JSI F14 this Saturday 12/05 @ Weekend of Hereos

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:27 am

tko211 wrote:
Black_Dragon_One wrote:
show her the real deal..it looks way better in person..
Don't get me wrong. This F-14 is gonna be cool! I don't need to see it in person to know that it's a beautiful model with lots of attention to detail but there is no fooling about the paint. The spots are bad, they look, well... bad.

The quote "that's what she said" is from the TV show the office. But- I did show my wife the pics on this site and said see- that's what we are getting in a few days. Gonna take up your whole kitchen table!

HER REPLY: Cute, it looks like a jungle cat. Reminds me of your Yellow Tiger Jet.

ME: Yup! (As I start a list in my head of what I will need from the Hobby store this weekend!).

Seriously though, I can appreciate the optimistic approach. And, you are right- It's a great plane and JSI did a good job on every bit of it except this weathering. Unfortunately, the paint is indeed bad and hard to overlook. It's not subtle at all. Not a deal breaker for me. I bought 2! -Super excited about them in fact. One thing I know for certain... I am gonna like it even more with out the spots!
just say if the paint was right did you wife mine about the size of this bird...it is big
whats up doc....

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

Post by stv9000 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm sorry folks but I was a handler in the navy and worked with cats in the 80's to early 90's. They are tom cats (tigers) not leopards. That being said the planes were continuously being touched up for corrosion so you would see multiple shades but this model just looks bad. A low vis cat like the preproduction pictures sure would have brought me back. From what I remember high vis paint was rarely seen on or by mid deployment.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks for the comparisons shots! The F-14 is huge, but not outrageously bigger than either the F-18 or F-16. For me, that is great as it meas I have space to display it. The spots, on the other hand, are bad. No way I can get around not saying that. At least the regular production variants will have them muted, or so we are told :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."