and weighted by the model. They are very small and don't support much weight at all. I can see the main leg axles warping from the weight even now. If you don't plan on hanging the model in "flight mode" I would suggest some kind of support under the center bottom that will take the weight off the gear. The speed brakes (upper and lower) are openable and very attractive. Unfortunately, an "H" brace on one of the upper doors was missing. I suspect if fell off during shipping and worked its way out of the box. I can make another, so it's no big deal. The arrester hook is also done very nicely and to scale. The weak point, however, is the hinge point where it attaches to the fuselage bottom. A small pin keeps the hook up and it doesn't do very well. I picked the model up once to move it, and when I set it back down, the hook had fallen from the up-lock. When the weight of the model came down on it, one of the hingle plates attached to the bottom broke clean in half. Just another "challenge" that can be fixed easily.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Additional Exterior Details:
Boy! Where to start? The exterior is LOADED with details on details and they are beautiful. There is a multitude of TACAN/ECCM/ECC antenna as well as all the pitot/flight data probes. And they are all delicate....handle with care! Take special care when removing the forward fuselage from the foam packing....they can snag and break off. The boarding steps all come open, but I have one (the pilot's of coarse) that is stuck and refuses to open. I'll work on that later. The wing sweep is great. It moves forward and back (geared inside to keep them in synch) with ease. The LEX "glove vanes" do not open and close with the wing sweep. Easiest way to open them (when the wings are swept forward fully) is to stick your finger inside the forward gear well (mains) and reach a little forward. You can push them out from the inside easily. Nowhere in the instructions included in the box does it tell you how. Back to the wing sweep. They model accurately shows the wing sweep from fully forward to over-swept position. In flight, the wings sweep back until the leading edge of the wing forms a straight line from the LEX to the tip. Over-sweep the wings and there appears to be a bulge at the wing hinge along the leading edge. This is the way the real aircraft sweep functions. Tomcats have the ability to sweep the wings slightly more on the ground than when in flight. That allows the aircraft to be a few feet narrower on a carrier deck for parking clearance. The only time the wings are over-swept is when on the deck.
Last edited by Folkwulfe on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:17 pm

FOLKWULFE:

Thanks for the info. The sweep-wing info is very informative. It looks like JSI did their homework on designing the F-14.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Cockpit and Canopy:
The interior of the cockpit is also full of eye candy. Both ejection seats are extremely well done. The side consoles are also full of detail. The gages on the panels are a little lame, but the MFD's (or glass displays) are also very good. Here's another caution statement....since the scale appearance is right, most pilot figures will be a tight fit. I tried a BBI F-18 pilot figure....no good. I then tried a 21C F-86 pilot and it fits somewhat. He still sits too tall in the seat though. I'll have to work on that one too. The canopy is also very well detailed with rear view mirrors attached to the canopy frame. There is a rod/piston at the back of the canopy but it does not hold the canopy open. You will have to prop it open if that's the way you want it displayed. When you raise the canopy, there is an opening under the rear shelf. Something just the right size can be slid under (and out of sight) that the canopy will sit on and hold it open. Easiest way I can figure to do that. Lastly is the nose/radome. It attaches and hinges up from the top. Pull out slightly and twist it straight up and it will stay there on its own. The radar dish and it's mount are in there. The mount on mine is loose so the dish flops down as soon as you let it go. Just another fixer upper.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:08 pm

I forgot to mention....

Armorments:
The model comes with a full-up load for air-to-air missions. Included are the two "slipper" or drop tanks, two AIM 9 Sidewinders (for IR close-in a/c), two AIM 7 Sparrows (medium range radar guided air-to-sir), and four beautiful AIM 54 Phoenix missles (long range radar guided). Pylons and launch rails are represented except for the Phoenix. AIM 54 missles (as well as Sparrows) are ignited and "kicked" away from the aircraft immediately before the booster ignites....so there is no rail for them. While the Phoenix missles carry all the markings and stencils....there is very little on the Sparrows and Sidewinders. Also visible is the blast door for the M61 Vulcan 20mm gun. The opening in the blast door is very well done. The IR/TCS (Infared/Television Camera Set) pod under the nose used for targeting out to 60 miles rounds out the offensive suite...and it's a thing of beauty too.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 am

I recieved my F-14 Monday and opened it up on Tuesday. This thing is WOW all over!!! The F-14 is not at the top of my list in aircraft that I want in 1/18 scale, but man am I glad I chose to get one.

