PWP 1/18 Scale F-100 Super Sabre

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I'd get one except I hate working with resin. Its either to brittle or too plyable when warm or if you don't remove all of the release agents prior to painting the paint doesn't adhere well for it to be worth it to me. :evil: :evil:
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:09 pm

PWP- Pricey War Planes

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Given that PWP are charging $300+ for mods to existing models, the price of this is going to be huge.
No idea,but VERY expensive.

Strictly for hardcore,rich,collectors.

Nice to see it available though

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Just a quick photo review of the PWP RN Hellcat ($400 shipped) I bought in Oct this year. For chuckles I've also included some photos of the Skywave P-51 ($800 shipped)that I'd bought before MTS started listing the brand.

Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but that Hellcat does not look up to speed.

The paint looks a little sloppy and the decal jobs looks to be some what wanting.

Of course I do not paint stuff myself so what do I know ?

But if this is what they do , that F-100 maybe wanting as well. :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to hijack this topic, just showing recent examples of PWP's work to give an idea. After the hellcat was shipped but before arrival, MTS contacted me to let me know the next batch will be better.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:37 pm

pickelhaube wrote:I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but that Hellcat does not look up to speed.

The paint looks a little sloppy and the decal jobs looks to be some what wanting.

Of course I do not paint stuff myself so what do I know ?

But if this is what they do , that F-100 maybe wanting as well. :?
The decals were roughly cut out and applied without any setting solution or overcoat. That's why there are air bubbles and they shine.

The belly tank came broken and I was unable to find the parts in the box.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:27 am

I can't wait to see one protype ! does anybody knows when can we see it ? I hope to see a SEA vietnam war weary plane ... it will match my ADMIRAL SKYRAIDER :shock:

If i am correct there will be 2 versions : KIT & FINISHED ?

Boy, after such a long wait it's now an avalanche of good news ! (TOMCAT, X1, F 100 ....)

Philippe
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 am

I'll need detailed pictures before I spend over $500 for a plane. That's almost what a FO Tamiya tank will cost. :o

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 am

I want it, but just can't justify spending $500+ on a plastic airplane. F-14 (which I'm getting) cost is already pushing the envelope as far as I'm concerned....

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 am

chunks wrote:Just a quick photo review of the PWP RN Hellcat ($400 shipped) I bought in Oct this year. For chuckles I've also included some photos of the Skywave P-51 ($800 shipped)that I'd bought before MTS started listing the brand.

Dang chunks, run a swiffer over those dudes. :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:45 am

boy for that kind of money decal application should be much better. I can do a better job myself. And no setting solution? Are you sure? They look pretty conformal. But no top coat is not cool....i consider that a shabby job for the money.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 am

aferguson wrote:i bet it's over $800.
I guess it would be something around that, considering they're charging almost $400 for simple repaints.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:10 am

chunks wrote:Just a quick photo review of the PWP RN Hellcat ($400 shipped) I bought in Oct this year. For chuckles I've also included some photos of the Skywave P-51 ($800 shipped)that I'd bought before MTS started listing the brand.
Jesus, no matter what price, crap decal job is crap. :evil:

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:45 am

The decals look like stickers, have obvious raised ridges, one of the wing roundels actually has sections where it isn't even touching the model so the fact setting solution was used is doubtful. But yes, no topcoat to take the gloss finish away is totally unsat.

Isn't the underside of the wing and the fuselage section there the original bbi paint?

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Roundels? :shock: What you mean, roundels? All I see is some asymmetric decals that don't really deserve that name. :?

Seriously, I really can't see how a retailer (MTS in this case) allowed THAT to go out their door. It's a $400 custom (IIRC), for cyring out loud. A monkey with Alzheimer's would have done a better job. It's not even fourteen-year-old amateurish, it's more like five-year-old amateurish. I have had many things happen to me with decals over the years, but I never recall an instance of sharp creases like the ones in the pictures. :roll:

I really don't know what it is with this hobby and the QC issues at any price point, even with the built-to-order customs. I guess retailers and manufacturers alike have grown to expect that 1/18 scale collectors will put up with pretty much everything they throw at us, quality- and price-wise.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:39 pm

vmf214 wrote:Isn't the underside of the wing and the fuselage section there the original bbi paint?
It had been painted, but as the photo shows different shades were used almost by part. The photos don't due it justice. Besides the underside showing different shades the most noticeable in the photos would be the gray on the upper left wing. The inner non-folding is much lighter then the outer folding section. This is common throughout, but doesn't show up well in the photos. Sigh.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

can't wait to see it !

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:01 pm

This F 100 subject is another cause of anxiety ! i really hope that we will se it faster than the tomcat !

ca&n't wait ! 8)
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:07 pm

King O' Fools wrote:Roundels? :shock: What you mean, roundels? All I see is some asymmetric decals that don't really deserve that name. :?

Seriously, I really can't see how a retailer (MTS in this case) allowed THAT to go out their door. It's a $400 custom (IIRC), for cyring out loud. A monkey with Alzheimer's would have done a better job. It's not even fourteen-year-old amateurish, it's more like five-year-old amateurish. I have had many things happen to me with decals over the years, but I never recall an instance of sharp creases like the ones in the pictures. :roll:

I really don't know what it is with this hobby and the QC issues at any price point, even with the built-to-order customs. I guess retailers and manufacturers alike have grown to expect that 1/18 scale collectors will put up with pretty much everything they throw at us, quality- and price-wise.
I agree, I would have been furious to pay big bucks only to receive crap like that!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:08 pm

chunks wrote:
vmf214 wrote:Isn't the underside of the wing and the fuselage section there the original bbi paint?
It had been painted, but as the photo shows different shades were used almost by part. The photos don't due it justice. Besides the underside showing different shades the most noticeable in the photos would be the gray on the upper left wing. The inner non-folding is much lighter then the outer folding section. This is common throughout, but doesn't show up well in the photos. Sigh.
I had always assumed that PWP printed or sprayed their markings on for the price point they are charging. Did they send the decals with the plane and have you put them on yourself Chunks? I can't believe that what you are showing is the way they shipped it out for that price.
I consider myself an amateur and I've done much better work on decals. You got to spray a gloss coat or Future coat then put decals with setting solution, then another coat of either gloss or Flat depending on your desired finish - preferably several coats to hide the decal edges.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:40 pm

pcoughran wrote:
chunks wrote: It had been painted, but as the photo shows different shades were used almost by part. The photos don't due it justice. Besides the underside showing different shades the most noticeable in the photos would be the gray on the upper left wing. The inner non-folding is much lighter then the outer folding section. This is common throughout, but doesn't show up well in the photos. Sigh.
I had always assumed that PWP printed or sprayed their markings on for the price point they are charging. Did they send the decals with the plane and have you put them on yourself Chunks? I can't believe that what you are showing is the way they shipped it out for that price.
I consider myself an amateur and I've done much better work on decals. You got to spray a gloss coat or Future coat then put decals with setting solution, then another coat of either gloss or Flat depending on your desired finish - preferably several coats to hide the decal edges.
That's how it arrived, the decals were already applied.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 pm

For that money you could get the Skyworks P-51A. I was really impressed with my Shangrilah P-51. The modifications were flawless and blended with the model seamlessly. Really was excellent (no I don't work for Skyworks). That PWP Hellcat looks really sorry.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 am

Any idea on the price point on this?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:17 am

i was told by mts $500??

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:55 am

i thought it was more like $700; maybe they've dropped the price?

you can get a 60 inch long r/c one, for about 1/3 the price:

http://flyflyhobby.en.alibaba.com/produ ... m_fan.html

:P
i never met an airplane i didn't like...