It's a beautiful model overall. Sure the weathering was bad, but the model itself is way above anything we have ever been given in 1/18 scale.

Here are few tidbits from me, some have already mentioned more than these:

Cockpit- Unbelievable detail in the cockpit. It appears that no guage or dial has been left out.

Landing Gear- For those of you that have always complained of unrealistic landing gear, you can't complain about it on this model. And it works. Simulated hydraulics and rubber tires... :D The landing gear may be somewhat fragile, but if you want it realistic in this scale, you should expect it to be. If your F-14's gear hasn't been damaged in transit for some reason, being gentle with it when you deploy/retract it will keep you from breaking it. I've worked mine several times and not had any issues with it. If anyone could simulate the F4 Wildcat's gear in 1/18 scale, I think JSI could after seeing what they've done with their F-14.

Engine Detail- Has anyone taken the time to look up the tail pipes of this thing? You can see turbine blades all the way through.....enough said... :D

Armament- A full compliment of armament that would be expected on an F-14. I know some have complained about how well it stays on, but mine attaches fine. No different than how bbi or 21st's armaments attach and stay on their aircraft.

Packaging- Unbelievable packaging. Admiral Toys took packaging to new levels and now JSI has taken it to the next. The foam inserts are truly a touch of class. The solid black box adds to the whole package.

Fit- I had very little to no fit issues with my F-14. The landing gear doors are fit and flush as could be expected. I consider this a great accompolishment in areas like the gear doors. When you see it in person, you have to appreciate what JSI has done with design and detail.

As I said before, overall this model is awesome. Now that there are several ways to remedy the weathering issues, I think those that don't add this one to their collections will be sorry in the long run. Especially if they ever see one in person.

After seeing what can/could be done with 1/18 scale jets, I really really hope and wish JSI or someone will do an A-10 in 1/18 scale to the level JSI has done their F-14. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be.

I give a thumbs up to JSI on their first attempt at producing an all new subject and such a massive one at that....... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:46 am

amen, Birddog, amen!

What a fantastic model, it blew my mind when I opened the box. The detail is beyond amazing.

people WILL be sorry they missed this release.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

I agree Birddog

Post by Mitch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:07 am

The F14 is Unbelievable - weathering is an easy fix. I would recommend anyone who is on the fence to Do It, you won't be sorry.

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Canopy Fix!!!

Post by deankleines » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm

I just figured out how to get the canopy to stay open!

With the battery compartment cover removed from the lower side of the cockpit section, you will find a slot which the clear canopy pivot tab protrudes down though. The tab has a notch which is supposed to engage the front of the slot and hold the canopy open.

There is not enough clearance for the notch to engage the slot.

Use a small needle file to relieve the front edge of the slot so that the notch on the tab has just enough clearance to grab the edge of the slot and hold the canopy open.

File and test in small bits. If you take off too much, the notch will not hold.

Best regards!

Dean

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:39 am

Another "pro" of the F-14, if we didnt have this, what the he#% else would we be discussing right about now in the 1:18 scale forum!!! :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 am

CW4USARMY wrote:Another "pro" of the F-14, if we didnt have this, what the he#% else would we be discussing right about now in the 1:18 scale forum!!! :wink:
The latest PTE releases, a ton of wishlist threads about items we would never likely see in 1:18 scale, and probably even more bickering over nonsense :P

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 am

tmanthegreat wrote:
CW4USARMY wrote:Another "pro" of the F-14, if we didnt have this, what the he#% else would we be discussing right about now in the 1:18 scale forum!!! :wink:
The latest PTE releases, a ton of wishlist threads about items we would never likely see in 1:18 scale, and probably even more bickering over nonsense :P
Agreed! that's why Im glad the F-14 is here :wink:

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

An Incredible F-14!!!!

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:01 am

Ok all you F-14 lovers...

I am preparing to super detail my JSI F-14 and have already taken steps to rebuild the nose strut for strength and additional authenticity.

This morning, I decided to try and remove the radar bulkhead to see what was inside and if I could easily separate the fuselage halves for detailing the cockpit.

I first had to use a razor saw to cut off the nose camera pod.

Then, I used a large flat bladed screw driver to pry out the locking tab on the refuling probe side of the radar bulkhead.

Ok, now the reveal!!!

When I looked inside to see how this bird was put together, I was dumbstruck at the quality of the engineering!!!!!!

Incredible!!!!!

For anyone who has not decided to buy one of these, and you really had your heart set on it, but were turned off by all the reported quality issues,
I say buy now!!!!

Everything on this bird can be fixed if need be.

We need to really encourage JSI to continue, not fall back.

Everything in life has start-up problems!!!!

Please e-mail me if you have questions.

This has been the modeling highlight of my entire life!!!

Thank you JSI!!!
Dean Kleines
[email protected]

glcanon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by glcanon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 am

deankleines.... you want to buy mine? If you wanna buy my special edition with these "minor" issues that can be "easily" fixed, I'm only asking you pay what I paid... $299.99 + $15 shipping. Actually, I'll discount it, you only pay $299.99 How's that?

I think all other JSI vendors still hv them in stock. What does that tell you?

Are you guys all waiting for discount? Here's your chance for a discounted special edition -- buy mine! It's presently with TKO awaiting re-paint. I told him not to bother. I'd rather hv my money back from the retailer or someone more modeling-inclined than myself.

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

So sad

Post by deankleines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I am very sorry!

Mine is perfect.

I don't understand....

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:21 am

Mine is perfect also. I feel very lucky.

phil

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Good Cats!!!

Post by deankleines » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:20 am

Yea Phil!!!!!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 am

Mine was great out of the box. With my repaint to take away the spots, it became even better. No landing gear issues to date and I fixed the one minor thing that was broken. I agree, the engineering on the F-14 model is incredible, but it is also one of its major drawbacks. Still, I've got one of the few good ones, so I'm happy :D

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

One of the good ones...

Post by deankleines » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

Awesome news !!!

Enjoy!

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Post by deankleines » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:04 pm

To all fence sitters!!!

I have the nose section completely disassembled.

Took pictures of each step.

Took about an hour.

Incredible!!!!

The engineering is exquisite!!!!

From a modeler's point of view, this would make an incredible kit!!!

You may call me if you care to discuss.

Home - 330-699-3228
Work - 330-374-3219

I can write you a step by step instruction if you like.

Now on to the really fun stuff!!!

Please spread the word. This baby is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

Best regards,

Dean

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:26 am

Folkwulfe wrote:Cockpit and Canopy:
The interior of the cockpit is also full of eye candy. Both ejection seats are extremely well done. The side consoles are also full of detail. The gages on the panels are a little lame, but the MFD's (or glass displays) are also very good. Here's another caution statement....since the scale appearance is right, most pilot figures will be a tight fit. I tried a BBI F-18 pilot figure....no good. I then tried a 21C F-86 pilot and it fits somewhat. He still sits too tall in the seat though. I'll have to work on that one too. The canopy is also very well detailed with rear view mirrors attached to the canopy frame. There is a rod/piston at the back of the canopy but it does not hold the canopy open. You will have to prop it open if that's the way you want it displayed. When you raise the canopy, there is an opening under the rear shelf. Something just the right size can be slid under (and out of sight) that the canopy will sit on and hold it open. Easiest way I can figure to do that. Lastly is the nose/radome. It attaches and hinges up from the top. Pull out slightly and twist it straight up and it will stay there on its own. The radar dish and it's mount are in there. The mount on mine is loose so the dish flops down as soon as you let it go. Just another fixer upper.
does the GiJoe 25th Ace with Vintage helmet fit or too big?
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.